PDA

View Full Version : Ian's Fun FOmar Tips.

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2004, 04:32 AM
I'm bored, and Skorpius has inspired me, drat him.

So, unless you're incredibly unobservant or have somehow never read a single thread I've posted in, you know that I love FOmars. They're my PSO life. I'll play another class for a bit occasionally, but I always go back to my FOmars. The class just does it for me. So I know a thing or six about it, which I will share with you. Prepare for an Infomercial on FOmars. :3 *puts on glaring suit covered in question marks and gets out the juicer and exercise equipment*

General FOmar thoughts:

FOmars are an odd class. Their stats are all over the place, but generally low. They possess the highest ATP of the Forces, the lowest ATA in the game, the third highest MST in the game, the second-worst DFP and HP in the game, bad DFP and EVP and odd technique boosts. They get no access to the useful female-only weapons, shields and armor that could cushion them. Their main strength lies in being versatile, and being challenging. Despite their common use by n00bs, they are not a n00b class, rather, they're a class better suited to experienced players who know what they're doing.

Should I make a FOmar?

Well, it depends, really. Are you experienced at the game? Are you willing to spend the time to hunt down the items he will need to be successful(Or do you already have them)? Are you willing to accept that you will never be 'uber' or have a truly 'easy' time? Can you deal with taking a lot of damage and having trouble hitting in some areas? In most cases, you'll be better off going with a HUnewearl or a RAmarl or a FOmarl or a properly specialized class. FOmars are not for everybody, not by a long shot. If you plan to take all your main characters through c-mode, you may wish to think twice about taking your FOmar through, as they are utterly unsuited to it. FOmars in cmode are the equivalents of RAmarls and HUnewearls - The most worthless, unwanted examples of their class.

Now let's cover some basics:

FOmars don't have the best stats, but they can do quite well. As an example, here is my melee-oriented L145 FOmar, with some mats used, a Guard Wave, Secret Gear, Soul Banish and 5/145/50/0 Rati equipped, with L30/29 S/D going:

ATP: 1721( 897)
DFP: 771( 234)
MST: 773( 773)
ATA: 207( 162)
EVP: 708( 489)

His LCK is in the 80s, because I use him as a melee character.

Now, this isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread, but as you can see, it's not horrible, either. Going the other way, boosting MST, he gets in the neighbourhood of 1000ish with virtually no other emphasis on MST. No, they're not awesome specialized stats. FOmar doesn't DO that.

FOmar can max with two units, see the guide stickied in Mag, Quest, Item and Section ID for methods.

Ok, so what to do with him? Well, you can play techs or weapons, and you can do different things in each:

Technique-based FOmars:

There's not that much to say here, if you can't figure out how to use a Force as a Force you have issues. I will note the following:

Support:
FOmar can be good at this, but it's going to be painful on your part. You can't use Marina's Bag and you have no native Resta/Anti boost. Wear a Resta Merge. Build your PB meter by standing in the thick of things drawing enemies to you and taking a beating. See my support Force guide for in-depth coverage of Support Whorcing.

Damage:
FOmar isn't really suited to this. He has decent tech boosts in the damage area, but his lower MST(Not much better than FOmarl's) keeps him from doing the real tech damage. Indeed, online a FOmar is often better off using weapons to deal damage - You do more for less TP usage with weapons than you will with techs. However, the best place to raise a FOmar until you get to online Ult levels is offline Ult, which you can easily hit around L40 if you're dedicated and twinked to hell. There your damage techs will be a huge asset as you level past the point of being OHKOed. Boost 'em as necessary - Merges, etc. However. I do NOT recommend Magical Piece or the 9-star Wands for FOmar if you plan on using your Gi techs with any frequency. The male Wand tech-casting animation is horrible, and while FOnewm can get away with being knocked around a bit, FOmar is hopeless. You want to get your techs out as fast as possible. If you're doing hand-me-downs, you might as well hunt down a Sorceror's Right Arm and get a Sorceror's Cane - It boosts Gi techs and provides a slight TP cost reduction. Also, the FOmar has a unique casting animation with Rods that is in my opinion excellent - Not much slower than casting bare-handed. Gibarta should be avoided in favour of Rabarta, but Gizonde's awesome speed and Gifoie's TP-saving ability to hit more than one wave(Especially in Ult Mines!) make them well worth using.

