PDA

View Full Version : Is Purple "Gay"?

AzureBlaze
Dec 11, 2004, 01:40 AM
I don't know if this is totally a rant...
But is the color purple "gay"? I know that 'gay' is the new word for 'something that is bad and/or not cool.
Example:

"Dude, I just tripped on my shoe lace and broke it."
"That's so gay!"

Everywhere you go you hear people accusing random inanimate objects, animals, events, places, and other people of being gay. Gay=Bad is stemming from what was mentioned in the other post which I did not want to hijack with this one. Homophobic morons generating a negative word association to try and stamp out/degrade/belittle a certain variety of humans. It caught on and now it's some kind of 'fad word' that got annoying.

Now...ordinarily I wouldn't think anything of it, but I have had several people accuse purple of being gay. (it is bad? or actually the real meaning?) Obviously a color is a CONCEPT and that is totally illogical. However..."It just is" is always my answer to 'why?'

See the sig for the color which I am currently painted...One HUc I accused him right back of being red. (well, he IS red) and found out that "red is the color of blood and devils and stuff so it can't be gay" Well what about green? White? Who makes these things up? When is this fad word going to end and spare us all the annoyance? Should I be re painted? Is this all a bunch of nonsense and I should just forget about it? Is this really a rant and I should stop asking questions?

Solstis
Dec 11, 2004, 01:49 AM
Actually, red is "theme" color of Disney's... er... gay day? I forgot the word.

Something to do with AID's awareness, I bet. Purple, or maroon, is actually a pretty neutral color.

*babbles incoherently*

_Sinue_
Dec 11, 2004, 02:58 AM
If purple is "gay", then I must be a raging homo cause it's one of my favorite colors. I picked the purple GameCube and Purple GBA.

Sides.. last I heard, it wasn't just one color that represented homosexuality, it was all of them. The rainbow. So I guess no matter what color you are or like, you have a little gay in you no?

Scrub
Dec 11, 2004, 07:47 AM
I know a devil that happens to have quite a lot of purple on him.

PJ
Dec 11, 2004, 09:36 AM
My favourite colour is purple.

The problem is, it's come to the point where if someone asks me what my favourite colour is, I tell them dark blue =/

Sayara
Dec 11, 2004, 11:12 AM
I never knew colors had such a thing behind it. All i thought colors like red and blue meant emotions... like green was envy or red was anger. I'd say not to let it bother you, it sounds like a stupid thing they do with alot of things just to disapporve them. In blunt, Ignore.

ABDUR101
Dec 11, 2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah, just ignore it. If someone is immature enough to make that big of a deal about a color, and their rebuttle for red is "it's the color of blood and devils and stuff", heh. WASTE OF TIME. Lack of intelligence, move along, nothing to see here.

Daikarin
Dec 11, 2004, 11:52 AM
Blue is manly. Guys, stick to Blue.

Pink is girlish. Girls, stick to Pink.

And if I see another Green out there, he/she/it gets launched out of the planet.

Let's cooperate on making a Blue/Pink world.

This was a form of Hitler's fascism, wasn't it?

navci
Dec 11, 2004, 12:17 PM
On 2004-12-10 23:58, _Sinue_ wrote:
Sides.. last I heard, it wasn't just one color that represented homosexuality, it was all of them. The rainbow. So I guess no matter what color you are or like, you have a little gay in you no?

*applauds*
Well said, mommy! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

WraithVerge
Dec 11, 2004, 02:11 PM
...and found out that "red is the color of blood and devils and stuff so it can't be gay"

LOL You should of persued that shit man. Start accusing him of satanic worshiping and black magic and shit, then report him to ST or something saying this clearly insane, devil worshiper was stalking you and making you're life miserable.

Then when his account gets banned, be like "Score one for teh purple!"

EphekZ
Dec 11, 2004, 02:21 PM
On 2004-12-10 23:58, _Sinue_ wrote:
If purple is "gay", then I must be a raging homo cause it's one of my favorite colors. I picked the purple GameCube and Purple GBA.

Well the "purple" gamecube is well umm Indigo =P

Now people are trying to diss eachother with colors..

wow...idiots -_-

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 11, 2004, 05:01 PM
Some people have said crap to the tone of:
"Knowing the difference between lavender and purple is gay."

