PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Block(head)

mr_rubbish
Oct 7, 2004, 02:09 PM
Hehehe... mr.rubbish vs. the world...

I've discovered that this site has a rants section so I might as well get a load off my (ample) chest.

This concerns new writers breaking into the fan-fic scene over in the fan-works section. This is more like a serious of little rants than one overall thing, so please bear with me if it seems a little haphazard.

SORT OUT THE TITLE

Let's start at the beginning, namely the title. For God's sake please give your story a title! Titles like "My first fan-fic" or "My story" just don't cut it. Are you surprised when almost no one views the thread? It's because the title should be advertising your story. The title should be your first hook to draw them in, so put a little damn effort into it! But remember, a bad title is much better than no title at all.

Another annoyance: people putting "Please read it" or something similar there.
I mean, WTF? Are you hoping people will read your story out of pity for you? Do you honestly want to attract that kind of readership?
People are free to read your story if they feel like it. Not because they have some obligation to you or because you asked so nicely in the thread's title.

Update the damn title to reflect the current chapter. If you do get a reader following the least you could do as a favour is notify the world in general that you've posted the next thrilling part to your saga.

PROOFREAD FFS!

Though I would admit that the average Joe doesn't even proof read the posts they do normally, would it really kill you to use the "preview button" and just have a look at what you've written. Mistakes are forgiveable if your work is good, but if you're not sure if yours is good work then remember that presentation is everything. Every mistake will lower your standing ever so slightly with the readers. Be professional out there! (more on this later).

http://dictionary.reference.com/
Bookmark the above link. There is ABSOLUTELY NO excuse for spelling mistakes. (unless you are a kid and you didn't know that you didn't spell it right. So in actual fact there is an excuse). Most of the planet has MS word which has a spell check function. If you don't have Word then get Open Office at http://www.openoffice.org

Oh yeah... Word will also turn quote marks (" & ') into question marks. This is because of "smart quotes". Turn the feature off or proof read before you post the blasted thing!

Grammar and Formatting

As I would recommend to anyone, get a book by a grown-up author and read it (preferably from the second-half of the twentieth century onwards). Look at it and study how they format the speech and narative.
Note how they DO NOT write pages and pages as solid blocks of text. Keyboards are equiped with two, yes TWO 'Enter'/'Carridge return' buttons. Use them once in a while!

So... Remember to throw in lots of white space to ease the poor readers eyes.

Grammar is a little more difficult but read lots of books and that will help.

Fight scenes

Fight scenes on film or TV are good. In writing, they are generally boring. NO ONE on earth wants to read the fifty different ways how your characters slaughtered boomas/sharks/dimenians etc. If they wanted something like that, they might as well close their browser window and play the game instead of reading it. Having said that, many people can write a good fight scene. Get someone else's opinion if you're not sure.

Fight scenes should be a reward to the reader, not something to wade through to finish the story.

FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE?!?!?!?!?!?!

It doesn't happen often but I always cringe when I read a fan-fic done out in first person. What are you thinking? If you're new to the game please, please, PLEASE stick to third person till you know what you're doing.
Some people are under the misguided belief that first-person perspective is somehow easier to write than third person. First-person is easier to write in, but it is MUCH more difficult to do well.
From the age of five, humans gain the coverted ability to empathise with others. Use this magically ability!

However, third-person with a little first-person is perfectly acceptable. Learn to walk before you run!

Why is no one reading your story?

How many times have I seen people moaning about this (I've done it myself) or bumping their own thread in an attempt to keep it on the first page.

1. PSOW is a ever-shrinking community, there are less and less people to read your fan-fic, get over it!
2. People are shy and the majority read but never comment.
3. If you're not an established 'star' then people are less likely to read your work. Get over it!
4. The better the quality of your story then the more likely you are to get and retain readers.

DON'T SAY THAT YOUR OWN WORK SUCKS
This goes equally for artists as well as writers and I cannot stress enough this point. For **** sake, if your work sucks, then why did you bother posting it in the first place? You wasted your time and ours. Work on it and improve it then post it.

Grow a spine and believe in yourself damnit!

