PDA

View Full Version : RAHH!!!

Xaos127
Aug 26, 2004, 02:52 AM
My first rant now get comfortable and listen...

i play soccer for a club but i decided that i need a little extra money so i thought id get a part time job at KFC, so i got the job there.

So the first couple of days there were no problems i got on fine with everyone no hassles at all, untill one day i came to work 5 mins late and the damn manager went off!! He said that since its my first week he'll let me go with just a warning after scaring the crap out of customers by screaming at me. But thats okay its understandable i mean i was late.

The next day i had to call in and cancel a shift because we had a midweek game on, and what do you suppose he says and i quote
well if you cant make it today, thats it your fired.
WTF!! So we exchanged words with each other and i havent been back there since, i did get my pay though so im happy about that but what a fucking uptight little prick that manager is. mind you he did get what was coming to him but thats another story.
So what did you think about my first ever rant damn im proud i got that off my chest, Oh yeah and we won that midweek game 2-1.

DarthFomar
Aug 26, 2004, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I got fired for not bringing in a few shopping carts and I had already stayed an hour past my schedule. Some times people just make quick and harsh desicions, but it's life...it sucks, sometimes more than others, but it's life.

But, these days a lot of managers/co-managers are stupid idiots that really have no business being a "manager" in the first place. And how they obtain these positions with their "persona", is far beyond me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyway, that sucks...sorry to hear it. Good luck with your next job, though. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-08-26 19:33 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Aug 26, 2004, 12:39 PM
The guy was on, what we retail people love to call, a Power Trip. He might have been either new or just a plain asshole. Either way, if he really wanted the respect of his fellow employees, he should have been a little more lenient on you. But then again, if you don't take this personally, you could have asked for the day off in advance.

KaFKa
Aug 26, 2004, 12:45 PM
although im gonna get flamed, i would say that it kinda is your fault for him blowing up on you. if you knew there was a game in the middle of the week, you should have told him about it in advance.

but about the 5 mins late thing, he could have just been an assertive manager and did that to get the point across.

War_Child
Aug 26, 2004, 09:22 PM
Let me get this straight. You get a job, which is supposed to be pretty much #1 priority. Schedules are made based on the trust that employees keep their end of the bargain.

Not only do you fail to inform your employer prior to game, but choose to do so day of. Now that employer has to go into scramble mode to call in someone else.

Now here's the REAL kicker. You aren't calling off because you are sick. You aren't calling off because of a family emergency. You aren't calling of due to school related reasons. You are calling off to PLAY A FUCKING GAME.

See the problem here? Your lack of reliability was the reason you got fired, not the shitty manager. I sure as hell wouldn't hire someone like that.

*Remembers the good old days when people were taught RESPONSIBILITY*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: War_Child on 2004-08-26 19:27 ]</font>

pixelate
Aug 26, 2004, 09:36 PM
That's how the world works: if you sign up for something then don't show up, there's no point having you back. People don't pay for flakes.

navci
Aug 26, 2004, 09:48 PM
I used to know a girl, she lived right above the store she was working in (uni dorm, uni store). She missed work and is late all the time.

It is quite funny she didn't get fired at all.

anwserman
Aug 26, 2004, 10:40 PM
So, basically you're late during your first week of work. That right there is a no-no. Second of all, you didn't tell him your schedule at all - or didn't tell him about any conflicts after receiving said schedule.

Its called tact man, you need to let people know about this stuff ahead of time. And you know what, I'm a manager at a fast-food resteraunt. Yuppers, I certainly am.

Oh, did you ever think that the guy could have been a prick because you drove him to be one?

Xaos127
Aug 27, 2004, 01:31 AM
Okay firstly the 5 mins late was my fault i accept that. But i did call in the morning to cancel my shift so he had plenty of time to call someone else in. And to the person who wrote i took the day off for only a game needs to understand that i get paid for playing soccer a lot more then KFC could ever dream of paying me, its not just a social thing i do im in a proper senior team and im only 17!!

digigram
Aug 27, 2004, 01:42 AM
But i did call in the morning to cancel my shift so he had plenty of time to call someone else in.

wrong.. it is standard for anyone to request time off, at least 2 days to one week in advance... the ONLY way you can get around this is if you are in contact with both the manager and you yourself find your replacement..and EVEN THEN, you are looked down upon, but not fired.

