PDA

View Full Version : Random bitching!

Sayara
Sep 22, 2004, 11:27 PM
-.- Im sorry. I have to spill this. Me held this for like 2 weeks already its time to let it out.

I first want to apologize anyone who became upset or angry with ANY of my actions during this period.

Anyway on to our main presentation.
If you knew it or not I am taking Art Courses in College. Ar 101 which is Drawing 1, a class EVERYONE needs. And at one occassion my Art teach wanted to see my scribble book. I call it scribble because its not for any class, its just for me.

Well regardless, she flat out called it crap. It lacked Creativity, it was unoriginal, stick to the other art. I next asked how is the art i am doing here is like, I didnt get a direct answer. Oh its, "fine" "ok" "alright" the three words that mean your NOT saying its good, Its a well known fact kids.

Basically right there stabbed me where it hurts most. And since then i've been alot less involved with Drawing, Doodling and such. Unless i am preforming requests.

Well today this feeling returns when i turn in my Portfolio for Grading. I'll end out having the worst rained out shit in the bunch which is just "fine" "ok" while everyone else around me is far beyond what i've done.

Im not supposed to compare myself but how the FUCK can you NOT compare yourself when EVERYBODY is doing 2 million times better than the shit you just did?

... I dunno why the hell im saying this, but i guess its better i spilled it out now.

Bleh, Whatever.

Squall179
Sep 22, 2004, 11:31 PM
What nerve....that teacher....ugh...

That teacher had no right to call your PERSONAL drawings the equivalent of crap...those were for you, noone else, it sounded like, in how you spoke of them. I would like to see some of that teachers pitiful attempts at their OWN personal scribles....:fume:

EJ
Sep 22, 2004, 11:38 PM
I hate teachers like that.

Had one teacher like that in my computer programming class. I wanted to kick his ass saying I don't know what I was doing.

The only way to get over this is to show your teacher that you are better than them and that will shut them up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Goodluck in your class.

Blue-Hawk
Sep 22, 2004, 11:49 PM
Meh. I stopped trying to draw years ago when I came to the self realization that a 5 year old has better drawing skills then I do.

Deathscythealpha
Sep 23, 2004, 03:34 AM
It sounds really off that a Teacher would put your personal work down like that. I really hate showing any of my personal drawings/writings to anyone, and i think its the same with alot of people. But to have it put down like that once you do show it can be a real blow.

All you can really do now is try and forget the incident and just concentrate on your work. Dont give up on it just because one person didn't like it, just try to do your best at something you like doing.

Sagasu
Sep 23, 2004, 04:37 AM
You should have said no [/cliched line]

He/she commented on you doodles? -_-

Ah well, at least it prepares you. Even if the reality of the matter is that everyone in your class is better than you, the teacher should stop telling you candy coated words. So what we do know is that your not the best, and your teacher makes this abundantly clear.

What doesn't help you is that your getting upset about not being the best. Especially as recently as you've been doing this stuff. People have devoted their entire lives to art, so imagine thm getting put down through the course of their lives. Not just some college turbulence.

Also what isn't helping you is that your starting to give up. Not everyone is born with perfect motor skills, most everyone has to develop them the hard way. Like yourself. So if your seriously devoted to this, other peoples opinions shouldn't mean shit to you. When you create art, ignore the world. Theres no point in doing something if you cannot find satisfaction from it.

What is helping you is that you're there, drawing, and have yet to pack up and leave. If you can keep this up, if you can live to tell the tale, then theres no level of skill you cannot achieve. But by the sounds of it, its going to be hard. Some have a harder time than others accepting that, and until they do so they will continue to have problems. Your teacher is an ass, I'll give you that, but you cannot expect him or her to change for your sake.

Bah, ignore me if you wish. But this is just how I see it -_-

Skuda
Sep 23, 2004, 07:03 AM
no offense, Tingle, but only recently ahve I become REALLY intrigued with your work.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything... but most of your previous works that I have seen were kind of bland.

the few posts you've made in fanworks as of late are a real turn around for you.

they seem more witty, more energetic than the random standing and sitting around.

perhaps this was an eye opener for you? but, I guess it's for the best. keep up the work Teh SU!

