PDA

View Full Version : FOnewm vs. FOney

Miroku77
Nov 12, 2004, 01:31 AM
I was wondering what one IYO is more useful in making a game go by faster. Put simply, which one is better

Mystil
Nov 12, 2004, 07:25 AM
FOnewm.

RA techs = speed.

FOne, basic tech attacks have high delay cause you'll be hit and running around takes longer. FOne is pretty much a supporter(50% of the FOmarls abilities as a supporter). FOnewm is the devistator. They are purely designed for nuking. If you say. . .pair them with a Fomar. .

Need I say more?

Unfortunatly, Fonewms are rare, because of poor opinions of thier usefulness.

Tycho
Nov 12, 2004, 10:58 AM
FOnewearl. FOnewms can't heal.

Miroku77
Nov 12, 2004, 01:20 PM
Im hoping that when you say cant heal, you mean cant heal well http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif But i choose a fonewm. I like his quickfulness. And his damage. I FINALLY got the damage calculator workin. if you have both fonewm and foney with max mst and no spell boosting wep, the fonewm is about 50 stronger. when the foney equips a physco wand, she gets about 40 stronger in the ra techs. Yet she still casts slower. And its only RA techs, she would have to equip a magical peice in order to do gis. FOnewm is for me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tycho
Nov 12, 2004, 02:25 PM
Yay, great. FOnewms can cast fast. Not having Resta bonus, not being able to equip Marina's, Parasol or Umbrella, and not being willing to equip a Chao Stick because of the precious fast-cast ability just isn't going to help much.
Sure, you can nuke for a bit more. Do more damage with weapons even.
Still, for a team of Hunters and Rangers in one of the more annoying areas or quests (*cough* PW 3 or 4), it might be kind of useful if they actually had someone who would insure them of not dying.

The ability to nuke a bit better on masses of enemies is nice. Healing is an absolute necessity.

Mystil
Nov 12, 2004, 05:08 PM
On 2004-11-12 07:58, Tycho wrote:
FOnewearl. FOnewms can't heal.

Not true. Thier max MST is 1500 or so. . . that's about 10-20pts under 1000HP healing. All they'd need is a resta merge that is all. FOnewearl just is not designed for nuking. Our RAfoie does about -3x damage that our SINGLE HITTING Foie spell does. You know how long it'd take to clear mines? Unless you want be a 'wannabe' fomar and use Gifoie.

And might I add, that Fonewms were made for a reason. To be used for what they were intended to good at. Oh an this is a 162 FOnewearl not agreeing with a 168-169 Fonewearl. Should be fun for people to read.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-11-12 14:46 ]</font>

Tycho
Nov 12, 2004, 05:44 PM
Maybe this should be asked first: What do you mean by "makes the game go faster"?

Offline it's probably the FOnewm, online or in multiplayer (or in c-mode or battle) FOnewearl.
Or maybe offline RAmarl. < <;

I still prefer FOnewearl's tech bonuses and MST. :/
I don't want to not be allowed to wear a weapon.

Mystil
Nov 12, 2004, 05:54 PM
Pfft.

To the topic starter, stick with your initial feelings of Fonewn, since you've already started one. FOnewearl is'nt freaking absolute with killing things, they are superior support wise, THAT'S IT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-11-12 14:58 ]</font>

RicoRoyal
Nov 12, 2004, 07:47 PM
On 2004-11-12 14:44, Tycho wrote:
Maybe this should be asked first: What do you mean by "makes the game go faster"?

Offline it's probably the FOnewm, online or in multiplayer (or in c-mode or battle) FOnewearl.

*the following has to do strictly with normal online play (not c-mode or battle)*

Makes the game go faster might have something to do with time it takes to clear areas... yup, that's got to be it. Increased Shifta/Deband range is not going to make any significant differences in terms of how fast a team finishes an area. I might see it helping out quite a bit in PW4, given the size of the floors, as well as the constant dying (requiring fast, efficient S/D). Still, that's just one quest. And even then, it's not really a bright idea for the team to split up from one extreme of a floor to the other (you can't solo much of anything in PW4). You speak of S/D as if it were something that needs to be refilled every three seconds.

As for Resta range, I know first hand that a FOnewm's base range absolutely sucks. But I'd swear there was an item to conpensate for that. Hmm, what was it called? Ah yes, a resta merge. A FOnewearl's base resta range can pretty much get the job done without any additional items. Marina's bag or Resta merge is simply overkill. None of those items hurt the team, but they certainly don't aid enough to make a big enough difference in level clearing times.

Given the above thoughts on Resta and S/D, let us examine what might actually influence the amount of time it takes to clear rooms. The FOnewearl's penetrating megid is a nice plus that helps alot in Ep 2 (try taking out the Gees that show up stacked on top of one another in PW1 jungle - fun!). Still, a FOnewm can quickly overshadow the usefullness of megid simply by carrying around some melee/ranger equipment. My fonewm does quite well with his Angry Fist - Charge Vulc. - Holy Ray equipment set up (now if only I could find that lousy fatsia w/ hit).

