PDA

View Full Version : GC: DHCP???? Help

Whiteblood
Sep 27, 2004, 04:25 AM
when i try to connect to the internet, is tells me that "could not connect to the network.
Failed to create an IP address from DHCP
DHCP server may not exist or may be down"

just a few questions
1..Wot is the DHCP?
2..How do i get it to work?

plzzzzzz help

Rich_T
Sep 27, 2004, 04:24 PM
DHCP is the protocol thingy that makes the conection work, or something like that.

youve stated the problem, but nothing about how it could be cuased.
theres a sticky, near the top of this forum, asking you to describe the problems clearly.
without clear information about the problem, its not so easy to give a clear answer.

Also its helpful to list your Location, ( as in country, state/province/county and or region, as in USA - New York, UK - Hull, Ireland - Co.Kerry, etc)as different parts of the world use differetn conection methods, which can have an effect on how you set up the conection

If you have a cable internet conection, and your on broadband, and your conecting directly to a modem, try switching the modem on and off again, at the mains ( ie un plug it, and plug it in again)

VioletSkye
Sep 27, 2004, 04:44 PM
basically your ISP's DHCP server doesn't recognize the new device (BBA) asking for an IP. DO as Rich_T suggested and power cycle the modem (leave it off for at least 30 seconds to a minute.) Then plug it back in and try to connect, you should either be able to connect if it received an IP or it should give you the same error mesaage in which case you may need to call your ISP and have them manually register the MAC address for the BBA (which is located on the other side on a white sticker. It will be 12 characters long beginning with 000.) I'm wondering if you have cable service (possibly Comcast, Cox, Roadrunner or Charter.)