PDA

View Full Version : the SONY SELF OWN CONTINUES!

Para
Sep 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
check my latest post on page 3 (under my psow forum settings of course http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media/1095865628.html

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHROFFLMFAOOMGWTFBBQ!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nites on 2004-09-27 19:13 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2004, 10:44 PM
*falls out of chair laughing*

Yep, GBA SP will still dominate. :3

EphekZ
Sep 22, 2004, 10:47 PM
wait..are you saying they are idiots becasue teh price for the PSP is 300? err 299.00

yes I see

then yes i agree with you

EJ
Sep 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif no way anyone going to buy a handheld for that price.

Just look at the taco. No one is actually going to buy that handheld system.

If people do there really don't know games http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Zzzzzz
Sep 23, 2004, 02:36 AM
Like somebody said before(I think Outrider), the PSP will most likely be staying the handheld business because of the fanboys and Sony's large amounts of money.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 23, 2004, 03:12 AM
Well, if the price stays in that range by the time the PSP makes it to the UK shores it has already solved my PSP vs DS problems. You can actually buy a Gamecube, a PS2 and an Xbox cheaper then that.

Zzzzzz
Sep 23, 2004, 03:43 AM
Heck, you can buy three new GCNs and two new X-Boxs and PS2s for that price in the US. Then again, you can buy any of those systems for the price of the DS.

DarthFomar
Sep 23, 2004, 08:04 AM
On 2004-09-23 01:43, Zzzzzz wrote:
Heck, you can buy three new GCNs and two new X-Boxs and PS2s for that price in the US. Then again, you can buy any of those systems for the price of the DS.

Which is exactly why I don't rush out to buy systems. I wait till they get cheaper. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Outrider
Sep 23, 2004, 09:24 AM
On 2004-09-23 00:36, Zzzzzz wrote:
Like somebody said before(I think Outrider), the PSP will most likely be staying the handheld business because of the fanboys and Sony's large amounts of money.

Don't remember if I said that or not, but I didn't think the PSP would die out or anything.

Of course, I honestly didn't think Sony would seriously be releasing it with a $300 price tag...

Sharkyland
Sep 23, 2004, 10:01 AM
A game system is worthless with no games.

geewj
Sep 23, 2004, 10:23 AM
Reminds me of the atari lynx. It cost $189.95 when it was released back in 1989 >_>.

Needless to say, it didn't do well.

Outrider
Sep 23, 2004, 12:31 PM
On 2004-09-23 08:23, Prof_Frink wrote:
Reminds me of the atari lynx. It cost $189.95 when it was released back in 1989 >_>.

Needless to say, it didn't do well.

But some of the games were pretty fun.

geewj
Sep 23, 2004, 12:37 PM
The fighting food game was fun, ...but not $200 fun.

And now I remember the name of it.

Kung-Food -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prof_Frink on 2004-09-23 11:21 ]</font>

Skett
Sep 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
I have no disagreement that releasing PSP for $300 is a mistake but I still feel that the PlayStation brand and the stock of exciting games will help bring many in, like myself. The start of the first big portable war has the odds in DS favor with equally exciting games, lower price, and a early lead.

DarthFomar
Sep 23, 2004, 02:53 PM
I, still, will not be buying neither the DS nor the PSP upon their premiere releases.

I mean $300 is a lot of money for a console...and even more for something that's handheld.

I'll be one of those losers who waits till the price drops to like $150 or $100. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Though I don't suppose I'll be missing out too much...after all I still have my GameboyColor. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-09-23 12:54 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Sep 23, 2004, 03:09 PM
I'll be getting the DS as soon as its available for my nephew for Christmas, but I would never buy one for myself (never been a big fan of portable gaming lol.)

shingo
Sep 23, 2004, 05:41 PM
Nintendo got this thing in the bag because ithink why dp youn nedd a phone and all this other crap if just want to play a game on a handheld.

Outrider
Sep 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
On 2004-09-23 15:41, shingo wrote:
Nintendo got this thing in the bag because ithink why dp youn nedd a phone and all this other crap if just want to play a game on a handheld.

We're not talking about the N-Gage.

Basically, the PSP just has movies and music as features that the DS doesn't have... no phone.

Jason
Sep 24, 2004, 02:33 PM
Outrider wrote:

And the N-Gage is not made by Nintendo.

Prof_Frink wrote:
The fighting food game was fun, ...but not $200 fun.

