PDA

View Full Version : DS Official Price, Release Date, & Free Games

Skett
Sep 21, 2004, 03:57 PM
Nintendo has finally shown several important bits about their new handheld, including launch date and price.

Nintendo DS's official American launch date is 11/21/04.
Nintendo DS's retail price will be $150.

"Nintendo's mission remains unchanged: expand the game experience," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Nintendo DS is the road map to the future of video games, and most clearly demonstrates the type of innovation that players demand."

Somewhat unusual, Nintendo has announced that the American launch of DS will be before all other territories. The Japanese launch is on December 2, while the Europe and Australian launch will accure sometime early 2005. There choice to release DS in America first is because of consumers positive reaction towards the system and the upcoming holidays.

"We're really excited about the price," says Nintendo vice president of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan. "That kind of pricing makes DS immediately attractive to the mass market, and that is where Nintendo needs to be."

Also confirmed, PictoChat, the IM-like software device, will be programmed into DS. A demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters is also going to be packed into the game upon purchase. This signals launch release of Metroid Prime: Hunters is not likely, but this has not been confirmed.

At this time, over 100 developers have signed on and are creating games for the DS, with around 20 games developed by Nintendo.

"Each time Nintendo creates a hand-held, it introduces new elements of play and sets a new standard for mobile gaming," says Larry Probst, EA's chairman and CEO. "The DS is no exception - Nintendo has another big winner with the DS." EA currently has several games being developed, including Urbz, GoldenEye, Need for Speed, Madden, and Tiger Woods.

"The new media format for games means that Nintendo DS has no moving parts that could be misaligned if the unit is dropped or jarred."Which means that DS will recieve the same durability as the Game Boy line.

And now the offical specs:

Launch Date and MSRP: Nov. 21, 2004, in North America ($149.99), Dec. 2, 2004, in Japan (15,000 yen), Q1 2005 in Europe and Australia

Size (when closed): 148.7 millimeters (5.85 inches) wide, 84.7 millimeters (3.33 inches) long, 28.9 millimeters (1.13 inches) tall

Top Screen: A backlit, 3-inch, semitransparent reflective TFT color LCD with 256 x 192 pixel resolution and .24 mm dot pitch, capable of displaying 260,000 colors

Touch Screen: Same specs as top screen, but with a transparent analog touch screen

Wireless Communication: IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary format; wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card

Controls: Touch screen, embedded microphone for voice recognition, A/B/X/Y face buttons, plus control pad, L/R shoulder buttons, Start and Select buttons

Input/Output: Ports for both Nintendo DS Game Cards and Game Boy Advance Game Paks, terminals for stereo headphones and microphone

Other features: Embedded PictoChat software that allows up to 16 users to chat at once, embedded real-time clock, date, time and alarm, touch-screen calibration

This is truely the real successor to the Game & Watch handhelds. Look ALARM.

CPUs: One ARM9 and one ARM7

Sound: Stereo speakers providing virtual surround sound, depending on the software

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering six to 10 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter

Languages: English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian [/small

[small]Color: Silver and Black

This is actually one model, not two. Check out the newest screens to see.

Discuss.

SOURCE(S): GameCube Advanced

Shadowpawn
Sep 21, 2004, 04:13 PM
Although $150 is a little high for a handheld...I glad to see a system come out here first (for once.)

BOC
Sep 21, 2004, 04:37 PM
fricking q1 for us europeans? and the aussies? dammit why do we always get things last? would it really be that hard to roll them all out at the same time? i mean its gonna be universal like the gba ain't it? no need for PAL versions and crap like that. Still, I'm glad that u guys in the US are getting it first rather than japan. Just to shake up the usual trend of japan-USA-europe.

eh feck it, im more likely to get a psp neway. If i bother at all.

PEACE!!!

Skett
Sep 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
On 2004-09-21 14:13, Shadowpawn wrote:
Although $150 is a little high for a handheld...I glad to see a system come out here first (for once.)

By the way, Sony has announced that they will sell PSP for $300. Seriously. I bet that 150 doesn't seem like so much now, does it?

By the way, DS has WiFi. I'm not sure why that was left out though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-09-21 14:42 ]</font>

FIDELCASTRO
Sep 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
Damn...no Wi-Fi

BOC
Sep 21, 2004, 04:56 PM
hey $150 ain't bad. thats 83.58 pound sterling. you can't buy a gba SP for less than 90 pound at the minute over here in the UK/Ireland. Thats 10 pound ($17) less than the cost of an xbox console. and 10 pound more than a cube costs!! Consoles are always so much more costly over here. When first released of course http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

i won't be surprized if the DS retails at 150 pound (the original price tag of the GBA when it was first released if memory serves) over here. thats $270 roughly. So while $150 may seem like alot for a handheld, remember your european brothers who will probably be shelling out $120 (give or take) more than you guys.

EDIT: dam pound signs came out as question marks.

PEACE!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BOC on 2004-09-21 15:05 ]</font>

Outrider
Sep 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
On 2004-09-21 14:39, Skett wrote:

On 2004-09-21 14:13, Shadowpawn wrote:

By the way, Sony has announced that they will sell PSP for $300. Seriously. I bet that 150 doesn't seem like so much now, does it?

By the way, DS has WiFi. I'm not sure why that was left out though.

Is the PSP price really official? I must've missed that press release.

That takes guts to do that, but I guess they've gotta worry about their costs.

Tact
Sep 21, 2004, 05:12 PM
Pictochat will be fun. I wonder what the range is, because if it's long enough, I can use it to talk to my friends while we're both still in our houses or on our front porches instead of using a phone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tactician7777 on 2004-09-21 15:12 ]</font>

Skett
Sep 21, 2004, 05:30 PM
Pictochat will be fun. I wonder what the range is, because if it's long enough, I can use it to talk to my friends while we're both still in our houses or on our front porches instead of using a phone.

Wireless Communication: IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary format; wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card.

Unless you live over 100 feet away, you should be fine. Anyone know what 100 feet is in yards?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-09-21 15:34 ]</font>

Sayara
Sep 21, 2004, 05:47 PM
33 and a third yards.

3 feet = 1 Yard.

150 is a wee bit too much for me right now, :

Tact
Sep 21, 2004, 06:04 PM
On 2004-09-21 15:30, Skett wrote:

Unless you live over 100 feet away, you should be fine.

I'll have to find out the distance between the houses, then.

Madzozs
Sep 21, 2004, 07:19 PM
The reason Wi-Fi wasn't mentioned was because Nintendo said it wouldn't be practical in todays gaming market. Or something similar to that. I can't remember the exact phrase used.