PDA

View Full Version : So You Ignore My Skills Then Tell Me Ive Wasted 2 Years?

Deathscythealpha
Dec 4, 2004, 10:52 AM
A housemate rant.

My housemates have decided that we're going to get Broadband internet installed. It doesnt matter that our housing people are going to install it for free for us next year, they want to get it. Leon has taken the reigns and is running the whole show.

To bad he doesnt have a real fucking clue about computers.

Its amazing some of the crap he spews out of his mouth and how much damage he is actually doing. Hes offered to 'sort out' my computer for me before hand, but after doing a 2 year computing course i know how to do most of it myself. Ive watched him fuck up atleast 3 computers/laptops in the past year while using his expert skills, but people keep going back to him.

Example last night. Steve bought a new graphics card and decided that last night was the best time to install it. I watched as he struggled to open the case and then as Leon jumped into the innards.

'You might want to take that jumper off' i offered, dont want static from your clothing damaging anything. That was ignored. He went straight for the graphics card and started pulling, wiggling from side to side and other vein attempts at removing the card.

'Whoever installed this stuck it in to tight' he moaned.

'Um, that clip there is holding it in' i pointed out, seeing the green clip that was strapped across the bottem of the slot and pinching the card in place. I get no reply.

'Man, it is stuck in tight, it just wont move' Leon grunts.

'Theres still that clip'

'I just cant move it'

'How about pushing that clip?'

He finally attempts to push the clip. He gives it a weak nudge then goes back to yanking. No second attempts or anything. Ok, the clip was down tight, so i go to the toolkit and get a screwdriver, you can easily slide that into the clip and pull it aside.

'DONT DO THAT!' he yells. What? Nudge the clip that you have shown little interest in so you can get the graphics card out? A single screwdriver isnt going to do much damage unless i scratch it across the top of the motherboard. How else does he think the people put the screws in on a PC? Psychic powers? At this point i leave the monkey to his job. 10 minutes later Matt walks into my room.

'If its any consolation, Paul, it was the clip holding the card in place'.

I shake my head with disbelief.

Back to the broadband. Hes chosen networking equipment that is not only overpriced but is incompatible with soem peoples PC. I tell him ive foudn it cheaper and that i wouldnt trust shopping from PC World as they have a history of being bad. I get a 'Im right, your wrong' lecture and he walks off. This isnt the first time he's done this, and last time when i pointed out that i did a 2 year college course on computing with Networking being one of my final pieces i got.

'That was a year ago, computers have moved on and your course is probably void now'

Im guessing that was the nice way to say 'Youve wasted 2 years of your life'. Way to knock the self esteem there Leon.

Urgh, i dont want part of this Broadband crap at my house but im stuck with it. My help and skills are ignored and i just see them making fuck up after fuck up. This is costing me way more then it should do and i dont know how to get out of this. I think a proper nights sleep would help aswell.

I think i lost the point and general direction of this rant.

KodiaX987
Dec 4, 2004, 12:04 PM
You don't need to do anything. Password your computer like there's no tomorrow so that no one but you has access to it. Next, sit and wait. Your roomies will fuck up computer after computer and it'll be their own damned fault. Never, ever offer to help. Had someone treated me like that, I would've wished his computer would fry dead. You have no reason to help a bunch of dumbfucks who aren't even able to take a suggestion.

And if you don't want to put up with the broadband, stick to your dialup. Easy config, stable. Watch as your so-called friends get numerous troubles for buying POS network hardware.

Oh yeah. If they ask you to repair their computer, say that it's their own fucking problem and close the door in their face. You have much better things to do with your life than repair computers for a lose cause.

_Sinue_
Dec 7, 2004, 02:01 AM
God.. that sounds exactly like our IT guy at work. You really can't beat these people at their own game.. so you might as well have a little fun with them. We lost three hours of production one night because I decided to unplug the wireless router to our network. Just a simple disconnection... and it takes him three hours of fiddling with the network settings - and then declairing the card's ethernet port dead before he noticed the loose cord hanging down as he tried to open up the case.

This guy, for the life of him, couldn't figure out why the Network was going dead on our Glassware computer. He specifically trained people using the computer to just shut it off and re-boot when that happens. Ok.. so sit there and watch people resetting this computer 20-30 times a night (which, by the way, takes forever since many of the introductory software packages we NEVER use are loaded into the task-bar.. hello.. ever hear of MSCONFIG?) Anyhow.. I get tired of hearing people complain about it so I take a look. Turns out he has the computer's mosue set up for single-clicking. Everyone using it was double-clicking - which opened the program twice.

I'm not sure exactly -WHY- this was causing the network problem.. but simply shutting down one of the programs was all it took to fix it. So I switch it back to double-click, clean up the un-necessary crap from the task-bar, added some useful programs to the quick launch like calculator.. and I get chastized for it.

Next thing I know, the system was restored completely back to the way it was, and running like crap - per usual.