And now I remember the name of it.

Kung-Food -_-

Kung-Food? I like that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Outrider
Sep 24, 2004, 02:56 PM
On 2004-09-24 12:33, Jason wrote:

Outrider wrote:

And the N-Gage is not made by Nintendo.

Why thank you, I almost thought Nokia and Nintendo were the same company! [/sarcasm]

I was just pointing out that there's no discussion of having a phone built into a handheld system because we're not talking about the N-Gage.

Jason
Sep 24, 2004, 05:04 PM
I was adding to what you said, not correcting you. It was no offense. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Outrider
Sep 24, 2004, 06:03 PM
On 2004-09-24 15:04, Jason wrote:
I was adding to what you said, not correcting you. It was no offense. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Ah, very sorry. My mistake.

So, uh... yeah... handheld systems and such.

I dunno, I'm really excited about the DS, and I was kinda excited about the PSP, but no way I'm gonna have $300 in expendable income at any point around the time it's coming out.

Jason
Sep 24, 2004, 07:43 PM
It is no problem really, apology accepted. Yeah, $300 for a handheld system is a rip-off. I'm currently fine with my SP, and being the Nintendo fan that I am, DS is what I'm going for.

HotWaterDeath
Sep 25, 2004, 10:03 AM
Three-hundred-dollars!? Goodness! I could be halfway to a decent amp-stack with that kind of money. I'm sure it'll be a nice system and all...but man.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be plenty of chaps willing to shell out the dough for that thing if that FF VII sequel dealy is coming out on it. That's certainly not enough for me.

PJ
Sep 25, 2004, 10:45 AM
On 2004-09-24 12:25, Outrider wrote:
Basically, the PSP just has movies and music as features that the DS doesn't have... no phone.

I think in an EGM article of PSP vs DS, it said the PSP had a battery life span (For DVD watching) of 2 hours... that's not even LotR =/

Skett
Sep 25, 2004, 10:50 AM
Chao, that battery life is just a estimated life said by Sony at E3. It was something like, it could be 10 hours playing games, 6 hours for playing music, or 2 1/2 hours for watching a movie. Sony has not official announced the battery life yet.

Jees, Goku. That sounded pretty fanboyish. (Talking about post below mine.) How about you say, "Shows that Nintendo is just going to take this laying down." Or something. Besides, we don't know, PSP could appear victorious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-09-25 11:39 ]</font>

goku4ever
Sep 25, 2004, 01:11 PM
Sony PSP dont stand a chance against Nintendo DS. This will finally make people see that Nintendo are better then Sony.

hollowtip
Sep 25, 2004, 01:37 PM
I still don't understand the logic both Sony and Nintendo are using to justify their different price points and hardware functions.

Both companies are wrongfully assuming that the handheld market can be dissected according to their hardware specifications and price points. Both companies are also advertising their products mainly as handheld gaming devices but claim they will not be directly competing with each other.

Just because DS has two viewable screens doesn't make it a whole new gaming entity in itself.

Again, how they both come to this consensus is beyond me.

The only way I could see Sony being successful with the PSP is if they put more effort into multimedia functionality, rather than specifically focusing on gaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2004-09-25 11:38 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Sep 25, 2004, 01:49 PM
I look forward to the DS, and the PSP somewhat. The world market appears to have been shifted to the more expendable income persons for handhelds, at least with the prices. However, seeing as how I can buy a GBC for $15 now, a GBASP for $60, and GC for $80 all new, well... prices will go down. Whether or not down as drastically as the 3 current consoles went down, I wouldn't bet on. I look forward to buying it for gaming myself, as I would not want to buy special PSP movie disks of DVDs I already have... And they would likely not have the DVDs I want for the PSP anyway...

Dangerous55
Sep 25, 2004, 02:13 PM
On 2004-09-25 11:11, goku4ever wrote:
Sony PSP dont stand a chance against Nintendo DS. This will finally make people see that Nintendo are better then Sony.

It is a friggin company, neither are better.

goku4ever
Sep 26, 2004, 04:50 AM
On 2004-09-25 12:13, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-09-25 11:11, goku4ever wrote:

It is a friggin company, neither are better.

What you chatting about? Of course a company can be better then another company

HotWaterDeath
Sep 27, 2004, 09:54 AM
Oh goodness.

"My dog can beat-up your dog"

"My dad can beat-up your dad"

"My Game Gear eats your Lynx"

BLAH!!!

