PDA

View Full Version : Do You Mean it, When You Say it?

AzureBlaze
Aug 18, 2004, 11:21 PM
"GG", that is.
This may be closer to a rant...but I'm not sure so here goes.
After a fight, do you say GG no matter what? Even if like...half way through the other guy's partner was disconnected and the replacement COM did a wepless run-up? As I see it, there's a couple skools-o-thought regarding this.

1. People who think it's polite to say no matter what. They don't care if it's a total lie, and they just say it out of habit.

2. The people who use it to make fun of others. These are the same dorks who say "Ha ha good luck" at the start, then sneer at you with a smily and proceed to whisper about how much you suck.

3. The people who only say GG when they MEAN it. I am in catagory 3. I will call a game for what it is. If the other team got all lousy rolls I will say something like "That was a terrible luck with rolls, we should have a rematch/retourney" or if it was a really close fight, intense all the way, the winner getting victory by a hair I'll say "GG, that was a really close fight, everyone did great! I look foreward to any rematches/retourneys" ---even if I won or lost.

My problem is with the liars who say it for evil reasons, or habit reasons. Didn't anyone ever tell them it's not polite to lie? You're not fooling anyone when you claim it was a "Good Game" after you pulled out a machine deck on someone who was online for their first time. (or a Del Rappy or whatever you have when you're 200 and you're stomping a lvl 10 into the ground) Doesn't that insult the people who they are saying it to?

It really annoys me for some reason. I just want to yell at them for saying "GG" after being totalled by a machine deck, or having some lvl 100s with cards I've never seen come running up and clobbering my team. Yeah, it was a great game for THEM but how am I supposed to agree? Especially if I got nothing over a 4 for the whole fight? (or other wierd circumstances)
I am interested to see what other Card people think though...what is your opinion on saying and having it said?

Getintothegame
Aug 19, 2004, 01:14 AM
It's polite to say "Good Game" or "GG" just to be nice and to use common courtesy after a game.

I said it even if I was mad, but hey, you got to remember that this is a game.

Lit
Aug 19, 2004, 06:54 AM
Well i watched couple of US vs JP games and US vs US games and JP vs JP games....and to be honest when US player win over JP in maybe tournament,,they speak in "whisper" and say GOOD GAME you NOOBS!!! I dont remember what name they had...But some people just say GG to annoy the other team because they won....
remember that a good game is always a challenging game...so if I have a COM just because my partner dc...then it wasnt a good game but JP dont say GOOD GAME- well some dont but they dont know what it REALLY means- JP say " Nice playing with you " and that is different from Good game heh

Uchiha
Aug 19, 2004, 07:21 AM
dont jp also use good to see you as a way of saying good luck? thats what i think not sure though. + theve never said gg the japanease always say nice to play with you your right there http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. and most people go into battle being all cocky and then say gl your gonna need it! what when i just killed you in 3hits you need the luck m8 not me lol.

Jack
Aug 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
I say "good game" all the time, but if I mean it, I'll add something like "well played".

Nisshoku
Aug 19, 2004, 12:52 PM
I'm gonna have to group myself in Number Three as well. I mean, if they can overpower me, I commend them on a game well played. I usually let whoever I'm battling/teaming up know my views on the battle.

And in the end, I just find it a friendly little game, nothing more. We're all at different skill levels, so really, I don't mind at all, really. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Dr_Tokugawa
Aug 19, 2004, 05:01 PM
I agree with the fact that you should do it after every single match. And do it politely, at that. The reason why is to show some class, be nice about it.

If the person decided to act immaturely or kept making snide comments throughout, I may not commend him on his play, but I'll still act nicely. It's me. I expect the same in return.

The funny thing is, IRL, when you play card games, you still have the people who refuse to shake hands, pack up, and leave in a huff.

Now, let's add another pile to the list: The people who you beat and then FSOD you out of spite. ^_^

Superguppie
Aug 20, 2004, 08:09 AM
I agree with that. Being polite is ALWAYS important. How polite or impolite the other is has nothing to do with it.
That said, I never type GG. I consider using a shorthand in situations where it isn't really necessary very impolite. In the screens after the match there is plenty of opportunity to give comments. Plus, if you plan on saying something a lot, put it on a shortcut. That's fast typing and you will look better than a "GG"-guy.
Being polite to me means giving a comment that actualy relates to the game. If it was good game, I say "That was a good game. Thank you guys". If it wasn't I often comment on what went wrong, like bad dice....

