PDA

View Full Version : DC: Please help an old player get back into the swing of thi

MasterChuck
Oct 11, 2004, 05:32 PM
OK guys, here's my situation. I used to be an avid PSO player in the DC days, and had v1 and import v2 the days they were released. I want to get back into PSO v2 (Import) 'cause I hear Sega's import DC servers are still up and can be accessed using an import copy of the game from the US. Now here's the thing: I need a new DC (will purchase one from eBay), and will need one that can read burned discs (I remember DCs made before or after a certain date worked - for use w/ my Utopian boot disc to boot imports) unless my GameShark CDX (used to load up imports as well [I don't cheat - strictly legit ^_^] would work w/ any date model) can do the same. I also no longer have dial-up and will be buying a DC BBA off eBay as well. Now, I'm asking that you guys please help me on this one: I remember there was a guide on here back in the day for American users to set-up import v2 accounts for online play on American systems. Thing is, I can't find it anymore. ;_; I so want to get back into v2 DC and relive the good old days w/ some buddied of mine who plan to do the same. Any help you can give me on the issues mentioned or if I missed anything, please let me know. Thanks for your time PSO community. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Akemi
Oct 11, 2004, 05:55 PM
A point of question before I answer the DC Issue, would it result in Warning and/or Bannination if I were to reply to his DC question (somewhat on the gray side of the legal area)?

Shadowpawn
Oct 11, 2004, 06:02 PM
On 2004-10-11 15:55, Akemi wrote:
A point of question before I answer the DC Issue, would it result in Warning and/or Bannination if I were to reply to his DC question (somewhat on the gray side of the legal area)?

Yep because he's asking for a online service on the DC. Sega stopped supporting the DC a long time ago for us in the U.S.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-10-11 16:03 ]</font>

MasterChuck
Oct 11, 2004, 06:18 PM
Did I mention I have the import v2 and can still access JP servers which Sega still has up?

Shadowpawn
Oct 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
On 2004-10-11 16:18, MasterChuck wrote:
Did I mention I have the import v2 and can still access JP servers which Sega still has up?

If that's the case I don't know if this site still has it...

Asura_UK
Oct 11, 2004, 06:24 PM
Why don't you and your mates just get Xbox and play PSO on that. No fuss with getting stuff off eBay or finding Broadband adaptors.

While you're at it, use your Xbox Live account to play Halo 2 online next month and enjoy being able to actually talk to each other with your Xbox communicators. Xbox beats all for online games. Don't need a Dreamcast anymore.

MasterChuck
Oct 11, 2004, 06:26 PM
On 2004-10-11 16:02, Shadowpawn wrote:

Yep because he's asking for a online service on the DC. Sega stopped supporting the DC a long time ago for us in the U.S.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-10-11 16:03 ]</font>

So what if Sega stopped supporting DC? Does that mean I can't ask for support with my Atari 2600 because Atari stopped making it 2 decades ago? Seriously man, cut the crap and answer the question presented.

Shadowpawn
Oct 11, 2004, 06:30 PM
On 2004-10-11 16:26, MasterChuck wrote:

On 2004-10-11 16:02, Shadowpawn wrote:

So what if Sega stopped supporting DC? Does that mean I can't ask for support with my Atari 2600 because Atari stopped making it 2 decades ago? Seriously man, cut the crap and answer the question presented.

I guess you haven't read this:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=75731&forum=1&1

Second post...

Rich_T
Nov 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
As far as im aware the official sega servers for both the JP and EU versions of PSO on the dreamcast are still up and running.
The Japanese version requires you to pay for a hnters licence through the japanese payment system.
The EU version is free to play, except for your standard internet costs.
Quite how long the EU and JP versions of DC psao will remian online is unknown, but dont be surprised to find them gone soon.
Another unknown is the amount of people playing online , at a time when you can get online with time xzone differecnes if its evening where you are, it might be early morning in the UK ( asuming you want to play wih english speaking players), or japan.

Dreamcast Phantasy star online:
Japanese version - servers still up, hunters licence ( subsciption) required.
European version - Servers still up, no subscription
North American version - Servers down, no onliine play.

If you chose to buy a version of dreamcast PSO (EU/JP) that works online, you will also need unused Serial codes and access keys.
without these unused codes you will not be able to play online

RFB
Nov 15, 2004, 03:28 AM

I'm gonna enjoy this...

