PDA

View Full Version : magic or traps

Tolar
Aug 14, 2004, 08:28 PM
What do you like better magic or traps

its probably a stupid question cause you can freez enemies with RAbarta, blast em with foie lv.20, and you cant confuse with magic..... i think

SpyroDi
Aug 14, 2004, 09:40 PM
Damage Traps compared to Foie: Ra/Gifoie is a crapload better. You can use Damage Traps if you need some stall or slight damage,though.

Freeze Traps compared to Rabarta: It's close,but I think Freeze Traps are better. While Rabarta can do alot of damage,it's not a guaranteed freeze status.

Confuse Traps: Pretty handy,actually. Especially in the Ruins.

In an unbiased manner,I'd say that it's nearly impossible to say which is better because only Androids can use Traps,and only FOrces can use offensive Techniques effectively. It all depends on the situation,and your style and preference. If you want to make the most of both,join or create a team with both a 'cass and FOrce.

Jason
Aug 14, 2004, 09:50 PM
For me, magic is better. It lasts longer, and there are decent selections. Traps? You run out, and you'll have to return to Pioneer 2 to get some more. For magic with enough TP, it lasts longer as it can be recovered by fluids. And for traps, FO's will laugh at them (and they can use traps in Battle Mode). Oh, and magic can heal too. There are no traps you can carry that can heal you. Also with magic: you can decrease the enemy's defense/attack power; having light and dark magic; increase player(s)'s defense/attack power; casting a telepipe instead of depending on a telepipe from boxes/enemy's drop/shop; can revive a player; casting varies of fire, ice, and lightning spells (only forces have all of these magic abilities of course, but are still useful for what hunters and rangers are limited to have)... Sure, no ability to confuse enemies but with all that magic can do I'm fine without that and I'm fine without getting to freeze enemies with a 100% chance. Plus, newman characters' TP can be recovered without anything. Once a trap is used, that trap is bye bye, "Time for a new trap!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jason on 2004-08-14 20:19 ]</font>

zathura2
Aug 14, 2004, 09:56 PM
Not to mention, the simple fact of being able to heal yourself with resta instead of having to rely on mates. Especially if you're a hunter, one full bar of tp alone will cast enough resta's to make up for a full 10 mates. Add that in with some difluids, and you can keep yourself healed in the toughest fights without worrying about running out.

The only downside is that casting any tech takes time, sometimes this allows enemies to hit you, where if you use mates, it's instaneous and you can heal while on the run.

Garm
Aug 15, 2004, 06:08 AM
if a cast/caseal doesnt move it will regenerate hp fast! actually at lvl 120 I regenerate a lot each second and I only carry mates for my mags... plus the Rangers can use a frozen shooter wich makes up for the freeze traps, a bazooka for the damage and a good confusing wep (dont know a rare one) for confuse traps to pwn the forces http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. The hunters just slash 'em in pieces with a red sword. another disadvantage of the forces: fluids cost more than mates and since they need to spam alot of techs it will be expensive for them (can be solved with a melee force)

Eihwaz
Aug 16, 2004, 01:07 AM
Uh, techs by far. Deal damage a variety of ways, freeze/shock enemies, and heal yourself/team mates. Also Shifta, Deband, Jellen, and Zalure, which are godly. This is why I've never gotten a droid over level 52.

Jasam
Aug 16, 2004, 04:48 AM
I you havn't got a driod to a high level then you don't have mush to arguee with.... at higher levels, droids have a lot of traps and fast regeneration... and as far as traps v techs go... well, forces get resta.... thats the main thing, if you ignore resta traps a normally a lot more useful, in the case of freze and confuse traps... Although to be honest I prefer having techs, you can not ignore the useful ness of traps.... besides i NEVER run out of traps.. unless i'm in the ruins or have gone trough all the other areas steaight. besides, if your not soloing and someone else can give you resta (and maby some s/d/j/z) then gimme a droid anyday.

