PDA

View Full Version : Please, help me!

Gestiv
Aug 9, 2004, 03:29 AM
Alright, well...

Two things before I start: I have absolutely NO knowledge of networking, and I do NOT have a router; just a cable modem, a 50 ft. ethernet cable connected to my GCN, and Comcast High-Speed Internet.

That being said...

A few days ago, I was playing PSO fine. But the other night, I tried to get on, and got error message No. 018 (about the DHCS server being down, or some such thing). I later found out that internet for my area had been temporarily shut off.

Now, when I try to log on, I get error message No. 015. I can still get on the internet on my computer fine (As I said before, I don't have a router, so when I play online I must unplug my computer's connection and plug in an ethernet cable connected to my GCN), but when I try to get on w/ PSO, I get the error message.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on, and what I can do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

P.S. I posted this in the sticky guide, too. I just wanted to cover all bases.

BrokenHope
Aug 9, 2004, 04:58 AM
Have you tried power cycling your modem? which means powering it off for a few seconds, then turning it back on wait till the ready light is stable then try and connect again.

Kadavreski
Aug 9, 2004, 10:03 AM
On 2004-08-09 02:58, Broken Hope wrote:
Have you tried power cycling your modem? which means powering it off for a few seconds, then turning it back on wait till the ready light is stable then try and connect again.

he doesn't use a modem >_>

yes, that works with my NTL broadband home modem...so maybe you'll need a reuter.

Gestiv
Aug 9, 2004, 10:55 AM
No, I use a modem... there's no power switch on it, though.

Would it work if I unplugged it from the power and plugged it back in?

Rich_T
Aug 9, 2004, 11:42 AM
Yes.

Gestiv
Aug 9, 2004, 12:49 PM
EDIT: See below post

It worked! =D

Thanks a lot, everyone. You've made my day!

For future purposes, if I need to power cycle it again, is there anything I should know?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gestiv on 2004-08-09 11:11 ]</font>

Gestiv
Aug 9, 2004, 01:10 PM
Damnit!

Well, here's the sequence of events since reading the post about power cycling:

I power cycled my modem, and then tried to play PSO online. I got it, and got online. All was good, and I decided I would post a thank you on PSOW, just to update everyone about my status in the situation.

When my computer tried to load my internet browser, however, it wouldn't work. So, I decided I'd try AOL. No luck there, either. First I figured my computer was just being weird, so I restarted. Still not working. Then, I figured maybe my browser wasn't working because I had a window to this very help topic open at the time I did the first power cycle. So, I power cycled again, and, sure enough, my browser was working fine. I couldn't figure out why, but it was working, and that was good enough for me.

With a sigh of relief, I posted my thank you, and did whatever else I needed to do on my computer before going on PSO.

I plugged in the ethernet cable, and went into the other room to play PSO. I go through the motions, and get to the internet loading screen-thing. All of a sudden it pauses, and boom: Message No. 015 again.

What's going on? Am I going to have to power cycle every time I switch between my computer internet and PSO?

Ketchup345
Aug 9, 2004, 02:20 PM
Apparently you will have to power cycle every time you switch the connection. :-/

You could invest about $60 Us to fix this by buying a router and another ethernet cable.

Gestiv
Aug 9, 2004, 02:43 PM
Aw.... crap!

Well, I found a good deal for a netgear router, w/ a free ethernet cable...

Bah... I didn't wanna have to shell out any money for this, but I guess it's about time we got a router, anyway...