PDA

View Full Version : GC: Is it possible for Sonic Team to make new areas?

NeoLon
Sep 10, 2004, 11:17 PM
I know ST probably would never do this but I just wanted to know if it was possible for them to make new areas for EP 1&2. Would it be downloaded onto the memery card or would they be able to host new areas/monsters on their servers? What I'm trying to ask is making new PSO areas physically possible. I think it would be pretty cool if they expanded on the design on the Sil Dragon's lair and make a polar region to explore.

Ranger_Larry
Sep 10, 2004, 11:38 PM
This would be technically impossible on GC. Unless you wanted an area of such small size as to be useless.

Saiffy
Sep 10, 2004, 11:47 PM
No because the data isn't on the game disc

Evergea
Sep 10, 2004, 11:50 PM
On 2004-09-10 21:17, NeoLon wrote:
I know ST probably would never do this but I just wanted to know if it was possible for them to make new areas for EP 1&2. Would it be downloaded onto the memery card or would they be able to host new areas/monsters on their servers? What I'm trying to ask is making new PSO areas physically possible. I think it would be pretty cool if they expanded on the design on the Sil Dragon's lair and make a polar region to explore.

I don't know the exact size of PSO Episodes 1 and 2 for GC, but I'd imagine it would be pretty big. A single area and all the data encompassing it, would be larger than any GC memory card could hold. Download it into memory? That would take quite a long time to download onto GC. It could be done via downloading into memory, but why go through all the effort? That would be a waste of money on Sonic Team's end.

Oh and if Nintendo really wanted it to be feasible for games to be like this, they would have released games on a cartridge/memory card type medium with updatable Flash Rom.

BUT! What happens if in an online game a hacker comes along and corrupts your memory card? Possible to ruin an entire game?

It's not worth it.

Technically, different areas (room sections in areas such as forest) can be rearranged for quests I believe.

Asura_UK
Sep 11, 2004, 05:10 AM
They can with XBOX because it has a hard disk to download new content onto, and they would probably make you pay for something as big as a whole new level.

For Gamecube they need to issue the whole game again on a disc with all the new updates on it, like they have already done with PSO Plus. That version doesnt include many updates though.

I wish they would do entire new levels/maps myself. That would get me back on the game. Instead of 4 levels in each episode, I want about 10! Then you have something to play while you are levelling up to 200 instead of doing the same ones thousands of times over. They dont have to loose money by updating it. It is their choice if they want to charge for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2004-09-11 03:18 ]</font>

Tycho
Sep 11, 2004, 05:51 AM
Not possible?

How about towers, isn't that basically what you're talking about? The original non-plus version didn't have any data on that I think. Or was it implented, but inaccesable?

Asura_UK
Sep 11, 2004, 05:59 AM
Towers dont count. They are more or less the same room that keeps repeating and were used from existing game data.

When we say new level, we mean like Central Control Area or Seabed. Entire multi-sectioned levels with entire new monster set and proper bosses (not like the mini bosses in the towers).

rena-ko
Sep 11, 2004, 07:47 AM
every area is on disk from the beginning. yes, also tower. also the char design for that batman-esque ramar when you to RT.

the only thing sonic team can do (via very small quest script files) is to rearange area linkings, text, enemies and spawns/waves, and cutscenes.

technically its possible on xbox but hey. noone in japan cares for the xbox version and sonic team stated in the very beginning, that they will treat cube and box version equally (with reasonable delay).

shingo
Sep 11, 2004, 08:16 AM
man that would be nice that would they make like those monster from blueburst or a whole new idea but maybe thats why pso+ is dealyed LOL http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shingo on 2004-09-11 06:17 ]</font>

NeoLon
Sep 11, 2004, 08:42 AM
On 2004-09-11 06:16, shingo wrote:
man that would be nice that would they make like those monster from blueburst or a whole new idea but maybe thats why pso+ is dealyed LOL http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shingo on 2004-09-11 06:17 ]</font>

lol that would be awsome if it's true!

rena-ko
Sep 11, 2004, 09:01 AM
and isnt.

the delay has nothing to do with the content.
US ver of plus = JP ver of plus.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 11, 2004, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, Until Nintendo releases that microdrive (1x1x1 inch hard drive) that fits into that last slot on the bottom of the Gamecube, that just aint gonna happen. Only Xbox and Blue Burst will be able to handle that...and Xbox is really a random right now. Blue Burst is a guarantee.

Saiffy
Sep 11, 2004, 10:48 AM
On 2004-09-11 08:38, Jonathan_F wrote:
Unfortunately, Until Nintendo releases that microdrive (1x1x1 inch hard drive) that fits into that last slot on the bottom of the Gamecube, that just aint gonna happen. Only Xbox and Blue Burst will be able to handle that...and Xbox is really a random right now. Blue Burst is a guarantee.

Micro drive? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif I gotta do some research on that

goku4ever
Sep 11, 2004, 01:43 PM
I think hes being sarcastic...

Saiffy
Sep 11, 2004, 01:50 PM
On 2004-09-11 11:43, goku4ever wrote:
I think hes being sarcastic...

I see that now, I'm gullible though and it only takes 1 minute of searching to see if it's true or not http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Corey
Sep 11, 2004, 02:25 PM
Well, clearly stated seriousness, GC does have 1 useless slot right now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rena pretty much stated the whole thing, so there's not much more that can be done.
You can still see new weapons and items, due to the fact that no one (at least I think so ) has completely tested every item value on the disc.

Maps? I heard that Maddy had one variation of the tower that Sega servers don't have from Vengeance.

But the tower is, and was accessible before release.
You can access it offline through AR codes now...although I do not have the 1.1 copy of the disc
so I cannot see wether enemies were implented to the offline mode or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Corey on 2004-09-11 12:26 ]</font>

Luis
Sep 11, 2004, 09:02 PM
Sonic Team can do what they want BUT if you want something like a new area, item etc, you may need this

the new big size memory card for upload a Patch for play online (note everyone will need a patch for online play)

and dont even worth such a work for 8.95$ per month, they will get more money selling a brand new game without making a painfull patch code and asking everyone to get a big size memory for only the "patch"

Corey
Sep 12, 2004, 01:43 AM
On 2004-09-11 19:02, Luis wrote:
Sonic Team can do what they want BUT if you want something like a new area, item etc, you may need this

the new big size memory card for upload a Patch for play online (note everyone will need a patch for online play)

and dont even worth such a work for 8.95$ per month, they will get more money selling a brand new game without making a painfull patch code and asking everyone to get a big size memory for only the "patch"

No, patching GC cannot work like that.
It's the disc.
Memory card can't load that.
It can load scripts to offline etc however
IE, Download Quests

goku4ever
Sep 12, 2004, 03:28 AM
On 2004-09-11 12:25, Corey wrote:
You can access it offline through AR codes now...although I do not have the 1.1 copy of the disc
so I cannot see wether enemies were implented to the offline mode or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Corey on 2004-09-11 12:26 ]</font>

Gee thanks for telling me that now im gonna be searching for it all day seeming as im offline only...

Jack
Sep 12, 2004, 07:06 AM
On 2004-09-11 12:25, Corey wrote:
I heard that Maddy had one variation of the tower that Sega servers don't have from Vengeance.

You heard correctly. There's a Control Tower test quest which has access to all floors of the Control Tower, and the Seaside for some reason. The Control Tower has about the same amount of enemies as The West Tower, but with some variations. There's more Ill Gills, for example. The Seaside portion features Ul and Zol Gibbons, Dolmolms, Sinow Berills, and Gees.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 12, 2004, 09:56 AM
On 2004-09-11 03:10, Asura_UK wrote:
They can with XBOX because it has a hard disk to download new content onto, and they would probably make you pay for something as big as a whole new level.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2004-09-11 03:18 ]</font>

Just because the Xbox has a hard drive doesn't mean that ST can make new areas for the game. The data MUST be on the disk in order to even make an area playable.

anwserman
Sep 12, 2004, 11:50 AM
On 2004-09-12 07:56, Blue-Hawk wrote:

On 2004-09-11 03:10, Asura_UK wrote:

Just because the Xbox has a hard drive doesn't mean that ST can make new areas for the game. The data MUST be on the disk in order to even make an area playable.

I wouldn't necessairly agree with that.
They had a patch for PSOX that stops duping and fixes some other things - and it was saved to the HD. So, the game has some capability to read data from the HD and have it modify gameplay.

Now, if ST would make the effort to patch PSOX to allow such downloadable new areas to work (and create one) is beyond my expectations. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Asura_UK
Sep 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
Yes of course you can play content off the hard disk. Thats why I can download new maps for Unreal Championship. There is a gigantic patch for Ninja Gaiden that adds new enemies, AI, and camera angle controls. Like I said at the beginning, it is only Gamecube that needs a new version of the game to be released on disc, because it has no massive storage device to download updates to.

They can fix the all bugs and hacks in the XBOX game, as well as add new levels and features to it if they want to. With Xbox Live downloads, it is up to the developer if they want to charge you for the updates, or release them for free. I think the reason they are not creating any major updates for the GC/XBOX versions, are because they are more focused on replacing these old games with Phantasy Star Universe.

AndyPandy
Sep 14, 2004, 06:35 AM
Possible on XBOX because of the large hard drive, impossible on Gamecube because it has no hard drive.

I cant imagine it happening to be honest, I'm sure all ST's time will now be spent on PSO Universe and PSO BB?

Asura_UK
Sep 14, 2004, 07:48 AM
Same as what I just said but shorter.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 14, 2004, 07:59 AM
Actually I wasn't being sarcastic.

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/binary/com.epicentric.contentmanagement.servlet.ContentDe liveryServlet/hgst/products/images/4gb-md-image.jpg

All they need to do is build a circuit to connect the drive to the port and then build the encosure around it.

Asura_UK
Sep 14, 2004, 08:07 AM
Well yeah they can make tiny tiny hard disks now. Thats like the ones they have in iPod mini.

But has Nintendo actually said they might use a Hard Disk in Gamecube? I dont think they need one. It is too late to introduce an upgrade like this.

It is like with N64 when they released the Xpansion Pak (4MB RAM), and the 64DD (Magnetic Disk Drive). Not alot of people bought them because you can already play most games without.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2004-09-14 06:10 ]</font>

Corey
Sep 14, 2004, 04:04 PM
Um, DD was released when the N64 was pretty much DEAD so... ;p

What Jonathan is saying could indeed work, but are you saying there is one already?
Because Nintendo hasn't even leaked any info, and I havent even heard some rumors at all...

Ketchup345
Sep 14, 2004, 04:08 PM
On 2004-09-14 14:04, Corey wrote:

What Jonathan is saying could indeed work, but are you saying there is one already?
Because Nintendo hasn't even leaked any info, and I havent even heard some rumors at all...

Not Nintendo, but other companies; specifically IBM according to Planetnintendo.

Corey
Sep 14, 2004, 04:11 PM
On 2004-09-14 14:08, Ketchup345 wrote:

Not Nintendo, but other companies; specifically IBM according to Planetnintendo.

For the Nintendo GC itself?
Intresting...I'll have to check into that.

Asura_UK
Sep 14, 2004, 04:31 PM

Na it didnt come out that late. Games were still being made for N64 years after DD failed. I think it was not successful because people dont like to buy an expensive upgrade on top of paying for the actual console. I thought it was ace though, I would have bought one if it was released outside Japan. I would prefer to upgrade my consoles rather than buying new ones. Its like when Sega released the 32X add on for Mega Drive. By the time I had enough money for one, they withdrew it from the shop because they were so unpopular. Bah! I wanted Virtua Fighter and Chaotix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Asura_UK on 2004-09-14 15:09 ]</font>

Corey
Sep 14, 2004, 04:36 PM
On 2004-09-14 14:31, Asura_UK wrote:

Na it didnt come out that late. Games where still being made for N64 years after DD failed. I think it was not successful because people dont like to buy an expensive upgrade on top of paying for the actual console. I thought it was ace though, I would have bought one if it was released outside Japan. I would prefer to upgrade my consoles rather than buying new ones. Its like when Sega released the 32X add on for Mega Drive. By the time I had enough money for one, they withdrew it from the shop because they were so unpopular. Bah! I wanted Virtua Fighter and Chaotix.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif
I wish I could have a English DD for F zero X
/endofftopicness

Asura_UK
Sep 14, 2004, 05:23 PM
That's how a conversation goes, you start getting further from the original question.

To be on topic there would have to be only 1 reply to each topic, or many replies that keep answering the same original question over and over.