PDA

View Full Version : AVP (possible spoiler, but it's a small one)

Gnarled_rose
Aug 14, 2004, 10:48 AM
Well, saw it last night. Gotta say, I was expecting more, but it WAS cool to see aliens and predators moving fluidly. (id est, NOT like a guy in a rubber suit) The effects were cool and kinda made me think. But I thought the ending was kinda lame, when you take into account the scientificality of it all. I mean, a creature that survived for thousands of years, without food or even movement, will certainly be able to wait out the destruction of a 100 year old tank of...something. Or even just tear it apart. Was this the best way the writers could come up with to try and set up a sequel? Lousy idea, deus ex machina if you ask me.
My only question about the entire thing is: Is the game worth buying?

(P.S. Please, people who haven't seen it, don't ask "Who wins?!?!?!?!" I prefer to think of it as: Aliens will always tear things apart, Predators will always tear things apart, and humans don't need ANY help at all when it comes to killing other humans.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gnarled_rose on 2004-08-14 08:48 ]</font>

Aredhel
Aug 14, 2004, 11:27 AM
I wanted to go see it last night, but there was a hurricane.

Is that a good enough excuse? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I'm really not expecting much (especially with a PG-13 rating), but I know it's a prequel to the aliens movies - so of course, nobody 'wins'. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

To answer your question: YES. The AvP games are definitely worth it! AvP 2 is an excellent computer game that will, at moments, scare the crap out of you. I've sort of nick-named it 'running backwards in the dark, around corners, at 10% health with acid spraying on you whenever you shoot something' http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Ok, so maybe that's just the Marine campaign, but it's really a worth-while action FPS. And at $20... c'mon http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Guntz348
Aug 14, 2004, 11:43 AM
The reason the Queen was still alive in there but couldnt move was because she was frozen. They used liquid nitrogen, or the Pred equivalent, and froze her there so they could bring her back for the hunt. The stuff I had problems with was when the Pred's saw the aliens on the thermal spectrums. If you saw Aliens you'd remeber that the only way they could detect them was with the motion trackers. They even have Hudson switch to infer red and thermal and he picks up nothing. Maybe the Pred's imaging scans are more advanced though.

I liked it though, I mean I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as the old ones, I just wanted to see them fight on the big screen and anyone whos seen it can tell you that the fight scenes are great and very well done. I wonder how many of the Alien scenes where done with metal exoskelton robots like they were done in the originals.

And am I the only one that thought it took the movie a while to get rolling?

****Ok, serious spoiler alerts here****

Ok for the ending they did that really just to set up a sequal. Since its a prequal to the Aliens movie then obviously the Pred's have to win and the humans have to live in order to get up to the point where the later movies take place.

I liked how they set up the Bishop character and how the Corporation was introduced too. The plot, while far fetched, at least did a decent job of explaining how the Corp. got started and how and why they knew about the Aliens when Ripley came back from the first movie.

My main problem was with the campy-ness the movie took on at the end. I understand why the girl was the main hero and only surviver, but the whole sword and shield he made for her and giving her Arnolds line... I mean yeah it's in there as a throw back, as are a few other things, but it just got too campy for me at the end.

And when they dropped the queen into the ocean, that wouldnt kill her. In the Aliens movies they dropped the Queen into space and she didn't die. She still managed to crawl back onto the ship, the only thing that killed her was when Ripley fired up the thrusters and incinerated her. And more so, the most it would've done was just freeze her. Since the Corp's only way to learn what happened and learn about the Aliens would be through the girl, she must have told them about the queen thats now under the ice. If they wanted the Aliens so bad why just go and dig her up instead of sending out the marines to the Colony? Maybe they did and that part of the story was just not shown yet who knows. All and all it wasnt too bad, decent action movie and pretty enjoyable. I just want the DVD so I can see all the unedited chest burster scenes ^_^

Allos
Aug 14, 2004, 01:05 PM
The movie wasn't terrible but I was expecting more. I think they made a mistake in toning it down to PG-13. I also thought it was waaaaaaay too predictable.