Zzzzzz
Sep 27, 2004, 12:18 PM
On 2004-09-23 07:24, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-09-23 00:36, Zzzzzz wrote:

Don't remember if I said that or not, but I didn't think the PSP would die out or anything.

My mistake.

Of course, I honestly didn't think Sony would seriously be releasing it with a $300 price tag...

I sure hope it won't. 3DO with the same price dropped down in sales really fast once people found out the SNES could make 3D-like graphics(DK Country).
And what's this thing with DVD battery life? Why not just buy a mini DVD player if you're so concerned about it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Skett
Sep 27, 2004, 08:30 PM
Obviously, the games are going to be the biggest factor among these systems. It's true, price will be a large hurdle but if the games are good enough, people will buy the systems.

Think about it, of all these overpriced systems that failed, did anyone of the have the line-up that DS and PSP have now, before they are even launched?

Naturally, price is going to be a big hurdle but if Sony crosses it, Nintendo may have a hard time keeping them down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-09-27 18:32 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Sep 27, 2004, 08:42 PM
Perhaps the games will be a factor, but how many of them are likely to be original and exclusive to the PSP? Or are there to be more PS1 ports/PS2 scaledowns than originals (see also the GBA)?

Outrider
Sep 27, 2004, 08:43 PM
On 2004-09-27 18:30, Skett wrote:
Obviously, the games are going to be the biggest factor among these systems. It's true, price will be a large hurdle but if the games are good enough, people will buy the systems.

Think about it, of all these overpriced systems that failed, did anyone of the have the line-up that DS and PSP have now, before they are even launched?

Naturally, price is going to be a big hurdle but if Sony crosses it, Nintendo may have a hard time keeping them down.

Saturn had a pretty good line-up, didn't it? Can't really remember, but I do remember it launched for like... $400 or something.

Skett
Sep 27, 2004, 09:00 PM
Saturn didn't do terrible...outside America. Yeah, Saturn ended up in third in US but in Japan it beat out PlayStation for a while than remaned second.

I can't really say Saturn had a great number of games. Much like many other systems, they might have had several great games, like Virtua Cop, Nights, and Virtua Fighter, but none with the starpower of Mario or Crash (when he first came out, anyways).

Shattered_weasel
Sep 27, 2004, 09:06 PM
"My Dad can beat up your mom"...what now.

I'll tell you one thing that will make the PSP sell.

FF:Advent Children. You know every one of the little fanboys are gunna go buy a PSP just for that. Unless they release it to home theater than that is a different story all together.

Para
Sep 27, 2004, 09:12 PM
LOLOL
THE SONY SELF OWN IS CONTINUING!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1096322808

PSP Price Point Revealed At Last
It's semi-official -- at the Tokyo Game Show, Sony confirmed to various members of the press that the PSP would indeed retail for 38,624 Yen in Japan and $349.99 here in North America. As well, PSP games (as they are disc-based) require a memory stick that itself retails for $29.99.

This news is sure to please Nintendo fanboys who were previously worried about Sony edging in on Nintendo's monopoly -- they (Sony) are clearly targeting a different audience.

and http://www.n-philes.com/index.php?Id=301

Originally, this news was leaked by Gamespot who quickly, after discovering they broke an NDA, retracted the statement but Link-13 from our forums, courtesy of those lovely people at TGS have been able to report that the price of the PSP (Playstation Portable) will retail for an outstanding bargain of 38,624 Yen, or $349.99.

So for any future PSP owners.. let's do a little price comparision.

Playstation Portable
Hardware: $349.99
1 Game: $39.99 (at a minimum)
Memory Stick: $29.99 (at a minimum)
Total: $419.97

Nintendo DS
Hardware: $149.99
1 Game: $39.99 (at a minimum)
Postage and Packing (since you bought it online): $6.00
Total: $195.98

We'll try to get a link to the original source, and further news as it happens. There was mention however, that Sony intends to cater to a different market than the DS. Stick with N-Philes for continued coverage of the PSP's potential rise and fall.

Both news point to gamespot as the source http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
HAHAHAHAHA

OnnaWren
Sep 27, 2004, 09:13 PM
Outrider wrote:

Saturn had a pretty good line-up, didn't it? Can't really remember, but I do remember it launched for like... $400 or something.