Ok great. Now knowledge is "gay". Most people wouldn't care the differences in the hues and types of "purple", so someone who does is gay? Why point it out if you "don't care."

Well about the PSO HUcast thing, is KIREEK a big gay robot now? because he's purple. To that player, yes. To anyone else, no. He is just a purple colored HUcast, nothing more. Why say the color you picked is better than another? Color wars on the internet OMFG LOLZER! RED vs BLUE vs GREEN vs ALL!

Are the Minnesota Vikings a rag tag group of gay NFL players? One word. No.

The same to any other major sports team people support as well. Just citing an example most would know off the top of their heads. Not intended to rage someone about the NFL, Minnesota, or the Vikings.
There would be a lot of people wearing purple at these events.

Outrider
Dec 11, 2004, 08:08 PM
Purple used to be the color of royalty, am I right?

I mean, some colors have a history or background to them only because of how they were used in the past, but colors being gay? I don't even understand how colors would have sexual preferences. I don't even want to ask how colors have sex.

_Sinue_
Dec 11, 2004, 08:17 PM
I don't even want to ask how colors have sex.

Take two hits of high grade blotter acid, and you'll soon have the answer to that.

pixelate
Dec 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.

According to surveys, almost 75 percent of pre-adolescent children prefer purple to all other colors. Purple is a very rare color in nature; some people consider it to be artificial.

Light purple is a good choice for a feminine design. You can use bright purple when promoting children's products.

Light purple evokes romantic and nostalgic feelings.
Dark purple evokes gloom and sad feelings. It can cause frustration.

Royalty and Spirituality: Purple is royalty. A mysterious color, purple is associated with both nobility and spirituality. The opposites of hot red and cool blue combine to create this intriguing color.

Nature of Purple: Purple has a special, almost sacred place in nature: lavender, orchid, lilac, and violet flowers are often delicate and considered precious. Because purple is derived from the mixing of a strong warm and strong cool color it has both warm and cool properties. A purple room can boost a child's imagination or an artist's creativity. Too much purple, like blue, could result in moodiness.

Culture of Purple: The color of mourning for widows in Thailand, purple was the favorite color of Egypt's Cleopatra. It has been traditionally associated with royalty in many cultures. Purple robes were worn by royalty and people of authority or high rank. The Purple Heart is a U.S. Military decoration given to soldiers wounded in battle.

Using Purple: Deep or bright purples suggest riches while lighter purples are more romantic and delicate. Use redder purples for a warmer color scheme or the bluer purples to cool down.

Using Purple with Other Colors: A deep eggplant purple with neutral tans or beige is an earthy, conservative color combination with a touch of the mystery that purple provides. Green and purple can be a striking combination in deep or bright jewel tones or use lighter shades for a cheerful, springlike feel. Pink and purple has feminine appeal.

Purple Color Palettes: These color palettes feature shades of purple combined with shades of green, orange, blue, and yellow.

Language of Purple: The use of purple in familiar phrases can help a designer see how their color of choice might be perceived by others, both the positive and negative aspects.

Good purple

* Purple cow - something remarkable, eye-catching, unusual
* Purple prose - exaggeration, highly imaginative writing (also has negative connotations)

Bad purple

* Purple speech - profanity, raunchy language
* Purple prose - exaggeration, colorful lies
* Purple haze - state of confusion or euphoria, possibly drug-induced, type of marijuana

Purple Words: These words are synonymous with purple or represent various shades of the color purple.

Violet, plum, lavender, lilac, puce, thistle, orchid, mauve, magenta, royal, amethyst, wine, pomegranate, eggplant, mulberry.

In the Western Culture:

Purple and gold are often associated with Royalty, wealth and opulence
Purple and Yellow and other pastels colors represent Easter.

Asian Color Symbolism
Purple: Wealth

Native American Color Symbolism
Purple (Wisdom): Gratitude/healing

Purple

Royalty, spirituality, nobility, spirituality, ceremony, mysterious, transformation, wisdom, enlightenment, cruelty, arrogance, mourning.

Too boring to restrict purple to being gay. Color is too much fun to do that to it.

