PDA

View Full Version : A look back at PSO v1 and V2, a.k.a. I quit

Evergea
Sep 15, 2004, 09:35 PM
I've had my DC since October 2000, PSOv1 since January 4, 2003, and PSOv2 since May 31, 2003. Yeah, I have the dates memorized, awesome dates, so why shouldn't they be? As of tonight though, I powered down my DC for the last time after fiddling with a v1 character and realizing I had overwrote my v2 character with the v1 character, yeah, I was going to give away my items and delete the character anyway.

I do believe I've done two stupid things, countless deletions of the same characters (I always recreated them, hehe) intentional and unintentional, and in my first two months, trading a Soul Banish for a Double Saber.

I've been lucky, I've only ever suffered rsod/fsod and the usual hacker pranks. The one time someone tried to hack me, I dced and they never got to me.

My favorite moment had to be a late night battle with three friends I really trusted. We were all close to the same level, had quite a bit of loot, and we all knew each other quite well. Yes, it was in rule one with my Heaven Punisher's special smiting them all.

I tip my hat to the DC and PSO series on it, I did have a bunch of good times, if not part of my life sucked into it. Now they are powered down and I look forward to PSO+.

In the meantime, maybe, just maybe I'll get a social life.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Evergea on 2004-09-15 19:36 ]</font>

xjustsumloser
Sep 15, 2004, 09:55 PM
Yea I just pretty much stick with my main character for DC PSO now. i got rid of all the others, but i occasionally make a new cmode character for some more sranks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I dont play DC PSOv2 nearly as much as I used to. But hey, its free online PSO. So i dont feel completely shut out from the world while i play GCPSO.

Rain_1
Sep 16, 2004, 12:54 AM
I might have some problem
because i CAN'T STOP PLAYING THE DAMN GAME EVER...

i tried, more than once... but i just can't...

I got it when version 1 came out... version 2 came, i had no means of paying for the hunters license... so what? i kept playing ver1... i player ver1 till the servers were disconnected (and also, on ver1, i tried to stop playing it once.... ahh, my foolishness)...

Ok, se the servers were almost dead, filled with annoying dupers and none of my friends were playing again... so i decided to stop...
And then came pso pc... and the little thing to play the full version on the trial server... oh god, why... PSO FEVER was back on.. bunch of my friends returned, and we were all playing legitmaly in it..
And then the massive amounts of hacking returned... totally killed the experience of playing on open games... but i was still there.. and so were my friends.... and then we all got bored of it again (you had to reconnect every 60 minutes)....

So, again, i stopped playing PSO... and the servers died.. and i though to myself: ok.. now that's it.. pso is dead for me.. i'm not paying for gamecube (i didn't even have a gamecube back then)....

BOOM
somebody creates a pc/dc private server... oh god it was all back again... all friends, all playing, endless forest to df runs in one sitting... more and more....

And then.. hacking started to get way too much annoying for me (you see, i'm the kind of player that, if i see somebody using a item you can't get, i actually stop playing and start arguing with them... yes, i know it's pointless.. but it's just stronger than me).... friends were stopping playing too.... and o stopped playing pso again....

BOOM
PSO:BB comes along... but it's all in jap! Oh, who cares, i know that back and forward, i'll just download and play... and so did most of my friends... and we played it insanely amounts of time...
But the quest system is a pain in the ass, i wanted to see the new areas, not forest/caves/mines/ruins all over again about 8 million times each... specially with the japanese thing, where i had to guess which weapon i was changing into....
so... once again... i left the pso world...

....a friend that i didn't help back then when pso private server became a reality (i did tell him, but it was buggy in the begining, so he didn't really care aboiut that) noticed the server differences and wanted to play, so i had to get all the stuff for him... i even bought a copy of psov2 on ebay and gave to him as a gift (as i belive pso is one of the best "mmorpg" - not really - games i've ever seen).... yes, i joined now and then to help him out, but the fever wasn't back... i had also stopped reading pso-world, which kinda drove me totally away from pso...

until the last E3 came to reveal... PSU... countles hours looking for information reading all kidns of threads about it and where's the info and checking the official website daily to see if the direct feed video was uploaded.... and when those info stopped coming... more pso-world forum reading...

And now here i am... with the PSO FEVER just like i had in all those other times.. better times, indeed, since i can't find one fricking soul that's not hacked... thus, i want to play, but don't have people to play with... reading the pso-world forums, in order to do something pso related... again... and again...

Oh.. i never said anything, but i do got a gamecube and pso for it... the cheating online kinda prevents me from paying to play online..... if only pso:bb had and english option....

Mystil
Sep 16, 2004, 07:51 AM
Well I've had my ver1 copy since Feb 14 2001... Though it was nothing but hell, the GC version will never fill me with the happiness that ver1 did. I powered down my DC for the last time, 2 years ago.

PStar2cadet
Sep 17, 2004, 12:03 PM
Well,i have the DC PSO's,even though i play the GC ones more often than not.But i still use my DC alot...I have Sega Smashpack,Zombie Revenge,Marvel VS Capcom 2 and Record of Lodoss War for it.
But then,i also get alot of use out of my NES,SNES and other old systems yet,too.i keep having fun with my older systems,so i don't see a reason to ever power them down forever.I value the fun i have with them alot.

kazuma56
Sep 17, 2004, 07:53 PM
I wish my DC still worked, but because most of the games I have bought in the last year have been pirated, I don't think I know of a place where the sell DC's that are close to launch date, I still have many games to complete like Headhunter, Ikaruga and various other english and jp games.
- -
edit: remember, it's either jp or japanese & not anything else

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2004-09-17 18:37 ]</font>

Evergea
Sep 17, 2004, 09:38 PM
On 2004-09-17 10:03, PStar2cadet wrote:
Well,i have the DC PSO's,even though i play the GC ones more often than not.But i still use my DC alot...I have Sega Smashpack,Zombie Revenge,Marvel VS Capcom 2 and Record of Lodoss War for it.
But then,i also get alot of use out of my NES,SNES and other old systems yet,too.i keep having fun with my older systems,so i don't see a reason to ever power them down forever.I value the fun i have with them alot.

I'm mostly powering down the DC because I haven't played any game on it besides PSOv1 and v2 for the last three or so months. Now that I'm not playing PSO on DC anymore, I can safely put it away. Another reason to put it away is much of the Dreamcast loot I have takes up a lot of space. I don't have that much room in my room for a console I rarely play. Even the SNES, a system I rented video games on up until last year, got put away since it was taking up room.

PStar2cadet
Sep 21, 2004, 05:42 PM
ah,yesh...the SNES.Mine's always out,because ihave so many games i play for it alot.
On the japan side,i have 9 Sailor Moon games for it, 4 Ranma 1/2 games,3 Kunio(River City Ransom)games for it,2 Gundam games and Rockman and Forte(Megaman and Bass).
On the usa side,i have Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle,Castlevania Dracula X,Super Castlevania 4, TMNT 4,Megaman X 1-3,Inspector Gadget,Adv of Batman and Robin,Final Fight 1-3.
I also have the Super Gameboy adaptor for it,so i play stuff Like Castlevania Legends on it,and some other gameboy games,and i play my japanese gameboy games on it,too,since Nintendo never did a lockout on any of the gameboy stuff,so i use SGB to play with the colors on my gameboy Sailor Moon,Sailor Moon R and Ranma 1/2 Netsuretsu Kakutouhen.
Suffice it to say,i play my SNES alot.
Another thing i like about the DC though,is on...i think it's PSO Ver.2,but i could be wrong,maybe it's Ver.1....in Unsealed Door,if youkeep Mome's hpo up,he actually helps you fight De Rol Lie,while on the cube,he fakes dead!So at times i play the DC PSO to have Mome help me...lol...
But i also play Lodoss War,Zombie Revenge and Sega Smashpack alot.

Cell132
Sep 23, 2004, 12:10 PM
Well, it is sad to see you leave, but it's also nice to see you move on to other things. Sometimes, MMORPGs have this hold on you that makes it so you don't want to log out of the game, taking up all of your time. ^-^ I think it was wise of you to recognize the addiction and stop it so you could move on to bigger and better things. But I do hope that someday, you can also balance PSO with your social life so we can play online together sometime. (On a different version. I haven't been able to play on the DC in a couple years)