PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door-A Simple Review

Tact
Nov 22, 2004, 09:22 PM
Okay, so I have the game, and I've decided to make a simple review of it, like Kuda has done for some games. I guess I can start with the Graphics, I guess.

Graphics: What to say, what to say...Aha! The motion of the characters in this game is much more fluid than in the first game. As you run up to lay the smackdown on something with your hammer, you know Mario's running, and not doing a series of short jumps to get around. As you stroll around the game's first town, you see broken windows, graffiti on the brick walls, and the ambience, if I can call it that, is great. There's even some gallows in the main square, and if you look at it, the rope (unoccupied, thankfully) sways and moves.

Gameplay: If you're looking for a humorous RPG and not a totally serious one, this game's for you. As you progress through the storyline, you find some great dialogue. "This machine isn't armed with tissues, you know!" The game also takes advantage of Mario's paper form and has you exploit it to solve some puzzles. (for example, if there's a broken bridge, you can have Mario fold himself into a paper airplane and fly across the gap). As for the battle system, it is turn-based, and you can do special mini-challenges called Action Commands to do more damage. (Example: To do extra damage for Mario's jump, press the A button before he hits the enemy and he will bounce up off of the enemy and land on it again) You fight in front of an audience that will cheer for or against you, depending on how well you do.

You will notice I don't have a Sound section, but that is because I don't really know what to place there...I will edit if I reach a verdict. Also, I have not placed ratings on my categories, because I'd like you to think and rate it for yourself. I hope you like this review, and I will accept any constructive criticism.