PDA

View Full Version : Cable Not Found?

PJ
Nov 30, 2004, 07:29 PM
After so long I finally have a Crossover Cable. I'd be on right now if...

My GC could pick up the cable >_< It says there's no connection and to check to see if the cable is attached (Which it is)

Should I just restart the connection?

EDIT: Thanks for the help VS, I'll call my ISP later today and see if I can get that done ^_^ (I just got my MAC codething for the BBA now)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2004-12-04 12:26 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Nov 30, 2004, 10:44 PM
why are you using a crossover cable? Are you trying to use ICS? Give a little info on how you are trying to set this up and maybe I can help you get it working.

PJ
Dec 1, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cable into GC (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/PJ_SC/Techsupport/Cablemodem2.jpg)

Cable in modem (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/PJ_SC/Techsupport/Cablemodem1.jpg)

If this is the wrong cable, I'll be so happy and mad at the same time (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/PJ_SC/Techsupport/DSC00657.jpg)

I'm using a Crossover cable 'cause I was told that's what I needed. Maybe the name of the product will help in the finding out my problem?

VioletSkye
Dec 1, 2004, 07:35 PM
Wrong cable.

You only use a crossover (patch) cable when directly connecting two machines together to form a network. For instance if you wanted to connect your GC to your PC to use ICS (internet connection sharing) you would use a patch cable so that the send and receive pins are aligned properly to allow data to flow back and forth.

However, a cable/DSL modem is already crosswired, so you need to use a standard ethernet cable. Using the crossover cable like you have setup will not allow data to flow back and forth between the GC and the modem.

So, just swap out the crossover cable with a regular ethernet cable and you should be good to go.

The only other issue that I can see is that your ISP's DHCP server won't recognize the MAC on your BBA. Without getting obverly technical most ISP's utilize a DHCP server which is responsible for assigning IP's and authenticating MAC's on their system. If their DHCP server doesn't recognize the MAC and refuses to assign an IP to it so that it can be allowed on their network, you'll get the DHCP error when trying to connect to Sega's servers.

Many cable providers allow 1 IP per account which is why people normally use a switch or router with their service so they don't have to pay extra for more IP addresses (since the router will assign an IP to each device connected to it.) In reality, you can usually get the DHCP server to resolve an IP for at least one more device, so try powercycling the modem and reconnecting.

If you still receive the error, then you have a few options.
1. Get a router
2. Call the ISP and ask if they can manually register the MAC on the BBA
3. Pay extra for 1 more IP address

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-12-01 19:16 ]</font>

PJ
Dec 1, 2004, 08:50 PM
Ok, so the straight cable was wrong, and now the crossover calbe is wrong. Funky n.n

Ok, atleast I know what to do now =/

Thanks Violet ^_^

VioletSkye
Dec 1, 2004, 10:12 PM
Heh, the straight cable is the right one for connecting directly to the modem. Who told you the straight cable was the wrong one lol?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=91301&forum=3&1

"If you are planning on connecting your BBA directly to your cable modem than you need a standard ethernet cable. In fact you would use an ethernet cable even if you purchased a router or hub. "

: P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-12-01 19:18 ]</font>

PJ
Dec 2, 2004, 08:04 AM
So the straight cable IS the standard ethernet cable? @_@;;;

Well, that just means I need to find ouot what was wrong with that one =/

Wait, could that mean I need a router ffor this cable? I'll post what the message thing shows up after school @_@;;;

And how much do routers usually cost?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2004-12-02 05:20 ]</font>

Dhylec
Dec 2, 2004, 01:17 PM
a router is much cheaper now.. a quick search can qive ya a good idea
for example (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dblended%26field-keywords%3Drouter%26results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26store-name%3Dall-product-search/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-1%5Felectronics%5F6427642%5F2/104-0626738-0098315)

PJ
Dec 4, 2004, 09:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/PJ_SC/Techsupport/Problem.gif

Is there something I can do on the computer to fix this or do I need the router?

I blocked out the ISP/Hardware thing, so I hope that's not something you need to see XP

VioletSkye
Dec 4, 2004, 11:27 AM
That window generally pops up when you try to use the same IP address on multiple machines at the same time. In your network options for PSO, you need to make sure it is set to obtain an IP automatically.

If you have it set to obtain an IP automatically, then try the following steps: (this will be for Windows 9x/Millenium - which it looks like you have.)

1.Click the Start button and select Run from the pop-up menu; the Run dialog box will open.

