PDA

View Full Version : Hero... *cries*

Solstis
Aug 27, 2004, 06:54 PM
Seriously. "Hero" almost made me cry.

Hero, though I knew it would be better than "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," quickly evolved into a beautiful work of art.

Ach! The English major within me is pained that it cannot weave a spell so complicated and luring!

Aredhel
Aug 27, 2004, 08:08 PM
So it was good, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I LOVED Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- beautiful cinematography, martial arts, acting, story, message, characters, and intrigue. It was an enigma of a movie that transcended art. Would I like this one? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Aug 27, 2004, 08:10 PM
On 2004-08-27 18:08, Aredhel wrote:
So it was good, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I LOVED Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- beautiful cinematography, martial arts, acting, story, message, characters, and intrigue. It was an enigma of a movie that transcended art. Would I like this one? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't mind it being much better.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TheOneHero
Aug 27, 2004, 09:03 PM
I want to see it so bad. I heard from a lot of friends that is was awesome. I also loved "crouching tiger hidden dragon."

Anyway....don't spoil anything, or you shall die! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

*in a painful fkl way...*

WraithVerge
Aug 27, 2004, 09:37 PM
THAT'S the name of the movie... I knew something else came out today aside from Anaconda...

Sayara
Aug 27, 2004, 09:57 PM
Mmm Hmm! Good Movie Indeed!

Got me doodling doodles of it already. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Though its rather important you watch the entire time, and dont miss a thing! You'll regret it!

Guntz348
Aug 28, 2004, 01:19 AM
Am I the only one that knows this movie is like 2 years old and was nominated for an academy award? I've had the DVD for a while now, and I do agree it's a great film, but why, oh god tell me why Quintin Terentino had to attach his once again no talent HK plagerizing ass to this movie?

Can he please be shot now?

Btw, is the release that's in the theaters now subtitled or dubbed? I really hope they didn't dub it and ruin it. The arthouse release that was out when the film was first made was subtitled of couse, I hope they kept it that way.

darkholemind
Aug 28, 2004, 05:57 AM
i want to seez it so bad too alas no monies. Soltstis, by the way im sure you cried http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif heheheh

Arislan
Aug 28, 2004, 07:54 AM
Subbed, and yes, I tried telling my friends that this movie has been available in Japan for over a year now and they told me I was a moron. ::Sigh:: Quentin, unless he got a Chinese name for the credits, was nowhere in them, which surprised me. Good thing I guess though.

In any case, I was *highly* disappointed by the movie. I walked out of it saying exactly the opposite... "Crouching Tiger kicked this thing's ass".

Once it got past the first telling of the stories and moved on, I lost all interest in the fight scenes. They just didn't seem *cool* anymore.

Spoiler alert

Saying "That's not how it happened, this is right" was a neat idea, and they did it well. Loved the cinematography involved with the color changes and such. Awesome. But once it was revealed that everything was staged, the whole movie turned into a farce. Watching the fights occur, they ceased to have any meaning whatsoever, since you knew they weren't actually battles for life (with a very few couple of exceptions).

What was with Sky? I wanted *way* more of him than we got. Love the martial artist in the first place, and was loving the time with him onscreen. And what happens... We get one scene with him, and then move onto the flat Broken Sword (can't act worth crap) and the aloof Snow. And then they go retell the same double murder/suicide thing three times. When it actually happened, I was too dead from the first ones to really care anymore. You two are just freakin' idiots.

This movie was good. Very well directed, very well shot, and the extras did a wonderful job. Past that, I can't say anything recommending it.

Solstis
Aug 28, 2004, 10:22 AM
*Gathers a small mob*

Get... HIM!

*points at Arislan*

But... but... it was Deeper than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. In a sort of nationalistic/rebellious way.

Arislan
Aug 28, 2004, 02:10 PM
Cept that Crouching Tiger had nothing to do with the legend of the Qin Dynasty, rather, it revolved around another legend, that of the Green Destiny blade. So, it wasn't as deep in a rebellious way, simply because it wasn't supposed to be. It was about people rather than a nation, although, with the whole Broken Sword/Snow thing, I guess an argument could be made there too.

Sharkyland
Aug 28, 2004, 06:25 PM
Hero was good...

Ness
Aug 28, 2004, 08:39 PM
It was alrgiht. I loved all the setting and the fight scenes, but the story was boring.

ShadowNINJA007
Aug 28, 2004, 08:52 PM
Crouching Tiger was confusing for me cuz it was one of firest foreign films all in a foreign language, and the story was a bit cracked. HOW IS THAT SWORD SO SPECIAL?? I DIDNT SEE ANY POWERS OR NUFFIN!! JUST A PEICE OF METAL!! Ok, done with the rant, anywhos, when I got the DVD, they had allready dubbed it into English and I was upset. Oh well.
I want to see Hero though, sounds better cuz its got maybe a better story http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arislan
Aug 28, 2004, 09:00 PM
Err, the Green Destiny was a superior weapon, a masterpiece. That's what made it so special. Weapons aren't always "unbreakable, cut through anything, ultimate swords" in all movies. This weapon was simply one of the best blades that had ever been made, used by one of the best fighters that ever was.

As for dubbing, the DVD contained both the Subbed and Dubbed version, no reason to be upset.