Weapons:

Again, a couple of things here.

Ranged:
This is what most so-called 'melee' FOmars are. The ones you see running around with their spiky hair and Devil's Wings and Charge Vulcans/L&K14 Combats. I disapprove of them, it's a horribly inefficient way to play. But if you MUST range:

Suggested equipment: High Hit % Mechs. Charge Vulcan or Berserk Vulcan for max damage, L&K14 Combats work wonders as well. Get a Holy Ray. Preferably with Hit, but Holy Ray naturally has very good ATA, so it's not as much of a priority. Get a good Slicer. Yes, a slicer, for when you have multiple enemies to deal with. Rainbow Baton, Red Slicer, Flight Fan, whatever.
You can get away with Sacred Cloth, since you're not generally going to be in the thick of things. God/Arm takes precedence over anything else if you need it to max your ATA. Cure/**** units, etc. Boost your ATP as much as possible, as well. You'll need it to do damage with your mechs. As a random note, the FOmar's mechgun casting animation is unique, and quite good.

Melee:
This is what most FOmars claim to be, and what very few actually are. There is a place for ranged weapons here, but it is not as your primary method of attack. This is where FOmar can really be an asset on a team and where the real fun and trouble lies: Close-range combat.

If you've used a HU, you know all about this: Sword/Partisan, whack the group o' Boomas, haul out the Double Saber-type and let that Belra have it, whip out the Handgun and shoot that Gee down. That's basically what you do with a proper melee FOmar... While simultaneously being a support Force and using your damage techniques to the team's tactical advantage. Anyone can whack a Bartle, but it takes skill to really be good at it. Since this is after all my favourite part of FOmarism, this will be the longest, most detailed section, of course. Besides, this is probably why you made the damned FOmar in the first place, all three of the other FOs are far better at standard FOing than FOmar is.

Ok!

First off, you can do this at low levels in low difficulties, and even online at low levels in low difficulties. I've got a L44 FOmar on BB who currently melees. Indeed, your low level equipment set for that is the same as your high level equipment set, varying only in the degree of the weapon. Low levels entail a Soul Eater, Double Saber and Varista/Bravace/similar Handgun, with whatever armor/units you can scrape together. High levels entail:

Soul Banish - This is your primary weapon. You most often encounter packs of Booma-type enemies in PSO, and the most efficient way to dispatch them is to attack them all at once.
S-Rank Twin - You're gonna have to go through c-mode. Deal with it. It'll make you a better player anyway. ...Just don't do it with your FOmar. You've got a HUcast/HUcaseal/RAcast/RAcaseal/FOnewearl/FOmarl tucked away SOMEWHERE, right? XP Use 'em. This is your single-part close-range boss and singular enemy/paired enemy/strong enemy weapon. Dragon? Use this. Couple of Barbles? Use this. Belra? Use this.
Red Handgun or Holy Ray: You're gonna need a firearm eventually. Mostly for things such as shooting down traps, attacking flying enemies/bosses and the like. An argument must be made here in favour of Slicers for things like packs of Canabins or Gees. A further argument must be made that you're not going to hit them without Hit % on the Slicer. Which brings us to Tactical Techniques.

Wow, you sure can kill those Gees faster and better with your Soul Banish than with your Handgun or that puny little Slicer. But damn it, they're flying! Well, assuming a RA isn't already shooting them down, this is where techs come into play:

Gizonde: Mericarols and friends, mostly. Also Shock attempts on mechanical nasties. Most useful on floor 6 of East Tower if you end up not going up to the Merikle with the rest of the team for whatever reason. Assign it a button, unequip your weapon, and spam this. Done properly and with a high enough level, the Meris won't be able to move.
Rabarta: General freezing. Also good for Gees, since they're weak to Barta-types. Gets them out of the sky while giving them a bit of damage.
Rafoie: Canabins don't like this. Too bad for them. Gets them down, damages them. Also used in conjunction with Trap Visions to take out traps in the absence of an android.

