PDA

View Full Version : One or two mags?

Boothead
Nov 13, 2004, 09:05 PM
Okie dokie, I'm gonna give it to you nice and short http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
I'm making a FOmarl. One who can melee. But, I want to be able to use techniques too. Do I make one mag with both POW and MIND characteristics? Or two with one mag POW and one mag MIND?
Thank you n_n

Eanae
Nov 13, 2004, 11:19 PM
Two mags. May be a pain to raise, but it'll make each task a whole lot easier for you.

And you're sig is too big. I cant remember the limits cause it's been too long, but read the forum rules. >_>

Solstis
Nov 15, 2004, 01:19 PM
I agree with Eanae (*gasp*).

Erm... you mean POW/DEX, right? You will need quite a bit (50-75? Er...)

Dhylec
Nov 15, 2004, 01:24 PM
2 mags are better than 1
1 high pow & dex for hu'ing/ra'ing, something like 5/135/60/0
other high mind to learn & use techs

Skorpius
Nov 15, 2004, 02:24 PM
Nothing wrong in a 20 50 50 80 mag. Cant switch mags fast enough in battle and tech spamming with a low level FOmarl isn't that great of an idea. Even using a high mind mag to learn techs will put you at a disadvantage, because once you learn a high level tech and switch back to Melee, you wont have the TP to use many techs anymore.

Stick with a HYBRID mag for a HYBRID class.

Eanae
Nov 15, 2004, 04:21 PM
On 2004-11-15 11:24, Skorpius wrote:
Nothing wrong in a 20 50 50 80 mag. Cant switch mags fast enough in battle and tech spamming with a low level FOmarl isn't that great of an idea. Even using a high mind mag to learn techs will put you at a disadvantage, because once you learn a high level tech and switch back to Melee, you wont have the TP to use many techs anymore.

Maybe if you're advanturous, and have the time, make 3 mags. A hybrid, and 2 seperate ones. I do sort of agree that a hyrbid mag may be beneficial for some areas, but some others are better off with strictly one stat added to the mag.

Solstis
Nov 15, 2004, 05:14 PM
On 2004-11-15 13:21, Eanae wrote:

On 2004-11-15 11:24, Skorpius wrote:

Maybe if you're advanturous, and have the time, make 3 mags. A hybrid, and 2 seperate ones. I do sort of agree that a hyrbid mag may be beneficial for some areas, but some others are better off with strictly one stat added to the mag.

20/50/50/80 is fine for a low level hybrid character, but on higher difficulties, you'll find yourself either with not enough mental, or not enough ATA.

So yes, make 3 mags if you're feeling frisky.

Skorpius
Nov 15, 2004, 05:33 PM
Even in high areas, you wont do well with the pure POW or pure MIND mags. When you switch to the POW mag, you wont have the MST to make attack techs work, and you wont have the TP to cast many techs, running out of Fluids rather quickly. If you go Pure MIND, you'll be pretty useless with low level support/healing techs, and attack techs are useless with FOmarls anyway.

I'm talking from personal experience, this saves you form having to make 2-3 mags, and gives you a nice confort zone to grow your character.

Nai_Calus
Nov 15, 2004, 06:31 PM
And the crappy 100 ATP and 160 MST from a piece of shit mixed mag is going to help at all?

Seriously, though, I can't say that I recall having TP problems(Or MST, for that matter) on Zero with him using a good 5/145/50/0 Mag. But then, I have several mags(Ok, more like a dozen...), so for tech learning/primary usage I just got out one of my MIND mags. *shrug* You rarely do both in a single run, so there's no reason to make a crappy mag that lacks on both important stats...

IMO, of course. If you want to go with a mixed mag you're more than welcome to. XP

Dana
Nov 15, 2004, 07:08 PM
i like just the one mag but....................two is much better and will help alot more.....i use one now but main ly i had two......but i'm at the level where my techs get NO STRONGER and my attack works for me.......but if you ant just the one then go for the slightly harder option, i say got for TWO

Skorpius
Nov 15, 2004, 07:37 PM
And the crappy 100 ATP and 160 MST from a piece of shit mixed mag is going to help at all?
Yes. Did you forget that this is Normal-V.Hard?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-11-15 16:37 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Nov 15, 2004, 08:51 PM
On 2004-11-15 16:37, Skorpius wrote:

Yes. Did you forget that this is Normal-V.Hard?

*looks at PSOBB, where he just finished a nice solo run of VHard 8-2(Seabed Lower) without trouble as a L87 melee FOmar, then looks at his current 5/135/60/0 Rati(Raised for a HUnewearl, hence too much DEX)*

...Nope, sure didn't! ^_^

Skorpius
Nov 15, 2004, 09:49 PM
Ok? Where's the mind on the mag, genius? God, people think they got you, but forget the details.

One who can melee. But, I want to be able to use techniques too.
They Hybrid mag will do good for you MST, ATA, and ATP wise. By the time you hit Vhard, you should have a decent Shifta and Zelure to counter the low POW and also have decent TP from the MIND to use those techs more often.

Ketchup345
Nov 15, 2004, 10:02 PM
On 2004-11-15 18:49, Skorpius wrote:
Ok? Where's the mind on the mag, genius? God, people think they got you, but forget the details.

