PDA

View Full Version : Broadband's Next Evolution

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2002, 08:50 PM
Just a snip from the article:

Inexpensive, wireless broadband that could drive traditional cable and phone companies out of business. That's because EtherLinx has come up with a way to tweak inexpensive, readily available wireless fidelity -- better known as Wi-Fi -- and extend its range from mere feet to up to 50 miles at incredibly high speeds. The data transfer rate has been successfully tested at 10 Mbps, but when it reaches the market it will offer only 2 Mbps.

The rest of the article can be found here:
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3380

No wonder my phone bill sky-rocketed to over $100 this month, the phone companies must have knew about this o_O;

TeamPhalanx
Jun 27, 2002, 09:05 PM
Not too sure about this... sounds like (much) less security.

Dabra
Jun 27, 2002, 09:09 PM
Indeed...i mean you could just give your password and login to a friend and they could use your account for free.

But if they have it secured, like games do with serial numbers, then it'll still be a pain if you have say....a company that owns 200 pc's, and dont want to pay for "200" times the money required for the monthly bill....i mean won't they need new passwords and accounts? pain...pain...

But i'm sure they have something up their sleeves...

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2002, 09:13 PM
On 2002-06-27 19:05, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Not too sure about this... sounds like (much) less security.

Unless it becomes mainstream, in which case it will be taken measures to stay secure. Is anything secure these days? You have people using regular phone lines talking about illegal things and people on the net doing all kinds of illegal activity. You can't stop the rush of technology.

I think it will be a great thing, more access for alot more people, better advantages for everyone. And it's cheaper than the current things on the market.

*EDIT*
Did anyone read the article? It's talking about broadband being spread to the rest of the populace that doesn't have it in their area, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than whats already available. Which means it could drive alot of companies out of business because it's so effective and efficient.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-06-27 19:16 ]</font>

Dabra
Jun 27, 2002, 09:24 PM
*scratches head*

what's the estimated price? "cheap" can be 100 bucks compared to the new technology, or "cheap" can be 10 bucks compared to the bill for cable modem....

Read the article and....does this include phones? i mean i know you got the cell phones and all, but will "phone lines" still exist after this new etherlynx? like if someone calls you, you be able to get another call at the same time?

I dont know if you know more than what has been written in the article, but if you do respond heh.

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2002, 09:31 PM
On 2002-06-27 19:24, Dabra_Shenrox wrote:
what's the estimated price? "cheap" can be 100 bucks compared to the new technology, or "cheap" can be 10 bucks compared to the bill for cable modem....

"Cheaper" than whats currently available. They aren't going to release any specifics because it isn't released yet. But remember, "cheaper" is good considering it's better than whats currently available.

Read the article and....does this include phones? i mean i know you got the cell phones and all, but will "phone lines" still exist after this new etherlynx? like if someone calls you, you be able to get another call at the same time?

Phone lines will still exist. And I'd think you'd still be able to get a call at the same time. And yes it will include phones, cellular phones, internet, radio even.

I dont know if you know more than what has been written in the article, but if you do respond heh.

No, I only know from whats written in the article. Sorry, it's 10:34pm and I stop reading minds at 6pm.

TinyGrendel
Jun 27, 2002, 09:45 PM
People tend to exagerate. 22megabit wireless ethernet is only 8megabit for example. 50 miles is just a mind boggling distance for anything wireless. Heck, i don't even think radio goes that far. You would have lots of interfearance. And that 50mi may easily be blocked by buildings or hills.

Don't get ur hopes up people.

XBOX_JEDI
Jun 29, 2002, 06:21 PM
On 2002-06-27 19:45, TinyGrendel wrote:
People tend to exagerate. 22megabit wireless ethernet is only 8megabit for example. 50 miles is just a mind boggling distance for anything wireless. Heck, i don't even think radio goes that far. You would have lots of interfearance. And that 50mi may easily be blocked by buildings or hills.

Don't get ur hopes up people.

u could set a tranmitter on top of a very large building

ABDUR101
Jun 29, 2002, 07:02 PM
Actually, since it's cheap to make and use, they could just create a web of transmitters where ever they are needed to fill in the gaps. Alot better than spreading wires and lines all over the place.

XBOX_JEDI
Jun 29, 2002, 10:53 PM
cool really cool

TinyGrendel
Jun 30, 2002, 01:09 PM
On 2002-06-29 17:02, ABDUR101 wrote:
Actually, since it's cheap to make and use, they could just create a web of transmitters where ever they are needed to fill in the gaps. Alot better than spreading wires and lines all over the place.

It's still impractical. With an external antenna regular 802.11b signals can travel miles IF there is a line of sight. It doesn't work too well thru objects. Also, having 802.11b signals going everywhere is bad because it would affect cell phones and the such to have such a strong signal. Don't forget about privacy either, hard wire you have to get access to thru physical cutting, where wireless is a lot easier. Also, if the network isn't encrypted right then people can piggyback on the network for free.

ABDUR101
Jun 30, 2002, 01:54 PM
On 2002-06-30 11:09, TinyGrendel wrote:
It's still impractical. With an external antenna regular 802.11b signals can travel miles IF there is a line of sight. It doesn't work too well thru objects. Also, having 802.11b signals going everywhere is bad because it would affect cell phones and the such to have such a strong signal. Don't forget about privacy either, hard wire you have to get access to thru physical cutting, where wireless is a lot easier. Also, if the network isn't encrypted right then people can piggyback on the network for free.

Hey, here's an idea, take a backseat and let them atleast use the damn stuff to test it out. If it's supposedly better than current phone and cable uses, and they've gotten a great deal to put it to use, I'm sure it has some potential. Hell, I don't care if it fills the smallest most idiotic niche in the electronic world, if it makes anything easier, that's good.

Everything has problems, people complain about every new thing that gets released, but once it finds a use, people will be thankful for it.

Have hope damn you! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

oh, and when haven't people piggy-backed on any network? Hell I know alot of people that are getting free cable, with all the supreme expensive channels, people who have free internet accounts as well. If there's an advancement in technology, people are always going to find ways to take advantage of it. Just like mp3!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-06-30 11:58 ]</font>