Nai_Calus
Sep 23, 2004, 07:08 AM
Sagasu, shut the fuck up. There's a difference between constructive criticism that actually helps, and the bullshit like the teacher and you are spewing is the demeaning, useless SHIT. "You suck, deal with it" does not help anyone with anything.

Tingle, report your teacher to the administration. Teachers are NOT allowed to act like that. If nothing happens and your teacher keeps being a fucktard, keep reporting it until something happens. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.

Also, if you can, avoid taking any future classes with this person if at all possible. Doing it for yourself is all well and good, but it gets hard to do it even for just you if all you hear is negativity and bullshit. Get away from it.

Garanz2
Sep 23, 2004, 07:35 AM
Hmm...before you dump the teacher and the class altogether, why don't you ask him how he thinks you could improve your work? It's never as simple as; "He's a fucktard."

Aredhel
Sep 23, 2004, 08:42 AM
People take criticism in very different ways. I've been fortunate enough to have enough natural talent with art. In my art classes, ever since I was little, I was always the teacher's 'special project' with all of the skill I'd exhibited from day 1. As such, going into high school was different for me in many ways. There were now lots of kids who knew how to draw, so my only strong point came in style. I developed my style, taking art every semester I could. Once I got into Graphic Design 1, my teacher had already heard about me as I'd been in the AP art class next door to him the previous year. He criticized everything I did - not just artwork. I was sent out of class when he would lecture us on sans-seriff font, just because I wasn't looking up at the overhead. XP This guy was a complete prick and a loser of an artist if I might say - he was always accusing me of arrogance because I refused to do exactly what he told me to. In perspective, he might have ruined art for me that year - but it's simply not the case. If anything, his accusations and criticism pushed me harder to somehow (I can't believe I'm admitting this) please him - to gain his recognition. He was, after all, my teacher. He was a prick, yes, but my grade was in his hands. I'm now in my first semester of college and I plan on majoring in Graphic Design. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So you see, criticism can push you to go farther - hard, soft, whatever - when people do nothing but praise you, there's no true incentive to develop your skill any further, short of doing it for yourself alone. In that case, you have to find the will within yourself to do what you enjoy - if you believe that you have skill and would like to develop it, then do just that. If you believe that the teacher may be right in saying your skill is mediocre, they may just be right. In that case, find the will within yourself to prove them wrong by developing your skill further.

And don't listen to some of these assholes - reporting a teacher in college because they criticize your artwork? P - F - F - T!!! Who knows? maybe there's even something you might learn from this teacher... just keep an open mind and all will be good. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nai_Calus
Sep 23, 2004, 08:57 AM
Again, teachers giving pointless slams of your work is not only wrong, but also generally against school policies. -_- As I've noted, constructive criticism is one thing, useless bitching about how much something sucks is another. Constructive criticism tells you what's wrong, and lets you know what needs fixing that you can't see yourself because you're blinded by being too close to it. Saying something 'isn't original' or 'sucks' or is 'ok' and shit like that just puts you down, and doesn't help at all. Also, you said yourself that people take that kind of shit differently. It pushed you? Well, good for you. Tingle isn't you. Maybe for Tingle crap like that is the least helpful thing possible. In that case, it's just going to bring her down, isn't it? One size does not fit all. It's one thing to get that crap from a classmate or some random person you can roll your eyes at and shut out, but if the person who's supposed to be teaching you and guiding you to become better simply sits there and says that you suck... That's not helpful, that's not cool, and that's just plain fucking bullshit. If you think I'm an 'asshole' for thinking that teachers should behave better than moronic six-year-olds, you have serious issues. -_-; I also don't appreciate the flame, but... Eh, you're not anything to me. *tunes you out*

Scejntjynahl
Sep 23, 2004, 09:43 AM
Tingle, your "doodlings" have nothing to do with the class, so just dont show them to the teacher, it is your right to privacy. Only thing that teacher should be concerned with is the assignments that have been issued and nothing more.