Tycho
Aug 16, 2004, 04:50 AM
I assume youre trying to choose between an android Hu and a Humar/Huney.
It's like this: do you want to be able to fight on yourself easily? Go for the techniques.
Are you planning to play with other people who know magic well (huney/ramarl or fo)? Go for a bot.

Deuce
Aug 16, 2004, 09:11 AM
For low level hunters in ultimate, freeze traps > all magic. You get to freely attack enemies while there is no possible chance that the freeze trap will not freeze them.

Eihwaz
Aug 16, 2004, 09:50 AM
On 2004-08-16 02:48, Jasam wrote:
I you havn't got a driod to a high level then you don't have mush to arguee with.... at higher levels, droids have a lot of traps and fast regeneration... and as far as traps v techs go... well, forces get resta.... thats the main thing, if you ignore resta traps a normally a lot more useful, in the case of freze and confuse traps... Although to be honest I prefer having techs, you can not ignore the useful ness of traps.... besides i NEVER run out of traps.. unless i'm in the ruins or have gone trough all the other areas steaight. besides, if your not soloing and someone else can give you resta (and maby some s/d/j/z) then gimme a droid anyday.

True. I do plan to make a HUcl and stick with her long enough, so I can get a better feel for other playing styles. Traps may be useful, but I prefer techs, personally.

Midnight
Aug 16, 2004, 10:35 AM
ive always preferred traps, there are too many techniques, and then i have to worry about my TP count, and fluids, what every enemy is weak too...whereas with traps i can just set it, freeze/confuse/damage em, and shoot em to death...

RadiantLegend
Aug 16, 2004, 11:18 AM
I prefer traps... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif since my main char is an andriod.
>.< but i miss been able to jellen things.

Gjl
Aug 16, 2004, 01:18 PM
Traps. Offensive techniques suck in Ult and androids can mop up enemies in Norm->V Hard very easily without any support so tech usefulness in these difficulties is a moot point to be honest.

I hardly ever use damage traps, although they're great for killing those bastard slimes and dark gunners (although freeze traps work better on those).

Freeze traps are far better than Rabarta because Rabarta does not always freeze and the range is smaller. The fact that Rabarta does SOME damage is not worth bringing up.

Confuse traps...well no tech is comparable. They're insanely useful for rangers since one can just sit back and fire onto a pack of confused foes with a shot or needle.

Limited numbers of traps is not much of a factor since at later levels you will have a lot of traps. Usually only one freeze trap per room does the trick. Using traps only when they are going to be a significant help is essential. There's no point in freezing two or three enemies that you can easily kill. Healing rings also restore traps.

Online, forces are only useful for support techs so melee forces are the only forces worth using if you ask me.

Resta is useless on anyone except forces.

Best ranger= RAcast
Best hunter= Hucaseal

Have a nice day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gjl on 2004-08-16 11:18 ]</font>

Aurra
Aug 16, 2004, 01:54 PM
In general, techs will help you out more in the long run. Offline, having Shift and Deband or Jellen and Zalure (or both) will be very valuable if you plan on soloing some of the more difficult areas. Traps are really cool, too, though. As GJL said, freeze traps are infintely more useful than Rabarta, and confuse traps are among the most effective enemy-screwer-uppers in the history of PSO. However, taking the entire game into consideration, which means both on- and offline modes, techs are going to end up coming in handy more often than traps.

Hrith
Aug 16, 2004, 02:14 PM
On 2004-08-16 11:18, Gjl wrote:
Usually only one freeze trap per room does the trick.
Ever played Ruins/Seabed/Tower ?

Online, forces are only useful for support techs so melee forces are the only forces worth using if you ask me.
That's why I have a Lv 180 FOmarl I barely take online. Online mode > 170 ATA, at least my FOnewearl can do some decent damage to all monsters in the room, let alone megidding Ep2 >_>

Resta is useless on anyone except forces.
I assume you've taken all 12 classes to Lv 150 to assert this absurdity. Resta is very useful on any char that has it.

