PDA

View Full Version : 35,000+ kills down and...

trypticon
Nov 29, 2004, 01:10 AM
First a warning about what is to follow. Some of what is written in here may appear to have been answered previously in a number of stickies. By the title, a few may be able to guess that this thread is a complaint about the Sealed J Sword, and my luck, or lack thereof, in bringing it to an unsealable state. So, while I would probably expect the thread to be locked by some zealous mod who may or may not read what is written here, along with a number of flames by... perhaps Skorpious, let me get started.

Today at about 3:08 PM Pacific Standard time, I struck down enemy 35,000 with the Sealed J sword. I have read that this is one the reported magic number of kills that should make the sword USEable. I can report with a great deal of certainty that it did NOT become Useable at all. Before I go any further, I should also state that this is a legit Sealed J Sword.

This leads me to several questions, and I'll put them all down here for the heck of it.

Are the kill counts different between PSO and PSO+? By asking this, I mean, since I switched to PSO plus about midway in the kill count, did it reset that count?

Are there different kill counts for offline use and online use? This might make sense, considering about half the kills took place online, before my beloved computers untimely death.

Does the kill count, as I have believe for some time now, differ as much as the photon percentages do between different J swords? This would make a LOT of sense, considering all the different kill counts reported before unsealings.

If a sword is duplicated, as I had (regretably) done a few times during the first half of the total kills, trying to narrow down the needed kills so I could get the unsealing kill on tape, does the kill count reset, or the sword become permanently unsealable, as Violet Skye had suggested to me may be a possibility a while back?

I'm just not sure anymore. These are some good questions, even if some people may swear that they have been answered already, and I'm not really up to trying to figure any of them out, if it means I have to go out and collect half the needed kills again offline.

Let me sum this up for everyone who thinks that finding a Sealed J sword would rock, because then you could "enjoy" the time spent unsealing it (this statement intended for a single person). It is not fun, in any sense of the word. I'm not sure about all the different reported kill counts, but off the top of my head, I can remember the following reported: 23,000 kills from our resident script reader Barubary, 2,300 kills as an original report out of Japan, 32,000 kills from some guy in one of the threads ages ago on here, 30,000 kills as reported by a Japanese Nintendo Magazine, 35,000 kills as apparently reported by Sonic Team a while back, 50,000 kills reported as a possible number by Auracom (to be fair, he did report that it was a lot more than 23,000 when considering his own kill count and adding it to that which Muff reported before), and 100,000 (as reported as hearsay) from Kef. These numbers are VASTLY different from each other! Considering that both Nintendo, and Sonic Team have apparently reported different numbers, as well as the report from Barubary, whom I've never chatted with personally, but who apparently had some dealings with my wife once upon a time, and has never directly steered me wrong, the mystery continues to plague me.

I'll break down the "fun" of collecting the proposed needed kills. In NORMAL, with a level 200 character, it still took me about 100 hours of play time to get around 35,500 kills, most of them offline (so I don't seem like such a slow ass). This offered me no sense of challenge, no chance of finding any useful items, and absolutely NO sense of fun, whatsoever. It did imprint the map for a certain group of intolerable offline quests onto the back of my brain for what may well be the rest of my life. But it didn't bring the sword to an unsealable state, and it didn't bring me the smile I was promised to find those hours worth my time for the longevity of what I had in mind for a story arc in Episode 11 of my series.

In other reguards:

Tycho, I'm very happy to see you putting up your counts and such for the newer quests here. It's nice to see posts from you, since I can't get online these days. Don't give in to the crap people give you over the numbers you've collected personally. You are a talented player (if the word talent can really apply to PSO) and a great Force on top of that, despite what you say.

Until later, this is Adam, signing out.

Skorpius
Nov 29, 2004, 02:37 AM
Why did you single me out..?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-11-28 23:39 ]</font>

Deus-Irae
Nov 29, 2004, 04:58 AM
how do you know its legit? did you find it? if not...

you have a lot of variables and questions up there. online, offline, Ep1/2 vs. +, duping (???). sounds like you were all over the place with this "legit sword". im not sure what to tell ya.

no one ever said it would be fun or easy. if you found it legit, then thats a least 1/2 the fun and accomplishment. unlocking is just a bonus you get from playing with the coveted rare that you obtained.

sounds like you made the situation complicated for yourself.

On 2004-11-28 23:37, Skorpius wrote:
Why did you single me out..?

who the hell are you?

Skorpius
Nov 29, 2004, 05:03 AM
On 2004-11-28 22:10, trypticon wrote:
First a warning about what is to follow. Some of what is written in here may appear to have been answered previously in a number of stickies. By the title, a few may be able to guess that this thread is a complaint about the Sealed J Sword, and my luck, or lack thereof, in bringing it to an unsealable state. So, while I would probably expect the thread to be locked by some zealous mod who may or may not read what is written here, along with a number of flames by... perhaps Skorpious, let me get started.

One of two people that got a mention in this topic.

Ketchup345
Nov 29, 2004, 07:54 AM
It is said that the 2,300 may have been a mistake when read by an American player, due to the position of the comma/period difference between the American and Japanese systems.

1) As said, are you sure it was a legitimate in the first place?
2) Are you positive that you killed over 35,000? Killing enemies in those large may seem like you killed many more than you did, unless you recorded every single kill.
3) Did you find the SJS yourself and keep it until now? Because if someone else ever had owned it; it may not be legit or they may have seriously overestimated the number of kills.

Posted by Mix in another forum from an IM conversation (I assume) with Arlisan; which I still need to add to my sticky:

<Arslan> Have a bunch of info about Blue Burst, nowhere to post it...
<Arslan> Picked up the strategy guide.
<Arslan> Parasite Gene: Flow, is available...
<Arslan> J Sword = Unlocked at 23K kills, official...
<Arslan> Ep 4, new rare enemies as well as reguars, no stats on them till the Perfect Guide, advertised but not dated.

He left before I came back to tell him about here, so I just decided to copy and paste it for you to see.
Credit Arislan, of course.

Even though it is for Blue Burst, I'd assume ST didn't change much at all from what was already available on the GC/XBox (meaning keep everything the same besides the PG:F and the RR).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2004-11-30 13:44 ]</font>

Hrith
Nov 29, 2004, 08:50 AM
I can assure you duping won't alter a legit SJS.

I can also assure you on/offline status do combine, just remember to always bank it before quitting a game.

and I NEVER said it was 100,000 kills; I've always corroborated Barubary's figures.
Dunno where you heard that, but well, nevermind, cleared up now.

Like Deus, I'd add that you must have found it yourself, or esle...

Tycho
Nov 29, 2004, 06:39 PM
You're saying the normal runs don't have good drops. Shouldn't you have been doing runs for either S-parts v1.01 (or whatever, the Android ATA shield thingy) or an invisible guard? I think the enemy numbers in Unsealed door and Seek my Master aren't all that bad.
I really don't know much about J-Swords, nor about the unsealing thereof, but...

Thank you, I don't really know what to say x.x;, you're making me blush. ._.

I'm really glad you like it. I'll try to continue on it, to try to make a guide bigger and more useful than the current one. I think the x-mas quest is getting uploaded in a day. Need to renew, my license expired without me keeping track of the date. <_<