PDA

View Full Version : Skorpius' Gude to FOmarls

Skorpius
Sep 9, 2004, 12:42 AM
Skorpius' Guide to FOmarls

I've seen way too many FOmarl topics to NOT do this, plus I'm bored, and I didn't see anything like this yet, so I might as well compile knoledge and facts together into one nice long tasty topic. So, I'll list the types of possible FOmarls, and some basic statagies for these.

FOmarls in general: (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1180)< -- Click for basic info! ;o
FOmarls are a hybrid type character, they can be played in any sort of style, and be rather successful in it. You can never really go wrong with a FOmarl, except in the beginning of the game, with no supporting techs and low stats overall. But once you get a decent mag, and some good stat growht, and equip, you'll start finding out that FOmarls are "Jack of all trades". Their level 30 techniques raise them above Hunters and Rangers, and their rounded stats put them above other forces, in terms of being all-round-do-it-all. ATP isn't awesome, nor is ATA, but they're still good enough to not suck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gifSo here are several different styles that I have worked with and tested.

MST Based Styles:

Support:
This is what everyone thinks FOmarls should be, and although it seems logical, I think it's the worst way to go. Although you can do this successfully, you still basically waste their ATP/ATA growth. A lot of people like support whores, though, so finding games to tag with Jellen and Zelure shouldn't be too difficult. Spam your support and healing techs, and act as a distraction, and you'll be ok. Focus on MST and DFP with your mag, units, and materials.

Ideal Equip:
=Weapons:
Striker of Chao / Madam's Umbrella
Marina's Bag / Madam's Parasol
=Armor:
Sacred Cloth (You don't want to be a paralyzed support force)
PB/Create (to get PB, you arent attacking, or getting hit, so this will help)
God/HP
God/Body
God/Legs
Cure/??? (Any cure, other than para, will work decently. Best to use confuse, and freeze)
=Shield:
Rico's Glasses (you can see traps if there is no bot on the team)
Resta Merge (use with Striker of chao)

Mag Stats:
For support, you would want mad MST. Just crank as much MIND into your mag as possible, only allowing DEF to gain any extra runoff from feeding.

Attack Tech Spam:
Now, FOmarls dont have any attack tech boost, other than 1.5x Grants, and with their low MST/TP, they arent going to be very good at it. You can, however, use weapons with boosts to make it ok. Basically stand back, custom a few techs, and nuke away.

Ideal Equip:
=Waepons:
=Simple Techs:
Twinkle Star
Summit Moon
=Normal Techs:
Magical Piece
C-Sorcerer's Cane (has a 30% TP cost cut, very nice to use)
=Hard Techs:
Prophets of Motav
Psycho Wand (Tech cost off of HP, 50% TP cost reduction, best you could use)
=Armor:
Love Heart (best armor for females, can gain DFP higher than aura)
Virus Wear: Lafuteria
God/Tech
God/HP
PB/Create
God/Body
=Shield:
Rico's Glasses (again, traps, and your tech spam will kill them)
Safety Heart (best shield legitly available)
Rico's Glasses (next best you could go for)

Mag Stats:
Basically, use your Support mag. Same deal

ATP Based Styles:

Melee Combat:
A style not liked by people, mainly those who like the support whores. This is one of the challenging styles to play, due to it's difference in gameplay and limitations to weapons, getting up close and personal with your enemy. using non ranged attacks (no attack techs), a melee FOamrl can be a nice reward at the end of the day, but not too effective all around. FOmarl's attack animations are slow, partisans and swords especially. Their Saber animaiton isnt all too bad, looks nice, but their twin animation NEEDS a God/Battle. Materials should be def pow luck and evp based (i like evp mats, nyah!)
Ideal Equip:
=Weapons:
S rank Twin (with spirit)
Soul Banish / Madam's Parasol (Has spirit)
=Armor:
Sacred Cloth (dont want to get para when in a Vulmer's face)
God/Luck
God/Battle
God/Arm
God/Luck
=Shield
Safety Heart (highest EVP)

Mag Stats:
You could very well take your HUcast / RAcast mag and slap it on this style. A pow > dex mag would work wonders here, so dont be afraid to have mind set to 0. Pow should no less than 130, dex no less than 50

Ranged Combat:
Standing back a little, a ranged combat FOmarl can provide decnt mid to long range attacks, helping the team without getting in the way of danger. Weither it be sniping lilies in cave/temple, meching belras, or slicer-ing a group, ranged FOmarls are kind of fun to use! Materials should go into power, and luck

Ideal Equip:
=Weapons:
L&K14 Combats / Charge Vulcan 50% Hit
C-Bringer's Rifle / Holy Ray
Red Slicer
=Armor:
Aura Field (wont need the TP)
God/Arm
God/Power
God/Luck
God/Battle (rilfe animation = SLOW)
=Shield
Rico's Glasses (snipe off traps)

Mag Stats:
Early on, if you want to use guns, you'll want to work on Dex. If you want the slicer first, work on Pow. Either way, use the other stats God unit (Work on Pow, use god/arm, and vise verse). Dont worry about Mind, unless you're using Holy Ray, then use both God/Power and Arm, but after a while, your characters stats will allow you to use it. In the end, you'll porbably end up with the same kind of mag as in the melee style.

