PDA

View Full Version : Wats damage cancel?

ZangBa
Oct 7, 2004, 08:42 AM
Topic says it all

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 09:27 AM
WHen too many attacks hit a target (one enemy, or a section of a boss) at the same time and the servers cant accept all that damage data, the access info is thrown away. It could be 1 damage versus 1000 and the 1000 being thrown away.
Its really only cared about in C mode, and only happens online.

Someone else could probably explain it better than a person who lacks rest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-07 07:27 ]</font>

digigram
Oct 7, 2004, 10:23 AM
it has never ever ever ever ever happened to me.. I'm on Xbox, people tried to tell me it happened in Cmode too, has never ever ever ever happened to me.

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 10:32 AM
you dont see it happen, unless it takes about 8k damage to kill a 5k HP monster.

Gjl
Oct 7, 2004, 12:37 PM
You can also see it happen when damage cancel causes a frozen enemy to refreeze after it breaks free.

Solstis
Oct 7, 2004, 01:44 PM
On 2004-10-07 10:37, Gjl wrote:
You can also see it happen when damage cancel causes a frozen enemy to refreeze after it breaks free.

Ah... that explains a bit.

Was wondering about that.

Stan64
Oct 7, 2004, 03:20 PM
AFAIK, on PSOBB when multiple ppl hit on a enemy it's HP rises. There are no damage cancels but if everyone did hit it one time each it would have much more HP in the end. Atleast what I figured out on PSOBB.

Genoa
Oct 7, 2004, 05:06 PM
There's another thing similar to this, it cancels a command. If you activate a command, then press (R) while the command is in animation (before the effect of the command takes place), you can cancel it completely.
Example: You use Standard Attack with a sword... while the sword was swinging (and has not yet hit the target) and you hold (R) for your secondary command menu, you will continue the animation, but your hit will not commence. 0 damage, doesn't say miss, and you can be attacked.

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 05:48 PM
THat isnt "damage cancel" :/

Genoa
Oct 7, 2004, 05:49 PM
On 2004-10-07 15:06, MegamanX wrote:
There's another thing similar to this, it cancels a command. If you activate a command, then press (R) while the command is in animation (before the effect of the command takes place), you can cancel it completely.
Example: You use Standard Attack with a sword... while the sword was swinging (and has not yet hit the target) and you hold (R) for your secondary command menu, you will continue the animation, but your hit will not commence. 0 damage, doesn't say miss, and you can be attacked.

I know, but I was just explaining this anyways. It somewhat goes with the topic. Lets just say I was preventing a future topic... yeah...

Mixfortune
Oct 7, 2004, 10:18 PM
It's probably worth mentioning that during damage cancel, the damage display numbers that show how much damage you would be doing still show up, it's just the damage itself is not done to the enemy.

This is why you don't actually see damage cancel, but it exists. There are still some uncertainties around damage cancel... sometimes all damages are cancelled, while other times only some hits go through... sometimes the weaker hits, sometimes the stronger hits.

As has been mentioned, you can't tell if damage is cancelling unless it takes more HP damage to kill a monster than it actually should be capable of taking, but it exists regardless. This is online only. There is no damage cancelling offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-10-08 11:40 ]</font>

Genoa
Oct 8, 2004, 05:03 AM
On 2004-10-07 20:18, Mixfortune wrote:
It's probably worth mentioning that during damage cancel, the damage display numbers that show how much damage you would be doing still show up, it's just the damage itself is not done to the enemy.

This is why you don't actually see damage cancel, but it exists. There are still some uncertainties around damage cancel... sometimes all damages are cancelled, while other times only some hits go through... sometimes the weaker hits, sometimes the stronger hits.

As has been mentioned, you can't tell if damage is cancelling unless it takes more HP damage to kill a monster than it actually should be capable of taking, but it exists regardless. This is online only. There is no damage cancelling online offline.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Mixfortune
Oct 8, 2004, 01:40 PM
Good catch, MegamanX. That's probably one of the last places I'd want to confuse people http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
Thanks for pointing out my typing error http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Corey
Oct 8, 2004, 02:30 PM
On 2004-10-07 15:48, Skorpius wrote:

Technically it can be, seeing as if you press R after doing an attack it goes through -whatever- it was supposed to hit

Mixfortune
Oct 8, 2004, 02:50 PM
On 2004-10-08 12:30, Corey wrote:

On 2004-10-07 15:48, Skorpius wrote:

Technically it can be, seeing as if you press R after doing an attack it goes through -whatever- it was supposed to hit

It doesn't use the same reasoning as what happens during damage cancel, since the use of what you are talking about can be performed offline, since it simply nullifies your targetting on whatever you are trying to hit. Remember, with damage cancel, the hit is still shown like normal, with displaying damage numbers and everything... it's just that the damage itself is not subtracted from the target's HP.

I assume the target nullifier that you are mentioning was added after some of the troubles in the DC version.

Neo48
Oct 9, 2004, 02:01 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I never encountered that. Tell ya what I did encounter...FSOD TWICE!!! *Misses his Red Sword*