I'm not sure if I'll buy Hero when if comes out. Tough call. I enjoyed it for it's martial arts, but I think that it may not really hold up to multiple viewings as a movie.

Aurra
Aug 28, 2004, 11:11 PM
I'm a big Tarantino fan (points to title... and sig), but I don't get why his name is written all over the coming attractions for this movie. It's not about gangsters, he didn't direct it, and it's not even in English. Weird.

Anyway, I didn't really like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It was a little too... uh... boring for me. I was just looking for some slightly comedic kung fu ass kicking, which of course is probably why I didn't like it. The random flying and tree-running, the tacked on love plot between those two characters I hated, the subtitles, none of it really came together into a breathtaking cinema experience for me. Oh well, sue me for being an American teenage male who would rather watch Uma splatter the walls with the blood of about a hundred Japanese gangsters than read for two hours about the beauty of swordplay.

So yeah, although I could get in for free at the theater, I'll probably wait for Hero to come out on DVD to watch it. That way if I decide I hate it and want to leave in the middle, I at least won't be hating it and wanting to leave in the middle while halfway across town.

Arislan
Aug 28, 2004, 11:34 PM
If you're going to it because you want comedy, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I don't believe there was even a funny line in the entire thing. Not that that hurts it, but just letting you know.

Aurra
Aug 29, 2004, 12:09 AM
I would say in Hero's case and other movies like it, a funny line here and there would definitely hurt it. I hate it when they throw a random joke into a completely serious movie.

Sometimes it works and can even be awesome, but the movie has to understand that it's part comedy to begin with. Movies like Pulp Fiction and Starship Troopers are classics (in my eyes, at least http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) because they seamlessly blend comedy with action or drama, but if Chow Yun Fat had been cracking jokes every few minutes in Crouching Tiger, I probably would've liked it even less.

So yeah, I'll try not to expect Hero to be something it's not... but from the previews (and PG-13 rating, which leaves little room for things that are often the saving graces of a movie for me), I'm not really expecting to like it for what it is.

But, chances are I probably couldn't write and produce a better movie, so I guess I'll just be quiet now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aurra on 2004-08-28 22:11 ]</font>

MFGouken
Aug 29, 2004, 04:09 AM
I personally thought that this was a very good movie I really like how they did all of the martial arts scences and the story of the movie. I liked the music in the movie a lot, I really didnt care for the ending that much since Jet Li had the perfect chance to kill the King and yet he didnt do it he returned the sword to the king then after that he was executed in the courtyard by a whole bunch of arrows. I liked how there were two sides of the movie the flashbacks to what the story was that he told the king and what the king figured out for himself was very good. I like how they had it in Cantonese and was subtitled in English it made it worth seeing and made it feel like I was watching the events take place as they happened.
There were so many tight parts in the movie were you were just like DAMN, the part were he is in the calligrafy temple and a whole bunch of arrows were flying into the temple and everytime they would fire the arrows they would all chant "Storm, Storm".
The Fisrt fight scene was awsome ajust like the rest of them but it took place in a chess courtyard were an old blind man played music for them after Jet Li paid him and said "Sir if you please play us a tune" so he did they didnt start fighting again until the old blind man broke all the strings on his instrument.
The love story in the movie was really good and a bit sad when she killed Broken Sword after he dropped his sword becuase they were fighting over what he wrote in the sand only two words to The Namless Warrior which were 'Our Land' in Cantonese she did not believe him whe he said that she was still in her heart when he wrote that so that is why they fought and she killed him then with her sword still in him she commited Hari Kari so they would both "Go home together".
It had a few parts in it that were very Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in it but it was still worth it. I am definetly going to get his movie later this week on DVD from hong Kong so Im happy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif its been out for over a year there.

Myopathy
Aug 29, 2004, 02:01 PM
It came out in 2003 in China, so I've had the pirated DVD since last summer. Therefore, I can't say I was too excitied about the US release. However, it does have a decent plot, although I felt the fight scenes were lacking.

Guile
Aug 29, 2004, 03:42 PM
I remember reading about the movie in a magazine months ago and it mainly just pointed out about the use of colors. But I'm still yet to see it.

OniTatsujin
Aug 29, 2004, 06:59 PM
I thought Hero was a great movie....
It wasn't like all the repeats of movie plots that have been plagueing our theaters...

Blenjar
Aug 29, 2004, 07:39 PM
Story was pretty good, tho I hated the subtitles.

Gnarled_rose
Aug 31, 2004, 06:20 PM
Planning on seeing it Saturday, if I'm lucky; If Aurra's the typical American male, I'll love the movie.

shifter
Aug 31, 2004, 10:01 PM
i saw it opening night, and rather enjoyed it. going in i thought, quinten tarentnio(dont know how to spell his name as you can see), jet li, i emmediately that it was going to be an action movie. boy was i surprised, but in a good way, like getting something you wanted for christmas but forgot about. though i only could get into the symbolism with the colors and how it help to portray the movie. it was very deep and really made a lot of sence after the movie was nearly over, about what the king was seeking(i wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it).

Noone
Sep 1, 2004, 12:32 PM
I thought it was a beautifully done movie. One of my favorites. I saw it on dvd from a friends pirated copy of the movie at the beginning of summer, and i saw the movie again on saturday an other friend who had the movie from canada. I enjoyed it each time. The seeting and the how they conveyed the characters.