You wouldn't lie down in the street and invite passers-by to kick you in real-life, so don't do it online. One day you will say "My work sucks" and then you will be surprised to hear someone else say "Yes it does"

You only have yourself to blame.

DON'T POST RIGHT NOW!

What really bugs me are the stories where the author has typed it hastily into the post window and then posted it. No thought and no proof reading. Take your damn time! This is not a race! Sloppy work will cost you readers, pure and simple. If you can't be bothered to put some effort into writing it, then why should your readers be bothered to read it? (More on that later).

Though I am probably the only one how does such a practise, give some thought to writing the entire story before posting it chapter-by-chapter. This will allow you to write something deeper than the linear "Fight the " type of story.

This also leads to the following excuse: "[i]I'm sorry but it was late when I wrote this/I was in a rush."

Why the **** are you posting it now then? Save your Goddamn work and post it later when you have more time. You have no excuse (unless they are about to take your PC away from you forever).

But I'm writing just for fun!

Another excuse. Yes you are writing for fun and so you should be. If it's not fun then you'd better be paid for it because there's no other reason to do it. But remember this:
PEOPLE READ FOR FUN.
If they're not having fun reading it, then they are going to leave and find a story that does fill their reading needs.

Stop being so selfish and think of others. If it's just for yourself then there's no need for posting it. However...
If you DID post it, then you expect someone else to read it. It's at that point then that you should DAMN well make sure that it is readable.

I think that's it. There probably other stuff that bugs me, but I'll hoard it inside till it eats me like acid.
For those that think I should write a guide about writing... Well, lets just say I think about it a lot occasionally too, but KaFKa got there first (that's another rant altogether http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ).

In closing...

Despite my remarks above NEVER GIVE UP! If you have passion about it, then you wouldn't anyway. If you did quit then it was never meant to be. If you're undecided then keep trying. Writing is a skill and like all skills can be improved by assigning experience points to it in the "Character" screen.

Above all... HAVE FUN DAMNIT! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

Armok
Oct 7, 2004, 02:45 PM
My opinion:

Stories/fanfics should be writen well and read over/worked on.

In posts it doesnt bother me spell/grammerise as badly as you want.

Garanz2
Oct 7, 2004, 04:06 PM
Rubbish: I concur with everything you just said.

Remember Newdroid and AngelAlys....

Deathscythealpha
Oct 7, 2004, 04:11 PM
On 2004-10-07 12:09, mr_rubbish wrote:
Fight scenes

Fight scenes on film or TV are good. In writing, they are generally boring. NO ONE on earth wants to read the fifty different ways how your characters slaughtered boomas/sharks/dimenians etc. If they wanted something like that, they might as well close their browser window and play the game instead of reading it. Having said that, many people can write a good fight scene. Get someone else's opinion if you're not sure.

Fight scenes should be a reward to the reader, not something to wade through to finish the story.

FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE?!?!?!?!?!?!

It doesn't happen often but I always cringe when I read a fan-fic done out in first person. What are you thinking? If you're new to the game please, please, PLEASE stick to third person till you know what you're doing.
Some people are under the misguided belief that first-person perspective is somehow easier to write than third person. First-person is easier to write in, but it is MUCH more difficult to do well.
From the age of five, humans gain the coverted ability to empathise with others. Use this magically ability!

However, third-person with a little first-person is perfectly acceptable. Learn to walk before you run!

With the fight scene it is always a wonder to me how the Group Fics always break down into generic fight scenes.

And for a good example of a story written in first person that people might be able to learn from... Bram Stokers Dracula. Been reading it of late and its really good how Mr Stoker kept the story going through a series of Letters/Journel Entries/Paper Clippings. I recomend to people who want to write in First Person to check this book out first.

*Was secretely embarressed as I realised I fell into most of Mr_Rubbish's points when I started writing, and sometimes still do*

Shadowpawn
Oct 7, 2004, 04:15 PM
Writers that are new tend to make such mistakes. It happens. I have problems with the spelling thing myself at times... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Solstis
Oct 7, 2004, 04:19 PM
DON'T POST RIGHT NOW!

