PDA

View Full Version : Technilogical advancement

Squal
Aug 23, 2004, 05:11 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone elese is tired of companies making better computer parts and sytems every 2 years. Its realy starting to anoy me. I get a newly released game and it runs fine. a month later a new realease wont work. Also I bought my game cube about three months after it came out and now there's this revolution thing. I'm not rich I cant offord all this. Oh well just wondering if anyone shares my point of view.

Nai_Calus
Aug 23, 2004, 05:18 PM
So you want technological advancement to come to a screeching halt because you can't afford every shiny new toy that comes out? Do you actively try to be this stupid, or were you just born that way?

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 23, 2004, 05:40 PM
The technology moves fast now, yes... But on the other hand, I wouldn't be complaining about the upcoming Nintendo Revolution-- The GameCube is still supported, and the Revolution isn't due out for another couple of years. Start savin' your pennies.

Sharkyland
Aug 23, 2004, 06:08 PM
Moore's law is fanscinating so so Murphy's Law.

Skett
Aug 23, 2004, 06:12 PM
In reality, the difference in time between the Cube and the Revolution is about five years or so, which is the average lifespan of a home console.

But there is no reason to buy the next-gen systems right away. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will undoubtedly keep supporting them for some time and when they stop, you can just go back and buy older games you missed.

I do understand what your saying. It seems the companies are getting so exited about releasing their system to try and trounce the competetion, they seem to forget the here and now part of the consoles.

By the way, Ian usually isn't that big a jerk. He is a nice person. I did find what he said to be somewhat funny, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-08-23 16:15 ]</font>

darthsaber9x9
Aug 23, 2004, 06:39 PM
On 2004-08-23 16:12, Skett wrote:
In reality, the difference in time between the Cube and the Revolution is about five years or so, which is the average lifespan of a home console.

But there is no reason to buy the next-gen systems right away. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will undoubtedly keep supporting them for some time and when they stop, you can just go back and buy older games you missed.

I do understand what your saying. It seems the companies are getting so exited about releasing their system to try and trounce the competetion, they seem to forget the here and now part of the consoles.

By the way, Ian usually isn't that big a jerk. He is a nice person. I did find what he said to be somewhat funny, though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-08-23 16:15 ]</font>

its true. Half the time I get more enjoyment out of my sega saturn( THE GREATEST CONSOLE EVER CREATED) then I do from any of my consoles! But yes I do feel your pain. I swear that companies come up with an idea and tone it down so they can release an addition shortly after

and as a side note, I found ian to be bitchy, not funny http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nai_Calus
Aug 23, 2004, 08:42 PM
Skett is lying, I AM a jerk. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

WraithVerge
Aug 23, 2004, 09:57 PM
Well, I don't know about some people, but I'd rather have a system that doesn't fuck up within two months. My cousin's first GC started degrading to a pile of shit and stopped reading disks. My first Xbox stopped reading half the games and would constantly freeze on loading screens. I've heard from numerous people that have had problems similar to this with the PS2.

I'd rather wait an extra year so the company can make a stable console rather than have companies release it a year early so it can blow up soon after purchase and I have to buy ANOTHER console. Of course, what am I thinking? This is how they get their money! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

navci
Aug 23, 2004, 10:28 PM
On 2004-08-23 15:11, Squal wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone elese is tired of companies making better computer parts and sytems every 2 years.

2 years? What planet do you live in? It is more like a new kinda part every 2 months. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

anwserman
Aug 23, 2004, 11:19 PM
Yup, innovation sucks.
Green and black displays pwn true color.

Outrider
Aug 23, 2004, 11:22 PM
On 2004-08-23 19:57, WraithVerge wrote:
Well, I don't know about some people, but I'd rather have a system that doesn't fuck up within two months. My cousin's first GC started degrading to a pile of shit and stopped reading disks. My first Xbox stopped reading half the games and would constantly freeze on loading screens. I've heard from numerous people that have had problems similar

To be fair, lots of people treat their systems like crap, and especially since disc-based systems are a lot more fragile, more and more systems are dying like... all the time.

I've still got my original 8-Bit NES, and it works fine. I have noticed from multiple cases though that Sony's track record seems to be the worst. So many first generation Playstations turned upside down just so they can run...

Arislan
Aug 24, 2004, 08:42 AM
Sony, to this day:
"There is no heat problem!"
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Nintendo products tend to be tanks. Example: Nintendo Power featured horror stories about their systems. A Game Boy in the toilet, another run over by a Mack Truck, a Nintendo that went through a hurricane and had a chair leg stuck fully through it. All ran afterwards. A few friends and I were playing Smash on the GC, one of my friends pulled a controller a bit too much, and the GC went flying off the desk, almost 5 feet up. Slams into the ground on its corner, not a skip in the gameplay.

Meanwhile, I pulled too hard on my PSOne a few years ago, and Lunar came to a screeching halt as the mere shock of a sudden shake caused a read error in the system.