All I ever hear from you, Tycho, is how a FOnewearl is only good for RAbarta spamming *cough*FOnewm*cough*, megid, and support, support, support. Still, I've found your casting speeds to be rather slugish in the handfull of games that I've actually played alongside your FOnewearl. 90% of the time that I've played alongside you, I've just seen you standing there waiting for everyone else to do the actual killing (4 players killing, rather than 3 gets a stage cleared faster). My FOnewm not only does a superb job at supporting (this ain't just me talking - ask around), he is also very capable of killing things before the HU's and RA's get to them.

I have great respect for FOnewearl users, in that I know they do quite a bit for the team. Still, it's nothing all that unique. Faster casting speeds on an unarmed FOnewm quickly compensates alot of what the FOnewearl has going for it. I love both classes (I just made a FOnewearl last week), but I honestly think that a FOnewm is better suited (at least at higher levels) for helping the team clear out a room faster (and allowing others to get experience - good megid in ep2 is exp killer for team).

Eanae
Nov 12, 2004, 07:49 PM
On 2004-11-12 11:25, Tycho wrote:
Yay, great. FOnewms can cast fast. Not having Resta bonus, not being able to equip Marina's, Parasol or Umbrella, and not being willing to equip a Chao Stick because of the precious fast-cast ability just isn't going to help much.
Sure, you can nuke for a bit more. Do more damage with weapons even.
Still, for a team of Hunters and Rangers in one of the more annoying areas or quests (*cough* PW 3 or 4), it might be kind of useful if they actually had someone who would insure them of not dying.

The ability to nuke a bit better on masses of enemies is nice. Healing is an absolute necessity.

Since when do FOnewearl's get a resta bonus... Isn't it that FOmarl that gets that? FOnwearls only get simple technique bonus, and have the greatest mst and tp.

Miroku77
Nov 13, 2004, 05:22 AM
um...they do have that boost. And i wasn't posting this to cange anyones minds or to start a fight, but just to see different peoples opinions.

Skorpius
Nov 13, 2004, 06:38 AM
FOnewearls get:
Simple Techs
Megid Penetration
Resta/Anti Range boost

FOnewms get:
Midlevel tech boost
Hard Tech boost

Newms are nukers, and will clear areas faster. People want range because of MORONS that cant gather by the FO. If you have smart players, a FOnewearl is outdone by the FOnewm. I hate having a useless 4th player that is 100% dead weight when there is a HUnewearl or RAmarl on the team :/

Alielle
Nov 13, 2004, 07:00 AM
FOnewearls are cuter.

The end. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tycho
Nov 13, 2004, 07:39 AM
RicoRoyal, I barely remember having played any regular games with you beside Fatsia runs in hard, that might have had to with it.
I can't really see how FOnewms have a greatly superior RAbarta though. I wasn't even planning to hurt any monsters with it.
I know what a Resta Merge is and use one myself on occassions, but don't say that cancels the difference between the two characters. Without using a Resta merge all the time a FOnewm will have crap range. Even then, a FOnewearl can attain fourth level range, while a FOnewm won't get any further than second level range. Except either nuking for a tad more damage (would those 10 extra damage really make a difference compared to the HUs' and RAs' damage?) or being able to cast faster as long as their willing to not wear a weapon (bye-bye vulcans and holy ray), a Newm does not really have bonuses to make up for it either.
Bye the way. Though you are making it sounds like it that much, more Resta range is not overkill. You're assuming teams stick together all the time. While even if you would want to this does not always happen, it's not even a good thing to all stay together that close.
One Del Lily Megid being able to finish off a team in one hit is probably not a good example, but do you think it's useful for a team to all gang up on the same enemy, while at the same time other, not taken care of Del Lilies or Ill Gill, or the even worse Mericarol/kle/cus will backstab your team?
I think not.
Sure. You won't be needing resta every second in Forest.
But then again, I wouldn't really focus my character's abilities on being able to pwn Forest as easily and quickly as possible. If you find it necessary to do so, be my guest.

To summarize this:
- For easy stages nuking may be more important than support (beside SD/JZ, but Newms can do that).
- For challenging stages, support is more useful than nuking.

Skorpius
Nov 13, 2004, 04:08 PM
Range becomes invalid when you have people running up to you for support techs.

Cowboy
Nov 13, 2004, 10:57 PM
Aside from quests, cant you just stop in between rooms for s and d >_>
And with how spur of the moment the necessity for resta tends to be, the more range the better >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cowboy on 2004-11-13 20:02 ]</font>

Solstis
Nov 14, 2004, 12:30 AM
On 2004-11-13 13:08, Skorpius wrote:
Range becomes invalid when you have people running up to you for support techs.

Ah, but I do see Tycho's point on the resta range.

It IS nice to be resta'ed from insanely long distances by a Fonewearl.

However... it really depends on the skill/preference of the player.