What really bugs me are the stories where the author has typed it hastily into the post window and then posted it. No thought and no proof reading. Take your damn time! This is not a race! Sloppy work will cost you readers, pure and simple. If you can't be bothered to put some effort into writing it, then why should your readers be bothered to read it? (More on that later).

Though I am probably the only one how does such a practise, give some thought to writing the entire story before posting it chapter-by-chapter. This will allow you to write something deeper than the linear "Fight the [insert enemy name here]" type of story.

This also leads to the following excuse: "I'm sorry but it was late when I wrote this/I was in a rush."

Why the **** are you posting it now then? Save your Goddamn work and post it later when you have more time. You have no excuse (unless they are about to take your PC away from you forever).

Ai!

I just get excited after I finish something.

And sorry that I didn't continue posting my "Random Redemption" chapters. School/lack of influence has left it at the 5th or so chapter.

I think that many should take an important lesson from rubbish: It's a lot easier if you finish the fic first!"

Sagasu
Oct 7, 2004, 05:42 PM
Nice

But it wont change anything, since they hear but don't listen. Theres a difference, and you know it.

I think I may be through with writing.

More of a task now than anything else. You say yourself you should have fun reading andwriting, and if you dont, don' force yourself to do. So for once I think I'll take your advice to heart without much questioning.

mr_rubbish
Oct 8, 2004, 03:22 AM
Now there's another rant: Why are you giving up?

KaFKa
Oct 8, 2004, 11:31 AM
For those that think I should write a guide about writing... Well, lets just say I think about it a lot occasionally too, but KaFKa got there first (that's another rant altogether http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif ).

oh! he just didnt! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

yes, i agree with you rubbish, and i too have fallen into those points many times. (although since i only write on PSOW for fun, one could understand why.)

and it pains me to see new writers throwing fics out and expecting to be at least half loved when they put seemingly little effort into them.

but on that subject, you're going to get a PM soon rubbish.

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 11:55 AM
I always found the fight scenes interesting.

dude3282
Oct 8, 2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that, I think it was informative. I always hear writers whining about how new writers have no idea what they're doing, so it's good to see that someone is making some positive action. Although I found it somewhat ironic that you extolled the virtues of proofreading (stating that you proofread all your posts) and then made a few minor spelling mistakes yourself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

mr_rubbish
Oct 8, 2004, 04:42 PM
Well colour me embarrassed, it seems mr.rubbish is human after all!

Kupi
Oct 8, 2004, 05:15 PM
The cool thing about these extensive guide-type rants is that no matter how good you are, they're always worth reading. I'm guilty of shooting myself down a lot unnecessarily so. Thanks for pointing out the error in that, Mr. Rubbish. ^_^

dude3282
Oct 8, 2004, 06:42 PM
On 2004-10-08 14:42, mr_rubbish wrote:
Well colour me embarrassed, it seems mr.rubbish is human after all!

... Although I found it somewhat ironic that you extolled the virtues of proofreading (stating that you proofread all your posts) and then made a few minor spelling mistakes yourself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

No biggie, dude.

DezoPenguin
Oct 9, 2004, 08:52 AM
Truer words were never spoken, Mr. Rubbish!

I have a couple of additions:

DO NOT WRITE ABOUT THE GAME'S PC

I don't think there's any easier way to kill a piece of PSO fanfiction. No one wants to read about how you explored the Forest, then the Cavess, then the Mines, and finally the Ruins, before defeating Dark Falz and freeing Red Ring Rico. Everybody who's reading fanfics at this site has played PSO. We know what happens, thank you, and if we wanted to watch it again we'd cross the room to our Gamecube (or whatever) and play it for ourselves. PSO is a huge world. Write about something else in it. Write about what came before. Or came after. Or what's happening during.

That being said, *if* the protagonist's life does parallel the game's main hero in any way, save your fic by inserting *plot*. Personal rivalries among Hunters. Love interests. The Galactic Mobile Infantry 32nd WORKS. But for Heaven's sake don't just tell me the story of your game.

Remember that first-person is actually first-person.

