PDA

View Full Version : Music Rant...this one kid rant...9er

AUTO_
Sep 27, 2004, 06:49 PM
OK, not really even sure where I'm going with this rant, but I kind of just needed to let this come out.

There's this senior kid I hang out with (I have some classes with him), and we talk about music a lot.

He really likes EMO (basically my entire highschool is EMO fans), and he really likes pop-rock (even though he doesn't classify it as that).

Some of the bands he likes would be:

Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Yellowcard----basically anything you'd find at a warped tour.

AnnNnyywaaays.

Today in study hall (we always listen to our CD players in study hall), he came over while my headphones were blaring and said:

"Yo dude is that the new Taking Back Sunday CD?"

I said "No", but by my facial expression and tone, I guess it was obvious that I didn't like Taking Back Sunday.

"You don't like Taking Back Sunday?"

"No, not a huge fan. Don't really like any emo music, honestly."

He looks at me like he's seen a pink rhino fucking a penguin in the street and then mentions:

"Have you ever heard of Ben Kweller?"

"Yes"

"You like him right?"

"No, not really".

I think what he said next is the whole reason I made this rant. He says:

"Damn dude you're so deprived."

OK, this about drove me up a fucking wall but somehow I maintained my composure. This kid has a 50 CD case laying in front of me that I'm flipping through that's full of bands that will be forgotten in 2 years that every dumb fuck in my school thinks is amazing.

It pissed me off royally.

Next he adds:

"So like, what DO you listen too?"

I didn't even feel like I should give a response, like he was saying there's no music outside of emo and "TRL rock".

I guess why I'm writing this is because I know they're so many other clones just like this around the world I've never met, and it makes me sad in general.

If you like Taking Back Sunday, Midtown, etc...that's great, I won't shit on that parade for no reason---but when you tell me I'm DEPRIVED of music for not liking these bands--you deserve to get punched in the face.

I later tell him that all EMO sounds the same, and he goes on by telling me that a lot of emo bands are "really talented". I guess our spectrums of talent are a little different then.

I should slap this poor soul. If you're going to throw musical skill into the mix--you've only burried yourself deeper.

I'm sorry, but on the grand scheme of musicians, bands like TBS, The Used, Yellowcard...they're not talented.

Their next CD's will sound just like their old CD's, their musical compositions aren't brain-fuck material (pretty evident too when about every band under this category sounds the same), and it's not like the next Used-like band will revolutionize something in the music industry.

I get so sick of seeing stupid fucks wander my school halls who wear assrock T-shirts, but couldn't fucking name you one Jimi Hendrix song if you asked them.

They're fucking morons.

I've been in arguments with some people who have told me that Hoobastank's drummer is better and has equally "cool" drum parts then Jimmy Chamberlin (The Smashing Pumpkins).

Anyone who has a fucking cent worth of musical knowledge would discard someone like that as a fucking idiot, but that's the problem:

MY SCHOOL HAS A LOT OF FUCKING IDIOTS.

That's another part of this rant:

Kids these days don't know shit about music. They don't know musics roots, they don't know where music styles even came from, and they try to bullshit arguments with music they like with vague statements that are good enough to sound valid with the rest of their fucking clones.

Like I said, I didn't know where I was going with this rant, but I think I liked it.

KaFKa
Sep 27, 2004, 07:05 PM
thats sad. really sad.

i say let him listen to Purple Haze or something else from Jimi Hendrix. dont tell him who it is, just let him listen to it. if he doesent know who it is or at least recognizes the talent, then you have my full consent to drag him into the street and beat him. then let that pink rhino rape him.

Shattered_weasel
Sep 27, 2004, 07:15 PM
Auto...Come get a hug. You have said what has happened to me over many a years.

"Do you know who Kurt Cobain is?"

"yes..."

"You like him..."

"Not really..."

"OMGWTFXOR YOU ARE TEH SUCK YOU SHOULD TEH DIE!!!!!!!"