Skorpius
Aug 20, 2004, 10:09 AM
I take "GG" as an insult. Have the decency to type it out or shortcut it..
If i lose badly, it was NOT a good game for me, and I do not want to see you remind me -you- had a good game :/
"Nice playing with you." is nice.
"I'm sorry." for winning is nice, too.

I use those.

RavenTW
Aug 20, 2004, 09:17 PM
I usually type "gg..." in a hesitant manner if I severely clobber the opponent. I try to be polite, but I know when they had a bad hand or dice. Of course, every game is a good game if you think about it. At least you got a pair of cards (yeah, I know, bad compensation).

In the case of a GOOD game, I usually type "vgg" or "that was an awesome game", etc. If I get severely clobbered by a spam/machine/tag team (I HATE tag teamers), I'll kinda get upset for losing.
But if I just get sucky rolls, bad hand, etc., I just laugh and ask for a rematch (Thankfully, I haven't faced any noobs that beat you one single time and brag about it, yet.).

But the majority of my losses end in me with 1 or 2 hp, and suddenly stopping every single attack for about 5 or 10 turns, until I finally run out of DP or defense cards. I absolutely LOVE those games.

Bloodude
Aug 22, 2004, 03:22 PM
JPs use Good to see you as a greeting for battles, Nice playing with you as their version of Good Game. I prefer to act like a JP and use Good to see you, and Nice playing with you. I almost always say it, but I almost always mean it. If I'm really mad, I won't, but usually I feel like it was a mis-play of my cards by me, and was a fun game anyway if I lose, and do it as a friendly gesture if I win.

zimmk2vgc
Aug 23, 2004, 05:41 AM
I always say GG. Its just kind of common courtesy. And even if im up against cheap or machine decks, I always give them a run for their money, always. I know some of my matches against Hira are usually very close, but I have yet to beat him.

Whether they mean it or not doesn't matter. It's just common courtesy like please and thank you.

Winddragon48
Aug 23, 2004, 02:35 PM
I for one always say GG whether i win or lose horribly due to repeated 1,1 rolls just to be nice.

On the other hand tho i dont USE decks such as the machine or red slime i dont consider them too cheap as long as they are beatable (although i cant beat them yet :/)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Winddragon48 on 2004-08-23 12:36 ]</font>

kizzycrew
Sep 19, 2004, 10:21 AM
I say GG if i enjoyed playing with someone. It was a good game, as in, i enjoyed it.

I guess like saying Nice playing with you, but I don't have a keyboard, or spare shortcuts, so I say GG.

If I really mean it, i'll chat with them about the game afterwards 'LOL when u st rappied me and split boost LOLZ'

~~kie

Capricornus
Sep 20, 2004, 07:57 AM
'Nice playing with you' through the chat menu is the way to go.

Using 'GG' is usually unappropriate Id say, as some matches end on a complete victory from 1 side without the other having had any chance.

'GG' should only be used for a balanced fight, not a one sided one (but even then I dont use that shortcut, as not all JP understand that shortcut)

Malkavian
Sep 23, 2004, 10:01 AM
I never said "GG".
Since I imported japanese version I got used to the japanese forms. Nice to see you, Nice playing with you. The first time I heard the GG thing was when US EP3 got released. And initially I thought they were mocking of me or something. In spanish gg can be used as lol.
So I don't like much the gg form. Sometimes I reply with "really?" or "Do you really think so?" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If I liked the game, either lost or won. My 1st objective is have fun and nice competition, winning is secondary. I say it when I had great fun or liked my opponent deck and tactics.

Cell132
Sep 23, 2004, 05:42 PM
I am in the number three category. When I was playing EP. III I would be very angry if I played against a machine deck, or a spam deck of any sort. If I come up against one of those, I usually won't say anything at all and remain silent. If I somehow overcome the spam deck, then I might say something like "...I win" or something blunt like that. Other than that, as long as it's a clean game, I'll say Good Game.