PDA

View Full Version : Gah...BMP problem.

Sef
Sep 5, 2004, 05:33 PM
I can only save images from the internet, as bmp's.

I thought I saw a topic about this before, but I can't seem to find it.

Any idea on what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Eihwaz
Sep 5, 2004, 05:40 PM
Hm, after saving the image as a BMP, why don't you try opening it in Paint and then choose Save As. You should be able to save it as whatever format you want.

Sef
Sep 5, 2004, 05:42 PM
On 2004-09-05 15:40, Eihwaz wrote:
Hm, after saving the image as a BMP, why don't you try opening it in Paint and then choose Save As. You should be able to save it as whatever format you want.

Well, that works...

But not with animated gifs or gifs with transparency.

Which is what I want.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 5, 2004, 05:45 PM
On 2004-09-05 15:42, Sef wrote:

On 2004-09-05 15:40, Eihwaz wrote:

Well, that works...

But not with animated gifs or gifs with transparency.

Which is what I want.

Animatied gif files cannot be saved in any other format lest you lose the animations.

Sef
Sep 5, 2004, 05:48 PM
Right...

Which is my problem.

I want to save animated gifs. But I can only save in BMP.

Zzzzzz
Sep 5, 2004, 05:52 PM
Try deleting the cookies and temporary internet files. That always works for me. =/

Sef
Sep 5, 2004, 06:04 PM
On 2004-09-05 15:52, Zzzzzz wrote:
Try deleting the cookies and temporary internet files. That always works for me. =/

Well, I can get the cookies...But for some reason IE doesn't like it when I try to delete the internet files.

It seems to freeze.

Elvendar
Sep 5, 2004, 10:27 PM
Delete your temporary internet files. It may seem like your computer freezes, but most of the time it doesn't. Walk away and let it clean up for a while, and come back when it's completed.

This should undoubtedly solve the problem.

Nai_Calus
Sep 5, 2004, 10:45 PM
I used to have that problem all the time. I fixed it by getting a better ISP than AOL and not using IE. XP

SpikeOtacon
Sep 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) is your friend.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 5, 2004, 11:26 PM
Why do people hate IE so much? Never in my internet time, since 1999, have I had a single hicup on IE,. nor have my friends. I know of many that used those homebrewed browsers and had to reformat multiple times becuase they wouldn't work no matter how they configured them.

Elvendar
Sep 5, 2004, 11:54 PM
Personally, I use both IE and Firefox. I like IE because it's fast and rather simple, but Firefox does have a multitude of GREAT features that just can't be beaten.

Anyway, this stems with a problem with web browsers in general. Whenever you view something from the internet, it stores data in Temporary Internet Files to make it easier to load in the future. This folder gets filled (Very slowly) until it is full. Once it's full, you can't save things as the original filetypes anymore.

I'm pretty sure someone who knows more about computers could explain it better. The same thing happened to me and my tech-savvy friend told me how to fix it.

Alielle
Sep 7, 2004, 01:14 PM
For some reason, IE has some ungodly-sized cache for temporary files BY DEFAULT. Whenever I've tried to clear it, it would crash. I use Firefox whenever possible now.

IE=the whore of the Internet (i.e., contracts all the viruses, malware, etc).