PDA

View Full Version : PSO for GC, Free online play...

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 2, 2002, 10:36 PM
Before you start flaming and posting Listen. I am in no way saying it WILL be free. I'm simply stating that from the looks of things it might be free.

Reason Why I suspect Free Online play: When Ver,2 was going to hit the market Sega Anounced that it was goig to be pay to play. So Far no such anouncement has been made. I mean Sonic Team Already anounced that the Xbox version is going to be pay to play, and the game doesn't even come out for severak monthes. Meanwhile EpI&II is on it's way and nothing has been said. Nor have importers warned us about paying a special fee to play (which they have in the past).

I think is reasonable enough grounds to assume online play will be free for PSO EPI&II. What are your opinions one this? and your assumptions?

Zarana
Jul 2, 2002, 10:41 PM
I assume it will still be pay to play. I mean, in all honesty, we're talking about the Japanese version here. Ever since day one Hunters' Licenses have been the standard over there, and I see no reason why they would change it now. They have no need to make an announcement on it because, well, it's been commonplace since the beginning. In my opinion, the fact that we haven't heard anything about it should be confirmation that we WILL have to pay. As I recall, nobody (in Japan) was surprised when V2 had a Hunters' License, or PSO PC, so it begs to reason that nobody would be surprised about an HL on GCPSO. They probably haven't made an announcement because it's obvious.

In my opinion, at least.

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 2, 2002, 10:48 PM
You have a point but then again So do I. It can go either way. Hopefully I'll be right and we'll be able to play for free.

Rhete
Jul 2, 2002, 10:55 PM
On 2002-07-02 20:48, Javier_Von_Fenrir wrote:
Hopefully I'll be right and we'll be able to play for free.

Keep dreaming

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 2, 2002, 11:02 PM
You people are such fucking pessimists. Wouldn't Sonic Team make an anouncement since the game is moving from Dreamcast to Gamecube? They made one for Xbox (both Jap and US versions!) why not for the Cube version? You people need to read and realize that what I'm saying is reason enough to hope that PSO EpI&II might be Free.

Zarana
Jul 2, 2002, 11:08 PM
No need to curse at me. I'm just saying that, since it's Sonic Team we're dealing with, it might not be the best idea to get our hopes up. Let's not forget what happened those other five million times we expected Sonic Team to do the right thing...

Parn
Jul 2, 2002, 11:14 PM
I'd say the realization that free internet was a fantasy implies otherwise.

In case you hadn't noticed, a lot of what people took for granted for the last few years is no longer available. IGN and Gamespot provide only some of their content for free, while the rest is subscription based. I don't know if you were around, but a lot of free webspace providers bit the dust. Anyone remember Xoom? I sure do. Advertisers realized that ad banners aren't as effective as they once believed.

Free online gaming is disappearing REAL fast, just like the rest of the "free" stuff on the internet. People often quote Blizzard and Diablo II, but note that World of Warcraft is going to charge an online fee when it's released. Go figure.

Don't count on free online play. There's no money to be made by charging nothing for a continuously provided service that costs money to maintain.

HeeroX
Jul 2, 2002, 11:53 PM
uhhhhhh. For your information. If you can read japanese, You'd know it's not free. Check out some of the japanese PSO offical sites. It says that it's not free. For 30 days it's 5 dollars and sumtin cents. For 90 days it's 11 dollars and something cents. I thought I'd fill you in on this stuff. I don't post a lot of stuff here, because I'm usually at the FFXI fourms, RPGing with my anime friends.(I go there to RPG, get news on games, tell people about anime, and just talk) But, I'm loaded with information on PSOE1&2 I've already pre-ordered the import version also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HeeroX on 2002-07-02 21:55 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Jul 2, 2002, 11:56 PM
It will prolly be free in Japan and we will have to pay 15 dollars every time we log on. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Souljah
Jul 3, 2002, 01:07 AM
Most online RPGs are pay to play because the developers have to maintain the servers which costs money.

As far as PC games and pay to play, as long as CS and any other FPS games are free everything is chill.

OwenHimura
Jul 3, 2002, 02:42 AM
well i hope its free i would love the idea only problem PSO is not that type of game Sega is going to charge us i hate to say it but i dontr mind im use to it

ABDUR101
Jul 3, 2002, 03:37 AM
I myself don't care. I'm used to paying for stuff. I just hope they maintain the servers and give us some new god damn quests and downloads instead of handing out all the extra crap to the Japanese players and spoon-feeding us with a new quest "every so often".

If we're going to pay for it, we should atleast be treated as equals like all the others.

..it's been a long night http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

VariantXL
Jul 3, 2002, 04:21 AM
On 2002-07-03 01:37, ABDUR101 wrote:
I myself don't care. I'm used to paying for stuff. I just hope they maintain the servers and give us some new god damn quests and downloads instead of handing out all the extra crap to the Japanese players and spoon-feeding us with a new quest "every so often".

If we're going to pay for it, we should atleast be treated as equals like all the others.

