PDA

View Full Version : Fuck you, Spyware.

Eihwaz
Aug 29, 2004, 01:04 PM
God dammit, I am so fucking sick and tired of spy/adware! I've scanned my computer with 5 or 6 different scanning programs, removed scores of spyware and adware, and several virii, and I even went so far as to completely remove IE from the system, but I STILL get FUCKING ANNOYING little pop-ups. I get one that pops up a tiny IE window, then leaves. I get one that continually asks me for some lame program, and I get an error if I click no.

Oh, I'm playing an online game? Well, fuck you, Eihwaz, we're gonna crash your game in the middle of fun and successful Max Attack runs!

So, in closing, I send a nice, big...

FUCK YOU

...to anyone who makes or promotes this lame shit. And does anyone know how to get rid of these fuckers? I've used:
~Norton Antivirus, updated year 2004 copy
~Ad-aware SE
~Spybot
~AVG
~Several webpage-based programs
~And others that I've already gotten rid of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-08-29 11:05 ]</font>

Guile
Aug 29, 2004, 03:38 PM
I was having mad problems with Spyware to, no matter how many times I scanned and cleaned the comp they just kept coming back. But it stopped once I got StopZilla.

Eihwaz
Aug 29, 2004, 04:30 PM
On 2004-08-29 13:38, Guile wrote:
I was having mad problems with Spyware to, no matter how many times I scanned and cleaned the comp they just kept coming back. But it stopped once I got StopZilla.

Yeah, I was using STOPzilla too. I kept getting a weird error message, and I think I was supposed to configure something in Firefox. >_>

Para
Aug 29, 2004, 05:40 PM
spyware must be embedded in your registry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

digigram
Aug 29, 2004, 06:06 PM
go into services, and turn off "messenger"

that'll fix it.. that shit used to happen to me and I found a fix for it.

hope this helps man.

start/administrative tools/services/messenger = turn off and disable.

Getintothegame
Aug 29, 2004, 06:53 PM
I hate those pop-ups. They went away after a bit for me, though. The post above me does fix it as well.

I also hate that stuff that changes the search if the page is not found. Those tick me off, especially when they change the URLs, like when you type in google.com, they make you go to searchweb.com or what not.

Kupi
Aug 29, 2004, 09:36 PM
Try finding anything that doesn't look like it belongs in Task Manager, and run a Google search on it. Only very, very rarely will people target just one computer with spyware, so if you've got it, someone else has dealt with. You might find help that way.

Eihwaz
Aug 29, 2004, 09:41 PM
On 2004-08-29 16:06, digigram wrote:

hope this helps man.

That sounds highly useful, but I can't seem to find it. I'm on professional edition of XP, I suppose that has something to do with it. >_>

On 2004-08-29 19:36, Kupi wrote:
Try finding anything that doesn't look like it belongs in Task Manager, and run a Google search on it. Only very, very rarely will people target just one computer with spyware, so if you've got it, someone else has dealt with. You might find help that way.

I would do that, but my fucking Timer doesn't let me open Task Manager. I'm currently poking through msconfig...hmm...T_T

navci
Aug 29, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hijack this (http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/)

I believe Arislan is the one who posted this recently.
Read the page, download it. Fix problem. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navinator on 2004-08-30 01:10 ]</font>

Xaos127
Aug 30, 2004, 01:14 AM
On 2004-08-29 19:41, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2004-08-29 16:06, digigram wrote:

hope this helps man.

That sounds highly useful, but I can't seem to find it. I'm on professional edition of XP, I suppose that has something to do with it. >_>
it is in the control panel.

digigram
Aug 30, 2004, 02:43 AM
it has many available locations. one in accessories.. one in control panel..

I have XPpro. many of the problems you guys seem to experience constantly, can be fixed by knowing how and where to turn off certain services that run constantly that you never use.

one being messenger. ever experience that "get you college diploma" etc etc windows looking dialog boxes that pops up, that has nothing to do with IE? the "messenger" service is what allows such adware/spyware to be placed onto your system, without your consent, you don't even have to download or agree to something.

go turn it off.

Kupi
Aug 30, 2004, 02:56 PM
Okay, here's how you find Messenger on XP Pro (which I happen to use):

Start -> Help And Support

Under "Pick a Task," pick the fourth option, "Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems".

The fourth option from the top in the top list on the left should be "System Configuration Utility". Click on that.

Click "Open System Configuration Utility".

In the new window that pops up, click the "Services" tab.

Find "Messenger" and uncheck it. Exit the System Configuration Utility and restart, and it should be off for good.

I hope that helps!

InfinityXXX
Aug 31, 2004, 01:02 AM
On 2004-08-29 11:04, Eihwaz wrote:
God dammit, I am so fucking sick and tired of spy/adware! I've scanned my computer with 5 or 6 different scanning programs, removed scores of spyware and adware, and several virii, and I even went so far as to completely remove IE from the system, but I STILL get FUCKING ANNOYING little pop-ups. I get one that pops up a tiny IE window, then leaves. I get one that continually asks me for some lame program, and I get an error if I click no.

Oh, I'm playing an online game? Well, fuck you, Eihwaz, we're gonna crash your game in the middle of fun and successful Max Attack runs!

So, in closing, I send a nice, big...

FUCK YOU

...to anyone who makes or promotes this lame shit. And does anyone know how to get rid of these fuckers? I've used:
~Norton Antivirus, updated year 2004 copy
~Ad-aware SE
~Spybot
~AVG
~Several webpage-based programs
~And others that I've already gotten rid of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-08-29 11:05 ]</font>

Preach it!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

haruna
Sep 1, 2004, 11:48 AM
For starters, I use Mozilla instead of IE and wow, a lot of problems went away right there!
You could possibly blame MSIE for a lot of your woes. Curse ActiveX and all the little things it can do behind your back!

Be careful of what you install too.
Some freeware programs you download can put spyware in your computer. My friend ran Ad-Aware and Spybot. Then another person installed Ragnarok Online on her computer and Spybot's realtime protection alarms went off.
I don't know if the lastest RO installer still does this crap. This was a while ago.
PSO Blue Burst did not install any spyware. Thank you ST!

For a list of more programs that have installed spyware, check here:
http://scumware.com/

It also gives you info on companies that support the use of spyware. Bycott the bastards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: haruna on 2004-09-01 09:54 ]</font>

Cynric
Sep 2, 2004, 06:53 PM
Go into all of your browsers and erase all your cookies. Then load up the browser you use the mmsot and configure the cookie seting to "prompt me for each cookie". This will open a message window that asks if you want to accept the site's cookie or not (this is extremely useful since often times eight or nine sites will try to cookie you in one page). I did this for my ne comp and my system has been spyware and virus free for months.

Zelutos
Sep 2, 2004, 06:56 PM
Go into the Off Topic forum and check the "-_-" thread. I've posted ways to get rid of ads and spyware.

(You stole my avatar Cynric http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2004-09-02 16:57 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Sep 2, 2004, 08:41 PM
Yes, I have now more or less solved my problems. No more annoying popups, and no more IE error messages. Yay, I'm free! *rejoices with dance*

Para
Sep 2, 2004, 09:12 PM
try totally disabling activex http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

KaFKa
Sep 2, 2004, 09:24 PM
yes, using hijackthis and killing IE is one way to get rid of all that. >_>