2.In the Open text box, type winipcfg.exe

3.Click the OK button; the IP Configuration dialog box will open.

4.Check the pop-up menu at the top of the dialog box. If it refers to anything other than your Ethernet adaptor (for instance, it may say PPP Adapter if you recently used a dial-in connection), use the pop-up menu to select your Ethernet adaptor, for instance 3 Com Etherlink PCI.

5.Click the Release All button.

6.Click the Renew All button; the address fields will refresh with new numbers appropriate for the current location of the computer.

7.Click the OK button.

If this fixes the conflict but still yields a DHCP error, then your best bet is to get a router and then you won't have to mess with any of this lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-12-04 08:39 ]</font>

PJ
Dec 4, 2004, 11:56 AM
Looks like I'm getting a router =/

Unless I can set a DHCP Hostname? Obviously I have no idea what any of this means XP

Basically, when I changed it to automatically find IP Address, I didn't get the error on the computer screen, I got something on the GC that basically says it couldn't find a DHCP.

First it says;

Requesting to DHCP

Then it says;

Could not connect to the network.
Failed to create an IP address from DHCP.
DHCP server may not exist or may be down.

That's after following everything you said VS, so I assume I need the router.

Isn't fun guiding a computard through this? :wacko: (Although for some reason I feel like I'm slowly but surely inching along...)

VioletSkye
Dec 4, 2004, 12:13 PM
LOL, don't worry, in time it will all make sense.

I figured that it would resolve the conflict but still give a DHCP error. All that means is that your BBA's MAC address is not registered with your ISP's DHCP server, so it is refusing to give your BBA an IP to use on their network. If you want, you can try calling your ISP and asking them if they can add the BBA MAC to their DHCP server database. I would advise telling them that it is a laptop though and not a GC (that will avoid any unnecessary hassle.) They won't know that the MAC is for your BBA and not a laptop anyway. Tell them that you don't wish to load their software onto your machine and would like them to manually register this MAC.

At that point, they may tell you that you are only allowed 1 IP address as part of your service but that you can pay for additional IP addresses if you wish. If that happens, tell them no thank you, and just get a router. I recommend Netgear. Linksys and D-Link are popular too, but the best rated wireless router atm is the Netgear and I've had both Linksys and D-Link routers burn out quicker in the past when repairing networks for clients that purchased those brands. I'm not saying they are bad (in fact some people swear by them and get great performance from them) but I still like Netgear.

PJ
Dec 4, 2004, 02:08 PM
I shall do that, but what exactly is the MAC for the BBA? Is it a series of numbers or something?

VioletSkye
Dec 4, 2004, 02:19 PM
If you pop it out and turn it over you will see a white sticker that has a set of 12 alpha-numeric characters starting with 000.

PJ
Dec 4, 2004, 03:29 PM
On 2004-12-01 16:35, VioletSkye wrote:
In reality, you can usually get the DHCP server to resolve an IP for at least one more device, so try powercycling the modem and reconnecting.

Ahh, I missed that bit, I should probably try that T_T

So that's just unplugging the modem for a minute (With the ethernet cable in, of course) and then plugging it back in?

VioletSkye
Dec 4, 2004, 03:40 PM
yep ; )

Leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds. Also make sure that all your settings in the pso network options are set to automatic. Also make sure that in the proxy screen, that all the areas are blank.

VioletSkye
Dec 5, 2004, 12:47 PM
Just to let you know, Best Buy has a good sale going on this week on routers. they have a Netgear for $19.99 (regularly $59.99 but has an instant rebate of $30 and a mail-in rebate of $10.) They also have a few wireless routers on sale, so if you have a Best Buy nearby, you might want to check there. I'm buying a few of the Netgear routers just to have on hand.

PJ
Dec 5, 2004, 02:01 PM
Are the wireless routers very reliable? Will I be disconnected frequently? >_>;;;

I'd ask you to buy one, then send it to me, and then I pay you back somehow, but not only would that be very stupid, but it'll also take a long time for me to get any money XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2004-12-05 11:08 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Dec 5, 2004, 02:29 PM
A wireless router would work well, but it looks like you're GC and modem are in the same room so it probably isn't necessary unless you plan on having another machine in another room on the network also.

Here is the model I was referring to. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384470326&type=product&skuId=4625347&tab=6&productCategoryId=cat01029) You'll see the $30 and $10 rebate forms you need to fill in also. The $30 mail-in rebate only applies to online orders. If you buy the router at the actual store, they will give you the $30 rebate instantly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-12-05 11:30 ]</font>