PDA

View Full Version : WTF happend to gaming...

Strider_Gren
Jun 22, 2002, 09:38 PM
Do any of you rember the days of the SNES and Genesis when their were hardly any fanboys? This was even more unbeleiveable as the fact was there were more consoles out at the same time. Besides Sega's and Nintendo's offerings, there were the Jaguar, Neo Geo, and the CD-i as well. I, personally owned a NES, SNES, and Genesis at the time. I was no fanboy then, or today. What can turn a person into a fanboy?

Number 1: Jealousy!!!! As gung-ho on one system as you can be, you would be a damned liar if you said If you had no systems and mysteriosly "found" $1000, you would buy each system. If I was made out of money, I would in a second, but as is, I posses Microsoft's entry.

Number 2: Servitude... You pledge yourself to a certain franchise and only the system(s) it comes out for our golden... This can be a very loop help catagory for it again also falls back to Jealosy or can be affected by other things. This trait is more often attributed to console and game makers who have been around at least a round two, and or established multi-sequel or original Big-Name titles. Do I really need to list examples? Halo, Panzar Dragoon, PSO, Zelda, GT, GTA, Pokemon, Mario.. And many many more.

Number 3(aka the main one):Hype...Yes hype is an evil thing. This, I beleive, is why there are so many more fanboys today, due to media about games, slowly hyping them up making some editor say "Hey that game looks better than Gran Turismo" Then some evil Xbox or Gamecube fan can flash it in some PS2 fan's face and say "Hahaha! It says right here that this game is better than Gran Turismo!! You bought the wrong console!!! You shoulda bought(system) instead!" Taking some website or magazine contributors words out of proportion is freaking ludacris. They are not wizards who know that game (X) is better than game (Y), they are humans, and as such have their own oppinions about what makes a good game.

And as far as graphics are concened, this is by far the closest generation ever. Shit, in my day if you wanted Arcade perfect ports, you had to buy the $600 Neo-Geo and one of it's $200 huge cartridges. And people wonder why Neo-Geo only sold about 500,000 worldwide and died within about 2-3 years with 25 games out.

Well ok...I'm through ranting now...You can flame, reply, or just plain ignore me becuase frankly it don't matter. I can't stand console ownerswho own the iernet anymore because they are corrupted, myself included. An ideal gamer is one without access to a computer and just praise that there is such a thing as gaming to escape the boredom, regardless of what system cause they're all good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Strider_Gren on 2002-06-22 19:40 ]</font>

Defend
Jun 22, 2002, 09:43 PM
I think there were fanboys hehe... but back then they really were as young as they act today.

TeamPhalanx
Jun 22, 2002, 10:14 PM
Well, for starters, this belongs in rants forums, not general.

Probably the reason for the fanboy is that people want to justify their purchases. If you spent $200 or $300 for a console, you want your investment to last. I remember talking to a DC fanboy once around one year after its release. He was one of those that bought the system at launch, and, obviously didn't want to believe the system was headed for its grave.

Fanboys have always been around, but they're more annoying these days because there more of them (more gamers), and they don't tend to present solid arguments and what they say usually boils down to "_____ sucks."

Greg
Jun 22, 2002, 11:23 PM
dude you are on crack... The Snes Genesis fanboys were the worst. You just didn't see them as much because computers were not as accessable back then.

Sedric
Jun 22, 2002, 11:27 PM
I knida agree with what he said.

But there WERE fanboys back in the SNES/Genesis days too.... I remember two kids from same class arguing and ending up beating each other to pulp, because of "Which home version of Mortal Kombat was better." =P

Ziggy-san
Jun 22, 2002, 11:31 PM
When I was three I wanted my name to be Mario. ...was I a fanboi then? o.0

Nerd
Jun 22, 2002, 11:48 PM
Ive always owned the biggest competitor's systems, so i always had my choice of the best games, and a way out if one console toppled, i.e. 32x (bllllargh)

k, i guess 32x was a bad example of anything..

0wned - SNES Genesis 32x Playstation ps2 Dreamcast Gamecube ...

yeah i missed saturn, i couldnt afford it -_-

FinalMasterM
Jun 23, 2002, 12:28 AM
On 2002-06-22 20:14, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Well, for starters, this belongs in rants forums, not general.

You're starting to sound like me O_o;

Anyway, I was a fanboy in the past, I always loved Nintendo (still do) and didn't give a crap about Sega or any of those others. Then Sony came along and I started to love them just as much as Nintendo (PSX offered the largest collection of RPGs). I didn't really care about Sega until my sister got a Dreamcast and I bought PSO. I was amazed that Sega took the first steps to online gaming (for consoles) but more so in love with PSO.

Wewt
Jun 23, 2002, 07:53 AM
I've had every Nintendo console that was out. But I never was the kind of fanboy to say Sega sucks because I liked Nintendo. I agree with Greg about those days being the worst fanboy days, back then there were only 3 major consoles. So the fanboys were split 50/50.

RedFox
Jun 23, 2002, 09:23 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif i was a terrible fanboy... owned a Megadrive (genesis) and swore blind to sonic kickin marios ass! but then i played Super Mario World... fell instantly in love with Yoshi... now i just own every consol that comes out... xcept xbox... (grrr grumble bill gates grrr...)

GhoStar
Jun 23, 2002, 09:59 AM
I always thought it was just an insecurity thing. People simply never want to feel they're missing out on something or they gloat if they're getting something better than an person's console.

