PDA

View Full Version : Your digits, think about them much?

navci
Oct 9, 2004, 12:40 AM
Since now I often cut myself on the fingers here and there, I really kinda get the chance to stop and think about my digits, and how often are they used.

See. Outside of all fingers activities like, typing, playing piano or any sort of musical instruments. Which are the digits you think you use the most? Prolly Thumb, and index fingers, correct? For example, I was peeling an orange. After cutting a slit on the orange skin I started to peel the skin by prying my thumb and index finger into the orange to push the skin out. Then I was thinking, well, would I only need those two fingers and I can finish the job? Prolly not. The rest of the three fingers provide some pretty solid support for leverage and preventing the orange from escaping out of my hand. Okay, do I really need three fingers to do the job? True, the little finger seems to be hardly ever used at all. The only time I even use them is when I play musical instruments. The little fingers are neither very strong nor very nimble. It is actually quite hard to get them to do anything aside from picking your ears or nose.

Anyway. I got sidetracked. Thing is, since my ring finger tip is injured and I tried to put that finger as far away as the orange juice as possible. So it was only doing a very lame ass support job on the orange, while the little finger, kinda all attached to that and stretched at a weird angle, hence not touching the orange at all. So. What happened was that I really didn't have a very good grip ot the orange because my limping ring finger and the silly little finger. So my conclusion is, you do indeed need all of your fingers. Even though you don't really think you are using them, they are still excellent for supporting and provide a very firm grip of whatever you are holding in your hand. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif For things that require delicate handling, for example, chopsticks, you are going to notice the difference if you try to put one of your fingers out of the way.

So. That's my thought. I'd like to hear from you all too.

ImStillBetterThanU
Oct 9, 2004, 12:45 AM
I agree. I definetly like having 10 fingers. No more, no less. Without them after all, I wouldn't be able to play video games, and that would make me a sad panda.

navci
Oct 9, 2004, 12:53 AM
Which of course, brings us to the question of, would we be better off having more fingers? Say, what would the difference be if we have six or.. hey, ten fingers on each hand?!

Guile
Oct 9, 2004, 02:25 AM
I did a science project like years ago in sixth grade. It was about living without thumbs and I had to tape down my thumb and try and do like everyday things. Let me tell you..it was fucking hard. So I'm glad I got 10 fingers, about having more? I really don't see a point.

Aredhel
Oct 9, 2004, 07:55 AM
You could type faster like that guy on the Dell commercial http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rainbowlemon
Oct 9, 2004, 08:25 AM
On 2004-10-08 22:40, navinator wrote:
lame ass support job on the orange

*Puts in 'Book of Ultimate Sayings'*

Yeah, I've wondered the odd time before now how it would feel if I lost a finger, and whether or not it would really effect me...needless to say, I've thankfully not lost any body parts...yet...

Eanae
Oct 9, 2004, 08:56 AM
Actually, it's scientifically proven that our pinky finger is getting smaller and smaller because of it's lack of use. In a few million years down the road, humans will be a 8 fingered species. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

HotWaterDeath
Oct 9, 2004, 09:34 AM
On 2004-10-09 06:56, Eanae wrote:
Actually, it's scientifically proven that our pinky finger is getting smaller and smaller because of it's lack of use. In a few million years down the road, humans will be a 8 fingered species. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

If we live that long, but thats another story.

I am grateful for my hands, as I could accomplish little without them. Not that people born without hands (Or people who have suffered the loss of their hands), aren't capable people. Quite the opposite.

ABDUR101
Oct 9, 2004, 11:37 AM
The opposable thumb is what gives us a good advantage. If you take that away, you'll have a difficult time doing a lot of things, as most things involve the use of the thumb, obviously.

Last new years my brother had an accident and blew apart his right hand. Blew off most the meat from his thumb and fingers, including the bone halfway down his middle and ring fingers, and shredding his palm.

Nothing was salvagable, because nothing could be found, it was just "gone". Got him airlifted to York medical center as myself, dad, and two sisters drove two hours to get there and the plan was to surgically put his thumb into his groin area so tissue would regrow to the area. After a while of that, went back and had his thumb removed from his side and then he had the base for a new thumb. Afew reconstructive surgeries later with skin grafts and daily wound treatment, and nearly a year of therapy and doing damn good on his part, he can kick ass in any FPS just like before, and still fishes regularly.

He did a lot of work to build the new addition to the house as well, operating machinery and all the tools. All of which would'nt have been possible if they did'nt work hard to keep his thumb. Damn proud of his surgeon.

...I'm gonna fuck him up in Halo 2 though...I hope =O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2004-10-09 09:38 ]</font>