GuerillaPimp
Aug 14, 2004, 06:12 PM
my brother and I theorized that the Predator ship is actually the spaceship from the very first Alien movie...

Allos
Aug 14, 2004, 10:27 PM
On 2004-08-14 16:12, GuerillaPimp wrote:
my brother and I theorized that the Predator ship is actually the spaceship from the very first Alien movie...

Yeah but that doesn't work out at all. The bodies on that ship were huge and the ship doesn't even match the predator's ship.

Zzzzzz
Aug 14, 2004, 10:41 PM
On 2004-08-14 11:05, Allos wrote:
The movie wasn't terrible but I was expecting more. I think they made a mistake in toning it down to PG-13. I also thought it was waaaaaaay too predictable.

Exactly.

Aredhel
Aug 15, 2004, 12:01 AM
On 2004-08-14 16:12, GuerillaPimp wrote:

Yeah - the "boneship" from the first Alien movie was actually from a far-off alien species that had first kept the aliens as pets. Evidently, it didn't work out so well for 'em...

Didn't you ever read the graphic novels??? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

GuerillaPimp
Aug 15, 2004, 06:04 PM
Na, im not to much of a novel/comic reader. But i am noticing that this Paul Anderson clown is really screwing up video game to movie, and from what ive seen comic/novel to movie. Come on now pg-13?? It's like going to see a pg-13 Jason movie or something. But like someone mentioned earlier, with a pg13, all the lil kiddies can get their last movie before going back to school. While us 'adults' have to suffer thru it.

opaopajr
Aug 15, 2004, 10:26 PM
it was pretty good. i expected a lot more combat between the predators and aliens, and a hell of a lot more ass kicking. but a semi-workable plot was a nice touch, probably setting up for a franchise (there's *going* to be sequels, from at least a couple points).

i expected the humans to be stuck in between and be torn a new one, but i really didn't want to see all that much of it. humans don't stand much of a chance between these two, so it doesn't really do anything for me to see any real quantity of it. aside from a spattering of interesting AVP scenes and a really funky pyramid/labrinth it was a cute walkthrough and setup for a franchise.

also my friend helped explained that those predators were in training which helped put things in perspective before i lost all patience with the movie. later in the movie they reinforced that point, explaining the challenge factor for the predators.

could've been better, and there are a few things i would've not done, but overall a decent movie - and a hell of a lot better looking than anything coming up from the trailers. ewww.... such horrible movies coming up.
****************spoiler talk***************

honestly didn't like that whole gene-splicing twist at the end with the predator-alien hybrid popping out of the dead predator's stomach. friend didn't notice it, but the alien popped out with the look of an alien but with the added mandibles of a predator on the side of the mouth. i don't like that it is taking the story into some alien-predator hybrid that invades a predator ship etc... seems like poor writing and inconsistent storytelling. aliens (outside of stupid, stupid, stupid, aliens 4) didn't have genetic-interbreeding. and considering the time continuum of even aliens 4 there's no reason to add this either. very bad idea.

also the queen *dying* in the frozen abyss of the ocean without follow up predators finishing it off screams sequel and is poor storytelling again in my opinion. i don't remember much about the resilience of the aliens against cold, pressure, and suffocation, but it just seems like a rather easy pick off point as well. meh, a nitpick, but preventing things like this makes better art (which often sells more), so hench i must pick.

opaopajr
Aug 15, 2004, 10:40 PM
**************spoiler talk edit!****************

(i hate doing this, wish people would grow up and not read such message board threads if they really didn't want to be exposed to spoiler stuff... hell i can deal with a few spoilers. whatever, rant.)