Realize, while we're at this, that there are areas such as Seabed and Tower where you're better off NOT meleeing. Partly because you will never hit things consistently there, and partly because things will own you there. You really don't want to tangle with an Ill Gill as any class, let alone a FOmar who can't even hit it. Use common sense. Fall back to support only when you have to. Needless to say, keep up support at all times. You are a fighter, but you are also a Force, and being a Force should come first - Support your team. Heal them. Use Jellen and Zalure at all times unless the enemy can't be J/Zed, use Shifta and Deband, keep up the Resta, Anti and revivals as needed. This not only makes your teammates happy to have you, it helps you out as well. When you can hit, though, do so - Zero averages around 250 on a normal hit, 500 on a heavy and 700 on a critical heavy.

You are in the middle of the action, so things like Sacred Cloth aren't all that recommended, even in Temple and Caves. It's not that hard to use a Cure/Paralysis or carry Antiparalysis/Sols, honestly. Stick with real armor - Guard Wave, Aura Field, Luminous Field, etc. Whatever matches your level and what you have available.

Slots are pretty well defined for a melee FOmar: You're going to want a God/Battle, without a doubt. God/Arms as necessary on top of your Mag's DEX to max your ATA. God/Power is good. A Cure/**** or God/HP is a good idea as well.

Your choice of shields is extremely limited. Basically, you can pick either a Secret Gear, an Attribute Wall or a Tripolic Shield. Attribute Wall and Secret Gear are both excellent low-level shields that will serve you well even into Ult - My FOmar still uses his Secret Gear, and he does just fine. Tripolic Shield is of course the best available choice. When and if Sonic Team ever releases Red Ring, of course, that will become the best choice, both for the excellent DFP/EVP and also for the 20 ATA boost. Resta Merge is not recommended - For one thing, you're probably already with the HUs, who are the ones most often in need of healing anyway, therefore, your natural range should be sufficient.

Mag should follow the usual lines - 5/145/50/0, 5/135/60/0 or 5/125/70/0. Note however that anything over 50 will become excessive in conjunction with a God/Arm around L145, and is thus questionable. Indeed, at L200, 50 DEX will max out a FOmar entirely. It depends on how you want to distribute your units, and what you feel like raising. Mag type is to personal taste. Most people will go for Sato or Nidra, I personally use a Rati.

As you can see, the FOmar can be used in a number of ways, and adapted to almost any situation. His major flaw is his poor ATA, but even that can be generally worked around. The most important thing to remember with a FOmar is to use him the way that's most fun for you, and to be patient with him. He WILL frustrate the hell out of you for a while, but if you stick with him, he'll give you a fun time. Just don't give him an ID with a great Seabed unless you've got a Demonic Fork and L30 Megid. XP

Anything you disagree with, have a question about, etc, post it. I'm listening.

Dhylec
Sep 9, 2004, 06:05 AM
more fo guide? ya teasing me with another fo topic? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SLON
Sep 9, 2004, 07:25 AM
I think the question of whether to use a Magical Piece or not is purely down to personal preference. It is slow in casting, but it makes up for it by doing more damage, using less TP per kill, and so saves Trifluids. Try this little cheat out - cast 3 or 4 Gifoies open handed, and then quickly equip a Magical Piece - you will do the Piece's damage even though you didn't cast with it, to monsters that are farther away!
Gees - it is much simpler to Megid these dangerous beasts than shoot them. You can often 1 - hit kill them. Its only a one on one attack, but if you find yourself isolated from your companions I would recommend it as a better option than Rabarta etc.

Jack
Sep 9, 2004, 08:03 AM
My 45% Hit Vulcan is what's kept me from making another Force type. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Asura_UK
Sep 9, 2004, 10:32 AM
Im the FOmar king. Got my Xbox version of PSO in January 2004 and been using a FOmar as my main character since then. Played him atleast 700 hours and got to LV 195 with him and done all the quests. If I want to use God units I can have everything maxed at once.

I equip:
STRIKER OF CHAO
SACRED CLOTH
SACRED GUARD

Im in progress of raising a mag with stats (40/80/20/60) which should nearly max everything for me without needing God units. Then I will fill up my slots with things to boost resistances and HP.

Just for the last 5 level ups I need about 20 million points so ill probably leave that for another time. Getting to 200 feels like you are trying to break some crazy world record. They were having a joke when they set the amount of experience you need.

Like Ian said, a good place to go is Seabed and use Megid alot to make it easy for you. I havent found a DEMONIC FORK but my Megid still works well there. Its best on the Sinow Zoa, Sinow Zele and Morfos. For the squids I use Gizonde or Rafoie.

