PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P.O.D.B.

Guile
Nov 15, 2004, 03:27 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1493725/11132004/ol_dirty_bastard.jhtml

Ol' Dirty Bastard (from the Wu-Tang Clan) died...I was so sad to find this out. I was just flippin through the channels when the news said stay tuned to hear about a well known rappers death. So I watched and I could'nt believe my ears when they said it.
Rest In Peace Dirt McGirt

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 15, 2004, 06:40 AM
Mac Dre from this area is also a rapper who has recently passed. Less well known than ODB, but still worthy of note?
These stupid things that these kids around here are saying about someone's death is just maddening.
For example:

"Does he have a new CD coming out?! I'm gonna go buy that outta respect! I just downloaded and burned all his CD's before."

Or

"I wish he would have died in a cooler way than an overdose. An overdose is just... (cannot even finish his sentence)"

There are no words to express what the theme around here is.
People don't DIE for the sake of a publicity stunt to sell a NEW CD.
Rappers are not OBLIGATED to die in a way that is COOL in your EYES.

That will have to do for words to express what is going on.

No wonder people are quick to point out RAP as a genre they really dislike.
The "30 years of Hip Hop" history shows on VH1 that aired recently helped shed some light to those not in the know but the masses just don't understand.

Rap IS commercial.
Ex: After a concert, whether broadcast on TV or not, a bandmember/rapper might yell out:
"Album in stores NOW!(Or insert date here.)"

Damn it really isn't about the music anymore is it?
-New rappers rapping about the money they DON'T have.
-The almost required 3 types of songs on any rap CD:Gangster/murder/killing people song, Club single/music video/I got a lot of money song, and the sexually explicit just for the sake of being sexually explicit song.

Talib Kweli I saw recently on MTV being quickly interviewed like 1 question at a time.
One question was about "Who is the best rapper?"
He replied to the tone of there are a lot of great MC's(not "rappers") out there. Its not about who's better than someone else. You just have to voice your sound and your message. He cited Mos Def, Common, Nas, and Jay-Z as some names. He didn't say 50 cent, Cash money millionaires, etc.

It was funny to see Ice-T on the VH1 shows saying how 'these cash money kids were just broke, what else can they rap about?! Just like: Hey!, look at my watch!!'

I like the rap genre/rap music. I just don't like the direction its heading in now.
Someone on PSOW said before in a defense to "rap is crap", Old school Hip hop >New Rap. Damn straight.

GuerillaPimp
Nov 15, 2004, 07:34 PM
This year is a sad year for celebrities/entertainers.

Christopher Reeves
Ronald Reagan {SP}
Ray Charles
Rick James
Russell Jones (ODB)

I feel like im forgetting a couple, but those came to mind up front. With only 6 or so weeks left in 2004, kinda makes you wonder who's "next" so to speak. RIP to those we lost to those, whether it was an entertainer, military personel, or even that old lady down the street that you hated, RIP

Peace

Eihwaz
Nov 15, 2004, 08:15 PM
Rodney Dangerfield died too. >_>;

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 16, 2004, 05:28 AM
On 2004-11-15 17:15, Eihwaz wrote:
Rodney Dangerfield died too. >_>;

Yeah, my dad's favorite comedian/actor.
"Just looking at him makes me laugh!"
"Good to know he finally got his 'Respect'"

My dad missed one of his Vegas shows by mere hours a few years back. He never got to see him do his stand up in person. Man, Rodney made some good movies though!

-Back to School
-Caddyshack
(just some people have opinions on whether this movie is good or not)
-My 5 Wives(I don't remember the exact name of the movie)
-Lovebug
And of course a few more I might have left out. He was a regular on The Tonight Show as well.

Ronald Reagan's death was a highly public event televised for quite a while.
I don't think the others got half as much coverage as he did but he was president of the US of course, the others being more just US citizens/celebs.

Christopher Reeve passing is kind of sad to see. A victim of circumstance if there ever was one. His foundation created for a cure lives on though.