One who can melee. But, I want to be able to use techniques too.
They Hybrid mag will do good for you MST, ATA, and ATP wise. By the time you hit Vhard, you should have a decent Shifta and Zelure to counter the low POW and also have decent TP from the MIND to use those techs more often.

That's what the second Mag is for. One Mag for something like this takes away stat points that could be used to up other stat points. And it takes what, 2 seconds to switch Mags? But the same level S/Z will give an even better effect if you have higher POW on the Mag.

Rarely ever will you need both techs and melee at the same wave of enemies, and if you do, you can often pick enemies off one by one.

And not to mention the origional question was for one or two Mags, one with POW & DEX and another with just MIND or one with all 3 stats.

Nai_Calus
Nov 16, 2004, 12:18 AM
On 2004-11-15 18:49, Skorpius wrote:

On that Mag? There is no mind, because it would be a collosal waste, both for the original character I made it for and for the current character. If you need it spelled out to you, genius, I advocate the usage of TWO mags. Zero's other mag is a nice 185 MIND Chu Chu.

And, y'know, I dunno if FOmarl just comes up woefully short compared to FOmar here or what, but Zero has no trouble at all with TP usage. Without any MIND on his usual Mag and only about five Mind mats used, he still has over 800 TP, and if you're in melee mode you won't need much more than that. Not to mention that if you ever go online, your damage techs are about as useful as Charge weapons in C-mode. And hell, my TP usage is pretty heavy, I seem to be my team's favourite charity case for unwanted techs and my support is all L30 except Resta and Jellen, which are 27 and 29. XP So... Yeah, I resta myself for 45 TP, more than half the damage techs at L30. And face it, I'm a FOmar, my DFP stinks, I need it often(Especially soloing Seabed online at a low-ish level for it. Ow). But... Yeah, I still use Difluids. And techcasting in offline mode? Out comes le Chu, and I kick far more ass than I ever would with a hybrid mag that would give me 210 less MST. XP

And since FOmarl is so vastly superior to the FOmar in every way imaginable, she should have no trouble with just her base MST when she's doing melee, right? n.n

Skorpius
Nov 16, 2004, 02:19 AM
The TP shortage is from the over leveled techs you can use with massive mind, and then switching to a pow mag... and losing that TP. Read my stuff.. please -.-
Pow mags dont offer enough MST to learn the important techs fast enough, either. To each thier own, though. I was only offering a comprimise of the authors wishes.

Nai_Calus
Nov 16, 2004, 03:25 AM
Read MY stuff, Skorp. -_-

I realize that FOmarl has the worst MST/TP of the FOs, but at those levels she's about even with FOmar, just like she always is, and from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I do not have a TP shortage even with vastly over-levelled techs. I have over 800 TP, as I said, on my base MST, and I don't find myself going through it fast enough to be sitting there saying "Oh my God I need more MIND on my Mag I'm running out of TP and fluids so fast it's sick!!1111one111" >_>

And what? Really? POW/DEX mags don't help you learn techs? Where would I be without your wisdom and insight, Skorp! I never realized that! :o I mean, whoa, I always thought that tech requirements were based on ATP, not MST! Who would have thought? Did you read my post at all? You know, the part where I noted my support of the original poster's option of making TWO MAGS? Y'know, one of which is a MIND mag for LEARNING TECHS AND FOR CASTING? No, no I don't think you did.

Ah well, I think I've given the original poster my views by now: Go with two Mags, you'll be glad you did in the long run. Don't bother with a mixed one you'll basically be throwing away in favour of something more useful before long.

Sorry for derailing your thread with Skorp. ^^

Skorpius
Nov 16, 2004, 06:04 AM
On 2004-11-13 18:05, Boothead wrote:
Okie dokie, I'm gonna give it to you nice and short http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
I'm making a FOmarl. One who can melee. But, I want to be able to use techniques too. Do I make one mag with both POW and MIND characteristics? Or two with one mag POW and one mag MIND?
Thank you n_n
The hybrid mag offers MST to learn techs, but keeps the TP to use them. You never experienced TP shortage, because you probably didnt learn overleveled techniques. The Hybrid mag (which I am using on my low level FOmarl now, without a problem) can also help with techs such as Gifoie (kills dogs good in forest) or gizonde (these two, incase you dont have a mulihit weapon like soul eater yet). In later levels, it still is helpful, but by the time you get into ult, you should have leveled another mag by then. For Norm-Ult, use a Hybridic Mag, for Ult, y ou should have a Pow/Dex ready. Basically, just don't make a mind mag at all, it won't help much anyway.

I noted my support of the original poster's option of making TWO MAGS? Y'know, one of which is a MIND mag for LEARNING TECHS AND FOR CASTING? No, no I don't think you did.

When you switch to the POW mag, you wont have the MST to make attack techs work, and you wont have the TP to cast many techs, running out of Fluids rather quickly.
----------
The TP shortage is from the over leveled techs you can use with massive mind, and then switching to a pow mag... and losing that TP.

I'm also talking from personal experience, and since this is FOmarl, and I'm currently leveling a FOmarl in the SAME EXACT WAY, I apologize for having to repeat myself several times...

:leaves topic alone:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-11-16 03:12 ]</font>