# Illegal Activities
Warez or illegal related content of any kind is grounds to be banned by our discretion.Links to such material as well as requests for it, are considered the same as posting the actual material.
You may not ask for Warez, ROMs, or MP3s or ask for links to such sites containing specified content and you may not provide links to such sites.

That is extracted from the forum rules... and accessing a JP server/service from the US has a nice chance to be illegal or against the TOS of PSOv2...

Seriously man, read the GODDAMN RULES before posting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFB on 2004-11-15 00:31 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Nov 15, 2004, 05:20 AM
I'm going to be an ass here, RFB, but... PSOBB? Y'know? XP You have to give them a Japanese address when you sign up for a game ID, and I'm sure you REALLY live at whatever made-up place you put in... ^_-

He plans to use legit copies of the game on legit official servers. I fail to see the problem here.

Hounding him for wanting to play an import version of PSO here is a little ludicrous, considering all the people here who imported the original GC version, Ep3, Ep1&2 Plus and those of us currently playing PSOBB. Indeed, I'm sure there are people still here who imported v2 when it came out back in the day and played it online, possibly even v1.

That he's asking about a guide that was here for making an account should tell us something...

Seriously, people, calm the hell down. O_o;

Mystil
Nov 15, 2004, 10:30 AM
Why not just come to PSOGC?

Solstis
Nov 15, 2004, 01:17 PM
On 2004-11-15 07:30, Silhouette wrote:
Why not just come to PSOGC?

From what I've heard, it's a tard hard to acquire a Broadband adapter.

Then again... what he's asking for may be even tougher to gather.

Maybe he just wants his uber 1337 HUmar of doom?

Rich_T
Nov 15, 2004, 05:30 PM
As stated previously, with a Japanese import of DC PSO you will have to spoof a japanese address, and use some software to enable you to fill the forms in corectly so that you can purchase a hunters licence ( isao.net sounds familiar for this)
you will also need un used serial codes and access keys.

For a European version:
you will need to have a new legitimate official copy that has un used serial codes and access keys.
the EU version will boot in 60Hz on a US dreamcast, however you may need a boot disc ( ie the paid for, manufactured by datel DC-X) to make it work.

you should be able to connect to the EU, or JP servers from the US with no problem, and without breaking any laws.

If your usinf the EU version, your conecting to official sega servers with an Official version of the game, without spoofing any adresses or anything like that.
even using the JP version your not breaking any rules.

The main problems that you will face are ( asuming your buying the EU version)

Finding un used serial codes and access keys although you can phone Sega europe ( in the UK, international call charges aply), during UK office hours and they will re-set the codes for you, providing their legitiamate ( only aplicable to EU versions of PSO on the Dreamcast)

If youve already played PSO on your dreamcast, you will need to Flash the dreamcasts internal Falsh memory, you can do this with a planetweb browser disk ver1. trying to find a disc to do such a thing is a different matter altogeher.

Uncertanty
Is it worth all the effort, how long will the dreamcast servers stay up for?
i can no longer check to see if PSO is still online in the EU, as i imported ver2 from the US, but as far as im aware the servers are still up, but dont exepect them to stay up forever.

shinobu_seta
Nov 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
Pretty much every gamestop has a GC broad band adaptor in stock.

I think after you obtained a proper Dreamcast, and a broadband adaptor (which is a pretty big IF, they're extremely rare) and a new copy of the game, you would have spent more than just picking up a Gamecube, adaptor and the game.

Then there's the risk of you getting a Dreamcast that's already been online or a serial number and access key that has already been used. I think it would be easier to just go the Episode 1 & 2 plus for GC route.

RFB
Nov 16, 2004, 06:44 AM
On 2004-11-15 02:20, Ian-KunX wrote:
I'm going to be an ass here, RFB, but... PSOBB? Y'know? XP You have to give them a Japanese address when you sign up for a game ID, and I'm sure you REALLY live at whatever made-up place you put in... ^_-

Hey, I never said I was a saint! I've downloaded loads of games, a bit of anime, various OSTs and MP3s, many programs, crack included. But I do NOT ask for any of that in boards, specially if the forum rules specify not to. And I did not ask for help here to register in PSOBB ^_^

And as I said, even if his copy is an original one, it has a nice chance to be against the v2 ToS to do so, that way I can understand people being cautious about telling him how to do what he's asking about, and the way he replied... not polite. at all.