PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, I'm not a stoner. I have a future.

Saiffy
Sep 16, 2004, 07:48 PM
Yes, a rant on drugs and peer pressure. Yippee

Anyways here's the story, it's lunchtime and most of the time me and my friends just walk to Subway and Max(Convnience store) which are both like 2 blocks away from the school. Today was different. We decided not to and went ontop of the hill which is right across the street from the school. I knew when I went up there kids would smoke weed, cigarettes, etc.(Which is stupid place to do it if you think about it) I know it was a stupid choice going up there, but I did and atleast two of my good, better friends agreed and we didn't even go near the stoner types. Anyways we were minding our own business talking when someone I knew and used to be friends with just ran by us and rolled down the hill kinda stupidlly(I knew he was 'tripping') and while two other people watched him they came up to us and said: "Yo kiddies. Wanna try some weed?" I just respond. "No thanks, I'd rather enjoy life and get a future." So they said: "Okay, cool. How bout a ciggarette then?" "No! I don't wanna get lung cancer either."

At that point they told us to 'chill' and 'calm down' like WE did something stupid and bad. So me and my two friends left and went to Subway. Fuck those other so called 'friends' they can go puke their lungs out on someone else or go roll down a hill and break their necks.

Blah, I'm no good at rants.

KaFKa
Sep 16, 2004, 07:57 PM
okay, you did nothing wrong even though you acted like a complete fucktard, and insulted them on something that is their favoite pasttime. oh no, you were completely justified in acting like an asshole. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

you really dont know alot about that minority if you think everyone that smokes weed is going to be a no-life druggie in their future.

actually, those guys were pretty laid back if you ask me. they offered the stuff to you kindly, and you blew up in their faces. think about it from someone else's point of view, before you go on a tanget like this.

Sagasu
Sep 16, 2004, 08:00 PM
You can refuse,

But don't pass judgement.

dude3282
Sep 16, 2004, 08:30 PM
I think that this has a lot to do with society and the whole "say no to drugs" thing. Most teens have self-esteem problems and they don't know how to say no, so these drug-free progams in elementary and middle school arm them with the tools to refuse. In order for the wimps to resist, they teach them to say no in a very confident, albeit rude manner.

Being respectful is a good thing, but I'd say his head was in the right place. Personally, I think the whole idea behind getting stoned is stupid, and I pity people who screw around with drugs. But to each his own, live and let live.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dude3282 on 2004-09-16 18:32 ]</font>

KaFKa
Sep 16, 2004, 08:41 PM
On 2004-09-16 18:30, dude3282 wrote:
Personally, I think the whole idea behind getting stoned is stupid, and I pity people who screw around with drugs.

too bad that logic of yours can be turned around and used against gamers, athletes, etc.

i see now that my attempt of getting away from inorant people is futile. -_-

dude3282
Sep 16, 2004, 08:46 PM
On 2004-09-16 18:41, KaFKa wrote:

Personally, I think the whole idea behind getting stoned is stupid, and I pity people who screw around with drugs.

too bad that logic of yours can be turned around and used against gamers, athletes, etc.

Tell me how I'm ignorant. Unless that typo was for some other word.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dude3282 on 2004-09-16 18:47 ]</font>

Sagasu
Sep 16, 2004, 08:54 PM
Take your petty arguement elsewhere.

We've given our opinions on the situation, there no reason to take out disagreements upon one another.

KaFKa
Sep 16, 2004, 08:57 PM
"why the fuck do you play that stupid online game? what, do you have no life or something? what the fuck is the point of the game? its stupid, it has no impact on the real world, why do you play it? i pity people that have to play videogames to feel good."

simply, ask yourself why you like to do anything, and your answer is going to be the same as those "no future stoners." and what is that answer? 'because i want to.'

good day. -_-

dude3282
Sep 16, 2004, 09:35 PM
Okay, here we go then.

--------------------------------

Say someone's favorite pastime is gaming.

Result: lots of time spent gaming, lack of "productivity", possibilities for carpal tunnel/slight hand injury, vision problems, or in rare cases severe addiction leading to weeklong gaming marathons causing you to lose your job, and perhaps affect your marriage.

Usual scenario: lots of time spent gaming, perhaps eating time that could be used for other things.

