PDA

View Full Version : GBA-Yu-Gi-OH! Reshef of Destruction: Game review

Skuda
Sep 27, 2004, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I myself am a Yu-Gi-Oh!(I still think they should have stuck with duel monsters) fan. I have a deck, and kick serious Life Points with it. I have pretty much enjoyed all the Yu-Gi-Oh! games for the GBA... untill, Reshef of Destruction.

let's just say this game lacks everything but graphics and a decent story.

I'll start by ripping apart the battle system.

1. There is this element system put in place so that if you attack a monster who has an element weak to yours, it is automatically destroyed, and vice-versa. This, I assume, is one of your only hopes of beating this game.

This can also be a huge DISadvantage. example. I bring out my Beast of Talwar (two tribute monster). I am starting to kick so serious butt because the opponent hasn't been lucky enough to get their stronger monsters out. next turn. boom. my beast is killed from a monster of atleast half it's attack, and I end up loosing the battle.

2. The opponents in this game progress very quickly. They keep getting better and better cards, while you're stuck with only being able to use weak monsters with attacks less than 1000. your opponents on the other hand are pulling out monsters with atleast 1400 ATK on average.

Why is this? a horrible experience system was put into play. you gain 3 experience if you battle someone new, and one if you battle someone you've fought before. seems fine? not really. your duelist level is reflected on how many points you accumulate. you can only use cards that are equal or less than your duelist level. I'm more than half way through the game, and I'm only at about 130, while my oppenents seem to be at approximatly 999 (max I assume)

further, you can only put so many level points into your deck. I'm at about 7000 some and it goes up at the same rate as your duelist level. you can only have a total level of monsters equal to or less than your max.

this makes it harder for you to put your decently strong monsters into your deck. because if you do, you usually have to substitute some of them for extremely weak ones.

okay, that's pretty much all I have to say about the battle structure, now for the cards.

Some of the cards in this game do not reflect the actual card. most don't even have the effects they are supposed to have, and sometimes the attack points and defense points are changed from the actual cards.

The character sprites are somewhat decent. not as good as the background graphics. although, I must say, the main character you control, looks completely pathetic. he has a huge blue ball cap that covers more than half his head. he looks like a complete wimp, unlike what most duelists should be like( I think atleast).

To import your actual cards, you have to pay 1000 domino (currency) to access them. then you have to purchase them from Grandpa's gamestore for an outragious fee. then you have to take your duelist level into account. you probably won't be able to use that card for one hell of a long time.

*sigh*

now for some good points.

the background graphics are really amazing. realistic even. As soon as I started playing, I was in awe of how it looked. completely awe strucken. this is still 32 bit, and it looked far beyond 3D.

The characters Avitars look almost identical to the anime characters.

If you duel Yugi or Joey, they will also use voices when they execute certain commands.

The story is new, and very refreshing, although Yugi and Joey (whom are following oyu around) do next to nothing either than talk.

so, out of 5 stars, I give this game about a 1.5.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

This is one of those games you wish you had a gameshark or action replay for, or at least have the ROM for.

Kuda is dissapointed with Konami...

Skett
Sep 27, 2004, 08:45 PM
1.5/5? Wow, Konami didn't do too well with this game. If there is one thing Konami has not been able to do is create really great Yu-Gi-Oh games. Not up to Pokemon TCG level, anyways.

Hm, we can post reviews? Interesting, maybe I should post some of mine. It's the only thing I can do good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2004-09-27 18:46 ]</font>

Getintothegame
Sep 27, 2004, 09:18 PM
Well, this is off topic, so go ahead. It's nice to know what other games are out and what others think about them.

Anyway, I've never really been fond of any Yu-Gi-Oh things. My step brother might get it anyway, so I might end up playing it.

Plus, I've heard of horrible reviews for Beyblade the Game, and he absolutly loves the game.

Thanks for the review!

RavenTW
Sep 28, 2004, 06:38 AM
Reshef is good for one thing and one thing only: Boosting your DM deck. It's also friggin' hard. Matches at the beginning are just below your duel with Malak on Sacred Cards. And the EG cards have become old, especially with the new Legendary Dragons.

Zelutos
Sep 28, 2004, 11:36 PM
So...i wasted my money on that game for you? I hope you'll actually like PSO+ and Paper Mario 2 x.x;; i can't afford to waste my money x.x;;

RavenTW
Sep 29, 2004, 06:16 AM
Yes, yes you have.

Despite the crappyness of recent Yugioh gams, I am still hopeful for this new board game they're making. Maybe they'll actually have a tutorial!