Oh well.. no need to get angry.. I'll just unplug the ethernet cord again. Maybe I'll end up getting a whole new system for my workstation if I take a screenshot of the desk-top to use as wallpaper, hide the start bar and icons, then totally remap the keyboard and invert the mouse for good measure. He'll never figure that shit out.

What more can you expect from someone who litterally LOST two full skids stacked with new PC's somewhere on the production floor.

Deathscythealpha
Dec 7, 2004, 05:16 AM
On 2004-12-06 23:01, _Sinue_ wrote:
God.. that sounds exactly like our IT guy at work. You really can't beat these people at their own game.. so you might as well have a little fun with them. We lost three hours of production one night because I decided to unplug the wireless router to our network. Just a simple disconnection... and it takes him three hours of fiddling with the network settings - and then declairing the card's ethernet port dead before he noticed the loose cord hanging down as he tried to open up the case.
I'm not sure exactly -WHY- this was causing the network problem.. but simply shutting down one of the programs was all it took to fix it. So I switch it back to double-click, clean up the un-necessary crap from the task-bar, added some useful programs to the quick launch like calculator.. and I get chastized for it.

Next thing I know, the system was restored completely back to the way it was, and running like crap - per usual.

Wait, hes the IT Guy and he didnt do something as basic as checking if everything was connected? Thats like the first thing you learn to do as it saves so much time to find a loose wire or card then it does to go through everything only to find it at the end.

I can only guess those networking problems were due to way to much stuff running at once, taking up a lot of neccessary resources and just cluttering the plac. You seemed to have the right idea, so those chastizing you seem to be foolish muppets.

Well my housemates are getting the brunt of one of my sulks at the minute for bing even worse then just be Computer Fucktards. Two nights on the trot now theyve managed to wake me up at unsociable hours. Its not fun to be woken when someone comes back drunk, upset and decides to try trashing the house. I had to be up way early for work the next day and its so hard to keep a smile at work when you feel your goign to drop to the floor and youve got some moron not understandign the concept of 'Buy ANYTHING, get this game for £19.99.

Then last night they come back and decide to hold a conversation in the kitchen. I live above the kitchen and can normally here everyword when people are talking. When people are shouting i can hear it even better. In the end i tottered down the stairs and just yeleld at the to Shut The Fuck Up. Ive now got another day of work that im too knackered to do properly.

Time to look into moving i think.

_Sinue_
Dec 7, 2004, 10:25 AM
You just have no idea how dumb this guy is. Our main server, which hosts the Stumps website is sitting in a corner upstairs - on the floor. It's not even on a rack or a table or anything. Pieces of it are strewn about, and connected by a jumble of wires that resembles the kind of unfathomable knots Christmas lights form into after a year of inactivity.

Even that wouldn't be SO bad.. except that the upstairs has been deemed a "lost cause, too costly to fix" by our company. See.. the roof is leaking heavily. In many areas (including the server room) you can see clear sky through the roof. Since it's "lost" noone bothers to go up there and clean it. Hence, it's dirty and infested with all manner of bugs and rodents. With no heating or ventalation, the temprature upstairs drops to the point you can see your breath in the winter, and so hot that it will actually set off our ADT fire alarms in the summer.

It just goes to show that you don't have to know how to do your job, to get a decent position. You just have to know more about it than the person hiring you. As my father used to say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 9, 2004, 02:06 AM
On 2004-12-04 07:52, Deathscythealpha wrote:

'That was a year ago, computers have moved on and your course is probably void now'

Hehe. That was a good one. It made me laugh a bit.

What exactly had he done to 'keep up with computers' within that 'downtime year' you had?
Take a course of his own? Probably not, right?
Read PC World all day? That isn't much help either.

He should have pushed aside his pride and let you have at it.
Never force anything when dealing with installations/building, whatever. It doesn't fit for a REASON, it doesn't move for a REASON. Step back and figure it out, or ask someone to do so for you. They'll probably do it faster anyway.

You force it, you break it, you suck!

KodiaX987
Dec 9, 2004, 07:39 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD C++ IS STILL WIDELY USED IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD WHAT THE FUCK DO i DO!!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 9, 2004, 04:23 PM
On 2004-12-09 04:39, KodiaX987 wrote:

OH MY FUCKING GOD C++ IS STILL WIDELY USED IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD WHAT THE FUCK DO i DO!!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hehe. Get Linux AND an Apple PC and try to change the world!, one iPod at a time of course.

That Apple store I saw in the mall two weeks ago looked pretty creepy. $249-$499 USD just because you HAVE to upgrade to get a new clicky wheel, photo frame and space for OMFG 3,000 more iTunes only(I think, not sure) songs!

People will also splurge on a pastel colored iPod Mini just, "Because". Of what? the color? you'll just drop it anyway. The pretty colors will blind you or something.

And wow iPods have a lot of accessories. Ads for BMW's with iPod "functionality built into the steering wheel!", check. Mate.
It'll go nice with a TV screen in your steering wheel as well, no room for an air bag, but what do you need that for?!

Sorry in advance for iPod rambling.