PDA

View Full Version : Some good movies to recommend.

Madzozs
Oct 5, 2004, 12:07 PM
Recently I picked up Shaolin Soccer and Blue Spring. These movies kick ass. Shaolin Soccer is in Cantonese with english subs. It's awesome. Matrix/Kung Fu/comedy/soccer. You really can't go wrong. It's an awesome movie with those somewhat cheesy visuals, but they make the movie better.

Blue Spring on the other hand is more serious. It's about a group of boys in a Japanese school. Sort of a "Clockwork Orange" feel to it, but not as insane. Group of friends with one boy who becomes the boss of the school. His best friend keeps pushing him to make an example of people and not take their crap, and finally he decides to take it upon himself. Great movie, great soundtrack(done by The Michelle Elephant Gun).

digigram
Oct 5, 2004, 04:17 PM
i'l definately check themout mad.... thanks for the ref.

Nai_Calus
Oct 5, 2004, 08:56 PM
Tokyo Godfathers is a good one. Entirely too many "WTF"-inducing everything-you-know-is-wrong plot twists, but still a nice heart-warming movie.

So tell me why you all haven't seen 12 Angry Men, Harold and Maude, and Night of the Hunter yet?

Shattered_weasel
Oct 5, 2004, 09:14 PM
Y tu mama tambien?

Yes I know there is a large amount of "Adult Themes" in it but when you learn why the adult themes come in it will make you go..."OOh"

Madzozs
Oct 5, 2004, 09:23 PM
I've seen Harold and Maude, as well as Y tu mama. Neither are favorites, but good movies none the less.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 5, 2004, 10:14 PM
Lost and Delirious.

Nai_Calus
Oct 5, 2004, 10:21 PM
And if you want a movie so awful it's awesome, Day of the Triffids is great. Worst movie ever.

ABDUR101
Oct 5, 2004, 10:26 PM
On 2004-10-05 20:21, Ian-KunX wrote:
And if you want a movie so awful it's awesome, Day of the Triffids is great. Worst movie ever.

Dooood, I own that movie. I used to watch it every so often when I was way younger.

...I liked the clicking sounds they made. =[

...now I wonder where the tape got to. =

I'll have to look for some of these movies though, I don't have any to offer since I don't really watch anything anymore.

Outrider
Oct 5, 2004, 11:55 PM
On 2004-10-05 19:14, Shattered_weasel wrote:
Y tu mama tambien?

Yes I know there is a large amount of "Adult Themes" in it but when you learn why the adult themes come in it will make you go..."OOh"

I was entirely unimpressed by that movie... and made my girlfriend pretty upset because I guess she likes it a lot?

I dunno, it just wasn't that great in my eyes.

I always like to suggest 25th Hour to people. If you're in for some weird love stories, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Garden State could work.

geewj
Oct 6, 2004, 12:52 AM
On 2004-10-05 21:55, Outrider wrote:

I always like to suggest 25th Hour to people. If you're in for some weird love stories, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Garden State could work.

Not a fan.

I had a hard time caring really, although I'm gonna put most of the blame on Spike Lee for that. I really just..don't like anything he does.

anwserman
Oct 6, 2004, 12:54 AM
Dawn of the Dead, good movie.
Passion of the Christ is good too, I own it.
A Walk to Remember!

... and Mallrats. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Alielle
Oct 6, 2004, 01:41 AM
Jacob's Ladder.

>:]

AUTO_
Oct 6, 2004, 01:48 AM
The Boondock Saints
Snatch
The Last Samurai
Napoleon Dynamite (when it comes out)
Tears of the Sun

Rainbowlemon
Oct 6, 2004, 03:39 AM
The Fifth Element

'Nuff said

Capricornus
Oct 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
I totally loved 'Collateral' with Tom Cruise.

I usally dont like a plot with an exagerated coincidence (wont spoil the movie but people having seen the movie know what I mean) but what made me like the movie was the mystrious killer Tom Cruise was playing, some black humor combined with a cool killer instinct.

My girlfriend, next to me, fell asleep though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Outrider
Oct 6, 2004, 08:22 AM
On 2004-10-05 22:52, Prof_Frink wrote:

On 2004-10-05 21:55, Outrider wrote:

Not a fan.

I had a hard time caring really, although I'm gonna put most of the blame on Spike Lee for that. I really just..don't like anything he does.

See, I haven't seen anything else Spike Lee has done. I just like Edward Norton, and was completely taken by surprise by this movie.

But fair's fair. Just felt like explaining where I'm coming from.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 6, 2004, 02:05 PM
As will I with "Y Tu mama". I liked it because it showed that even under rules that you make you will break them. Also it was nice to know that the chick was having fun just because it was the end of her life not to just screw for the fun of it. Like many probably thought through the movie.

I am trying to think of other Indie films I liked. I tend to like them more than mainstream.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shattered_weasel on 2004-10-06 12:08 ]</font>

astuarlen
Oct 6, 2004, 04:57 PM
Dr. Strangelove foreverrrr! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Madzozs
Oct 6, 2004, 05:19 PM
I too fell in love with the atomic bomb Astuarlen.

Another movie I was thinking of, is Berry Gordy's "The Last Dragon"

Not really an indie movie, but a great movie nonetheless.

Orange_Coconut
Oct 6, 2004, 06:45 PM
Gremlins 2, it's always fun to see when fuzzy things go bad.