Madzozs
Nov 16, 2004, 09:52 AM
- Yasser Arafat
- about 1000 US soldiers
- a lot of civilians killed by the "war"

kevlar_pso
Nov 16, 2004, 02:33 PM
The Kerry Edwards ticket died also. Ha, something politically charged was brought up so I had up the Amps.
The comedian who played the seagull on The Little Mermaid died this year too. Buddy Hackett was his name and I know he was a well know comedian, but that is what a significant portion of PSOWorlders will remember him for.

Guile
Nov 17, 2004, 07:23 PM
On 2004-11-15 03:40, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
Mac Dre from this area is also a rapper who has recently passed. Less well known than ODB, but still worthy of note?
These stupid things that these kids around here are saying about someone's death is just maddening.
For example:

"Does he have a new CD coming out?! I'm gonna go buy that outta respect! I just downloaded and burned all his CD's before."

Or

"I wish he would have died in a cooler way than an overdose. An overdose is just... (cannot even finish his sentence)"

There are no words to express what the theme around here is.
People don't DIE for the sake of a publicity stunt to sell a NEW CD.
Rappers are not OBLIGATED to die in a way that is COOL in your EYES.

That will have to do for words to express what is going on.

No wonder people are quick to point out RAP as a genre they really dislike.
The "30 years of Hip Hop" history shows on VH1 that aired recently helped shed some light to those not in the know but the masses just don't understand.

Rap IS commercial.
Ex: After a concert, whether broadcast on TV or not, a bandmember/rapper might yell out:
"Album in stores NOW!(Or insert date here.)"

Damn it really isn't about the music anymore is it?
-New rappers rapping about the money they DON'T have.
-The almost required 3 types of songs on any rap CD:Gangster/murder/killing people song, Club single/music video/I got a lot of money song, and the sexually explicit just for the sake of being sexually explicit song.

Talib Kweli I saw recently on MTV being quickly interviewed like 1 question at a time.
One question was about "Who is the best rapper?"
He replied to the tone of there are a lot of great MC's(not "rappers") out there. Its not about who's better than someone else. You just have to voice your sound and your message. He cited Mos Def, Common, Nas, and Jay-Z as some names. He didn't say 50 cent, Cash money millionaires, etc.

It was funny to see Ice-T on the VH1 shows saying how 'these cash money kids were just broke, what else can they rap about?! Just like: Hey!, look at my watch!!'

I like the rap genre/rap music. I just don't like the direction its heading in now.
Someone on PSOW said before in a defense to "rap is crap", Old school Hip hop >New Rap. Damn straight.

I agree, Rap these days is nothing like it was. More than half the music I listen to is Rap. And just about 90% was made in the early 90's or ealier. There's more than just one genre of rap, there is rap based on Coasts (Westcoast, Eastcoast) Oldschool, Hip-hop, Underground, Southern, Gospal, Gangsta, etc.

People love to hate what they don't understand.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 18, 2004, 06:32 AM
On 2004-11-17 16:23, Guile wrote:

I agree, Rap these days is nothing like it was. More than half the music I listen to is Rap. And just about 90% was made in the early 90's or ealier. There's more than just one genre of rap, there is rap based on Coasts (Westcoast, Eastcoast) Oldschool, Hip-hop, Underground, Southern, Gospal, Gangsta, etc.

People love to hate what they don't understand.

Right on.
The only thing in my CD player currently is NAS' Illmatic, released in '94. A daily listen for me and I haven't been hooked to a CD for so long.

Someone I knew has a nice Rap CD collection going for him. He would spend a lot of time in record stores hunting down out of print NWA or something that he had not picked up yet. If I had any questions about rap I would know to ask him first.

Jay-Z is retired, from what? a solo career?
He is continuing to pump out new tracks.
He looks out of place in a Linkin Park collaboration though. WTF, crazy MTV money making stuff.

Its good to see underground stuff in a mainstream media form:

ESPN NBA 2K5 has some Del the funky homosapien and Hieroglyphics in it. It helps pass time in a boring menu driven Franchise mode.