Best ranger= RAcast
Lowest ATA... online takes its toll. I have a RAmarl and a RAcast both with maxed ATP, the difference in damage dealt is not significant, and RAmarl is decent in support and melee.

Best hunter= Hucaseal
rofl http://www.consoles-games.com/forum/images/smiles/Tourne1.gif
I regard HUcaseal as worst char in game.
A RAcast exceeds all her stats bar EVP, lmao...
Low HP and ATP on a droid, yeah right, HUcast pwns her so bad it's not even funny.
Speaking of which HUcast has the best trap growth in game.

iamfanboy
Aug 16, 2004, 10:05 PM
but a hucaseal has STYLE, Kef, STYLE... something that a hucast is definitely deprived of, and a racast has only a nodding acquaintance with.

There is a little more to this game than stats, after all. Otherwise, all groups in the game would consist of 2 HUcasts, 1 FOnewearl, and 1 RAcast. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tolar
Aug 17, 2004, 12:19 AM
On 2004-08-16 02:50, Tycho wrote:
I assume youre trying to choose between an android Hu and a Humar/Huney.
It's like this: do you want to be able to fight on yourself easily? Go for the techniques.
Are you planning to play with other people who know magic well (huney/ramarl or fo)? Go for a bot.

NO im not making a char, just wonder on other people's oppinion http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

to remind everyone, this is an opinionated question. have fun.

Gjl
Aug 17, 2004, 05:16 AM
On 2004-08-16 12:14, Kef wrote:

On 2004-08-16 11:18, Gjl wrote:
Usually only one freeze trap per room does the trick.

Ever played Ruins/Seabed/Tower ?

This coming from the person who once argued that soloing towers with an android was virtually impossible to do in a reasonable time frame? If you aren't soloing then you don't depend on just your resources. Using traps is also pretty risky in the towers anyway. Frozen shooter is your best bet.

That's why I have a Lv 180 FOmarl I barely take online. Online mode > 170 ATA, at least my FOnewearl can do some decent damage to all monsters in the room, let alone megidding Ep2 >_>

Point is that hunters and even rangers will do far more damage than tech spammers. Also androids will be using traps AS WELL as weapons whereas tech spammers will be relying solely on their techs.

[quote]Resta is useless on anyone except forces.
I assume you've taken all 12 classes to Lv 150 to assert this absurdity. Resta is very useful on any char that has it.

If you're a high level HUmar it takes several of his crappy restas to fully heal him. Same goes for the RAmar. The HUnewearl and RAmarl with a high mind mag will be able to heal fully within 1 or two restas at that level (not to mention they have lousy HP). You aren't going to have enough time to pull off enough restas to fully heal with the HUmar or RAmar without getting whacked again. It's very useful on bosses if you're soloing, yes. But I prefer instantly healing with items rather than dealing with slow casting speeds.

Best ranger= RAcast
Lowest ATA... online takes its toll. I have a RAmarl and a RAcast both with maxed ATP, the difference in damage dealt is not significant, and RAmarl is decent in support and melee.

I don't like meleeing with rangers because I need more than one weapon which is not possible online thanks to FSOD. I haven't had any problems with the low ATA. It's high enough to hit with non-special attacks and zalure special always hits. The frozen shooter special is also very accurate so low ATA is somewhat of a moot point IMO, unless you wanna equip guns at low levels. But low levels don't exist thanks to TTF.

Best hunter= Hucaseal
rofl http://www.consoles-games.com/forum/images/smiles/Tourne1.gif
I regard HUcaseal as worst char in game.
A RAcast exceeds all her stats bar EVP, lmao...
Low HP and ATP on a droid, yeah right, HUcast pwns her so bad it's not even funny.
Speaking of which HUcast has the best trap growth in game.

Worst in the game? Maybe statistically although no other class has faster weapon animations, which I think is better than any statistic advantage. Low HP isn't much of a problem. Just means you have to level up a bit more to survive fixed damage attacks. Also having low hp helps online since you get smacked to the floor.