*Puts back on his Celldweller CD"

Aredhel
Sep 27, 2004, 07:25 PM
This rant would make more sense if you weren't so biased, yourself. What makes you think that just because you like something that's old and labeled as 'classic' that you have some almight right to claim? Some people do not like Jimi Hendrix's music. Some people don't like Emo. It's (obviosuly) just a matter of personal tastes. And why would you get so pissed at him calling you deprived? Perhaps you were afraid of this comment because, deep in your mind, you know it's true. Hmm? You've heard music played by some bands considered emo. That's just greeeat - I'm sure he's heard music played by Jimi Hendrix before (who hasn't?) and just didn't find it to his liking at the time. No need to get offended or BE offensive just because your music is *obviously* better than his is. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'm sure what he meant was, you're deprived of the same feeling he has. Most of us find something deeper in the music, something beyond the melodies and lyrics, something that touches a part of our essence deep down. There is a passion that exists between the music and the listener and it's common for people to get offended when somebody doesn't like their type of music - it's like they're saying they don't like them, or at least, a mjaor part of them. Was it right for him to be offended because you don't like emo? Nah. But it also isn't right for you to get all uppity just because he (allegedley) doesn't know much about classic rock.

KodiaX987
Sep 27, 2004, 08:29 PM
Kill those friends or get away from them. If they're gonna be dumbfucks around you, you'd better just not have 'em at all!

Link00seven
Sep 27, 2004, 10:18 PM
I have to deal with the same shit man. Everyone in my school is all "OMFG RAP IS TEH BEST OMFG!" I guess that just comes with living in Detroit...*sigh*

I, on a daily basis, deal with kids asking "dude did you hear the new tune on 97.9FM (rap crap station)" and I always reply with "Rap sucks...give me my Rock and Jazz" and then I get a nice lecture on how Rap is better, which it isnt. That stupid shit isnt music. It's a kindagarden poem, with a few swear words added in.

If any of you are interested in my music collection, take a look. http://www.psocc.vonetwork.com/playlist.htm

BogusKun
Sep 27, 2004, 10:44 PM
OldSchool HipHop > Rap http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Eihwaz
Sep 27, 2004, 11:39 PM
I hear you, brother.

Most of my friends listen to stuff like Led Zeppelin. That's fine - I actually like a few of their songs. But personally, I have far more ecletic tastes in music, things like Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Eurythmics, assorted J-Rock/techno/trance/etc. They constantly call stuff like J-Rock "fake", and also whine about how "anyone can make a techno song in an hour on the computer."

J-Rock's fake is it? It's not popular? Never FUCKING mind I have a live video that shows a whole CONVENTION center FILLED with J-Rock fans, cheering as their band plays. Anyone can make a techno song in an hour? Let's see you fucking make one that doesn't suck.

But yeah, your situation is worse, since it seems that mose of the people at your school only like fad, popular, current music...

And reading this rant SO made me want to buy a Daft Punk T-Shirt. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Evil_Althena8
Sep 28, 2004, 12:23 AM
i'm not really fond of any popular bands. I have to say I AM fond of yellowcard, however. Not because they're famous or I saw them on TRL. And I'm not some high school kid either who's all emo or anything. I listen to a lot of other kinds of music.

AUTO_
Sep 28, 2004, 12:49 AM
On 2004-09-27 17:25, Aredhel wrote:
And why would you get so pissed at him calling you deprived? Perhaps you were afraid of this comment because, deep in your mind, you know it's true. Hmm?
It wasn't the kind of pissed you're thinking of--it was the kind of pissed when someone makes an ignorant statement. It made me pissed that he thought I was deprived with what I listen to when I find his music tastes dull--which they are.

Regardless of what he likes--all of them fall into the same category. So by calling me deprived, it's kind of like he's kicking his own ass don't you think?

Was it right for him to be offended because you don't like emo? Nah. But it also isn't right for you to get all uppity just because he (allegedley) doesn't know much about classic rock.

Being a huge classic rock buff wasn't my angle there--I was trying to show his music knowledge is close to dick. He praises bands that couldn't breathe the same air as many bands (I used Hendrix/old music because he knows jackshit about it), and that's not being biased. That's honest musical facts. If anyone wants to argue that say, Taking Back Sunday is better musically then Jimi Hendrix, I'm open to hear that response.

pixelate
Sep 28, 2004, 01:51 AM
I hope no one's under the impression that because something is old that it's naturally better than what's going on now.

I hope no one's under the impression that because something is popular that it's naturally better than what's not popular.

If you are under those impressions, then is racism good?

Aredhel
Sep 28, 2004, 08:10 AM
On 2004-09-27 23:51, pixelate wrote:
I hope no one's under the impression that because something is old that it's naturally better than what's going on now.