Mixed Combat:
This style mixes everything else together (except 100% support, i hate it lol). using guns, melee and techs to take action in the team, and becaome a moer active attacker. Youll get moer last hits this way, im sure, thus more level ups. Partial tech spam to take place of slicers, and rifles, and ranged/melee weapoios in hand. Spread your materials evenly and work your materials accordingly (meaning, if you use a pow/dex mag, work on def/mind materials), dont forget your 30 lcuk materials and god luck for 100 LCK XP
Ideal Equip:
=Weapons:
Soul Banish / Madam's Parasol / Madam's Umbrella
L&K15 Combat / Charge Vulcan 50% hit
=Armor:
Sacred Cloth (if you arent using rico's glasses, the combo of poor def/evp isnt good here)
Aura Field
God/Arm
God/Body
Cure/Paralysis (if you use Arua)
God/Battle
=Shield
Ricos Glasses
Safety Heart (if youre using sacred cloth)

Mag Stats:
I went with a little known mag, Yaksa, using Dex > Mind > Pow. This works great, I love it. 20/58/62/60 but you can go other ways, as well. There are max stats 200 guids, and you can follow that, or just even spread your mag feeding to all of stats, 50/50/50/50. Even a pow/dex no mind mag would work here, because FOmarl's natural MST/TP is fine for the slight tech spam you'd be doing.

Hmm, that's all I can fathom at this early hour. As time goes on, and more people comment, I'll edit with things I probably missed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 11:53 ]</font>

Evil_Althena8
Sep 9, 2004, 01:50 AM
nice and informative...however, I thought C-sorc's cane only reduced TP usage by %10?

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2004, 01:59 AM
Hmm.

Striker of Chao is a little much on a FOmarl, 2x S/D range is almost never not enough. >_>;

Sorceror's Cane does NOT have a 30% TP cost reduction. The reduction is 10%, and a 20% boost to Gi-techs.

You mean Rico's Earrings for second best shield behind Safety Heart, but you wrote Rico's Glasses twice.

I also disagree very heavily with your unit suggestions, but that's just personal semantics. XP

Damn it, you make me want to do one of these for FOmars. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2004-09-09 00:08 ]</font>

Skorpius
Sep 9, 2004, 02:02 AM
Eh, yeah. It's like.. 1am, I'm sick, and I can hardly think straight lol. <.<;
::Edits::

Striker of Choia + Resta Merge = Support Whore.
Its amusing and kind of usefull on large maps of Seaside and Mountain, Falz, Ruins.
About the units, I'm just really offering what you could shoot for, instead of the basic God/Bodys and God/Legs or God/HPs, you know? It's obvious to go for these, so why list them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 00:06 ]</font>

Tycho
Sep 9, 2004, 02:09 AM
Heh. Yeah, I personally dislike chao stick and those units for Fomarl too. :/

TP revival is really bad by the way. It recovers like maybe 1 TP a second. -.-;

Also, I think the stats on a mag are more important than making it an EP1&2 evolution, so I'd rather stick with my 187 MIND clamp. If you really want, you could make the mag a lame Sonichi for the invincibility. It's almost almost Halloween. :/

But, I should say, it's a nice guide.

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2004, 02:10 AM
Obvious to us, sure, but not to John Q. RandomMcFucktard. >.> Never underestimate the stupidity of n00bs. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Skorpius
Sep 9, 2004, 02:47 AM
Noted.

Also, I would like to add, all mags should be Nidras http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif jk

Anyway, I'm done typing for this morning. Bed time!

EDIT: Ok, typos = killing me...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 00:47 ]</font>

Dhylec
Sep 9, 2004, 06:08 AM
dang, guides are poping up a lot lately.. fo seems to be a hot topic..
let the comments & revisions begins.. =]

Eihwaz
Sep 9, 2004, 10:38 AM
Wow, pretty useful guide. If I ever decide to forsake my non-existent BB RAmarl, I just might make a FOmarl! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Personally, I would rather use Madam's Umbrella than Madam's Parasol. It has slightly better ATP, acts as a free Striker of Chao (double S/D boost), and regens TP. Not to mention, Umbrella doesn't require making a Viridia character. >_>;

But still, great guide!

EDIT: And hot damn, when I get home from school today, I'm thinking of writting up a FOnewm guide. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-09-09 08:39 ]</font>

Skorpius
Sep 9, 2004, 01:35 PM
I forgot Umbrella and Parasol recovered TP (both do, right?). I'll add those >.>;

Skorpius
Sep 10, 2004, 12:05 AM
Sorry for bumping, but I really dont want to see these guides die. and i also want any more suggestions, if any? :/