Plus HUcast=UGLY, even the HUmar looks better although the HUnewearl outfits look really tacky to be honest. If you've met me online you'll notice I always judge peoples weapons and characters by appearance instead of stats. Big fat RAcast= cute, HUcaseal = stylish.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gjl on 2004-08-18 01:20 ]</font>

Hrith
Aug 17, 2004, 10:50 AM
then it's not best char, but best-looking char >_>

I like HUcast the best among hunters as far as style is concerned, they are impressive and have the charisma other hunters lack, especially HUmar -- when you see Kefka you ph34r *points to sig*. Looks are totally subjective and mean nothing, because each one has different tastes.

I'd rather go for looks than stats, too, but there are limits.

For other pics of a stylish HUcast, visit my sticky http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Armok
Aug 17, 2004, 11:26 AM
On 2004-08-17 08:50, Kef wrote:

I'd rather go for looks than stats, too, but there are limits.

Lol you didnt seem to approve of my Shifta Merge on a Fonewman very much. Still looked good though.

DOG21313
Aug 17, 2004, 12:23 PM
On 2004-08-17 03:16, Gjl wrote:
This coming from the person who once argued that soloing towers was virtually impossible to do in a reasonable time frame?

That has no relation to this topic. O.o

Point is that hunters and even rangers will do far more damage than tech spammers. Also androids will be using traps AS WELL as weapons whereas tech spammers will be relying solely on their techs.

Forces will be wiping out rooms offline a lot faster than Hunters. I can finish a room of bartles with 3 gifoies, which also hit the next wave when they jump up XD Online, yes the Hunters do more, that is what they are MADE FOR. Online FOs are supposed to support, and help the Hunters and Rangers do higher damage.

If you're a high level HUmar it takes several of his crappy restas to fully heal him. Same goes for the RAmar. The HUnewearl and RAmarl with a high mind mag will be able to heal fully within 1 or two restas at that level (not to mention they have lousy HP). You aren't going to have enough time to pull off enough restas to fully heal with the HUmar or RAmar without getting whacked again. It's very useful on bosses if you're soloing, yes. But I prefer instantly healing with items rather than dealing with slow casting speeds.

Several? 2 are all that are really needed. I played a HUmar to level 148 (OMG NOT 150!!11ONE http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ) and he only needed a couple restas to fully heal. And in those tough situations (delbiters, bringers, ect.) where it wipes off most of your hp, thats where mates come in. Anyone who has played a HUmar or RAmar long enough know that they cant get their HP all the way back up with their crappy resta before that Delbiter runs over them again, so they carry trimates. When they cant heal with resta in time they can use mates, compared to casts who can ONLY use mates. Personally I would rather have resta than mates any day. O.o

Not gonna argue about the classes >_> That is a whole different topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DOG21313 on 2004-08-17 10:27 ]</font>

Berzerker
Aug 18, 2004, 06:25 AM
If you haven't noticed, in mostly EVERY video game with a range of chars to choose from, they are ALL going to have their good and bad points.

Good point for techs: healing, buffing, damage with high level.
FOs need it, low attack power, if they can attack everything in the room before it comes and smacks to the floor in the lower levels all the better.
Hunters techs get replaced after they get into higher levels...if they use it it'll be for 1. looks 2. resta...
I've travelled with a Hunter (me being a RAcast) and Delbiters can be a bitch sometimes ALL the time...mates come in useful but a little resta now and then doesn't hurt.

Good point for traps: Insanely useful! Might give you that edge you needed to finish a run, good from helping low levels, Very hard and Ultimate! Good Gravey! What can I say...a good confused trap here or there problem solved.

I heard someone say something about having to go back to Pioneer 2? And that is a problem because? I've seen Forces, Hunters, EVERYONE in a tight spot go back up for a heal, THATS WHAT IT THERE FOR. You make it sound like Droids are dependant on traps...

And before anyone starts trying to put a point up on me that I haven't listed the bad points I AM NOT going to repeat what has already been said up there about the bad points because the list would go on forever....

They are both useful in situations, perhaps some more than others, perhaps not.