PDA

View Full Version : A few questions to trial players regarding the controller...

Parn
Jul 2, 2002, 10:45 AM
...I thought I recall the Z button on the controller being mentioned to bring up the quick weapons/tech/item menu. Is this true?

Additionally, what does the C analog stick do? I imagine it allows you to navigate menus like the D-pad did.

Also, how sensitive are the L and R triggers? Do you have to press all the way down to get that little "click" for it to register? Just wondering since both buttons are pressure sensitive.

Thanks ahead of time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2002-07-02 08:47 ]</font>

watashiwa
Jul 2, 2002, 11:57 AM
On 2002-07-02 08:45, Parn wrote:
...I thought I recall the Z button on the controller being mentioned to bring up the quick weapons/tech/item menu. Is this true?

All it does it bring up the start menu. O_o;

Additionally, what does the C analog stick do? I imagine it allows you to navigate menus like the D-pad did.

Scrolls text, mostly. I don't think it allows you to navigate menus, but I haven't tried it for that. I'll try it today. <.<

Also, how sensitive are the L and R triggers? Do you have to press all the way down to get that little "click" for it to register? Just wondering since both buttons are pressure sensitive.

They're not that sensitive, I seem to have to press pretty decently for them to register.

Ziggy-san
Jul 2, 2002, 01:03 PM
Oh, aaa...is the control stick...aaa...does it work the same way as it did on the DC, that you puch in one direction and your character ends up walking and then running or does it actually depend on how far you push the control stick? Agh, that always seemed to annoy me in classic DC PSO, so...I dunno.

And, in most games that use the trigger buttons, you only have to push it a bit for it to register, usually enough for me, and no, most of the time you don't have to get it to click.

Also, I really hope either Nintendo or some other 3rd party developer makes a normal keyboard rather than that stupid keyboard controller thing o.0

Defend
Jul 2, 2002, 08:46 PM
Hmm.. I hope the triggers aren't too firm.. I'm yet to get a GC myself.
My skeleton button layout has Normal attack on X, and Heavy on RX. I could explain why I love it like this hehe.. but I won't. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I hope the GC pad doesn't make the releasing and re-pressing my style requires becoming annoying or too.. tiring, after a solid amount of hours playing.

Malkavian
Jul 3, 2002, 08:56 AM
If you could stand that shitty dc controller you will be more than ok with the gc one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wewt
Jul 3, 2002, 09:22 AM
Yeah, the GameCube controller is a lot better than the Dreamcast's. There's only 1 thing I don't like about it...the D-Pad. Not exactly the best pad for fighting games.

watashiwa
Jul 3, 2002, 09:26 AM
On 2002-07-02 18:46, Defend wrote:
I could explain why I love it like this hehe.. but I won't. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It doesn't turn you on or anything, does it? <.<

watashiwa
Jul 4, 2002, 01:59 AM
Although I hate posting after myself, I just wanted to update you and tell you that the C-button does infact also navigate menus just like the D-pad does. =)

I just use the D-pad still, though. Old habit. >.>

Kent
Jul 4, 2002, 02:52 PM
Bah...

I was hoping that they'd let you use the C-Stick to move the camera around like that trick in th DC games...

shinokou
Jul 5, 2002, 01:55 AM
damn it! that C-stick should have been for the camera...

<crosses fingers for this feature in final version>

Russta
Jul 5, 2002, 07:21 AM
I just hope I can get used to the ASCII pad as I want the conveinience of having a keyboard in my hands. My "keybaord setup" for the Dreamcast version is the keybaord on a Scattergories game box, that on top of an big empty toy box and that all on a large plastic store box. Not ideal but it's high enough to be comfortable.

Mindshare
Jul 5, 2002, 12:59 PM
I'd rather keep the C-stick doing exactly what it does now (i.e. navigating menus) rather than using it for camera movement.

Otherwise, it makes it very difficult to use menus whilst on the move (which I'm sure many experienced players do all the time). This is because the D-Pad and the main stick are next to each other and can't both be operated by the same hand.

This is especially important in C-mode where time is everything and stopping to use menus slows you down.

Camera movement might sound good, but frankly I think you'll use it once or twice just because its new and then forget all about it.

M.

SMOKU_9X
Jul 5, 2002, 01:04 PM
OFF TOPIC: Yes counting the months till SOUL CALIBUR 2 will be released for the Gamecube with Zelda as a hidden character. Hope Namco brings out another arcade stick, or I can buy another third-party.

Rubesahl
Jul 5, 2002, 01:05 PM
True. In DC I'd have to use the left hand driving and right hand navigating through the menus. This sure sounds to be a lot more comfortable.

Parn
Jul 5, 2002, 01:16 PM
It'd be smarter to throw camera controls onto another controller during single-player mode like what was done with PSO V2.

TIERREN
Jul 5, 2002, 01:21 PM
I remeber someone posting this in a similar topic but I wanted to know if its possible to use a regular GC controller on the 1P sockect and type by using the GC keyboard controller in the 2nd socket. Dont know if this was answered or not but I was just pretty much curious if it was possible to do that. If not...then.....