It just makes you look unreliable. you call in, in the morning, to say hey I can't come in today is a total no no.... no matter what.. even at KFC. The only thing they give a slightest shit about is if you are being rushed to the hospital.. thats the only time they understand.. otherwise, you have to drop everything and goto work.

If this rant is how you reflect upon what happened... have fun being fired continuously as you fail to see how 'you' messed up and how they are evil for not pampering you.. KFC is not your friend, the manager isn't your friend, they will not be lenient, because they could give a fuck about you.

thats it.. simply put.

navci
Aug 27, 2004, 02:24 AM
On 2004-08-26 23:31, Xaos127 wrote:
Okay firstly the 5 mins late was my fault i accept that. But i did call in the morning to cancel my shift so he had plenty of time to call someone else in.

Have you considered about the person who got called in for the afternoon? Maybe he/she has plans already made in the afternoon that was made a week ago?

So you are 17, big fucking deal. Does that mean you can be irresponsible and being a prick about it? Face it, you can't handle responsibility cuz you don't know what it is if it hits you in the face!

You deserve getting fired.

pixelate
Aug 27, 2004, 02:30 AM
Okay firstly the 5 mins late was my fault i accept that. But i did call in the morning to cancel my shift so he had plenty of time to call someone else in. And to the person who wrote i took the day off for only a game needs to understand that i get paid for playing soccer a lot more then KFC could ever dream of paying me, its not just a social thing i do im in a proper senior team and im only 17!!

Then how much extra money did you need? If soccer gives so much, that little bit from KFC was worth the hassle and getting a firing on your record?

Doens't sound right. Sounds greedy.

Myopathy
Aug 27, 2004, 02:34 AM
And to the person who wrote i took the day off for only a game needs to understand that i get paid for playing soccer a lot more then KFC could ever dream of paying me, its not just a social thing i do im in a proper senior team and im only 17!!

First of all. If you get paid to play soccer, you're a professional. You said you're in club soccer. You DON'T get paid to play in club soccer. You pay IN ORDER TO play in it. So you're obviously lying about something. Either it's the fact you play club soccer or the fact that you get paid to play soccer, like pro soccer players. And for some reason, I seriosuly doubt you're a pro soccer player.

DarthFomar
Aug 27, 2004, 06:34 AM
Geezz, why do people have to be rude and...and......sour. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

He's trying to rant because he was fired and needed to let out whatever frustation he was feeling (presumably).

It's really not anyone's place to judge whatever did or didn't happen. It's his life, he's dealing with it, and I'm sure he doesn't need people throwing it around in his face.

I really love the way people treat each other this day and age; so quick to turn on someone, so quick to judge...I mean seriously, give the guy a friggin' break. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Xaos127
Aug 27, 2004, 07:27 AM
On 2004-08-27 00:34, Ezellaur wrote:

First of all. If you get paid to play soccer, you're a professional. You said you're in club soccer. You DON'T get paid to play in club soccer.

Okay first do you play soccer for a club, what no then shut the fuck up and listen. I get paid for playing in the senior team, no not thousands of dollars but i get 300 a win 200 a draw and 50 if we lose, i also get goal bonuses but enough about that. Now listen, i recently bought a new car and im paying it off monthly so i needed a part time job as well as my soccer wages. See im not greedy but in dept so please do your homework before trying to act big and flame someone.

DarthFomar
Aug 27, 2004, 08:40 AM
On 2004-08-27 05:27, Xaos127 wrote:
i get 300 a win 200 a draw

Nice...

I wish I still played Hockey...maybe I could join some kind of league and get that kind of cash. At least I'd be getting paid for something I love. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

If you get really good, are you going to go pro? I would. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, don't let these *ahem* people get to ya'. Well, I wish you the best of luck with your next job. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

navci
Aug 27, 2004, 10:21 AM
On 2004-08-27 06:40, DarthFomar wrote:

Anyway, don't let these *ahem* people get to ya'. Well, I wish you the best of luck with your next job. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

You see, if someone comes in and rant about "I stabbed this person in the eye and he got all mad at me and want to sue my pants off. What a dumbfuck." Are we not allowed to say something like "It is your fault."?

Yes people are entitled to rant. But if you post in a forum you would expect people to react to your rant: in more than one way and possibly differs from what you think it would be. Sometimes you also get sound advice for why this happened and possibly how to deal with the problem. I believe people are merely pointing out exactly why this is happening and point it out to him so that it won't happen again if it cause him that much frustration. Granted, it is done in a rather blunt way; but hey! Irresponsibility is irresponsibility. There is no other way to put it.

KaFKa
Aug 27, 2004, 10:33 AM
homie, your 17, getting paid more than you should, bought a NEW CAR, and your bitching about your manager wanting to have good employees, and not pampered little fuckheads?

seriously kid, you should get your shit together and know your priorities. i get paid about the same amount as you, and i guarantee i work for evrey god damn penny of it, and didnt play soccer so i could have mommy and daddy pay me for it.

and also, club soccer doesent pay except for seasonal winners. this is according to a friend of mine who does play club soccer, and is on one of the better teams in las vegas. so dont start shit talking about how im talking out of my ass.

so in closing, ask a mod to lock this, because you have already been owned, pwned, proven wrong, and are now making yourself look like a dumbshit.

DarthFomar
Aug 27, 2004, 10:53 AM
On 2004-08-27 08:21, navinator wrote:
Granted, it is done in a rather blunt way

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Blunt is hardly the word. More like cruel. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

geewj
Aug 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
On 2004-08-27 04:34, DarthFomar wrote:
Geezz, why do people have to be rude and...and......sour. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

He's trying to rant because he was fired and needed to let out whatever frustation he was feeling (presumably).

It's really not anyone's place to judge whatever did or didn't happen. It's his life, he's dealing with it, and I'm sure he doesn't need people throwing it around in his face.

I really love the way people treat each other this day and age; so quick to turn on someone, so quick to judge...I mean seriously, give the guy a friggin' break. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

No one barged into his house and started chewing him out for being irresponsible about his job. He made a thread about it on a fourm, and people replied with their thoughts on it. This is the rants forum, not the pity forum. They aren't obligated to agree with him and tell him that he is right and great.

No one called him names or condemed him to hell. They just told him exactly why it was he lost his job, since he seemed to be confused and frustrated about it. I mean, come on, your first week of work and you call in the MORNING of the day you are supposed to work because you have a soccer game? He didn't seem to realize how rude, irresponsible, and inconsiderate that is.

I really love the way people treat each other this day and age; so quick to turn on someone, so quick to judge...I mean seriously, give the guy a friggin' break.

I think that you're being, well...quick to judge. This wasn't a personal attack on the guy. They are just telling him that it's no wonder why he lost his job, he was irresponsible with it. I don't think they plan on beating him up after school or anything.

And just out of curiosity, how exactly were they supposed to give him a break.

Telling him that he was right to have called in to work that day, and that KFC is lucky that he called them at all?

Yeah, it may seem nice and agreeable, but it's a lie. And that advice will be sure to get him fired from his next job too.

Tell him that his boss was probably just some loser on a power trip?

So assumptions are ok so long as the person you are assuming the worst of is not listening in. Even though more likely than not his boss was simply trying to run a KFC and did not have time to waste on employees who were going to call in the day of work during thier first week. And maybe the boss was tired of spending all his time trying to find people to work when someone calls in when he should be placing the orders that need to be in the end of the day or else the KFC won't have any food for next week. I mean seriously, give the boss a friggin' break.

Anyways, long story short. The reason everyone isn't crowding agree with our soccer player here is because as he explained it in his post, he seemed to be the wrong one. And it's not because everyone hates him, it's simply because given employee etiquite, he was wrong.

Bradicus
Aug 27, 2004, 05:14 PM
Wow! I guess I should have been fired months ago. Just this summer, I've:

Broken a riding mower (3 times)
Broken a weed whacker
Broken a push mower (2 times)
Drove a riding mower into a ditch
Broken a shovel
Ran over rocks on the riding mower (45+ times)
Decided not to work for the last alf hour of the day (once or twice a week)
Showed up 20 min + late (5 or 6 times)
Ran over a baseball with the riding mower
Ran over a tennis ball with the riding mower

It's not as bad as it sounds, but still.

digigram
Aug 27, 2004, 05:27 PM
all of which.. you still showed up.. not to mention, by your descriptions, you are working for a national corporation.. probably some guy or even yourself.

There ARE boundaries one can pass. Especially in your field.. either way, if you start showing to someone that you are unreliable (ie: not showing up) then thats universal.

but making mistakes is totally acceptable.

coming in 20 minutes late to a lawn care job is totally different.. unless the client is waiting for you and has other important things to do.