I haven't had much experience with XBox, so I can't comment there, but between the two others in regards to durability and lasting ability, Nintendo destroys Sony every which way.

Sharkyland
Aug 24, 2004, 09:08 AM
Yeah Gamecube is pretty sturdy... my friend tripped and it rolled down some wooden stairs. And my friend put his GBA and games into the washer and dryer and they came out good.

Maybe I bought my consoles late. I had the most problem with my NES. Take out blow, open cover blow though my Playstation is starting to act up now.

KaFKa
Aug 24, 2004, 09:50 AM
my friends old n64, now THAT was a tank.

it took the ravagings of 6 5-year-old kids, the pounding of getting thrown to the ground countless times, and having the cartride ripped out mid-play even more times.

not to mention almost every game was thrown across the room in frustration at being owned by the computer.

to this day it still playes mario64 and SB no problem, even though the shell is cracked and the power light doesent come on.

Skett
Aug 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
Microsoft and Nintendo really created some quality systems. Sony, however, is known for making shotty stuff, at least in the game department. Actually, quality is one of the problems might PSP have. If PS2 screws up this much and their not moving, do you know what will happen with PSP?

Yeah, the people who tend to complain that the company make shotty hardware are usually the ones who treat their system like crap and set their systems up like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Namevah/whocares.bmp*

Lets just say if your stupid enough to set the systems like this, covering the airvents and complain that the developers created shotty hardware when it overheats, your house deserves to be burned down.

*So I don't get sued or anything, I found this pic at thesnakesoup.com (which has some of the funniest editorials ever)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-08-24 08:31 ]</font>

PJ
Aug 24, 2004, 12:00 PM
On 2004-08-24 07:08, Sharkyland wrote:
And my friend put his GBA and games into the washer and dryer and they came out good.

My friend also did something like that.

He left his Pokemon game in his pocket, and in the washer/dryer it went, when it came out, not only did it still run, but the save file was still there. Only problem was, the, "Internal Battery ran dry," so time based events don't occur. No growing berries, no shops specials, no Regirock (Or Ice... whichever requires you to wait 2 minutes) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Outrider
Aug 24, 2004, 07:56 PM
On 2004-08-24 07:08, Sharkyland wrote:
Maybe I bought my consoles late. I had the most problem with my NES. Take out blow, open cover blow though my Playstation is starting to act up now.

Yeah, a lot of original NES systems don't quite work anymore due to that stupid spring-loading system. There really wasn't any point to that as far as I know aside from making it easier for the system to screw up.

Ness
Aug 24, 2004, 08:04 PM
On 2004-08-23 15:18, Ian-KunX wrote:
So you want technological advancement to come to a screeching halt because you can't afford every shiny new toy that comes out? Do you actively try to be this stupid, or were you just born that way?

I have to agree with Ian on this one.

No one forces you to buy the latest and the greatest and not doing so won't kill you. Just because something is new doesn't mean you will have more fun with it, anyway.

digigram
Aug 24, 2004, 09:05 PM
I agree with ian.. this rant/viewpoint is very selfish.

Lets just say if your stupid enough to set the systems like this, covering the airvents and complain that the developers created shotty hardware when it overheats, your house deserves to be burned down.

skett, I'd hug you if I could.

I used to work in Nintendo's RMA department, actually doing diagnostics on gamecubes... I swear the fucking engineers at nintendo are idiots. They have racks and racks and racks of GC's in a non-ventilated room, (roughly 400 GC's) being tested or "burned in", to test whether or not the old and refurbished systems can stand this test disc they have.... what happens in the test, written by the engineers, is that the testers must put each GC directly next to each other on these cabinet racks with multiple levels...

Resulting in one GC passing hot air to the next, 400 times.

now.. this is not the intent of the test, to pass hot air from one to another... but this is how they test it.. near 90-100 degree 7 ft long powerstrips and 400 overheating Gamecubes..

they are supposed to just run in a normal enviroment on the test, but no... the engineers strictly wrote..... 'all Units must face outward, next to one another when running testing disc, so as to insure proper ventilation.'

Which is bullshit. doing it this way causes one to get hot and progressively pass 140 degree air to the last one and then down the other side of the opposing row so that ALL of them eventually will burn out..

I pointed this out to them and they said, "the engineers know what they are doing".

the test itself is only there to test each individual GC in a normal room so that it runs at average temperature.. not a microwave room.

Nintendo of america is fucking so clueless.

note: (80-90% of the GC's failed in this enviroment)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-24 19:13 ]</font>

Gnarled_rose
Aug 24, 2004, 09:18 PM
And wouldn't Nintendo wait for Sony/Microsoft to catch up? What's the point of releasing the next-generation console if you don't have competition? I mean, sorry to all the Dreamcast fans, but that sucker bombed!
I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that like there was with the Xbox, PS2, and GC, there will be a massive three-way corporate battle. After all, you don't dare release a console on its own; Why? Because the competition can figure it out and also figure out how to beat it.