..it's been a long night http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I agree wholeheartedly, its not like we are paying any less than they are. It would be foolish to do the same thing again with the gamecube and xbox versions cuz ppl will just stop playing out of anger. its not very fun to see ppl use weaps and mags that you cant get legally because of where you live.

BrokenHope
Jul 3, 2002, 05:51 AM
er it was reported on mamak and it's on the official trial website when the release date was announced on the trial website also. It's 1500 yen for 3 months.

Taken from mamaks website:

Gamecube PSO E1&E2 release date set!
Posted by: zwei
Credits: Official Gamecube support page

Title: Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2
Console: Nintendo Gamecube
Compatible with: Memory card, GBA cable, Broadband & Modem adapter, ASCII keyboard controller

Genre: Network RPG
Player: 1 - 4 players
Japanese Release date: August 8th 2002
Price: 6,800 yen (55USD)
Hunter License fee: 600yen/30 days (4.85USD) & 1500yen/90 days (12.13USD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LuvSlave on 2002-07-03 03:59 ]</font>

Greg
Jul 3, 2002, 09:33 AM
Reason Why I suspect Free Online play: When Ver,2 was going to hit the market Sega Anounced that it was goig to be pay to play. So Far no such anouncement has been made.

You sir are incorrect. The Hunters license was not intended to be announced by sega. A pic of the cover with 'credit card required for online play' on it was leaked from sega HQ before sega wanted to talk. This pissed sega off and made all sited that featured the cover art pull it. Sega then denied pay to play until shortly before the release.

watashiwa
Jul 3, 2002, 09:41 AM
This whole topic is pretty much null and void due to the point which was brought up earlier, the damn Sega website says the Gamecube version will feature a Hunter's License and even has the cost.

Now, although the cost is only for the Japanese version of the game, expect the US one to be the same or most likely a bit higher... just like version 2.

Sonic Team didn't like the fact that the US got version 1 for free in the first place, so why would they go give them something a whole lot better to play for free?

Common sense, people!

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 3, 2002, 10:11 AM
On 2002-07-03 01:37, ABDUR101 wrote:

You know, you read my mind. I bet I Wouldn't mind paying for the service if the service was decent. But what am I paying for, hmmm?

Cheaters Rampant, causing inflation with Rares!

Lousy Quests, which give you useless rares (most of the time) and must be done in Japanese.

Few Crap Extras Thrown in every Full Moon, just to keep us quiet.

I mean come on, the cheating and hacking got soo bad in Ver.2 People had created ways to turn your character into another one and found some way to alter thier text and say "Fuck".

Shrevn
Jul 3, 2002, 10:23 AM
Javier- let me give you a fact on this.
Why would sega tell people its pay to play straigh up before the game is even out in japan so they can start complaining? When they can keep it quiet and make people want it so bad that when they release the news that its pay to play YOUD want it so much youd still buy it-

Just like the fine print when you buy somenthing its always after youved bought it. Think about that

Malkavian
Jul 3, 2002, 10:50 AM
Er... you should read topic, like wata and luvslave said the pso episode 1&2 pay per play quote has been announced since before beta testing....

Wewt
Jul 3, 2002, 11:05 AM
You pay so that Sonic Team has the money to give you a good, secure server to play your damn game on. IF after your first HL has expired and you are not satisfactory with the service offered...then shut up and don't buy another HL, simple.

shinokou
Jul 5, 2002, 01:33 AM
i have a feeling the the service will be much more worth the money this time around, since its on GC... they have to show off to nintendo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ness
Jul 6, 2002, 02:56 PM
I don't care either way about pay to play. If it's free, thank God. If not then I'm willing to pay 5 dollars a month for online play. Question: Will Final Fantasy XI be pay to play.

Dangerous55
Jul 6, 2002, 03:10 PM
On 2002-07-06 12:56, Ness wrote:
Question: Will Final Fantasy XI be pay to play.

Answer: Nope, and every char is .75 cents + P2P.

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 6, 2002, 03:35 PM
On 2002-07-03 08:50, Malkavian wrote:
Er... you should read topic, like wata and luvslave said the pso episode 1&2 pay per play quote has been announced since before beta testing....

Yes I know, if you had enough logic to see the date when i made this topic you would've realised it was before the announcement was made.

Sedyne
Jul 6, 2002, 04:37 PM
Reasons why it will be pay to play:

People need to run the servers.
Updates, requires time therfore paying egineers to make more crap for it.

Reasons why it wouldn't be pay to play:
Sega decides to many people will stop playing online. <likely hood of that> ZERO

it's going to pay to play if anything....i'd bet my money on Xbox being free of charge only because..it's a older version and noone wants to pay to play. but for GC people will PAY if they mjust because they want it alot more. there....there's some god damn logick for you morons.