I hope no one's under the impression that because something is popular that it's naturally better than what's not popular.

+1

I see what you're saying, Auto - and I'll admit that I misunderstood your rant to a small degree, but musical taste is NEVER fact. You're angle may not have been taste in classic rock (that's subjective anyways) but your angle certainly was knowledge in so-called "classic" rock music. In which case, I think you're being a bit of a snob http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Just because someone isn't a movie critic that's seen every movie made and knows everything about every movie made doesn't mean that they don't have a right to a well-formed opinion. You can comfortably walk out of any movie and say "that movie sucked" or "that movie was great!" and both opinions don't take years and years of accumulated knowledge and experience to form. Admittedley, it's much more advantageous to have a wide knowledge of music, so as not to be sheltered (as this guy you're describing seems to be) but it doesn't make you an authority on the subject who can effectively judge other people's tastes.

I listen to trance, I can't stand to listen to a lot of classic rock - though I still admit that classical music (both semi-modern and semi-ancient) has helped to shape the music of today. But don't live in the past just to uphold some sort of archaic rock formula - it's just the wrong reason. Tastes will change, and styles will evolve - it's merely the way of things. The music we consider classic now may be completely forgotten years down the road, though its imprint upon history will remain forever. Don't deify something merely because it's old (which I'm sure you don't), just deify it because you LOVE the music. This applies to all tastes - embrace the music and it will bring you to a new understanding of life and beyond.

Outrider
Sep 28, 2004, 01:20 PM

I just wanted to reiterate what pixelate said, cause personally, a lot of people I know don't seem to understand this.

And I've heard a lot of Led Zeppelin fans who don't understand this either.

darthsaber9x9
Sep 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
on the subject of musical ability, you really have no way of knowing how good the musicians actually are. I mean, they may be supr uber guitarists to the standard of van halen, their bassist may have the skills of victor wooten, but they don't show it.

maybe the feel they can make good music without technical proficiency. Until you have seen them demonstrate thier skills to you privately, you really dont know how good they are. I mean whose to say that a song using about 3 different power chords is any better then some extreme soloing?

WHo'se to say anything is better?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif NOTHING IS BETTER, TIS ALL JUST OPINIONS http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

in case you ddn't guess, im a musician myself

AUTO_
Sep 29, 2004, 12:05 AM

Just to clarify: That has nothing to do with my fucking rant.

True statement, once again, has nothing to do with my rant. It's ironic if it's directed at me specifically anyways, because bands like Taking Back Sunday are more popular to young rock audiences then someone like Hendrix.

OK, I have to clear something up.

Specifically to Aredhel.

My rant:

Has nothing. to do. with fucking. classical. music.

I used Hendrix as an example (WHO HOLY FUCK IS NOW CLASSIC ROCK), simply because musically, bands like TBS are nowhere near the same fucking playing field as he was musically.

And that's not opinion. Musically, he is a better musician. Preferance to who you like makes no difference, I used him as an example because he's more talented.

I'll say this one last time:

My rant had nothing to fucking do with classic rock or classic music. My rant has nothing to do with classic rock being better then new rock.

[/paste][/paste][/paste]...

navci
Sep 29, 2004, 02:03 AM
I think Auto's rant is about how he is annoyed with this "friend" of his who, upon finding out Auto didn't like the music he like, frowned upon it and call him "Deprived"

So it is actually a stupid people rant.

But pix has valid points, even though unrelated, is still valid.

Subliminalgroove
Sep 29, 2004, 02:13 AM
I think the ultimate solution here is:

All music sucks. We should shove long sticks into our ears rendering us virtually deaf.

Then we can all be friends with people who like music we don't.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Alielle
Sep 29, 2004, 03:26 AM
People shouldn't argue about music at all. The fact that they do makes me want to stab them all with forks. Seriously, who cares about your musical tastes? Only those who are so shallow that they can think of nothing else to connect to you with. There's nothing wrong with discussions about music, but constructive conversation is over when it comes to the point where they're saying you're "deprived."

Like what you like. No one else will feel exactly the same way you do about anything, be it music, art, movies, food... whatever. People who don't understand this get all pissy when others can't appreciate something exactly the way they do. I always wonder why some people want others to be them so badly.