Bradicus
Aug 27, 2004, 06:02 PM
On 2004-08-27 15:27, digigram wrote:
all of which.. you still showed up.. not to mention, by your descriptions, you are working for a national corporation.. probably some guy or even yourself.

There ARE boundaries one can pass. Especially in your field.. either way, if you start showing to someone that you are unreliable (ie: not showing up) then thats universal.

but making mistakes is totally acceptable.

coming in 20 minutes late to a lawn care job is totally different.. unless the client is waiting for you and has other important things to do.

That's why I said that it isn't as bad as it sounds. I take care of a huge area for nine hours a day, and a little time here and there doesn't make much difference.

Still, I seem to have the worst luck with my tools (how the hell do you break a 2 inch thick shovel handle?). My boss is just a really easy going guy.

digigram
Aug 27, 2004, 06:06 PM
(how the hell do you break a 2 inch thick shovel handle?)
you probably didn't.

Sometimes moisture damages the woods grain/structure and the most normal usage of that wood.. no matter how thick.. can break as easily as a tree branch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-27 18:10 ]</font>

Xaos127
Aug 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
On 2004-08-27 08:33, KaFKa wrote:

and also, club soccer doesent pay except for seasonal winners. this is according to a friend of mine who does play club soccer, and is on one of the better teams in las vegas. so dont start shit talking about how im talking out of my ass.
I live in Australia, Adelaide and i play for Croydon Kings SC senior level. Maybe it works like that in the US i have no idea but here every player on my team gets paid, not all get as much as me some getless some get more.
I didnt make this thread for pity i just wanted to get it off my chest, peace...

geewj
Aug 27, 2004, 09:44 PM
On 2004-08-27 17:56, Xaos127 wrote:
I didnt make this thread for pity i just wanted to get it off my chest, peace...

Yeah, no one was saying you did, so don't worry.

War_Child
Aug 27, 2004, 11:02 PM
Query, how can someone "do their homework" into YOUR personal life, especially when you skimp on details?

This is how calling in others work.

1) The employee calls in saying he can't make it.

2) The manager has to spend time to write off your shift, and call in another employee. Often enough these employees will have to CANCEL previously made plans. You have already pissed off, at the minimum, two people. If this person had plans with others, 3 minimum. See: Domino Effect

3) Failing to find a replacement, the manager will have to try and find someone willing to work a doubleshift to cover your ass, or do your work on top of his, for NO extra pay. In soccer terms, that's like the coach having to take the role of the offensive player that decides to go to the beach instead of the game, since all the extra players are unavailable.

See the pains in the ass you caused? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On another note, telling your boss that one "job" (I refuse to call playing a game work) is more important than the one you were expected to show up for shows two things: disrespect and unreliability. Since you showed you obviously didn't want this job, it went to the next guy who actually wanted it. This may come to a shock, but some people see reliability and the willingness to work more important than soccer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: War_Child on 2004-08-27 21:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: War_Child on 2004-08-27 21:04 ]</font>

Arislan
Aug 28, 2004, 08:15 AM
/me agrees with the above statements regarding losing the job.

Sucks to be you, give them 2 weeks notice, or at least 48 hours for unexpected stuff next time.

As for the Pro/Non-pro thing, in the US, if you are paid AT ALL (even tips, or getting a commission for points), you are pro. If so much as a penny enters your hands as a result of your playing, you're pro. So, that's likely why people are so up about you saying you're not, when you make money from playing.

DarthFomar
Aug 28, 2004, 09:57 AM
On 2004-08-27 09:12, Prof_Frink wrote:
I think that you're being, well...quick to judge.

I really don't have to defend myself, but... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If you would have noticed I've kinda been keeping up on this topic. I've been reading every post. I've taken into account, everything everyone has stated...read through their very posts. I think I've understood everything they've had to say, and most of them were not subtle, very rude, and frankly no where near helpful.

And please don't go telling me that I'm quick to judge, because the fact of the matter is, unless I'm just being a complete jerk...I never judge someone harshly, nor do I do it the instant I encounter them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sure this isn't a pitty forum. But there's no need, what-so-ever, to get treated the way he was treated.

I've said all I've needed, so...peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-08-28 08:26 ]</font>

geewj
Aug 28, 2004, 10:48 AM
On 2004-08-28 07:57, DarthFomar wrote:

On 2004-08-27 09:12, Prof_Frink wrote:
I think that you're being, well...quick to judge.