If you are wondering, a FOmar has about 1400 HP when you get to my level (im just under 1400). You can boost them to above 1700 by using God/HP's.

rena-ko
Sep 9, 2004, 10:35 AM
nice work, should be a guide.

Gjl
Sep 9, 2004, 11:19 AM
Ah thanks for reminding me I had to kill my Bluefull FOmar and replace him with a lovely Yellowboze ID. Unfortunately I managed to kill a Shifta merge and a lvl 200 Nidra mag (5/125/50/20) in the process, hah http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif. Currently making a nice black Sato to replace it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

Does the Soul Banish even have enough ATA (plus the FOmars dreadful max ATA) to work reliably on Ult? Is meleeing possible in ult Ruins or even Seabeds?

Asura_UK
Sep 9, 2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah so long as your ATA and ATP are good you can use the Soul Banish on ULT. I used to. Probably isnt the best weapon for Seabed though. There's things like Deldepths and Morfos floating around, and Reco Boxes stuck on walls. You would be switching to guns or techniques alot. Soul Banish is more useful for EP1 I think, with big groups of ground enemies coming at you, whereas EP2 has a weird assortment of creatures that require different strategies to beat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2004-09-09 10:00 ]</font>

Skorpius
Sep 9, 2004, 01:59 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

"His LCK is in the 80s, because I use him as a melee character."

Make it 70 LCK, then you can boost with a God/Luck, still have 5 materials left, and use like.. God/Arm, God/Power.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 12:05 ]</font>

Tycho
Sep 9, 2004, 02:02 PM
Nice..
You did the supporting guide as well, someone should make guides on how to play the hu/ra's. xD I can't, despite having a Hu and a Ra in ult I don't know a thing about them. When I reached Sil Bob on my Racaseal in some team, the first thing I thought was "Cast Jellen and Zalure!" -_-;
I'm too Fo-ey.
You did teach me something new again though; I never payed much attention to casting time differences. All I ever noticed was my barehanded and Gifoie casting times are too long. I got more than twice your MST, but when it comes to knowledge, despite the fact you're playing the least Fo-ish Fo (gah, confusing), you're still my superior when it comes to knowledge about playing Fo's. ;o
As for c-mode, people choose those few classes, because they have the most potential in teamplay. I think for the same reasons people choose them for c-mode, they're good in a team in regular play too.

But don't mind me. I probably won't be using this guide (anywhere soon), you know my opinion about this class.

But I have to admit, it'd be interesting to play a class that has potential to melee, and at the same time is capable of learning all L30 techs. A lot of Fomars online look like weird lost monks (as noone seems to care about how their characters look), but the ones that have been put effort into at the time of creation, do indeed look like stylish bishounen. x_x;

Tycho
Sep 9, 2004, 02:08 PM
You posted in the meanwhile and I'm not feeling like using edit. o:

On 2004-09-09 11:59, Skorpius wrote:

Make it 70 LCK

Yeah... easier said than done. u_u;
This isn't as easy as replacing mags, think before you tell him to. :/

Besides, hunting a god ability in Phantasmal World #2 may be a better choice than using God/Luck. At least on NGC that is, for purplenum you could get one in 33 half runs on average. It's not that bad.

Evil_Althena8
Sep 9, 2004, 02:21 PM
On 2004-09-09 05:25, SLON wrote:
I think the question of whether to use a Magical Piece or not is purely down to personal preference. It is slow in casting, but it makes up for it by doing more damage, using less TP per kill, and so saves Trifluids. Try this little cheat out - cast 3 or 4 Gifoies open handed, and then quickly equip a Magical Piece - you will do the Piece's damage even though you didn't cast with it, to monsters that are farther away!
Gees - it is much simpler to Megid these dangerous beasts than shoot them. You can often 1 - hit kill them. Its only a one on one attack, but if you find yourself isolated from your companions I would recommend it as a better option than Rabarta etc.

that's an interesting tidbit. I used to hate Gifoie because I thought it was slow and horrible. That is until I got lvl 30 gifoie...now all I do in offline ult mines is spam gifoie, it works wonders I tell you!