I am especially annoyed by people who base an entire lifestyle and attitude around a style of music, like it's the be-all, end-all of existance. Think no one's gonna be laughing at you in ten years? (And hell, I'm not even waiting that long.) Emo kids need to get over themselves. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh well. I guess without a focus like that, we'd all have to think a bit harder about what makes our existences worthwhile. Oh no, thinking!!!

Ness
Sep 29, 2004, 05:50 AM
I agree with Aredhel on this issue. Since when was someone's taste in music considered fact? People will listen to what they want to listen to and what you think is godsend may only be worth a hill of crap to someone else.

For example, I dislike rap. Out of all the gneres out there, I hate rap the most. I think the artist are a bunch of cheap bangwagon hoppers. However, just because I think rap sucks doesn't make it a fact. There are several people that love rap and don't listen to anything else but it, but that doesn't make rap the best genre in the world either.

As for Jimi Hendrix, I think he sucks, but I'm not a fan of "classic" rock or rock in general.

geewj
Sep 29, 2004, 07:30 AM
I think his main point here was this.

You might not like anything Beethoven ever did, but you have to admit that it was musical. You have to admit that it was music.

Jimi Hendrix played music in the same way. He was playing music.

Many of the bands he is refering to that he can't stand are only partly about the music, and the rest about the image. Many of the songs sound similar, and have lyrics all say almost the exact same thing. Not that they don't know how to play the guitar or drums or anything, but that they are playing the same song over and over, with a different toon and a well used thesaurus. And to him, these don't classify as music. And when someone says he's deprived for not liking the music, it's like someone telling a Da Vinci art collector they are deprived for not liking Garfeild.

Or to make an example more people can relate to. It's like someone calling me deprived because I prefer Link to the Past over Grand Theft Auto.

At least that is somewhat how I imagine he means it. The examples may have been a little extreme, but eh.

Aredhel
Sep 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
On 2004-09-28 22:05, AUTO_ wrote:

My rant:

Has nothing. to do. with fucking. classical. music.

Ah, but it does. You seem to have these convictions that because you like Jimi Hendrix and classic rock, you are the know-all end-all of musical knowledge and taste. Mereley because he defines classic rock in a modern consideration? Nah - that's not important. It's the fact that you were this cold asshole to someone merely because they had a taste in music they were trying to relate to you on. You didn't like it (emo) so you gave him very detached responses until he had to call you 'deprived' just to get a reaction out of you. Music is about communication, and people will take this to great heights sometimes, regardless of the style. You seemingly felt that your music was better (naturally) so you had no need to relate to him on any levels. You are 'deprived' in a way because you have limited your taste to a category that holds great esteem - why, I do not know. What's important is that you realize your privation in the matter due to circumstances out of your control - namely, other peoples taste in music regardless of your own judgement.

I used Hendrix as an example (WHO HOLY FUCK IS NOW CLASSIC ROCK), simply because musically, bands like TBS are nowhere near the same fucking playing field as he was musically.

And that's not opinion. Musically, he is a better musician. Preferance to who you like makes no difference, I used him as an example because he's more talented.

My point exactly.

I'll say this one last time:

My rant had nothing to fucking do with classic rock or classic music. My rant has nothing to do with classic rock being better then new rock.

Maybe not - it's a people piece, I understand that. You don't like the person and their statement because it *almost* made you realize something about yourself. Thus, you came here to rant about it because you can't be deprived - there's no way, no how. How could somebody who likes Jimi Hendrix be deprived? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I will say that you are deprived of perspective - or more accurately, reprived. You fail to see what others see in their music - delaying trust until the moment when they see what is in yours as well. Does this not sound a bit selfish? Music is about expression; either to oneself or to others, musical expression is a truthful formula. Tried and true, music is just better when artists are completely honest about it - music that is meant to last will always be the pieces that come from the heart of the performer, everything else is just cheap crap that won't last into the realms of being 'classic.' If this classic music by any means is honesty in expression, and people have honest expressions of how they feel (about ANY kind of music) what exactly seperates your musical opinions from others?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-09-29 08:05 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Sep 29, 2004, 05:59 PM
I should look up this 'EMO' music, it seems to be very unpopular around these boards, and I really have no idea what it is http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Solution:- Lock him in a room and play some James Brown full blast http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ...and maybe some Frou Frou or Norah Jones to cool him down after http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Alielle
Sep 30, 2004, 04:05 AM
Jesus. Aradhel, man, you need some Resist/Pretension++. The original rant was about the trendy bandwagoners who've probably never even bothered to check out anything beyond the scope of the talentless soundalike hacks that MTV spoonfeeds them. (Prof_Frink's da Vinci/Garfield example was great.) And I hope you're not one of those people that defaults to the hippy-ass argument "everything is subjective," but you seem to enjoy taking that stance so you can pontificate to us unwashed masses from Mt. Moral High Ground. Save us from ignorance o holy smart one!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2004-09-30 02:18 ]</font>

Aredhel
Sep 30, 2004, 07:47 AM
On 2004-09-30 02:05, Alielle wrote:
Jesus. Aredhel, man

Are you saying I'm somehwere in between?

The original rant was about the trendy bandwagoners who've probably never even bothered to check out anything beyond the scope of the talentless soundalike hacks that MTV spoonfeeds them.

Probably? You don't know that. You just assume that because somebody listens to poular music that they are a 'drone of the media,' neverminding that because they listen to that type of music, that they have feelings about it. You can say all you want about how 'trandy and cookie-cutter' their music is, but to what degree I ask you? How is it that you all of a sudden rose to actualize the degree of musical talent required to create something new and original? There is nothing new under the sun, so let the people listen to their goddamn music. Nobody cares if you're into Indie rock because it hasn't gone "mainstream" or if you make music yourself and like th eobscure titles. Liking music that nobody else does is not an excuse for your individuality - it does not make you a unique little snowflake among leagues of puppets. You are not special because you listen to music nobody has ever heard of/likes - just get over it.

And I hope you're not one of those people that defaults to the hippy-ass argument "everything is subjective," but you seem to enjoy taking that stance so you can pontificate to us unwashed masses from Mt. Moral High Ground. Save us from ignorance o holy smart one!

So glad you're here to tell it to me straight. Now I KNOW that you have the truth, since, according to you, everything is not subjective. So out with it. Let's hear how everything is not the subject of our perception. Or would you like to hide some more behind your sarcasm and labels?

KodiaX987
Sep 30, 2004, 08:55 AM
Alielle wins.

Alielle
Sep 30, 2004, 11:27 AM
On 2004-09-30 05:47, Aredhel wrote:

Probably? You don't know that. You just assume that because somebody listens to poular music that they are a 'drone of the media,' neverminding that because they listen to that type of music, that they have feelings about it. You can say all you want about how 'trandy and cookie-cutter' their music is, but to what degree I ask you?

To the degree that MTV and radio idolizes them simply because they fit the exact requirements for popularity at the moment. How ironic for its exclusive fans to call someone else "deprived."

Like I said earlier, I don't give a crap what you like, but don't go around telling people they're "deprived" when the only stuff you've been exposed to is TRL.

The person described in the original post had a CD wallet full of that stuff. They're not going home and listening to Reba or Led Zeppelin or Beethoven.

How is it that you all of a sudden rose to actualize the degree of musical talent required to create something new and original?

I never said talent was necessary to create something new and original.

There is nothing new under the sun, so let the people listen to their goddamn music. Nobody cares if you're into Indie rock because it hasn't gone "mainstream" or if you make music yourself and like th eobscure titles. Liking music that nobody else does is not an excuse for your individuality - it does not make you a unique little snowflake among leagues of puppets. You are not special because you listen to music nobody has ever heard of/likes - just get over it.

Preach it to the choir.

Might wanna see the post I made earlier in this thread.

So glad you're here to tell it to me straight. Now I KNOW that you have the truth, since, according to you, everything is not subjective. So out with it. Let's hear how everything is not the subject of our perception. Or would you like to hide some more behind your sarcasm and labels?

Water is wet. Some girls are bigger than others. Some people have more musical skill than a potato.

What color is the sky in your world?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2004-09-30 09:28 ]</font>

WraithVerge
Sep 30, 2004, 01:38 PM
Off-topic for a moment:

To a certain few, we're not here to criticize Auto for getting angry about being called 'deprived'! It was just a bad thing said at the wrong moment. Happens to us all on occasion when for some odd reason an insult, half of the time minor, slips under the skin and stabs at your heart. No one can prevent injury there, no matter how hard you try to wall it up. Let THAT issue go since the topic is not about that. He can deal with it himself.