And about the criticism, shake it off, there will always be people with their own goddamned opinions. Trust me, youll most likely find people that think your art to be inspired, full of pontential, and others that will straight out tell you they hate it.

In the end, the most important critic in your life is yourself. You will with yourself 24/7 and that teacher will be left in your past, so just hang tight, believe in what you know and go to the direction that is best suited to you. Remember teachers in general believe in the premolded cookie cut student... they lack the sense to bring out the best in any individual student. So most likely if a student doesn't conform to their "world" they will be critized.

Meh, I rambling now. Sorry.

Sagasu
Sep 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
On 2004-09-23 05:08, Ian-KunX wrote:
Sagasu, shut the fuck up. There's a difference between constructive criticism that actually helps, and the bullshit like the teacher and you are spewing is the demeaning, useless SHIT. "You suck, deal with it" does not help anyone with anything.

Oh?

I don't see "you suck, deal with it" written anywhere in my response. Its close minded fucks like you that make posting something thats not 100% sentimental a lot harder.

I'm not going to turn this into a conversation, so have a nice day http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aredhel
Sep 23, 2004, 10:59 AM
On 2004-09-23 08:26, Sagasu wrote:

Oh?

I don't see "you suck, deal with it" written anywhere in my response. Its close minded fucks like you that make posting something thats not 100% sentimental a lot harder.

I'm not going to turn this into a conversation, so have a nice day http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Methinks Ian has had problems of its own in the past. Nowhere has anyone said that the teacher told Tingle that his artwork 'sucked' - the teacher just said it was merely ok. What do you want the college-level professor to fucking LIE to a student? If the teacher does not love the artwork - there should be no hesitation in sharing his feelings. Though it may be good and nice of you to think of yourself as a strong, independent person who doesn't need the consideration of others to get by, you must also recognize the fact that the teacher is a person as well, with their own thoughts and feelings and tastes, and sometimes people just cannot be dishonest with others - appreciate that fact.

Just because the teacher compares you with other students is no reason to get all pissed-off at your own work. If there were no comparison, would we have ANY outstanding artists? I'm not sure, maybe the world would be a more beautiful place of art and truth, but that's not gonna happen any time soon so just don't even worry about it. It is important for YOU to consider yourself in the fact of how much progress you have made as far as developing your artistic skill (martial, graphic or otherwise) but never forget that you grow more as an artist and as a person when you are tested to your limit.

Just don't give up your current course by distracting yourself with wishes of reporting the teacher. That's useless bullshit and unneccessary paperwork for everyone http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 23, 2004, 11:45 AM
Quote For Fucking Emphasis:

On 2004-09-22 21:27, Tingle wrote:

Well regardless, she flat out called it crap. It lacked Creativity, it was unoriginal, stick to the other art.

Aredhel
Sep 23, 2004, 12:11 PM
Hmmm... "fine" "ok" and "alright" get quotation marks, but flat-out, total crap doesn't... perhaps, Tingle, you are being your own worst critic? If you are paraphrasing what the teacher said, perhaps the version WE get to hear is the one that has been processed and turned over through your mind, the one that might tend to exaggerate things a bit?

Regardless, even if the teacher called it "flat-out, total crap" is that any reason to be all pissed off about it? If you are indeed taking a College course, then fucking grow up - you can't just go blaming all of your defeciencies on other people all the time.

The world isn't always going to celebrate you for effort.

Sayara
Sep 23, 2004, 03:33 PM
Wow, im stirring contriversy?

Anyway i quote "fine" "Ok" as cookie cut responses for teachers of any class to say to a student, SOUNDING right, yet still lacks, or doesnt fulful their potential

Today i'm feelin better so thats all good.

Aredhel
Sep 23, 2004, 03:41 PM
On 2004-09-23 13:33, Tingle wrote:
Wow, im stirring contriversy?

Anyway i quote "fine" "Ok" as cookie cut responses for teachers of any class to say to a student, SOUNDING right, yet still lacks, or doesnt fulful their potential

Today i'm feelin better so thats all good.

I guess that's all that's important http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif