PDA

View Full Version : UK NTL broadband connection

kizzycrew
Sep 16, 2004, 09:44 AM
After finding a BBA for the bargain price of ?25, i thought yay, PSO3 time!

I connected my big NTL box upto my gamecube with the cable I got with the NTL box.

It won't let me connect to get a hunters license. Also, I tried that switching it off thing, and that didn't work either.

I don't have a router. PLEASE don't say I have to call NTL, they suck.

Is there anything im missing out on the settings? I left all the DNS etc to automatic.

Cheers guys, much appreciated!

EDIT - Gah, lock this. I tried it again and it worked. Nevermind that I tried it at least 5 times before I posted this. Oh well. Thx anyway.

~~kie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kizzycrew on 2004-09-16 08:32 ]</font>

hyperacute
Sep 17, 2004, 07:27 AM
Had exactly the same problem with NTL and ended up calling their "helpdesk" people (the dubious pleasure of being on hold for 25 minutes listening to a recorded drone tell me that Broadband Medic is the new black).

Basically, avoiding lots of jargon there's no real way of directly connecting your GC to their network as every piece of hardware has to be registered with them and there's no utility on the GC to do this. And no, even if you supply them with the broadband adaptor MAC address, they won't do it for you.

Simple solution is to get a router which you can pick up for around £30 (If I remember, Amazon is cheap and scan.co.uk is usually pretty good), plug PC and GC in, switch on PC and use the installation disk NTL sent you to register the router with them, switch the whole lot off again (including router), power back up and away you go. Has the addded advantage that you can check email or whatever whilst playing PSO...

Hope this is useful

hyperacute
Sep 17, 2004, 07:29 AM
You managed to connect without router? Mine point blank refused, oh well, topic closed,...

kizzycrew
Oct 9, 2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it turned out that the hole for my ethernet cable is super loose. If i stamp on the floor, or drop something, I DC, which isnt too nice.

Wouldn't let you do it though? That's odd. I need to get a router anyway, for my laptop downstairs, hehe.

Thanks anyways!

~~kie