Why do we do it: because it's fun. We enjoy feeling skilled at something; we enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. Maybe we need an outlet to relieve stress. It's something that we enjoy doing.

Let's say someone enjoys getting high regularly. Again, different people are affected differently. Some people grow up and have no problem with smoking a bit here and there, with no major health problems. I understand that. But there is significant potential for some serious problems. You get stoned regularly, and you start needing more to get your buzz. You keep going farther and farther, and one fateful day, you OD. Nice pastime.

You may argue "Pot isn't a gateway drug, and it's harmless - learn what you're talking about." It lowers your reaction time, screws with your brain and it can cause cancer just like cigarette smoke can. And it may be true that many people are fine with a few joints here and there and nothing more, you can't tell what you're predisposed to until you try it. And by then, you're hooked, and withdrawal sucks.

I don't believe in altering my mental state with potentially harmful chemicals for fun. I can feel good without getting stoned, and I'd rather not take the risk. Millions of people (teens especially) die on the road, and I can try my hardest to be safe, but there's not much I can do about other drivers. I can stay in control of my body and not take things that can mess with my ability to make good decisions.

I'm a big fan of the motto "Live and let live." If you like getting stoned, go ahead. But I have seen too many families affected by drugs and alcohol. I know what it can lead to - people with an oxygen tank by their side taking another drag on a coffin nail, sitting in a wheelchair outside the intensive care unit. It's not worth the risk. I'll take my chances with my other interests.

Aredhel
Sep 16, 2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I think Kafka's pretty much got this thread owned. It was somewhat out of line for you to explode on that person like that, but just as Dude mentioned, kids of this generation have been so conditioned (read: brainwashed) at an early age to say "NO!" to drugs that it's truly no real surprise that you reacted the way you did.

The measure of a drug is not limited to substances that alter your consciousness biologically. As such, a drug can truly be anything, really - chocolate, video games, VCR cleaner, alcohol, etc... It's the dose that makes the poison - too much of anything is bad for you. Destructive habits have actually been proven to, at a certain magnitude, "hard-wire" synaptic relays in your brain to easier duplicate experienced habits that induced a specific feeling (sorta like cookies on your computer). Thus, the more you do something, the easier it becomes to bcome physically and emotionally addictive to that specific activity.

Though it's probably best that you did say no, consider how self-righteous you are in shunning anyone who ever even touches drugs. Just try to critically think about things a little more and you will be fine. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 16, 2004, 10:17 PM
I drink. Why? Because it tastes good and I like the little sensations that come with it.

I don't smoke. Why? Because I don't like the scent, and believe it'll taste the same too.

I game. Why? Because it's fun, and a good escape from reality.

I surf the net. Why? Because there's stuff I'm interested in, and I want to check them out.

All the above, with moderation, can bring great happiness. All of the above, when abused, will ruin your life. If I feel like going into weed, or heroin, or fuckin' morphine, I will do it, and those who want to blast me for it can go fuck themselves!

KaFKa
Sep 16, 2004, 10:28 PM
On 2004-09-16 19:35, dude3282 wrote:
Okay, here we go then.

yay, lets abandon the point i made and argue many others instead, joy.

Say someone's favorite pastime is gaming.

Result: lots of time spent gaming, lack of "productivity", possibilities for carpal tunnel/slight hand injury, vision problems, or in rare cases severe addiction leading to weeklong gaming marathons causing you to lose your job, and perhaps affect your marriage.

Usual scenario: lots of time spent gaming, perhaps eating time that could be used for other things.

Why do we do it: because it's fun. We enjoy feeling skilled at something; we enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. Maybe we need an outlet to relieve stress. It's something that we enjoy doing.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Let's say someone enjoys getting high regularly. there is significant potential for some serious problems. You get stoned regularly, and you start needing more to get your buzz. You keep going farther and farther, and one fateful day, you OD. Nice pastime.

thats odd. because 75% of the people i know smoke weed, and yet every single one of them are able to get high off half a joint. stop getting your information from the radical websites, please.

You may argue "Pot isn't a gateway drug, and it's harmless - learn what you're talking about."

was this a direct copy&paste? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif weed can be a gateway drug, but then again, you can just play one game of (example) counterstrike. now you are hooked, and want to 'get better' at it, while blowing off other things that you would normally otherwise do. next tanget.