Nai_Calus
Sep 9, 2004, 05:14 PM
L28 Gifoie+FOmar+Red Merge = Gilchiches never get to you.

That's a nice idea, Skorp, but I am NOT resetting my mat usage and techs so I can use shitty units I have no interest in hunting. n.n See, problem with doing that is that you've got too many units you can't get rid of. I've already carefully sat down and figured out my mat usage/units/mag in case I ever DO get to L200, and with my current usage I can indeed max. It will however take three units, but two of those are God/Body and God/Legs, which are easily disposable. Unfortunately, the third is God/Power...I could have done it the other way and had God/Mind, if only G/M wasn't a pile of crap... Stupid 40 MST instead of 50. >o But hey, I'll have my LCK maxed, my ATP maxed, my ATA maxed and my MST maxed when I get there, if I don't feel like using a Cure/unit, I can keep on the God/Body and God/Legs and still have room for my God/Battle. ...Plus, I've got 100 Power mats bugeted, which will help me in the short term. Sort of. XP By the time I use 'em all I'll be maxed on ATP and then some with my current mag. n.n; (Switching Power/Mind mat usage, 30 Power and then 103 Mind(Gotta use the spares) and a 5/95/50/50 Mag with God/Mind leaves me about 6 MST short of max. XP)

And as for Soul Banish having enough ATA, yes and no. :3 Seabed, not really, last I tried, though my ATA wasn't maxed yet then. Again, it's probably better to stick to support there. Ruins, yes. You'll get some misses, of course, but overall you should be just fine. I suppose I should note that having a MIND Mag in addition to the POW/DEX mag you'll be using as a melee FOmar is a good idea - You'll need to be able to learn your high-level support techs before you can use them, and if you do need to fall back on support, it will make the job easier.

Skorpius
Sep 10, 2004, 12:00 AM
On 2004-09-09 12:08, Tycho wrote:

Make it 70 LCK

Besides, hunting a god ability in Phantasmal World #2 may be a better choice than using God/Luck. At least on NGC that is, for purplenum you could get one in 33 half runs on average. It's not that bad.

I meant it as a suggestion for other FOmars. It was mentioned, in a tips guide, so the tip is to make melee FOmar LCK to be 80? No, a better tip is 70, God ability is only 20 to all, but melee FOmars dont need 2 ATA and 20 MST, so best to just do 15 ATA, 50 ATP, 30 LCK. I wasnt clear enough in my post, i apologize, but dont be an ass, tycho.

And, just to say:
Sacred Cloth
God/Power
God/Arm
God/Luck
God/Battle

No need for god/body, materials and D/J should be fine. You have enough units, and the best Cure/??? already built in. Just.. dont go into CCA without sols http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 22:04 ]</font>

Gjl
Sep 10, 2004, 01:59 AM
On 2004-09-09 22:00, Skorpius wrote:

On 2004-09-09 12:08, Tycho wrote:

Make it 70 LCK

I meant it as a suggestion for other FOmars. It was mentioned, in a tips guide, so the tip is to make melee FOmar LCK to be 80? No, a better tip is 70, God ability is only 20 to all, but melee FOmars dont need 2 ATA and 20 MST, so best to just do 15 ATA, 50 ATP, 30 LCK. I wasnt clear enough in my post, i apologize, but dont be an ass, tycho.

And, just to say:
Sacred Cloth
God/Power
God/Arm
God/Luck
God/Battle

No need for god/body, materials and D/J should be fine. You have enough units, and the best Cure/??? already built in. Just.. dont go into CCA without sols http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-09-09 22:04 ]</font>

umm the point is God/Ability gives you the most stats on any one unit. It's possible to max a FOmar with 1 God/Ability and 1 other unit while still having leftover materials. Much better to have 2 slots free, no (cure/freeze)? Also Sacred Cloth has crappy defense and requires a high level (144) before it can be equipped.

Nai_Calus
Sep 10, 2004, 02:04 AM
I wasn't using my FOmar's stats as a suggestion, I was using them as an example of a real-life FOmar and not some abstraction made up from stats at a random level with a hypothetical mat usage. You may have noticed where I recommended seeing the max-statting guides? And how I offered no advice whatsoever as to mat usage? ^_-

Skorpius
Sep 10, 2004, 03:49 AM
Actually, I didnt. I just skimmed the post. o.o