PDA

View Full Version : What inspires your fanfic?

Davion
Jul 1, 2002, 01:15 PM
What I mean is are you influenced by any other anime or story? I know I am. There are some DBZ elements to my fic, but mostly with techniques. I was just interested.

Reno
Jul 1, 2002, 01:55 PM
I get ideas for pictures/fics from all over the place, Lord of the Rings, Soul Calibur, Metal Gear Solid, things I see now and then on TV etc

If I see something I really like then I usually make use of it in some way or another ^_^

EDIT: How could I forget music!? I listen to it almost all the time whilst i'm drawing stuff (not so much when i'm writing, it can be pretty distracting when i'm trying to think of stuff to write, but still music inspires my writing) for example, guess what I was listening to when I got the idea for my sig (heres a clue, it's written in big letters at the bottom of it ^_^)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reno on 2002-07-01 16:27 ]</font>

M_BlackHawk
Jul 1, 2002, 02:21 PM
Mostly, my inspiration comes from wanting to tell a deeper story than is available in the PSO game, using my characters, who are a family.

That's what inspires my fics.

later.

War_Child
Jul 1, 2002, 04:17 PM
Time of day, what games I played that day, mood, who I've seen that day, movies, current events, etc.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 1, 2002, 04:47 PM
Well, I felt inspired to start writing my fanfic, because I enjoy writing, and it's been a long time since I've had anything in particular to write about.
I especially wanted to write something from a first-person perspective, which I've never really done before, but just recently realized that the format has enormous potential for sharing the personal thoughts and retrospects of the character. Which basically means that I can have an outlet for my goofy thoughts that frequently fly through my head with no real organization or purpose for existing.
That's pretty well what continues to inspire my fic. I constantly get stupid little ideas that I want to share with the world. In The Recollection of Meira, for example, I like to have Meira go on a little rant to the reader, from time to time, on this, that or the other thing. It's mostly just stuff that I thought about, and thought was funny, so I toss it in for good measure.
I also get ideas for stuff to happen. Little situations to put the characters in, and see how they handle it. Dragoon is a character that has seen more of this than any other character; most noticeably, in Chapter 6, when this kill-hungry android comes across a Pofuilly slime, that simply won't die, if he tries to kill it the way he normally attempts to kill things. It's mostly just uninspired slush that flops around in my head, until I've got it molded into something recognizable.
I suppose the most fun part about writing it the way I do, is that I work myself into a hole, then I've gotta figure out how to get myself out of it, in a fashion that not only makes sense, but is also interesting. The result is that I usually end up with something really neat.

Now, that's not to say, of course, that there aren't other things that genuinely DO inspire me. I have several scenes lined up for later in the fanfic that were inspired by various tunes that I listen to, and have been lucky enough to have been thinking about my story in the mean time. That's kinda what inspires the real meat and potatos of the plot... Good music. But the stuff that I come up with to try to keep it interesting in the mean time, well, that's just off the top of my head, and absolutely silly.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 1, 2002, 06:15 PM
My recent fic was originally inspired by the film 'Blade Runner' and the book it was based off of, 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'. But after time, ive been inspired by loads of other things, including games and tv.

With other fics and stuff, i use music for writing aswell. Music can conjour up loads of different emotions and this helps me think out a scene. Fast, energetic dance music helps with action scenes. Slow, sombre music for sad parts.

Other stories are also sources of inspiration. Some fan fics here are great and really help inspire me to actually write down stories ive been working on in my head.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Jul 1, 2002, 06:25 PM
The story I'm working on is inspired by the PSO family my sister had built. From studying a lot of literature, I try to make my story more serious than superficial, while maintaining the 3 keys to success: Teenage sex, violence, and... argh, I forget the third one.

Kupi
Jul 1, 2002, 07:24 PM
I don't really draw influences from outside media, but the purpose of my writing is usually to develop the characters rather than to put existing characters in different situations and tell a story.

Luc
Jul 1, 2002, 08:28 PM
Books that I've read, if you've read my most recent fic...ok ok its not so recent..I need to find it again..lol.

Anyways..if any of you read my last fanfic you'll notice that it switches from one character's view to another, what they see and say. I got the idea from a Stephen King book "Dream Catcher" interesting book, but lengthy.

SS_Death
Jul 2, 2002, 04:09 AM
Mostly got my inspriation from the various books, anime and other fictions I have read. Based the main characters on my friends characters and their personalities. In some ways I seem to have been writing a plot for PSO 2...

Overall I enjoy the writing and it is very relaxing, but have been playing PSO a lot recently for more ideas...

Definately also influenced by some of the other RPG's I've played.

Daikarin
Jul 2, 2002, 04:25 AM
I'm inspired by what comes into my mind. If it's good enough it's in. It can come of anyplace: Previous animes, real-life situations, and a personal view of the things by the main character. These are the main elements of the fanfic that I'm currently working on.

breathofire
Jul 5, 2002, 01:44 PM
Me it just videogames I love to play or realy want that make me wright fan fic

Nerd
Jul 5, 2002, 05:56 PM
My one and only fanfic was inspired by a flash movie i saw once called somethin like 'shakespeare for l337'

Dangerous55
Jul 5, 2002, 10:02 PM
Fat midget painters.

Moo2u
Jul 7, 2002, 09:45 AM
Mostly everything around me inspiers me, but mostly it's the music I listen to.