PDA

View Full Version : Worth Dying For

AUTO_
Sep 19, 2004, 11:31 PM
Just wanted to know what you think is a valid cause/reason to die for.

Do tell, do tell.

Squall179
Sep 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
Most extreme example:
Saving the universe from utter destruction, including the total elimination of EVERYTHING

Nonapocolips situation:
Diying for someone you love, in order to save them

Solstis
Sep 19, 2004, 11:58 PM
On 2004-09-19 21:52, Squall179 wrote:
Most extreme example:
Saving the universe from utter destruction, including the total elimination of EVERYTHING

Nonapocolips situation:

Not like anyone would notice if everything was destroyed. Think about it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I probably would die for someone I love... :/

Sagasu
Sep 20, 2004, 12:18 AM
Good question..

Stranger - no

Friends - no

Family - no

Lover - no

I suppose I wouldn't die for someone, maybe something..

Perhaps Salvation?

Dangerous55
Sep 20, 2004, 12:23 AM
Overall, I would say justice. Say England is invaded for some reason by a tyranical regime from somewhere. I feel I should fight with them for justice. I will say more lata, cause I have 2 tests tommorow...

DarthFomar
Sep 20, 2004, 01:17 AM
Most extreme example:

Nonapocolips situation:

That right there pretty much sums it all up. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Honor is also another good one. But I won't get into that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Aredhel
Sep 20, 2004, 09:32 AM
I would die for a select few individuals - I would not die for any mere idea or religion, save for the memory of myself. In other words, I would gladly sacrifice mtyself in this world if it meant I could swim forever in the seas of infinity with those whom I love.

KaFKa
Sep 20, 2004, 09:54 AM
there are few people in this world i would die for. and most of them are dead.

Squall179
Sep 20, 2004, 11:20 AM
Then, pray tell, why would you die for the dead? to raise them to life again?

Bradicus
Sep 20, 2004, 12:21 PM
The knowledge that there's an afterlife to greet me.

KaFKa
Sep 20, 2004, 12:25 PM
On 2004-09-20 09:20, Squall179 wrote:
Then, pray tell, why would you die for the dead?

i see you missed the point entirely. -_-

BOC
Sep 20, 2004, 03:11 PM
things worth dying for:

my friends and family, love, life, freedom, if my death could save countless others, my beliefs and to stop any great evils. cause for evil to prevail good men need only do nothing.

id risk my life for anyone close to me or any cause i thought was worth fighting and dying for.

hopefully none of us will ever will be put in those kinds of situations.

PEACE!!!

Aredhel
Sep 20, 2004, 03:19 PM
Seeing some of these responses really makes me think about what we mean by 'dying for.'

I must make amendments to my post:

There are a select few people whom I would RISK dying for.

I know it's obviously just a hypotetical situation, but are you really commiting suicide just to save another in ANY plausible circumstance? There are things in this world for which I will risk my life for, hoping I will not die in the process, but also feeling content if I were to. It's not suicide, it's all just the beautiful roulette table of life. Can't you atleast appreciate and respect your own life by not saying that you WILL die in order for this this to be preserved but you would be willing to risk it all if for one chance at preserving another's life/hopeless ideal? Hmm...

astuarlen
Sep 20, 2004, 03:29 PM
To save my life and bring me great joy, O, my slaves.

Oh, wait, you meant something I'm supposed to die for. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Uhh... I'll know it if I see it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zelutos
Sep 20, 2004, 07:07 PM
I'd die for one reason, and one reason only...to protect my best friend.. Nuff said..

Eihwaz
Sep 20, 2004, 07:15 PM
Most extreme example:

Okay, that's probably the stupidest thing to die for, really. It doesn't really matter what you do, since you're gonna die. Meh.

Aredhel
Sep 20, 2004, 07:20 PM
What is death?

Getintothegame
Sep 20, 2004, 09:13 PM
Worth dying for? Hm...

Really close friends... I think that's about it.

navci
Sep 20, 2004, 10:54 PM
Blowfish.

EJ
Sep 20, 2004, 10:56 PM
On 2004-09-20 20:54, navinator wrote:
Blowfish.

How is a blowfish worth dying for http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

A love one is worth dying for.

AUTO_
Sep 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
On 2004-09-20 17:15, Eihwaz wrote:

Most extreme example:

Okay, that's probably the stupidest thing to die for, really. It doesn't really matter what you do, since you're gonna die. Meh.

It depends on the person, as you can see.

As for 'what is death', I suggest you consult a dictionary--that's as good as an explanation as this thread needs.

Don't go too deep into the pool, kiddies.

navci
Sep 20, 2004, 11:47 PM
On 2004-09-20 20:56, ForceEJ wrote:

On 2004-09-20 20:54, navinator wrote:
Blowfish.

How is a blowfish worth dying for http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

A love one is worth dying for.

Blowfishes are poisonous, but supposingly very tasty. Hence, worth dying for, to me.

I am not going to pretend I know I want to die for someone. But I know I'd try out blowfish. Hence the answer.

EJ
Sep 20, 2004, 11:58 PM
But that true only if they are handle and cooked incorrectly. But then again blowfish is very risky to eat.

That would be risking your life.

Silly me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zzzzzz
Sep 21, 2004, 12:27 AM
On 2004-09-20 21:27, AUTO_ wrote:

On 2004-09-20 17:15, Eihwaz wrote:

Most extreme example:

It depends on the person, as you can see.

Like he said. Sure, no one will remember you, but at least they'll keep on living. Another more down to earth example would be being a firemen and having to save people that rarely anybody cares about (not because their evil or anything, just no one cares) from a burning building.