i also didn't dig how antarctica became a rather comfortable place to vacation with light jackets. especially at the end where she takes off just about all her outer wear (alien acid) and is left to exposure at the end of the movie. she should've died within the time frame of that scene if that really was antarctica (the place is cold. real cold. with obscene wind chill factor. we're talking -50 ~ -100 wind chill regularly.) most of the continent faces routine 100 mph winds weather, some places 200 mph winds (yes, it should scare the bejeesus outta ya). just because they are on an off-the-coast island doesn't mean they are suddenly in the bahamas. this place has never been inhabited/colonized without heavy amounts of equipment for a reason.

after all her talk about the dangers of exposure and ice it was relegated to a brisk day in the hamptons. no frostbite, no gasping from pain from the frigid air biting their lungs, no icicles developing off of runny noses, no eye-shutting-curling-up-into-a-ball-wanting-to-die type of cold, just some inconveniencing cold snap at the south pole, lah-tee-dah... kinda spoiled the mood.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2004-08-15 20:41 ]</font>

Arislan
Aug 15, 2004, 11:19 PM
As for gene-splicing/changing of species for Aliens, that's how it works. The facehugger will plant the egg, and much like a human child, half the DNA comes from the host. Hence the ultra fast stealthy dog Alien of Alien 3, and Pred-aliens. Although the Coporation had a lot to do with Pre-Aliens in the game.

My nitpicks (Spoilers of course)

Predators don't go down to a hunting planet on their own when unblooded. Their first hunt is done under the supervision of a hunt leader, who then bloods them in his mark, to show his training.

Unblooded coming down without burners? Relgated to using burners that have been gathering dust for 100 years? What the... Unblooded are looked at like children on a Predator ship, and as such, would not be allowed to go into something so dangerous without a burner. Hell, it's considered arrogance to take on an Alien without any weapons but wrist blades.

Did the soldier girl have some kind of super DNA or something? Creating an Alien with a hyper long tail, capable of crashing through walls and not caring, blood that eats through *Predator metal*!? Cool movie-wise I guess, but that was way out of the mythology.

They cut out pretty much any chance of using the Machiko Noguchi storyline in another movie by having this prissy bitch (yes, both prissy and bitchy) befriend and be blooded by a Predator. I *so* wanted to see that made into a movie, like the original script called for. Would have been great. Now, without some major changes, can't happen. ::sigh::

Overall, loved the movie, great. Changes made to mythology, I don't like, but it doesn't destroy anything, just changes things, unlike say... Midichlorians and Star Wars.

RavenTW
Aug 16, 2004, 09:12 AM
On 2004-08-14 09:43, Guntz348 wrote:
The reason the Queen was still alive in there but couldnt move was because she was frozen. They used liquid nitrogen, or the Pred equivalent, and froze her there so they could bring her back for the hunt. The stuff I had problems with was when the Pred's saw the aliens on the thermal spectrums. If you saw Aliens you'd remeber that the only way they could detect them was with the motion trackers. They even have Hudson switch to infer red and thermal and he picks up nothing. Maybe the Pred's imaging scans are more advanced though.

If you noticed, the Pred's imager went from blue (heat imaging) to green (alien imaging) when he used the laser cannon.

Yeah, it was predictable. But it wasn't built to be a gothic horror movie. It was built to have a fight between an Alien and a Predator. Sadly, it would have been nice if there were no human survivors, and if one side actually won. We need a Vs. movie where one person wins and stays the winner (Freddy's still alive, the Alien pops back out, etc.)

epeon
Aug 18, 2004, 12:42 PM
On 2004-08-16 07:12, RavenTW wrote:

On 2004-08-14 09:43, Guntz348 wrote:

If you noticed, the Pred's imager went from blue (heat imaging) to green (alien imaging) when he used the laser cannon.

