PDA

View Full Version : Can't not believe

Skuda
Sep 22, 2004, 10:27 AM
I hate it when people say stuff like "I don't believe in eating animals." or "I don't believe in Christmas."

You have to be either an idiot, or just don't understand the word Believe.

I guess dictionary.com will do for now.

be-lieve
v. be-lieved, be-liev-ing, be-lieves
v. tr.
To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
To credit with veracity: I believe you.
To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

how can you not believe in eating animals? things eat animals. hence, it is fact. how can you not believe in something that is true?

"I choose not to eat animals" would be alot more correct than "I don't believe in eating animals."

it's okay to say, I don't believe in God, because God can not be really Proven.

So I guess, just another reason why the English language is so hard. it's sometimes moronic really.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scott_Kuda on 2004-09-22 08:28 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Sep 22, 2004, 10:57 AM
I don't believe in religion or that humanity still has the ability to be intelligent, does that count?

Skuda
Sep 22, 2004, 11:01 AM
On 2004-09-22 08:57, Blue-Hawk wrote:
I don't believe in religion or that humanity still has the ability to be intelligent, does that count?

you have to believe in Religion. Religion is factual. on the plus side, you don't have to believe a lick of what they say, bacuase you don't know for sure if their religion is based on any actual fact.

Scejntjynahl
Sep 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
Ok here it goes, I dont believe in ghosts, I dont approve of religions, And eating animals is not to my liking?

Better?

Skuda
Sep 22, 2004, 11:07 AM
On 2004-09-22 09:03, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Ok here it goes, I dont believe in ghosts, I dont approve of religions, And eating animals is not to my liking?

Better?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

a smart lass, as always.

geewj
Sep 22, 2004, 11:09 AM
You're using the word in the wrong context.

When they say they don't believe in it, they mean that it doesn't fall in thier beliefs, thier beliefs being what they think is right.

If you want to spell out ever word in the sentence: "I don't believe it is right to eat animals".

They aren't denying the existance of it.

Just another application of the root word.

KaFKa
Sep 22, 2004, 11:35 AM
oh yes, lets bash on people for not caring about their conversational grammar and wanting to prove a point. -_-

Mystil
Sep 22, 2004, 02:08 PM
On 2004-09-22 09:09, Prof_Frink wrote:
You're using the word in the wrong context.

When they say they don't believe in it, they mean that it doesn't fall in thier beliefs, thier beliefs being what they think is right.

If you want to spell out ever word in the sentence: "I don't believe it is right to eat animals".

They aren't denying the existance of it.

Just another application of the root word.

Ding ding.

Zelutos
Sep 22, 2004, 05:18 PM
I don't believe in belief XD