PDA

View Full Version : The death of Halloween.

Alielle
Oct 10, 2004, 09:56 PM
Just check this out. http://home.computer.net/~cya/cy00061.html

I've been noticing less and less kids celebrating the most fun holiday ever, partly because of this kind of moronic thinking. I'd like to remind them that Christmas and Easter are both really lazily converted pagan holidays.

Plus, they recruited some ex-Wiccan guy named "Tom Sanguinet." Sanguinet!! What, he didn't bother changing his name back from when he was going through his goth phase? I'm sure the fact that he once played with a ouija board makes him an indisputable authority on pagan holidays. OMG HALLOWEEN IS EVIL BECUZ IT CELEBRATES DETH. Wow, so I guess it's more healthy to pretend it doesn't exist. That way, we can all cower in fear of it for the rest of our lives. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I've even heard of some people handing out religious tracts instead of candy, telling kids how horrible Halloween is. Way to sour kids against your religion forever. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

navci
Oct 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
:/
This is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Solstis
Oct 10, 2004, 10:20 PM
Doesn't halloween have something to do with the christian ideal of purgatory and escaping from it?

KodiaX987
Oct 10, 2004, 10:31 PM
The last few years, people with no disguise at all rang at our home for candy, despite our lights being turned off all over. They were usually teenagers and claimed to be "disguised as bums". Fucking idiots.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 10, 2004, 10:34 PM
Had a huge argument with a teacher on this. I always thought of it as a fun day to see who has the coolest costume and who has the largest stash of candy. I see no religion or anything else in it whatsoever.

Just plain ole fun.

On 2004-10-10 20:31, KodiaX987 wrote:
The last few years, people with no disguise at all rang at our home for candy, despite our lights being turned off all over. They were usually teenagers and claimed to be "disguised as bums". Fucking idiots.

Technically wouldn't they be bums then?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shattered_weasel on 2004-10-10 20:37 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Oct 10, 2004, 11:20 PM
Actually, I believe that the decline of the Haloween spirit is partly to blame on the desitizing of children to anything scary, and those also to blame are the ones that poison/put glass or razor blades into candy. It's neither scary nor safe anymore.

Alielle
Oct 10, 2004, 11:36 PM
Eh. They've had that razor blade/needles in candy scare around since I was little, but I think it was really blown out of proportion (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.htm). Parents were always telling everyone to make sure to throw away any treats you got that weren't wrapped anyway. Common sense, really. I think food poisoning is a little more dangerous than a needle. (Here's another Snopes article on the supposed deliberate poisonings (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/hallowee.htm)).

I blame not only religious zealots but the growing trend of paranoid parents relying too much on the media (often flying in the face of common sense). I always went in big groups, and we always had an adult with us when I went Trick or Treating. Anyone who worries about the safety of their kids would do the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2004-10-10 21:46 ]</font>

Sagasu
Oct 10, 2004, 11:56 PM
On 2004-10-10 21:36, Alielle wrote:

I blame-

Stop right there.

Don't be targeting one group or another, you'll just start more arguements even if some people see your opinion as justified.

Lets have a discussion, not a brawl.

Alielle
Oct 11, 2004, 12:21 AM
I blame Sagasu for censorship.

IceBurner
Oct 11, 2004, 12:39 AM
On 2004-10-10 21:56, Sagasu wrote:

On 2004-10-10 21:36, Alielle wrote:

I blame-

Stop right there.

Don't be targeting one group or another, you'll just start more arguements even if some people see your opinion as justified.

Lets have a discussion, not a brawl.

Sure, let's never come to any conclusions. There are no causes, only effects, which are random and sourceless.

Ironically, Halloween's present incarnation which is centered around money for the costume and candy industries, now suffers for the sake of money for another industry -- the media. Scare stories sell among today's increasingly neurotic populace.

In addition, a rational human being need only look at some anti-Halloween propoganda to realize that some people truly are stuck in the dark ages of terrifying shadows and spirits. That's right, so-called "fundamentalists" who live in fear nearly everything and wish for you to do that same. Abusing religion to justify their every phobia, they seek to make the world fit in a box so they can feel safe at night. Perhaps survival of the fittest isn't so true after all, since such maladaptable organisms should theoretically have died out.

Deathscythealpha
Oct 11, 2004, 02:45 AM
On 2004-10-10 20:20, Solstis wrote:
Doesn't halloween have something to do with the christian ideal of purgatory and escaping from it?

Shh, if you tell the owner of that website that i think he may cry.

Well, i think my IQ dropped a few points from reading that article. Why must people type in Caps to get their point across? Its the equvilent of shouting at someone on the street.

The guys views seemed to bias and one way, not listening to anyone else and blocking out other people's belief. Im sure at one point he blamed the Irish for Halloween.

And Dracula himself was not a real person. There was once a man called Vlad 'The Impaler' Tepid, but he wasn't Dracula. Dracula himself was a work of fiction based around some of the stories of Vlad's evil deeds.

Ness
Oct 11, 2004, 06:22 AM
I don't celebrate Halloween anymore. Not because or religion, but because I'm just not into it anymore.

Daikarin
Oct 11, 2004, 08:16 AM
I find it hilarious how they have the sick tendency to describe that fun holiday in the negative way.

It may have roots in stories like those, but Halloween is what you make if it.

I hope you will carefully consider the information I have related in the pamphlet and decide NOT to celebrate Halloween. But there is an even more important decision you should make first. That is deciding to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Here?s what to do...
REALIZE that God loves you - John 3:16; Romans 5:8

RECOGNIZE that you cannot be saved from sin by your own good works - Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5

ADMIT that you are a sinner separated from God - Romans 3:23

REPENT of your sins - Luke 13:3-5; Acts 3:19

CALL upon Christ in faith believing that He died for your sins and arose from the dead - Romans 10:13

I don't wanna make this another thread about religion, but I find this last part of the article stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2004-10-11 06:19 ]</font>

PJ
Oct 11, 2004, 08:18 AM
I haven't gone trick or treating since I was like... 7 years old. And that IS because of my religion =/

Rainbowlemon
Oct 11, 2004, 09:37 AM
In my opinion, Halloween is just another marketing gimmick, same as every other goddam holiday out there. At least at Christmas I get decent presents >_>

KaFKa
Oct 11, 2004, 12:37 PM
halloween wasnt a holiday, it was a competition to see who could get the most candy in one night. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

eventually america is going to turn into a bunch of jehovahs witnesses or something =/

space_butler
Oct 11, 2004, 12:41 PM
On 2004-10-11 10:37, KaFKa wrote:
halloween wasnt a holiday, it was a competition to see who could get the most candy in one night. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

eventually america is going to turn into a bunch of jehovahs witnesses or something =/

and when that happens every time someone bleeds a lot then they die http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif no more blood transfusions..

KodiaX987
Oct 11, 2004, 12:49 PM
You guys know what to do then.

Slit a Jeovah's wrists and wait patiently. ;P