Internet forums like GameFAQs and IGN just seem to emphasize this. Nintendo ones seem to be the worst over there, because they feel every game Nintendo puts out is perfect and destroys every other game in that genre. Then you have Xbox fanboys who think that *their* console being the most powerful actually makes a difference... to, well... anything. And then the PS2 ones seem to think there console has the best games ever like it's some sort of fact. Little things like this you see cropping up everywhere.

I also think that applies with this whole PSO GC/PSO XBox fiasco. I doubt this one General Forum will survive. It'll probably get so bad they'll need to make two General forms - one for each version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GhoStar on 2002-06-23 08:14 ]</font>

War_Child
Jun 23, 2002, 12:02 PM
When I first got my DC, I was one of the worst fanboys ever >.> At another board, me and someone else had a 13 page (each page containing about 20 posts) flame war just between the two of us.. was really hilarious how stupid we were when I think about it.

Now i tend not to care as much. A good game is a good game, the console doesn't make the game, the game is the game.

Rubesahl
Jun 23, 2002, 12:27 PM
On 2002-06-23 07:59, GhoStar wrote:
I always thought it was just an insecurity thing. People simply never want to feel they're missing out on something or they gloat if they're getting something better than an person's console.

Internet forums like GameFAQs and IGN just seem to emphasize this. Nintendo ones seem to be the worst over there, because they feel every game Nintendo puts out is perfect and destroys every other game in that genre. Then you have Xbox fanboys who think that *their* console being the most powerful actually makes a difference... to, well... anything. And then the PS2 ones seem to think there console has the best games ever like it's some sort of fact. Little things like this you see cropping up everywhere.

I also think that applies with this whole PSO GC/PSO XBox fiasco. I doubt this one General Forum will survive. It'll probably get so bad they'll need to make two General forms - one for each version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GhoStar on 2002-06-23 08:14 ]</font>

Exactly, why can't people accept that each console has different qualities for everyone. In PS2 you see the moyority of people who casually play games and liked PS1. In Nintendo you see the fans of it because they like the franchises lik Mario, Zelda and others. Then when the Dreamcast came, you would see all Sega fans getting the system when it came at launch, for games like Sonic and other ones that are innovated. Then there's Microsoft with their impressive console and more for the people who like games that look awesome and pretty much that just like the games it currentlly has. For some they don't like the PS2 because they don't like them because of the mistakes they've done, others don't like Nintendo because it's suposedly a kiddy system and others don't like Xbox because it's from Microsoft and they think they want to destroy all the competition and win a lot of money.

Well, certainly these are the main point of views you se in different people. You can't make everyone happy right? Just leave the people that like it alone and the people that don't too. At least we have variety to choose from so think of it as a godd way.

Strider_Gren
Jun 24, 2002, 04:08 PM
I guess it's true since computers are widely more available that fanboys speak out more, but in general, fanboys used to be kinder overall. I mean when I went to blockbuster video in 96 to rent games for my genisis I didn't hear any comments, even though 16 bit was dying and the Playstation had begun it's evil empire..2000 rolls around, I have my dreamcast, suddenly I'm a fool who, as some dumbass clerk said "If I were you I wouldn't have wasted my money on a DC, I would wait for a PS2, or even the Dolphin (GCN's former title)" I felt tempted to tell the guy to mind his damn business, and that PS2 is still gonna be a jaggy mother ------, but decided not to make a scene. Mixing up opinion with fact + business happens more often these days. It used to only happen at Wal-Mart's, but now to just about any Babbages or EB I find it. But oh well, I guess as a thing as good as gaming grows, it's dark side grows as well. And for those of you who think I'm just talking crap, you don't need to be reading this anyways. I wish a mod would move this to the rants section.

Strider_Gren
Jun 24, 2002, 04:16 PM
On 2002-06-23 07:59, GhoStar wrote:

Ah yes...Segregated forums sound good. But the temptation would get to somebody to go to the other forum to post some crap and it'd be like 20 fanboys vs. one. I can see it now.

"Hey you, GCN boy...we don't take kindly to you types around here"

"I'm just gonna say my peice and be on my way.."

"Noone wants to here what you've got to say, you're so dumb they shouldn't allow you in either forum"

Rubesahl
Jun 24, 2002, 05:34 PM
On 2002-06-24 14:08, Strider_Gren wrote:
I guess it's true since computers are widely more available that fanboys speak out more, but in general, fanboys used to be kinder overall. I mean when I went to blockbuster video in 96 to rent games for my genisis I didn't hear any comments, even though 16 bit was dying and the Playstation had begun it's evil empire..2000 rolls around, I have my dreamcast, suddenly I'm a fool who, as some dumbass clerk said "If I were you I wouldn't have wasted my money on a DC, I would wait for a PS2, or even the Dolphin (GCN's former title)" I felt tempted to tell the guy to mind his damn business, and that PS2 is still gonna be a jaggy mother ------, but decided not to make a scene. Mixing up opinion with fact + business happens more often these days. It used to only happen at Wal-Mart's, but now to just about any Babbages or EB I find it. But oh well, I guess as a thing as good as gaming grows, it's dark side grows as well. And for those of you who think I'm just talking crap, you don't need to be reading this anyways. I wish a mod would move this to the rants section.

Have I had those experieces too many times @___@ I almost got in trouble with a classmate of mine telling me the same thing when I bought my DC. Anyway, I think there should be a board for each version, it'll have to be that way so it can be more organized.

GhoStar
Jun 24, 2002, 05:47 PM
Well, those people are commonly called trolls. Going to start some controversy with nothing to add and just stir and cause trouble. Some do it in a subtle manor, others a more blatant fashion. People will pick up on it though.

Soloution: Ban them!

Make an example out of a few and then others won't follow.