Yes, it launched at somewhere around that price. However (I was in Sacramento when it launched), the "surprise launch" in select cities on Memorial Day of 1995 seemed to have caught everyone by surprise... not the least of which was Sega of America itself... it was two weeks before any games showed up in area stores! And then, it was only VF2, VC, and Daytona... blah. -_-;

Oh, and Weasel... FF:AC would sell, yes, but not so much as if it were an actual game...

[EDIT: speeling, clarification]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2004-09-27 19:18 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Sep 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
On 2004-09-26 02:50, goku4ever wrote:

What you chatting about? Of course a company can be better then another company

Not in the way you're thinking, tubby.

Skett
Sep 27, 2004, 09:50 PM
On 2004-09-27 19:12, Nites wrote:
Both news point to gamespot as the source http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
HAHAHAHAHA

That story originated from a board, which Gamespot took it from. It has already been confirmed that the story was false by the one who posted the story on that board, which is also why it has since been taken down on Gamestop.

Para
Sep 27, 2004, 10:12 PM
link us?

Deathscythealpha
Sep 28, 2004, 02:21 AM
On 2004-09-27 19:13, OnnaWren wrote:
Outrider wrote:

Yes, it launched at somewhere around that price. However (I was in Sacramento when it launched), the "surprise launch" in select cities on Memorial Day of 1995 seemed to have caught everyone by surprise... not the least of which was Sega of America itself... it was two weeks before any games showed up in area stores! And then, it was only VF2, VC, and Daytona... blah. -_-;

Oh, and Weasel... FF:AC would sell, yes, but not so much as if it were an actual game...

Hmm, i thought the Saturn launch line up was Clockwork Night, Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 1.

And i cant see people shelling out the cash for a PSP just for FF:AC when its coming out on DVD aswell (for whoever mentioned it above). I would rather see it on a full sized TV rather then squeezed onto a handheld system.

digigram
Sep 28, 2004, 09:50 AM
you know... after i read that article again and looked at the part in particular, saying that it was speculation and the german managing director for SCEE was wrong. wrong by stating the $299.00 price tag.. I am guessing it is going to drop before its actual release..

Outrider
Sep 28, 2004, 01:05 PM
On 2004-09-27 19:12, Nites wrote:
http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1096322808

Wow, Nintendojo? I haven't heard from those guys in a while.

But yeah, no way $350 could be the final price. It just makes no sense.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 28, 2004, 02:04 PM
On 2004-09-28 00:21, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Outrider wrote:

Hmm, i thought the Saturn launch line up was Clockwork Night, Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 1.

And i cant see people shelling out the cash for a PSP just for FF:AC when its coming out on DVD aswell (for whoever mentioned it above). I would rather see it on a full sized TV rather then squeezed onto a handheld system.

I had heard that they weren't planning on making a home version. But I may be wrong.

Skett
Sep 28, 2004, 02:24 PM
On 2004-09-28 12:04, Shattered_weasel wrote:

On 2004-09-28 00:21, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Outrider wrote:

I had heard that they weren't planning on making a home version. But I may be wrong.

It was announced for DVD first, later when Sony first shown the titles coming to PSP.

Shrevn
Sep 30, 2004, 02:31 PM
Lol its sad even if its $500 people will buy it
its "WHATS HOT and NEW!!!" plus somewhat of namebrand ppl will buy... sad really

Ness
Oct 2, 2004, 03:59 PM
I don't see what the big deal is; both systems suck.

Outrider
Oct 2, 2004, 07:26 PM
On 2004-10-02 13:59, Ness wrote:

Thanks, Ness. Don't know what we would've done without your obviously well-informed and thought-out opinion.

My question with the PSP is this - when is it supposed to come out? It seems from everything I'm reading that it's supposed to come out in Japan before year end, but I've also picked up from everything I've read that most of the media thinks this will be pushing it pretty close with the current state of the system at the TGS.

Also, a few more questions: Will the PSP use normal batteries or will it have a lithium-ion battery/some other rechargeable power source like the SP/DS? Aren't lithium ion batteries the ones that lose lifespan if you recharge them when there's still power on them? Since the PSP has a different battery life with the different features, couldn't this be a problem if it uses that kind of power source? I dunno, just some random questions.

Ness
Oct 3, 2004, 11:58 AM
On 2004-10-02 17:26, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-10-02 13:59, Ness wrote:

Thanks, Ness. Don't know what we would've done without your obviously well-informed and thought-out opinion.

Glad to help. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif