PDA

View Full Version : "dont stoop to their level"

Cowboy
Oct 6, 2004, 10:01 PM
That statement is the most complete and udder bullshit I have ever heard.

I went over to my uncles house this afternoon, and my 2nd cousin was visiting.

He had gotten picked on at school, then punched. He told the teacher, it happend again, and he puinched back. He didnt get in trouble, and everything had turned out ok, and the other boys parents had made their son appologise, and their son got suspended.

I was listening to him tell me all this, when my older cousins girlfriend, who has never been one for intelligence anyways, comes up, and listens in.

She heard the "i hit him back" part, and withoutn knowing the whole story, blurts in.

"I cant believe you did that, Colton! Dont you know youre just stooping to his level?! You shouldve ignored him! Im so dissapointed in you!"

Ya... a 22 year old without a job living at her boyfriends parents house driving a truck she cant even afford to put gas in is dissapointed in somebody....anyways...

I have never agreed with this bullshit statement. If some jackass were to come up and hit me for no reason, I'm not gonna sit there and let myself get beaten to a pulp becausxe I'm worried about "stooping to his level"

Id hit him back. If he triede to hit me again, hed get hit again. I have the right to defend myself, and I'm not going to waive that right just ebcause I'm worried that I may be morally "incorrect" if I refuse to sit by and let myself get hurt.

I;'m sorry, but that is complete idiocy. And the same remains true for a 7 year old. This dumbfucks statement has been around far too long. Theres nothing wrong with the statement, though. It's how its used thats fuicked up.

Stooping to someones level would be after getting hit for no reason, doing the same thibng to everyone you meet. it is NOT hitting the person back in self defense.

And using the flawed logic behind this system of idiocy so many people use, we may as well, rapists, murderes, all criminals would be free to do as they please. Theres a reason we have the right to defend ourselves, lets not begin making our youth think otherwise.

And before some fuckinbg genius starts to argue, no, I am NOT saying Bush was right, you dumb fucker.

geewj
Oct 6, 2004, 10:27 PM
The statment is a fine and valid statment.

The problem is stupid people will say it at times that don't apply and make it and them seem stupid.

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 10:30 PM
I agree with you Cowboy. If you are attacked you have every right to defend yourself.

Cowboy
Oct 6, 2004, 10:35 PM
On 2004-10-06 20:27, Prof_Frink wrote:
The statment is a fine and valid statment.

The problem is stupid people will say it at times that don't apply and make it and them seem stupid.

Exactly. Theres nothing wrong with ANYTHING until a person abuses it.

Edit: Should be anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cowboy on 2004-10-06 20:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cowboy on 2004-10-06 22:16 ]</font>

Sagasu
Oct 6, 2004, 11:54 PM
On 2004-10-06 20:35, Cowboy wrote:

Ecactly. Theres nothing wrong with ANUYTHING until a person abuses it.

I feel like smacking you so hard for those words. But its obvious enough that you don't need me to point it out anymore than I have.

Woo..

Fights, arguements, I've had my fair share. I'm a die hard and I tend to get defensive. So I have punched back, yelled back, sneered back, hated back, and I daresay I'm not the happier for it. While the words are harshly judgemental and are composed of utter bullshit, there is a truth behind them that cannot be denied.

So meh, its all how you take it. Yes, the saying is used often in the wrongs context. Yes, you have the ability to defend yourself. Yes, you have the ability to live your life without regrets. But if you do so, there will always be people to resist you if you don't bend for them. Case closed.

Its true for it all. There will be something that conflicts how you think, act, feel, hope, believe, and its up to you to cope with it. I've said it once and I'll say it again, people wont change for you. believing that they will is pure idiocy.

You get angry over what people say to you, you think that they think is wrong. And the vice verse is true. Now tell me, what use will getting upset about stupidity do for you? Nothing, all it will accomplish is driving you mad. Rant at this rant at that. Fools are everywhere, Fools control everything, and if you want to do something about it you've got to get a hold on yourself and be able to stick to your principles without letting yourself be eaten up by the hatred inside.

Sad isn't it? Its everybodies story. Billions of humans stuck together on one planet, theres always going to be some turmoil. Its just like these forums. There are arguements, if you don't like the rules, get out. Like your parents home, you don't like the rules, get out.

(rights? who the fuck came up with rights that say what we are justified to do?)

Damnit! Now I'm just rambling.. I apologize for my abruptness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sagasu on 2004-10-06 21:57 ]</font>

Cowboy
Oct 7, 2004, 12:12 AM
I told my cousins GF everything ive said here, and she didnt have a responce for it >.>

And i have nothing against that saying, I have something against people who fail to realise what it's supposed to do. you can sit there and be someones door matt, you can defend yourself, or you can take out your angst on other people.