Yeah, it was predictable. But it wasn't built to be a gothic horror movie. It was built to have a fight between an Alien and a Predator. Sadly, it would have been nice if there were no human survivors, and if one side actually won. We need a Vs. movie where one person wins and stays the winner (Freddy's still alive, the Alien pops back out, etc.)

great, i wanted to see the movie, but now....i know the damn ending -_-

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 18, 2004, 01:39 PM
On 2004-08-15 20:40, opaopajr wrote:
i also didn't dig how antarctica became a rather comfortable place to vacation with light jackets. especially at the end where she takes off just about all her outer wear (alien acid) and is left to exposure at the end of the movie. she should've died within the time frame of that scene if that really was antarctica (the place is cold. real cold. with obscene wind chill factor. we're talking -50 ~ -100 wind chill regularly.) most of the continent faces routine 100 mph winds weather, some places 200 mph winds (yes, it should scare the bejeesus outta ya). just because they are on an off-the-coast island doesn't mean they are suddenly in the bahamas. this place has never been inhabited/colonized without heavy amounts of equipment for a reason.

Antarctica isn't as cold as you think. In fact, it isn't NEARLY as cold as you think. Believe it or not, the continent actually has a number of green areas. The following photos actually make the place look rather pleasent--

http://www.antarcticaonline.com/antarctica/photos/images/antarcti/wildlife/birds/albatros/anbia001.JPG http://www.antarcticaonline.com/antarctica/photos/images/antarcti/wildlife/seals/antarfur/ansea001.JPG http://www.antarcticaonline.com/antarctica/photos/images/antarcti/wildlife/birds/skuas/anbis001.JPG

The continent only dips down to obscenely low temperatures during the Polar Night (Winter). During the Summer, however, it gets 20 hours of daylight, everyday. Now it did look dark in the movie, but if memory serves me properly, the movie takes place in October, which is a Spring month on the Southern Hemisphere; this indicates to me that there was at least SOME sun exposure, which means that though it was very cold, it wouldn't have been near its extremes.

I've personally walked around without a jacket in sub-freezing temperatures (jeans and a t-shirt, no less), and while "cold" is the word to describe it, it's not that bad. In fact, in Norway, which has a climate very similar to Antarctica's, it takes 5 minutes in the Winter, to freeze a child's skin-- but that's only a problem in the Winter, and doesn't apply to adults.

So in short, while she may've been rather uncomfortable, she shouldn't have been in any life-threatening danger from the cold.

And personally... I liked the movie. I'm not an uber-huge fan of the Predator and Alien movies, though as someone who is fairly familiar with them, I found AvP to be simply entertaining.

DarthFomar
Aug 19, 2004, 10:35 PM
I am a big Aliens/Predator freak.....so, of course, I enjoyed the movie. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I actually thought the whole movie made sense {or at least 99% of it}. And did anyone know that Weyland's legacy played a small role in the "The Company" from "Aliens". That's why "Bishop", the android from Aliens 2, looks like Weyland from AVP...because he is an artificial replication of "Charles Bishop Weyland". http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And, of course the "Predators" could see where the Aliens and the Humans were. They came prepared for the hunt, unlike the researchers who had no clue what they were stepping into.

Also, the Queen may be powerful but not even she can fight off liquid nitro. Nor can she free herself from an icy graveyard at the bottom of the Antarctic.

What really kind of boggled me, though, was how long the alien symbiote stayed in stasis the last half of the movie before finally coming to it's senses. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The other thing that bothered me. Why is this the second movie by Paul Anderson I've seen that uses a map system throughout most of the movie, not to mention the fact that the map refers to something underground. Does "Resident Evil" come to mind. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

All in all I can't say I expected anything more than what I got. So, I enjoyed it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-08-19 21:34 ]</font>