It lowers your reaction time, screws with your brain and it can cause cancer just like cigarette smoke can.

lowered reation time: do you know why it does this? its because your brain isnt slowed, its because your brain is considering things it normally wouldnt be, and therefore is 'beating around the bush' when it comes to decision time.

screws with the brain: some of the most intelligent coversations ive ever had was with people that were stoned off their asses. you only think it screws with your brain because afterwards you're left with a down and usually dont remember much past it felt good.

cause cancer: anything you inhale past oxygen can cause lung cancer. i dont see you going anal about people living in the city inhaling that evil carbon dioxide/monoxide.

And it may be true that many people are fine with a few joints here and there and nothing more, you can't tell what you're predisposed to until you try it. And by then, you're hooked, and withdrawal sucks.

this is a sad statement. not only because its filled with ignorance, but because i saw the exact same thing on one of those "truth" posters that are getting popular.

honestly, if someone is weak-minded enough to not moderate themselves, then they didnt have much of a future to begin with. fucking sheep.

I don't believe in altering my mental state with potentially harmful chemicals for fun. I can feel good without getting stoned, and I'd rather not take the risk.

good for you, now stop pushing your beliefs on other people.

Millions of people (teens especially) die on the road, and I can try my hardest to be safe, but there's not much I can do about other drivers. I can stay in control of my body and not take things that can mess with my ability to make good decisions.

get your own fucking arguments and mind of you have to cpoy&paste this little throwback to the 50's mindset.

I'm a big fan of the motto "Live and let live." If you like getting stoned, go ahead. But I have seen too many families affected by drugs and alcohol. I know what it can lead to - people with an oxygen tank by their side taking another drag on a coffin nail, sitting in a wheelchair outside the intensive care unit. It's not worth the risk. I'll take my chances with my other interests.

i really shouldnt even respond to that, since its just more sheepish rhetoric.

good day. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_sheep.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 16, 2004, 10:57 PM
Maxim Martin speaks about pot:

"I always hear of drunk people destroying other vehicles on the road, but had you guys ever heard of someone who got into an accident because he smokes pot? Come on, pot smokers are easy to spot on the road - they're the only ones who drive on the highway at 30 MPH!"

Aredhel
Sep 16, 2004, 11:59 PM
On 2004-09-16 20:57, KodiaX987 wrote:
Maxim Martin speaks about pot:

"I always hear of drunk people destroying other vehicles on the road, but had you guys ever heard of someone who got into an accident because he smokes pot? Come on, pot smokers are easy to spot on the road - they're the only ones who drive on the highway at 30 MPH!"

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Armok
Sep 17, 2004, 11:48 AM
I've had a real good time on drugs. I dont commit crimes and have a university degree. I know many people who are just the same.

Although I dont do them that often anymore.

Weed is none addictive and will not ruin your life in moderation (although lots isnt advised).

Armok
Sep 17, 2004, 11:51 AM
Oh and offtopic Resident evil is designed to be played while stoned at night in a house alone for full terror paraniod effects. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

space_butler
Sep 17, 2004, 11:55 AM
a friend of mine went into his re exam stoned and managed an a grade, does that sound like a bad thing?

Deathscythealpha
Sep 17, 2004, 01:41 PM
Well, you stuck up for what you believed in, which was a good move, but i think you could have been polite about it. From the way i read it they didnt seem to be forcing it onto you, just asking if you wanted some. A polite no could have done the same job as what you said. Now if they kept pushing you after that then you can get narky.

And i think its a little untrue to say those who smoke pot end up as loosers. I know quite a few people who like the occasional spliff and are still doing good things with their life. There are some who do waste their life's however and do stupid thinks on pot...

I don't smoke pot myself by the way. Ive got my Grolsch to help alter my state of mind. But i dont condone anyone who smokes pot themselves.

Rainbowlemon
Sep 19, 2004, 02:14 PM
On 2004-09-16 20:28, KaFKa wrote:
lowered reation time: do you know why it does this? its because your brain isnt slowed, its because your brain is considering things it normally wouldnt be, and therefore is 'beating around the bush' when it comes to decision time.

For the record, I believe that lowered reaction time is also due to the "relaxation" (reduced chemical interactions) of the synapses in certain areas of the brain.

I don't do drugs myself, but in my honest opinion, I would rather weed were legal rather than tobacco, as tobacco is in fact more fatal long term.

DarthFomar
Sep 21, 2004, 07:23 AM
On 2004-09-16 18:41, KaFKa wrote:

Too bad getting stoned isn't constructive...cuz then your point would be valid. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course gaming really isn't all that constructive either, unless it's part of your career (i.e. game design, testing). Of course that's a tale for another time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Either way, the only thing getting stoned will do for you is:
a) give you a buzz
b) get you addicted
c) cause domestic problems
d) get you in serious trouble with the law

My half-brother was a stoner. He got addicted. He was looked down upon. He was arrested several times. And now he has a permanent juvenile and adolesent record.

And I've known plenty of stoners, friends, and relatives that've had similar experiences.

I'm not some kind of anti-drug freak...but doing drugs doesn't come without it's problems. It's a very real thing with serious consequences. Sure some people may get away with a lot of drug related occurences...but it will catch up to them eventually.

I hope to god I don't have to hear some kind of lame lecture after I post this either *no offense*. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-09-21 05:50 ]</font>

KaFKa
Sep 21, 2004, 08:06 AM
darth, youre telling me that i dont know what im tlaking about? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

seriously, you keep taking a counterpoint against me in almost every thread i participate in, and then leave with a 'holier than thou' attitude when you get proven wrong. knock it off.

DarthFomar
Sep 21, 2004, 08:11 AM
On 2004-09-21 06:06, KaFKa wrote:
darth, youre telling me that i dont know what im tlaking about? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

seriously, you keep taking a counterpoint against me in almost every thread i participate in, and then leave with a 'holier than thou' attitude when you get proven wrong. knock it off.

What are you talking about?

I was merely stating a point.

And I didn't say "you don't know what you're talking about". I was just trying to say that it's not all the fun and games that people make it out to be. Simple put, no offense implied.

And sorry but the only other thread I remember me being in another conversation with you is that one in FKL about the "hurricane".

'Holier than thou'? Proven wrong? What discussion did we take part in where I was "proven wrong"? You must have me mistaken for someone else. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-09-21 06:22 ]</font>

space_butler
Sep 21, 2004, 12:42 PM
cannabis has been sientificly proven to help sufferers of something like multiple sclorosis (i cant remember exactly) and from the aamount of stoners i know whove given up, it cant be very addictive now can it?

Guile
Sep 21, 2004, 05:28 PM
So if you smoke cigarettes you die of cancer no matter what, and if you smoke weed your future ends?It's okay not to smoke or do drugs but if you haven't been doing it for years how do you know how you will end up?

KodiaX987
Sep 21, 2004, 06:44 PM
Bob Cashflow talks about smoking:

"I hate it when people ram that smoking bullshit into your face. HEY! Why the hell should you tell us that you have 75% chance of dying from the smoker's cancer WHEN YOU HAVE 100% CHANCE OF DYING!!!"

digigram
Sep 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
Let's say someone enjoys getting high regularly. Again, different people are affected differently. Some people grow up and have no problem with smoking a bit here and there, with no major health problems. I understand that. But there is significant potential for some serious problems. You get stoned regularly, and you start needing more to get your buzz. You keep going farther and farther, and one fateful day, you OD. Nice pastime.

HAHHAHAHHAH . you obviously know nothing about doing any form of substance short of heroin, where tolerance isn't really an issue.

"hey kafka, wanna go smoke some weed and OD with me.."

If someone fucks up their life because they can't keep their own obsessions under control, it's their own fault.

"There has never been a documented death as the result of ingesting marijuana. It is physically impossible to overdose from marijuana."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-09-24 08:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-09-24 09:34 ]</font>

opaopajr
Sep 25, 2004, 04:16 AM
and here i thought education was being offered to the children. i see it was really *mis*information. alas, the state of this modern age, i tell you.

essentially, everyone had to face this choice of 'to do or not to do' but many others handled it with CLASS. but obviously this ranter here thought he was above and beyond that and can act like a crass jerk in response (because 'everyone in authority sanctions my viewpoint!'). 'tis not a cool thing you did. viewpoint or not, you needn't have reacted like that to them, you were not being forced in direct danger. *tsk, tsk*