On-topic: While I respect this debate, I'm not going to get involved since I'm not completely sure what the issue is about anymore. I will say this, however: I like what music I like, regardless of whether or not that person/band is talented. I'm open for suggestions to other bands since I find I like a lot of different types.

Also, someone comparing the top Rap singer to the top Country singer and saying "The Rap singer has more talent"... that's just wrong. Two completely different types of music that boils down to what you like to listen to, not talent.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-09-30 11:39 ]</font>

Aredhel
Sep 30, 2004, 03:58 PM
I am so not up for the proliferation of this quote war - especially when we seem to restating the same points over and over. This thread has been lost into the depths of... a lot of different things - I guess one might call it conversational development, but those sorts of threads tend to get locked around here. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Auto likes his music. Another person likes a different music. Auto thinks that because he likes his music, he has no reason to socially connect on this level to the other person - the other pserson seems to think the same way, only this other person calls Auto 'deprived.' It may be a false statement in that context, it may be true - either way, neither party is correct in their musical taste, because musical taste is so broad. This is what I mean by subjection - you have preference, your preference in perception and reaction defines who you are as an individual. Many people have misconceptions that their preference seems to affect others as well - this is the point Alielle made earlier - nobody cares about your musical preference, so don't even bother sharing. That's just great and all, but it lacks feeling - the complete opposite of what music is supposed to convey. It's now become a sort of perceptual war about what music in general means to a single person - a retarded argument to begin with that somehow made itself to 2 pages. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nobody can define what music means to another person, and though I tried to publicly recognize the errors in thinking that you can, and stay real general about things, my argument allowed too much of me into it. This was unavoidable with such an important thing in my life as music is - I believe it is my drive to get up each morning and to stare into the moon on warm, silent nights. It's important to me. Some fail to recognize this (Alielle) and would rather ridicule those who love their music- they are the only deprived ones here, the ones who cannot see other people's love in spite of inhibitions like what they're going to look like 10 years from now. This is where subjection comes in yet again - I choose to view music as a passionate facet of my life, others choose to ignore this and mock and flame what they cannot understand or grasp with indescribable feeling.

That's just great and all, doesn't change how people view their music either which way. So despite all of these posts I've made, never trying to "win" anything , we're back at square 1. Imagine that, perception and subjection wins again because people will continue to like what they like in regard to their own personality - they create their feasible reality through experience and preference, thus nullifying all doubtable resources such as people on Internet boards. It has nothing to do with big girls, or wet water, or my vanilla skies - it has only to do with people's preference and the walls we make around ourselves. Only when you take down those walls will you understand what it means to love.

I'm done.

Alielle
Sep 30, 2004, 07:11 PM
Way to not address anything I said. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Yes, okay, you don't need to keep reiterating that everyone likes different things. Motherfucking duh.
It's your prerogative to enjoy whatever the hell you want. I never said otherwise. That doesn't mean you automatically earn my burning admiration, especially if you've never listened to anything outside of one genre.

I also never said that no one should ever talk about music, but if it makes you feel better, make up whatever you want. You seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth, so be my guest. I'm too deprived to recognize the "love" of the kid who bought their nonprescription emo glasses at Hot Topic yesterday. I ridicule people who love their music, and I'll never appreciate musical expression. I don't understand what it means to love. I also kill puppies on the weekends and sell their organs on the black market.

I love music, just as most human beings do. It's too bad you consider yourself so superior that you can't believe I could feel the same way.

In short, you've missed the point so many times. But, whatever. I would say more but I guess I'm just too dumb to understand. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

geewj
Sep 30, 2004, 08:11 PM
Aredhel, you are missing the point. It's a simple topic with a simple point.

A guy asks Auto if he likes emo music.

Auto says he doesn't. It's not that auto refuses to listen emo, even once, or anything like that. Auto doesn't like it because he doesn't like the sound, the lyrics, the message, or the image. Also, he finds that almost all the songs that fall within this genere seems like almost the exact same thing, just re-done. Auto has seen what emo has to offer him, and doesn't like it.

The guy asks what Auto does like.

Auto goes on to list some of the kinds of music he does like, none of it being emo.

The guy says auto is deprived because he doesn't listen to emo.

Now, the problem with your stance here...