Aredhel
Aug 19, 2004, 11:04 PM
HMMMM. Alien Resurrection left the ending and the look of earth sorta nebulous - I wonder if somehow the Queen is thawed-out and we get to see the earth overrun by xenomorph ala Aliens: Earth War in the next Aliens movie. THAT would be the shit. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

opaopajr
Aug 20, 2004, 02:29 PM
the greenery in antactica happens in areas where it is farther inland and more exposed to the big ozone hole. they were on an island off the coast. that is one of the most miserable places on the planet consistently, winter or summer. the water's frigidness along with the specific heat of water makes areas there unbearably cold (this specific heat of water issue is the same reason europe isn't frozen stiff like parts of asia, due to the nice warm water from the caribbean and gulf of mexico - which explains why norway is bearable yet siberia is the 9th ring of hell). the wind is also constant in this region of the planet. the wind in this region is so consistent that just outside of the frozen area of the ocean there is a continuous circle of @60ft swells going around and around that parallel. sailors loathe going past the 60degree parallel because of this, in fact they basically say you are in the hands of god at that point (ask the australian coast guard).

the place is below freezing in an isolated part of the world (where the air is surprisingly still...?); there's no way she can exert that much effort in such weather (oustide the ice cave) in that amount of clothing and then survive without collapsing into a puddle shivering from hypothermia. her adrenaline can't last that long. remember the *only* comparable landscape to antarctica is siberia. yes, even siberia has some clumps of grass grow during the summer months, does that mean it is as survivable a la scandinavia? hell no. absolutely. resoundingly. hell. no. there's a reason no civilization colonized siberia like they did scandinavia. the cold is a death sentence in waiting.

i know i may sound like i'm harping like some jamaican in boston about cold, but really, there's no way to really emphasize how disruptingly comfortable this movie made antactica feel. especially after so much effort from the main character to punctuate the dangers of frozen landscapes. antarctica is nowhere near as comfortable as they made it - it's the most extreme cold landscape in our world. unless you have biologically adapted to such conditions like those animals in the pictures (a la layers of fat and specialized feather/fur insulation) you're gonna crumple in a heap if you are just wearing light clothing like she was at the end. and don't get me started on those light windbreaker-looking jackets beforehand... it was all around a bad representation of the conditions there.

Night_Shadow
Aug 20, 2004, 10:47 PM
Liked the movie when it go rolling but i think the queen would die from freezing mainly because when in the pyramid she was alive because of an advanced control freezing mechanism instead of natural freezing.
Besides alien 1 was wrong because they just made a plot hole by not having the alien die from depressurization or pressurization or whatever. thats the thing about sci-fi IT DOESNT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!

I liked how they showed bishops habit in weyland when he is sitting in front of the computer and he does the thing with the pen between his fingers the bishop does in aliens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Shadow on 2004-08-21 15:00 ]</font>

PhotonDrop
Aug 21, 2004, 02:14 AM
I MIGHT SPOIL THINGS HERE

I enjoyed watching this movie a lot now id just like to say one thing about the rather skilled Pred.

I feel sorry for him, having n00bs hunting with him and having idiot humans taking their damn laser guns.

Now for the main part:

I didn't like a few parts, i mean Preds arent idiots, even the newbies would try to fight back.

Pred 1 gets owned because he was distracted by trying to kill a human and gets an Aliens tail through the gut then watches as the bastard smashes its second mouth into his forehead. Please, there was nothing wrong with his arms, he could have killed the Alien. (And if you're gonna make the movie PG-13 the makers could have at least had the Pred say to the Alien "you are one ugly mother fucker" instead of the girl)

Pred 2 i dont quite remember what happened to him but it was similar to Pred 1

then near the end when the last Pred and the girl are fighting the Queen, Pred took the Queens tail through his back, wouldnt that have killed the Chest burster inside of him?

final things since im not that organised of a person:

The Alien Head Shield is cool, i want one

The Preds Nets appeared to close on the Alien faster than the guy

The creators did a great job with the Uber-pred at the end, just a glance and you could tell he was the head honcho of the tribe.

Night_Shadow
Aug 21, 2004, 04:58 PM
On 2004-08-21 00:14, PhotonDrop wrote:
I MIGHT SPOIL THINGS HERE

I enjoyed watching this movie a lot now id just like to say one thing about the rather skilled Pred.