And youre never happy when you lash back at someone, right or not. But you're going to be even less content with being pissed on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cowboy on 2004-10-06 22:15 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Oct 7, 2004, 12:20 PM
On 2004-10-06 21:54, Sagasu wrote:
(rights? who the fuck came up with rights that say what we are justified to do?)
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sagasu on 2004-10-06 21:57 ]</font>

Well it's not something someone actually came up with (well as a term, yeah, but the meaning.) A right is simply a what can not be taken away. You have a right to an opinion, you have the right to live...etc. It really isn't a convinced notion that we put into play but a realization of what we can do described in a term.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-10-07 10:21 ]</font>

Armok
Oct 7, 2004, 12:30 PM
Option A: Keep getting hit. Most likely harder each day and eventually leading to more ppl seeing you as weak therefore doing the same thing to you.

However you didnt fight back which is the right thing to do.

Option B: Beat the living shit out of the little bastard. Beat them harder each day til they get the message you are better than them and go fuck off and die in a hole.

However you did the wrong thing so shame.

Thus is life.

Aredhel
Oct 7, 2004, 06:01 PM
Ghandi once said something along the lines of:

"With the old rule an eye for an eye, the whole world is blind"

I'm sure I butchered the quote, but the message is still clear: retaliation will only lead to emptiness. Oh, and all's fun anad games till somebody gets their eye poked out! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ANYWAYS...

"stooping to someone's level" is just not the best course of action in the long run - it gets people nowhere, real quick. People such as the lady you mentioned use these sorts of things in the wrong way, though - I get the feeling that she said it just to regurgitate some old saying that *might* have applied if it weren't for that whole self-defense thing. By all means, you should defend yourself when things get really rough, but instant retaliation just isn't good politics- especially when you are working with all of those stupid drones in the world who cannot seem to empathize with others. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

It's childish, it really is, paying someone back - but this merely will not protect you from the harsh, cold world sometimes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ideals such as this work perfectly fine in a place like this forum - but in the real world, when you're really in danger of losing your life, you must instnatly shunt all of those ideals off to do what you need to - I'm not saying forgetting about who you are and what drives you as a being- I'm just saying... embrace the id for only the briefest moments of defensive potentiality http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

KodiaX987
Oct 7, 2004, 07:32 PM
On 2004-10-07 16:01, Aredhel wrote:

"With the old rule an eye for an eye, the whole world is blind"

An eye for an eye makes your enemy blind... if you're quick enough on the trigger.

space_butler
Oct 8, 2004, 10:10 AM
i used to get in deep shit for defending myself...so i just started to ignore people hitting me untill they got bored and went away. works just as well as beating them shitless because you get the reputation for being 'hard' without having to do anything..

Jehosaphaty
Oct 8, 2004, 06:43 PM
On 2004-10-08 08:10, space_butler wrote:
works just as well as beating them shitless because you get the reputation for being 'hard' without having to do anything..

maybe its me, but that logic seems slighty, um flawed? maybe a "hard" punching bag, but thats about it

space_butler
Oct 9, 2004, 03:50 AM
On 2004-10-08 16:43, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2004-10-08 08:10, space_butler wrote:
works just as well as beating them shitless because you get the reputation for being 'hard' without having to do anything..

maybe its me, but that logic seems slighty, um flawed? maybe a "hard" punching bag, but thats about it

i got a reputation and no-one (apart from one fucknut) ever tried anything...

opaopajr
Oct 11, 2004, 04:42 PM
the reason why the statement is said is because we have a *civilization*, and in wanting to keep it *civil* we, as a collective population, do not allow immediate violent redress. ignoring other, non-violent, *civilized* forms of redress tends to lead to a barbarous society where vendettas and feuds take over. in attempting to get rid of such nonsense we have developed legitimized authority to enforce our codes of conduct - essentially we've cultivated our own brand of musclemen to enforce civilized conduct, they get to beat people down with public approval when things get out of line.

if no parent/teacher/authority figure had the cojones or freaking common sense to intervene and stop such improper behavior then i guess you live in a fascinating barbarous land where such violent forms of redress are your only option. a pity. my sympathies to you. you may suggest to the "mature adults" around you that they may want to try civilization and personal responsibility over their charges...

children learn from the adults in their lives. you'd think people with such a responsibility would take that more seriously. how in the world he got away with hitting first from being teased i just don't know. either you aren't telling us the whole story or something is screwy, teachers not disciplining everyone (striking first is not right in the face of verbal teasing).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: opaopajr on 2004-10-11 14:45 ]</font>