TeamPhalanx
Jul 6, 2002, 04:56 PM
People should read before posting replies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Alastor
Jul 6, 2002, 07:09 PM
I have never nor will I ever pay to play any game online. I have PSOV2 and have enjoyed it greatly offline. Yeah, I can't check out some of the new stuff that they added to it but I don't care. I bought the machine, the game, and the isp I will not pay to connect to their servers. I will be getting a Cube and PSO for it but just play it offline only. I'm not even going to waste my money on a modem for my PS2 or the Cube because of pay to play and the fact I can't get broadband in my area. I stopped playing PSO online do to all the hackers. I'm not about to loose 200+ hours worth of leveling up cause of some punk kid. There always has to be those people that mess things up for everyone else. So I have been enjoying it offline for the last several months. PSO is a sweet game, whether you play it online or offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alastor on 2002-07-07 08:29 ]</font>

StaticX
Jul 9, 2002, 06:00 PM
Dude.......in your dreams.

Greg
Jul 9, 2002, 06:51 PM
On 2002-07-06 17:09, Alastor wrote:
I have never nor will I ever pay to play any game online.

Wow, you'll be missing a lot of cool shit.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jul 10, 2002, 12:51 AM
On 2002-07-09 16:51, Greg wrote:

Really though....

Kent
Jul 10, 2002, 12:56 AM
As long as they try to keep cheating off the servers and I have a few friends online regularly, I don't give a damn whether it's pay-to-play or not.

However, if they let the Europeans play on thier servers for free but still make us pay, I know a good few people who're going to be pissed (me being one of them).

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 10, 2002, 02:04 AM
On 2002-07-03 08:23, wobba wrote:
Javier- let me give you a fact on this.
Why would sega tell people its pay to play straigh up before the game is even out in japan so they can start complaining?

No Smart Ass, let me tell you. Sega has officially announced that you'll have to pay to play. This topic was made before that anouncement. For some reason it's still up and running.

Alastor
Jul 10, 2002, 01:51 PM
I do not care if I miss out on a few things. Most games are still offline only so it's all good. As far as PSO goes the offline play is cool enough for me. Like I said before, I don't need some punk kid hacking my hundreds of hours of playing just so he or she can feel special or whatever. If Sonic Team can not stop hackers they should not charge for online play. That is just messed up.....

On 2002-07-09 22:51, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:

On 2002-07-09 16:51, Greg wrote:

Really though....

Wewt
Jul 10, 2002, 02:40 PM
On 2002-07-10 11:51, Alastor wrote:
I do not care if I miss out on a few things. Most games are still offline only so it's all good. As far as PSO goes the offline play is cool enough for me. Like I said before, I don't need some punk kid hacking my hundreds of hours of playing just so he or she can feel special or whatever. If Sonic Team can not stop hackers they should not charge for online play. That is just messed up.....

I'd like to thank you for staying offline, what the game needs less of isn't cheaters, it's the people that complain about tiny little things.

Shrevn
Jul 10, 2002, 06:46 PM
WOW you finally saw somenthing javier... so why cant you see this:

[b] YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY [/btheres no way around it.

Alastor
Jul 11, 2002, 11:13 AM
WWWWWWWWWWWW, little things??? You should know all about little things...... I do not see pay to play a little thing. Pay to play is for the birds,this just my opinion you don't like it that is your problem. Your probably one of those punk kids who go around PSO hacking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alastor on 2002-07-11 09:19 ]</font>

Wewt
Jul 11, 2002, 11:27 AM
On 2002-07-11 09:13, Alastor wrote:
WWWWWWWWWWWW, little things??? You should know all about little things...... I do not see pay to play a little thing. Pay to play is for the birds,this just my opinion you don't like it that is your problem. Your probably one of those punk kids who go around PSO hacking.

If you like playing online RPG games...you're gonna have to accept the fact of pay to play.
I never said I didn't like your opinion, all I said was thank you for staying offline.

The only "hacking" I do going around PSO is killing monsters and other people in battle mode.

Kaervek
Jul 12, 2002, 12:26 AM
On 2002-07-02 21:02, Javier_Von_Fenrir wrote:
You people are such fucking pessimists.

<defensive rant>Woah there pardner... you really should take a chill pill and ease up on the fowl language. From the way it looks in your posts, you had to look in the dictionary for that word. You shouldn't work so hard to sound so ignorant. </defensive rant>
I hope this post isn't taken as flamebait... he needs to be put in his place.

SkyHawkX
Jul 12, 2002, 01:29 AM
I second WWWWWWWWWWWW

Javier_Von_Fenrir
Jul 12, 2002, 02:44 AM
On 2002-07-10 16:46, wobba wrote:
WOW you finally saw somenthing javier... so why cant you see this:

[b] YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY [/btheres no way around it.

Listen you arrogant fuck. How many times do I have to post that "I already know theres pay to play, and that this topic was made before that announcement" Learn to read posts before typing up your own stupid post.

Last_Saiyan
Jul 12, 2002, 06:10 PM
The Bottom Line is that if GC version won't pay then it destroyed the whole idea and basis for ver.2 for the Dreamcast to ever had a pay to play. Since Nintendo is a family orientated system, they don't want to come straight out with the pay to play... rather, they want to announce features and the bells and whistles then when they hook you in, the pay comes next. I used to sell cars and if I come straight out about the price of a car then I'd get no sale. You sell the benefits then be subtle about the catches...makes sense?

Wren
Jul 12, 2002, 08:26 PM
hehe...Javier_Von_Fenrir is unhappy that people make his post look stupid