Guile
Sep 21, 2004, 06:39 AM
Nothing. If I'm dead I can't really rejoice in what I died for.

HotWaterDeath
Sep 21, 2004, 09:15 AM
It was a tough decsision, but I've narrowed it down to two-things worth dying for....

Toaster bagels

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND~!

Wing-tip shoes

Farrah Fawcett

.....okay...I was kidding about the last one.

Midnight
Sep 21, 2004, 11:42 AM
like guile, i wouldnt die for anything.

Sharkyland
Sep 21, 2004, 12:57 PM
Depending on the situation, I will lay down my life though I have a itsy-bitsy feeling someone is going to get to it first. :/

Aredhel
Sep 21, 2004, 02:46 PM
On 2004-09-21 09:42, Midnight wrote:

Then why do you live?

BOC
Sep 21, 2004, 04:30 PM
i remember someone wise once saying that a man who doesn't have something he'd risk dying for hes not truly a man. or something along those lines.

fair enough plenty of people who dont like the idea of dying for anything, its cool. Theres always gonna be idiots who are willing to put there necks on the line neway http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif. So just sit back and watch them take the risks.

PEACE!!!

Guile
Sep 21, 2004, 05:29 PM
On 2004-09-21 12:46, Aredhel wrote:

Then why do you live?

Because we don't wanna die!!

EphekZ
Sep 21, 2004, 06:15 PM
On 2004-09-21 15:29, Guile wrote:

On 2004-09-21 12:46, Aredhel wrote:

Then why do you live?

Because we don't wanna die!!

heh we are ALL going to die sooner or later Ive
already gotten rid of that fear

as a "sacrifice" nothing really special to me so if its a sitution (like that one school thing with the terrorists) I probably would only if those kids got freed first then ya

Squal
Sep 22, 2004, 12:14 AM
I would die to show the world what I strongly believe is the truth ( hopefully I'd be right lol) It's something in specific but I'd rather not mention it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Squal on 2004-09-21 22:15 ]</font>

Guile
Sep 22, 2004, 02:54 AM
Sooner or later, we all get shot.
I know one day I'm gonna die, and I know it's gonna piss me off.

Aredhel
Sep 22, 2004, 06:29 AM
On 2004-09-21 04:39, Guile wrote:
Nothing. If I'm dead I can't really be pissed off because I'm DEAD.

Midnight
Sep 22, 2004, 11:53 AM
you really want us to die for something? why?

i just live for me, dont want to die for anyone or anything. i dont see whats wrong with that. oh wells...

Aredhel
Sep 22, 2004, 04:40 PM
Because without the threat of death, there is no reason to live at all.

You are a disconnected sub-being if you cannot find the will within you to be so devoted to anything whatsoever that you would not sacrifice yourself for it. I'm not saying that you don't have anything you're devoted to - you probably just don't know what it is you love yet. Devotion can be a dangerous thing, but magnanimity is at the pinnacle of the human condition - there is no greater beauty than self-induced privation of this form for the sake of an ideal or person.

Perhaps you jsut have no value for death as well - I'm not sure. Ultimately, it is of course up to you whether or not you would want to die for the sake of anything - just realize that you WILL die someday and without any of the religious collateral (opiate) how will you ever even know that you existed? Perhaps you have no value for existence either... in that case, end it now.

Scrub
Sep 22, 2004, 05:44 PM
There's only one reason I'd die for something.

-_- If she died, I'd have to kill myself anyways. Mine as well save a life.

Shadowpawn
Sep 22, 2004, 05:57 PM
What a delightfully morbid topic...

What is it that I would die for, that tough! I guess I would die for my believes, I don't believe in dying for people, people kill other people so why should I die for one. To die for my belief, is the way I would prefer to die. But then again, life never gives you want you want...

Mystil
Sep 22, 2004, 06:04 PM
I consider myself a person I dont see a reason to die for. FOR my future is history. My mom is a reason to die for, and I would die for her ONLY. Everything else is meaningless.

Shadowpawn
Sep 22, 2004, 06:18 PM
On 2004-09-22 14:40, Aredhel wrote:

You are a disconnected sub-being if you cannot find the will within you to be so devoted to anything whatsoever that you would not sacrifice yourself for it. I'm not saying that you don't have anything you're devoted to - you probably just don't know what it is you love yet. Devotion can be a dangerous thing, but magnanimity is at the pinnacle of the human condition - there is no greater beauty than self-induced privation of this form for the sake of an ideal or person.

Perhaps you jsut have no value for death as well - I'm not sure. Ultimately, it is of course up to you whether or not you would want to die for the sake of anything - just realize that you WILL die someday and without any of the religious collateral (opiate) how will you ever even know that you existed? Perhaps you have no value for existence either... in that case, end it now.

No one has to die for anything in order for them to be human. That romatic ideal is something we humans created ourselves. Some see dying for anything a lost cause because they will never see the results. That is why they choose not to die.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-09-22 16:18 ]</font>

geewj
Sep 22, 2004, 06:26 PM
On 2004-09-22 14:40, Aredhel wrote:

Not everyone has some philisophical reason for living, where you can pin point why they are living and what they are living for.

Someone people get up every morning because they feel like it. Not so they can protect thier family from death, or to see a smile on some kids face, but simply because they prefer to live.

I don't need some huge devotion to life in order to value it enough to not kill myself, and I don't need some huge fear of death in order to make me want to live.

I have something in life, in death I might have nothing. A simple matter and a simple choice.