Some fail to recognize this (Alielle) and would rather ridicule those who love their music- they are the only deprived ones here, the ones who cannot see other people's love in spite of inhibitions like what they're going to look like 10 years from now.

In the very simple senario above, who was it that made any sort of asumption about the other person?

Auto is not mad that the guy likes emo. This rant isn't about emo.

This rant is about the fact that the guy called auto deprived. In the rant Auto goes on to explain his opinion on why he is not deprived. His opinion on why it is emo isn't the music for him. His opinion on what it would mean to be deprived concerning music.

Lets make an example.

In the example auto's music will be cake, And the other guys music will be poop (as such because it is meant to convey, once again, auto's opinion).

Auto eats cake, he loves cake. They guy asks Auto what his favorite time of day to eat poop is. Auto says he doesnt eay poop, he eats cake. Auto tells him he doesn't like poop. The guy says Auto is depreived for it.

Now, it may be the other guys opinion that emo is the cake and Auto's music is the poop, but Auto was not the one trying to force his opinion on the guy by calling him deprived. He may think that the guy is deprived for only eating poop, but he is not going to try to force his opinion on him.

You are acting like auto is the one who was walking up to people and letting them know that they are deprived, when it was the other way around. So Auto came to rant about it and express, not force, his opinion in Rants. Simply for the sake of letting out his aggression and expressing his opinion in an environment where no one was specifically being asked a queston, forced to reply, personaly judged, or would feel specifically targeted by Auto. A completely null and void enviroment.

So all your points were valid and well thought out, ...but you need to go tell the guy that called auto deprived. Cause out of everyone involved in the scenario, including people who have posted responses, the only ones trying to force their opinion on anyone are you two.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prof_Frink on 2004-09-30 18:17 ]</font>

Aredhel
Sep 30, 2004, 08:34 PM
On 2004-09-29 01:26, Alielle wrote:

I am especially annoyed by people who base an entire lifestyle and attitude around a style of music, like it's the be-all, end-all of existance. Think no one's gonna be laughing at you in ten years? (And hell, I'm not even waiting that long.)

Wha? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Maybe I'm just over-interpereting things, but I happen to think music is pretty damn important. This statement showcases how you feel about music and is teetering on the edge of condemning those who partake of any sort of style - after all, what's the point of participating in anything if it's going to be laughable in 10 years? Truthfully, we're both putting words down each other's throat and I'm quite through doing that.

This discussion was led into turmoil when I called Auto 'deprived' - I didn't mean it in the same way that the other kid did, and I also said that both were wrong - The kid was wrong for saying it and Auto was wrong for not admitting it. Maybe I just have far too high expectations for the humility of others sometimes - I can't help it, it just comes with the optimistic view of the human race; people like this just seem to set me into disappointment. Keep in mind, I did not call Auto deprived in the same sense the emo child did - I said Auto was deprived of connection - maybe I just read things wrong, but if the dialogue Auto wrote in the original post was accurate, he was just a bit of a downer when it came to music, especially other people's. I'm sorry if this proliferated into something more than it was inteded to, as I am partly to blame for it - it's just what happens when you try to make points over the internet sometimes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

If you look closely at my post, you'll find that I addressed your points, Alielle - I just chose not to stretch out the UI by quoting you at every sentence because I have a strong dislike of quote wars.

Yes, I'm trying to cram my opinion on universal truth down people's throats - take it with a grain of salt and independence and maybe some of you won't get so bent out of shape on what I say. After all, what I have said is that your opinion matters the most, regardless of others (though not completely isolated thereof). Just listen to your music and be happy.

And what's with the puppy organ-harvesting? That's GOT to be illegal...

WraithVerge
Sep 30, 2004, 11:50 PM
This rant is about the fact that the guy called auto deprived.

That's exactly where I got confused, wondering why this music debate was going on... guess that debate is what hi-jacked the thread o_0

dude3282
Oct 1, 2004, 07:39 PM
Frink wins.

HotWaterDeath
Oct 1, 2004, 10:10 PM
On 2004-09-27 16:49, AUTO_ wrote:
OK, not really even sure where I'm going with this rant, but I kind of just needed to let this come out.

There's this senior kid I hang out with (I have some classes with him), and we talk about music a lot.

He really likes EMO (basically my entire highschool is EMO fans), and he really likes pop-rock (even though he doesn't classify it as that).