I think this is one of the bigger botches in FP writing. If at any time you're writing your story in first person and you start narrating the thoughts of another character, stop, close your word processor, and delete your file. Then start over in the third person.

The entire point of first-person writing is that it offers a look at the world through the perceptions of a single individual (or, if you're reading a 19th-century novel like The Moonstone, several individuals in sequence, but one at a time). Possibly I lack an important skill, but in real life I am unable to see what other people are thinking, or know the motivations behind their actions. I can only observe what they say and do, and then try to deduce from that.

Compare:

"As I snuck up behind Ventris, he could barely suppress a laugh at how utterly I'd fallen into his clever trap."

versus

"As I snuck up behind Ventris, I could see his shoulders twitch, almost as if...but no, that was silly. Why would he--
"When the shots from the (until then) concealed snipers started hitting around me, I realized my wild guess been right. He'd been laughing. I'd thought I'd been ambushing him, and instead I'd walked into a clever deathtr--"

(By the way, that missing quote at the end of the first paragraph is intentional. Shame on you if you don't know why. ^_- )

Mystil
Oct 9, 2004, 02:22 PM
Question for you mr.rubbish, do you know how to get rid of writers block?? I've had mine for 6 years http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

KaFKa
Oct 9, 2004, 04:02 PM
On 2004-10-09 12:22, Silhouette wrote:
Question for you mr.rubbish, do you know how to get rid of writers block?? I've had mine for 6 years http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

it tends to go away of its own accord. =/

mr_rubbish
Oct 9, 2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the words people. It now looks like I'll be creating a writer's guide after all (with help from you lot http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

To answer you question Silhouette, after 6 years it's not writer's block... it's writer's broken!

My best advice i could give is to change genre or style or something. write really short stories that are just for fun (posting them isn't necessary). Silly comedies always work for me (check out my profile for a link to my series of short stories, for stealable ideas!)

Just try doing a fragment set in the middle of a story that will never be written. 200-300 words is all you need. Hell, write about anything, everything or nothing. If you can't kick start your gift then perhaps it's time to try something else. :/

WraithVerge
Oct 9, 2004, 11:55 PM
Remember that first-person is actually first-person.

Kind of redundant. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

What is interesting about first person is that you can enter the mind of the present character and hear what he/she is thinking and experience the emotions he/she is feeling.

When writing in first person as, say... an air-headed popular high-school cheerleader, you don't want to write it blandly. You basically have to force yourself to "think" and "act" like the character you are trying to depict.

Reminds me of when KafKa commented on writing a first-person story with his character Chainer. I remember him saying something like "never again". (FYI: Chainer is one psychotic man.)

Mystil
Oct 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
On 2004-10-09 14:23, mr_rubbish wrote:
Thanks for the words people. It now looks like I'll be creating a writer's guide after all (with help from you lot http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

To answer you question Silhouette, after 6 years it's not writer's block... it's writer's broken!

My best advice i could give is to change genre or style or something. write really short stories that are just for fun (posting them isn't necessary). Silly comedies always work for me (check out my profile for a link to my series of short stories, for stealable ideas!)

Just try doing a fragment set in the middle of a story that will never be written. 200-300 words is all you need. Hell, write about anything, everything or nothing. If you can't kick start your gift then perhaps it's time to try something else. :/

Most of my stories were 4,000 words or more. Oh well, guess my talent is lost. I agree with you in full btw, but it doesn't really matter with a fic or a short story. Full scale ones however...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-10-10 12:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-10-10 12:22 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Oct 10, 2004, 03:55 PM

I think about it a lot occasionally too

mr. rubbish made an oxymoron...nice rant, good points to think about.

Eihwaz
Oct 10, 2004, 07:58 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. However, most first-time writers write up something after reading a really awesome fic, do a couple of chapters, then lose interest.

But if you write a FanFic, you should stick with it. I suppose a lot of people thought I had given up on my fic, well, I posted Chapter 8 a few minutes ago! ^_^

My fic follows PSO, the game, pretty closely, but I made it a lot more interesting by adding in Rain, and so forth.