I really don't have to defend myself, but... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If you would have noticed I've kinda been keeping up on this topic. I've been reading every post. I've taken into account, everything everyone has stated...read through their very posts. I think I've understood everything they've had to say, and most of them were not subtle, very rude, and frankly no where near helpful.

And please don't go telling me that I'm quick to judge, because the fact of the matter is, unless I'm just being a complete jerk...I never judge someone harshly, nor do I do it the instant I encounter them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sure this isn't a pitty forum. But there's no need, what-so-ever, to get treated the way he was treated.

I've said all I've needed, so...peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-08-28 08:26 ]</font>

Hmm, my point about being quick to judge was this...

Nobody said he was a terrible person. Nobody said he was going to be a bum for the rest fo his life. Nobody was juding him.

What people did was state and voice thier confirmations of simple cause and effect.

Cause: You didn't come into work when you were supposed to and you only gave a few hours of notice.

Effect: You got fired.

Now how is that judging the guy?

Now here is what you were doing. You took this simple cause and effect and construed it into people being rude and mean to the guy. You assumed that their simple explination of the way the working world worked was an attack on this poor guy.
To take a simple statment of cause and effect, and claim that the person who stated it was being rude and mean means that you made a judgment call on the person, and what they meant. You added malicious undertones to thier otherwise soley factual statment.

I'm not saying you are a bad person for it, and I'm not saying you are out of line or anything. I don't have a problem with people being too quick to judge, but you seem to.

digigram
Aug 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
simply. This is a rant about getting pissed off at someone else for sticking your own hand in fire.

It's very selfish and doesn't make much sense.

If he wanted to go play a game instead of work.. fine. But in the long run, don't tell a bunch of other people that bust our asses day in and day out that he thought the manager was being an asshole for firing him, because he wanted to go play a game..

I don't have any empathy, sympathy, pitty, or any way to relate to that, because it's a totally ignorant point of view. It's exactly the same as a rebelious teenager saying "fuck you" to his mom for not letting him have his way all the time.

That is why we might be coming off as rude, to you, because we are all (most) hard working adults that if we were in the managers position, we'd fired him several times over. thats all. If we seem rude, so be it, but we have our reasons, and he didn't have his.

jspacemunkey
Aug 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
just my thoughts...

some people don't take retail (and i'm lumping kfc in here because fast food joints are, to my mind, essentially retail) seriously, and i can understand why. you have to remember that, even though most people working in retail get walked on by customers and treated poorly by the companies they work for, a retail job is still a job. as has been said, never show up late in your first week and if you ever do show up late call your manager to let him/her know you're running a little late (5 minutes should be excusable, but check the particular company's guidelines). once you've been at a particular job for a while things may change. for example, i worked at a movie theater (again, essentially retail) for three years. i worked very hard and after a while i found that if i ran a little late (not more than five minutes) i wouldn't even have to call in because my managers thought so highly of me. when you've established yourself as a hard worker who cares about the position, then you tend to have a little more freedom. of course, i would never have deliberately come in late to work, but if i did i knew i wouldn't be kicked out.

as for calling in the day of... everyone's pretty much covered that. let me just add that in the past when i've been working and i was expecting someone to show up to assist me and that person called in that day it usually screwed up my day as well. having to work one retail position isn't much fun, but having to work one position and cover another because someone chose not to be responsible is torture. i had days at the movie theater where i had to cover as many as three positions, and it sucked bigtime. i did it though, and ultimately they offered to make me a supervisor. (i declined as i was graduating college and needed to find a better paying job.)

bottom line: no matter what else is going on in your life a job is a responsibility. you agree when you take a job to show up on time when you're scheduled. if you have other commitments that might require you to leave at any time then you really can't commit to a job. yelling at you in front of customers because you were running late is totally unprofessional (i've had managers like that and they make the job unbearable) but firing you for calling the day of is not out of line. i empathize with you on the former point for sure.

Myopathy
Aug 29, 2004, 01:53 PM
On 2004-08-27 17:56, Xaos127 wrote:

On 2004-08-27 08:33, KaFKa wrote:

I live in Australia, Adelaide and i play for Croydon Kings SC senior level. Maybe it works like that in the US i have no idea but here every player on my team gets paid, not all get as much as me some getless some get more.

Nice of you to mention that now. In the US, the only people who get paid regularly for playing soccer are pros. That actually applies in ALL sports. They don't pay amateurs money to play in the US. And yes, my university has a club soccer team, and none of the players get paid a single cent, even when they make it to nationals.