I feel sorry for him, having n00bs hunting with him and having idiot humans taking their damn laser guns.

Now for the main part:

I didn't like a few parts, i mean Preds arent idiots, even the newbies would try to fight back.

Pred 1 gets owned because he was distracted by trying to kill a human and gets an Aliens tail through the gut then watches as the bastard smashes its second mouth into his forehead. Please, there was nothing wrong with his arms, he could have killed the Alien. (And if you're gonna make the movie PG-13 the makers could have at least had the Pred say to the Alien "you are one ugly mother fucker" instead of the girl)

Pred 2 i dont quite remember what happened to him but it was similar to Pred 1

then near the end when the last Pred and the girl are fighting the Queen, Pred took the Queens tail through his back, wouldnt that have killed the Chest burster inside of him?

final things since im not that organised of a person:

The Alien Head Shield is cool, i want one

The Preds Nets appeared to close on the Alien faster than the guy

The creators did a great job with the Uber-pred at the end, just a glance and you could tell he was the head honcho of the tribe.

the tail went through his stomach not his chest. and maybe the pred did say it and we dont understand it cause it cant speak english.

Fireal
Aug 23, 2004, 06:19 PM
Blah De Blah, Spoiler Alert.

Why oh why did they make this movie a PG-13??
The other Predator/Alien films are all 18.
By making it a PG-13 meant they had to cut half of the scary stuff, all of the gory stuff, and most of the swearing (don't care so much for the swearing).

It is silly in this film how people are impregnated then have the chestburster emerge five minutes later, when in all the other films it took considerably longer for the chestburster to mature.
The chestbursters also seemed to mature in 5 minutes, where-as they took longer in the other films.
(They were not down in the temple for anything more than 48hrs).

The Pred-Alien had to come at the end, because besides the 'who would win' mystery, the 'what would a Pred-Alien look like?' was the next big question.
Now we know, just 'what will become of it?' is the new question.

So they have set themselves up for two sequals , one about the Pred-Alien, and the other about Aliens on Earth.

I relatively enjoyed this film, but it doesn't compare to any of the films in either of these franchises, due to the huge lack of suspense.

Gnarled_rose
Aug 24, 2004, 06:49 AM
On 2004-08-23 16:19, Fireal wrote:
I relatively enjoyed this film, but it doesn't compare to any of the films in either of these franchises, due to the huge lack of suspense.
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I think that about sums it up. But the good news is, we already have a game based off the "franchise", which means we don't have to worry about one being created later on.

Night_Shadow
Aug 25, 2004, 01:39 PM
I cant wait till christmas 2004 when *AVP THE MOVIE THE GAME comes out

*not actual title

Gnarled_rose
Aug 25, 2004, 10:10 PM
Wait, wait, wait...a game, based on a movie, which recreated a game...based on a movie (I've been told there was an old AvP movie. Is that incorrect?) which was based on TWO movies? I smell capitalism...

DarthFomar
Aug 26, 2004, 06:26 AM
On 2004-08-25 20:10, Gnarled_rose wrote:
I smell capitalism...

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Isn't that the big thing these days. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

On 2004-08-25 11:39, Night_Shadow wrote:
I cant wait till christmas 2004 when *AVP THE MOVIE THE GAME comes out

*not actual title

Are you sure it's an "AvP" game? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I've heard and seen of a game called "Predator: Concrete Jungle", but not of another AvP game.

Anyway, if there is another one...bring it on, I loved the others. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shrevn
Aug 26, 2004, 11:46 AM
I dont remember much from the first movies since i watched them when i was a youngbuck... but im wondering wtf is the mother alien doing locked up in the basement you can say... of the pyramid thingy...
and how did the aliens get there...? lol did i miss somenthing?
I know the predators kicked their ass and all that so did they lock them down in there? i mean why didnt they just kill them? and the mother alien...