PDA

View Full Version : Is a "cleric" feasible?

Kupi
Jun 26, 2002, 08:47 PM
First off, I had no idea where to post this. It isn't off-topic, and it partially concerns gameplay, but it also concerns some of the writings I have planned and it might come off as a bit of a rant. Ultimately, I decided to plunk it in Fan Works because that's where it might just get understood (not insulting the intelligence of the readers, I mean "understood" as in sympathized with).

As indicated by the subject line, I'm debating with myself the feasibility of a "cleric" type character, made out of a FOmar. It's little more than a Force who's limited to the use of only the spells that do not deal damage, with one exception. Therefore, the character will be able to use, in sum, Resta, Anti, Reverser, Shifta, Deband, Jellen, Zalure, Ryuker, and Grants. Grants is the exception, since it's a "holy" attack.

My debate is with whether or not this will both A) work and B) be acceptable to the other players. I'm sure that a tanking FOmar won't be incredibly difficult to pull off, as some /Arm units will take care of accuracy and a Power Mag combined with the FOmar's high(er than the other Forces) ATP plus the stat spells will provide decent damage.

At this point one might say, "If you want to do physical damage so badly, just pick a Hunter." That's not my intent. To reiterate, I want to make a CLERIC. In online play, I would made sure that all support spells were in effect before doing anything to attack the enemies, whether that's taking whacks with a Saber, shooting with a Handgun, or getting goofy with a Slicer (Kupi is a Whitill).

However, one of the "support" spells is the Barta series (and Zonde in the case of Machines that can be Shorted), but that's attack magic. The argument is there that Freezing the enemies is support as well. This, I don't argue, and it's a kink in my plan.

There wouldn't be a debate, however, if not for the character himself: Kupi. He's fairly faithful to his religous order's rules (I believe that PSO leaves an allowance for the existence of a religous group somewhere on the P2), and wouldn't use attack magic (which, he belives, originates from the hate in one's soul, and the use of it is certain damnation). But now we're getting into the backstory, which I'll have to explain.

By the way, if what I've said so far hasn't given it away already, I'm very serious about this. One guy said in chat, "Screw the backstory." I can't do that. That just isn't me, and I'd go insane if I tried to drop the backstory from any of my characters. That's the kind of guy I am... every character is truly a character!

Here's the condensed version: while Kupi tried to stay strictly within the rules of the White Order (the name of the religious group of which he is a member), he never got into the meetings and what he considered needless ceremony. This is what kept him alive. The leader of the group called a big meeting, all members mandatorily in attendence, because she had "found God." Kupi managed to get sidetracked in the Ruins and wound up coming in late. Turns out, the leader was possessed by Dark Falz, and managed to spread that to all the other members of the group... except Kupi, since he wasn't there when it happened. Long story short, Kupi inadvertently winds up killing the leader once he shows up, which kills off everyone else as well. That fulfills one of the Order's propheies: "The Order shall be destroyed by the weak of faith." Later, as he's relating the story to one of his brothers, Kupi tells him that he "doesn't know who or what to believe any more," to which his brother tells him that, "when you can't trust anyone else, believe in yourself."

Now, this gets me to an important point: I've never considered how Kupi would react to his friends dying by his own hands, and I'm gosh-darn confused. My first impulse is that Kupi wouldn't just give up the teachings of the Order. You can kill every member of a religion, but that doesn't change the truth they teach. Even though the White Order no longer exists, it doesn't change what he's been taught. So, even though the rules are no longer there, he still wouldn't use attack magic of his own accord.

But, Kupi's 18, and fairly naive. And killing an entire religious order, even by accident, could be fairly shocking, plus that line from his brother. Like I said, I don't know how Kupi would react, and the experience could very well change his outlook on life. In that case, the in-character aspect of this whole ordeal is covered, since it could go one way or the other, depending. However, I'm leaning toward not giving up his beliefs.

On a different angle on the situation, having one "Cleric" leaves me with a "black mage" on the other side: Kupe. Kupe would be left with everything Kupi can't use and "neutral" spells, meaning Foie, Zonde, Barta, the respective Gi and Ra spells, Megid, Ryuker, Shifta, Deband, Jellen, and Zalure. A Force that can't attack is one thing, a Force that can't heal is another. I'd be able to live with that (as I'd be able to live without attack magic if not for worrying about the opinions of others... see below), but not being able to Resta someone is a surefire way to tick them off, and might limit Kupe to offline. If Kupi turns out to use all of the spells, then Kupe could use them all as well.

This last defense is probably the least important: it's rather obvious that FOmars are going to be rather overused when the new version hits the public. I'd like to do something different, but don't get the wrong idea: this idea stemmed more from the character of Kupi, rather than the urge to be different.

What it all boils down to is this: I've come to PSOW for advise. I'd like the opinion of you players out there who actually know what you're doing to tell me if you think I can pull this style of play off. By that, I mean not just being an efficient player, but in such manner that I don't tick anyone off by refusing to use attack magic and "characterizing" my character.

Feel free to be as harsh as you want if you consider me an idiot. That's what I want to know; whether or not I'm an idiot for considering this idea! ^_^

**If you want to argue that a cleric or religous order seems out of place in the context of PSO, I'll counter that there's a Phantasy Star precedent for religion in the universe: Raja and his church of PS4.**

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2002-06-27 05:28 ]</font>