Firocket1690
Aug 24, 2004, 10:44 PM
On 2004-08-24 19:18, Gnarled_rose wrote:
And wouldn't Nintendo wait for Sony/Microsoft to catch up? What's the point of releasing the next-generation console if you don't have competition? I mean, sorry to all the Dreamcast fans, but that sucker bombed!
I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that like there was with the Xbox, PS2, and GC, there will be a massive three-way corporate battle. After all, you don't dare release a console on its own; Why? Because the competition can figure it out and also figure out how to beat it.

... which is exactly why the ps2 was released a year before xbox and gamecube.

anywho, at topic maker: there's a reason people don't rush out to get stuff once it comes out. It's been three years after the intial release of the gamecube, and now it's $99.99. I got mine in "02 for 149.99 after the first price drops, but wait a bit more, and the price will go down.

Either that, or wait for a bundle thingy.

... or, go upgrade your pc for a lot cheaper and play pc junk :o

Outrider
Aug 25, 2004, 12:48 AM
On 2004-08-24 20:44, Firocket1690 wrote:
... or, go upgrade your pc for a lot cheaper and play pc junk http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The day playing PC games costs less than console games is the day a lot more people become hardcore PC gamers.

digigram
Aug 25, 2004, 01:46 AM
Not to ruin your day... but there are morehardcore PC gamers than there are console gamers. Hardcore-illy speaking.

Outrider
Aug 25, 2004, 10:22 AM
On 2004-08-24 23:46, digigram wrote:
Not to ruin your day... but there are morehardcore PC gamers than there are console gamers. Hardcore-illy speaking.

I highly doubt that. I'm talking about up-to-date hardcore gamers, too. Just because a bunch of forty-year-olds who still live in their parents' basements are still playing Counter-Strike daily doesn't mean they should count when it comes to a census of modern hardcore gamers.

I mean... the sales of titles themselves pretty much shoots that down the drain. The major difference between PC and console gamers is that PC gamers will upgrade their computers for a few games and then stick with these games for years down the line due to mods and online play and other things, while a console gamer is more likely to spend that money to buy a new system and buy many more games for it instead of just a few key titles.

digigram
Aug 25, 2004, 12:34 PM
while a console gamer is more likely to spend that money to buy a new system and buy many more games for it instead of just a few key titles. while in translation, trying to find quality and hopelessly failing.

Outrider
Aug 25, 2004, 12:46 PM
On 2004-08-25 10:34, digigram wrote:

while a console gamer is more likely to spend that money to buy a new system and buy many more games for it instead of just a few key titles. while in translation, trying to find quality and hopelessly failing.

Well, I'd gladly take any given Zelda title over any of the big FPS or RPGs that's come out on PC over the past ten years. And judging from the reviews most of these non-PC titles receive, there are many Triple-A console titles available, so good games certainly aren't just for PC.

Squal
Aug 25, 2004, 09:57 PM
Alright Ian ness and digigram I dont mean all technology, It just really anoys me about the way my pc's constantly make things beter by the tinyest increment. Systems arent that bad about it. but yeah I could have worded that a little better and digigram I gotta hand it to you, This does fit in dead horse sociaty a wee bit beter. And as for pc vs. systems It realy depends on what you enjoy in a game. I find game cube games to be the most creative so thats why i bought it, not to say pc doesnt have creaive games, I mean come on, Myst seires. but all in all I like game cube games better, the only pc games i really like are online( besides myst). and as for the sturdyness of game cubes, the only time I had ever had trouble with my game cube was when my sister drped fire wood on my game cube and it jostled the disk and we had to restart, so my theory is that you wraith verg's friend is irisponsible with his gamcube.(no paragraphs due to the computer bieng wierd)

DarthFomar
Aug 26, 2004, 06:50 AM
I love technology......and I don't give a damn if that sounds fanboyish or lazy. I think it's a good thing more or less. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

It makes life easier on people, and can reduce stress along with several other things. It increases our productivity, health care, entertainment, etc. It improves upon our very society.

Of course this could easily take a turn for the worst (don't know exactly how), but hopefully not.

Technology makes us powerful, intelligent, resourceful. Frankly, without advancing technologies...we would fail in any attempt to solve future problems (drastic or otherwise).

I welcome almost all technology with open arms, but of course this is just me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Although, I did have a few problems when they updated Quake 3 a while back, but I don't play that anymore so..... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-08-26 04:51 ]</font>

shingo
Aug 27, 2004, 06:22 AM
well they also help your hand eye corrdiantion also they help us in every day things like typing reports or the math problems. also they help commucations we wouldnt be on this forum talking to each other on the online if it wasnt for comp and modems plus other crap so we should be thank ful for technology.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shingo on 2004-08-27 04:37 ]</font>