Some of the bands he likes would be:

Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Yellowcard----basically anything you'd find at a warped tour.

AnnNnyywaaays.

Today in study hall (we always listen to our CD players in study hall), he came over while my headphones were blaring and said:

"Yo dude is that the new Taking Back Sunday CD?"

I said "No", but by my facial expression and tone, I guess it was obvious that I didn't like Taking Back Sunday.

"You don't like Taking Back Sunday?"

"No, not a huge fan. Don't really like any emo music, honestly."

He looks at me like he's seen a pink rhino fucking a penguin in the street and then mentions:

"Have you ever heard of Ben Kweller?"

"Yes"

"You like him right?"

"No, not really".

I think what he said next is the whole reason I made this rant. He says:

"Damn dude you're so deprived."

OK, this about drove me up a fucking wall but somehow I maintained my composure. This kid has a 50 CD case laying in front of me that I'm flipping through that's full of bands that will be forgotten in 2 years that every dumb fuck in my school thinks is amazing.

It pissed me off royally.

Next he adds:

"So like, what DO you listen too?"

I didn't even feel like I should give a response, like he was saying there's no music outside of emo and "TRL rock".

I guess why I'm writing this is because I know they're so many other clones just like this around the world I've never met, and it makes me sad in general.

If you like Taking Back Sunday, Midtown, etc...that's great, I won't shit on that parade for no reason---but when you tell me I'm DEPRIVED of music for not liking these bands--you deserve to get punched in the face.

I later tell him that all EMO sounds the same, and he goes on by telling me that a lot of emo bands are "really talented". I guess our spectrums of talent are a little different then.

I should slap this poor soul. If you're going to throw musical skill into the mix--you've only burried yourself deeper.

I'm sorry, but on the grand scheme of musicians, bands like TBS, The Used, Yellowcard...they're not talented.

Their next CD's will sound just like their old CD's, their musical compositions aren't brain-fuck material (pretty evident too when about every band under this category sounds the same), and it's not like the next Used-like band will revolutionize something in the music industry.

I get so sick of seeing stupid fucks wander my school halls who wear assrock T-shirts, but couldn't fucking name you one Jimi Hendrix song if you asked them.

They're fucking morons.

I've been in arguments with some people who have told me that Hoobastank's drummer is better and has equally "cool" drum parts then Jimmy Chamberlin (The Smashing Pumpkins).

Anyone who has a fucking cent worth of musical knowledge would discard someone like that as a fucking idiot, but that's the problem:

MY SCHOOL HAS A LOT OF FUCKING IDIOTS.

That's another part of this rant:

Kids these days don't know shit about music. They don't know musics roots, they don't know where music styles even came from, and they try to bullshit arguments with music they like with vague statements that are good enough to sound valid with the rest of their fucking clones.

Like I said, I didn't know where I was going with this rant, but I think I liked it.

There you guys go again, preaching the "E" word and all that jazz. Gracious, I know I'm late in the game on this one...but if I can stress one thing, and one thing alone, it is that none of those bands that kid listed are NOT post-punk/post-hardcore (or "emo" as Time magazine likes to describe it). Granted TBS is without a doubt heavily influenced by Lifetime (Although they're definitely a third-rate Lifetime hack....Lifetime a band which countless others have tried to emulate over the years....*cough* Saves The Day...all failing miserably).

Seriously, this kid (The one Auto mentioned) wouldn't know his roots from his friggin' refrigerator. He is yet another victim of the MTV target market, AP reading, zombie mass. Next time you see him, ask him about the "Revolution Summer", Moss Icon, and some Husker Du. I'm sure he'll "know" exactly what you're talking about. Uh huh.

For the record I'm sure the gents in TBS would laugh at notion of their music having more sway than any Jimi Hendrix record. I know if I was in a third-rate "cover" band, I definitely be laughing at that notion as well.

If any of you are looking to check out the "real-deal" with the post-punk form/movement, feel free to check out these bands:

Rites of Spring
Embrace
Husker Du
Fugazi
Jawbreaker
Heroin
Mohinder
Indian Summer
Envy
Lifetime
Dag Nasty
Moss Icon
Fuel (Not the mainstream band, but the one that inspired Hot Water Music)
Hot Water Music (Eh, why not.)

I wish people would cut-it-out with the "E" word already. Next up, killing the term "pop-punk".