Zelutos
Dec 11, 2004, 11:28 PM
apparently there is no color "purple". It is known as "magenta". So, how can a color that 'doesn't exist' be gay?

Solstis
Dec 11, 2004, 11:33 PM
On 2004-12-11 20:28, Zelutos wrote:
apparently there is no color "purple". It is known as "magenta". So, how can a color that 'doesn't exist' be gay?

You watch too much tv, boy.

There is SO a purple. Magenta is just a hyper intelligent shade of it.

On-Topic: Yes it is stupid, and pix, thanks for reminding me of my 7th grade art class days.

><

Zelutos
Dec 12, 2004, 12:12 AM
On 2004-12-11 20:33, Solstis wrote:

On 2004-12-11 20:28, Zelutos wrote:

You watch too much tv, boy.

There is SO a purple. Magenta is just a hyper intelligent shade of it.

The only reason i said that was because my Physics teacher wore a purple shirt to school one day and he kept telling us it wasn't purple, it's magenta, there's no such color as purple.......then he called the guy sitting next to me a crack baby XD

navci
Dec 12, 2004, 12:23 AM
On 2004-12-11 19:58, pixelate wrote:

a bunch of information about purple

OMG you are so gay. : wacko :

EJ
Dec 12, 2004, 02:40 AM
Well I believe it just a fad word that will probably disappear in a few years. Same thing happen to me when I went online with my Fomar and he had the purple outfit. I liked it and got tired of the black and red ones that I see every Fomar wearing. People are just morons these days, hopefully this stupid fad of using the word will soon pass.

Daikarin
Dec 12, 2004, 09:10 AM
Well about the PSO HUcast thing, is KIREEK a big gay robot now? because he's purple.

Ironically, most kids think he's "SO kewl!!"

EphekZ
Dec 12, 2004, 11:30 PM
On 2004-12-12 06:10, Even_Jin wrote:

Well about the PSO HUcast thing, is KIREEK a big gay robot now? because he's purple.

Ironically, most kids think he's "SO kewl!!"

No, I used to be like that....its the souleater..or the SUPER UBER COOL 1337 SCYTH!

joluh
Dec 14, 2004, 12:11 AM
Girl wears pink = Girly = Pink is a girl color
Boy wears pink = Gay = No wait Pink is a gay color
Bank is pink = Business = Wait, Pink is money

I think it's all about the person.

However like someone already said, the "symbol" of gay people it's the rainbow, which to be honest I find really stupid.

Colors have lots of meanings, I was just studying them on a class, and I don't think Purple ment gay =|

polishedweasel
Dec 15, 2004, 01:30 PM
Yes, yes it is... Talk to any testosterone head. They'll tell you purple is gay. [/acrimony] (Look it up.)

AUTO_
Dec 16, 2004, 12:47 AM
Guys who like pink, I assure you, doesn't make them gay.

Evil_Althena8
Dec 17, 2004, 06:05 PM
I don't know why people think purple is gay. I think its a cool color in general, but for clothing purposes I could see how guys shy away. It just doesn't seem "right" unless you're into pimp suits. I used to study things like color meanings. The person who posted above said that purple is the color associated with spirituality. That it is. This is because on the spectrum of colors, it is at higher wavelengths than the other colors, which is part of the reason. Colors with lower wavelengths i.e. the color Red are associated with more earthly things. Purple eventually fades into ultraviolet which cannot be seen by the human eye. Red, on the other end of the spectrum fades into infrared. Also, the 7 chakras of the body each correspond to a particular color. The first chakra, located at the pubic region is Red. The last chakra, located at the "crown" of the head is purple. Anyway, I'm sure you all don't care about my jargon so i'm going to shut up now.

Eihwaz
Dec 17, 2004, 11:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't purple in particular the gay pride color? If not now, wasn't it at some point in time? I know the rainbow is, but I think I read somewhere that purple was once something of a gay pride color. >_>

KodiaX987
Dec 17, 2004, 11:52 PM
Actually, they use the rainbow.

Therefore, all colors are gay!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Eihwaz
Dec 18, 2004, 12:18 AM
On 2004-12-17 20:52, KodiaX987 wrote:
Actually, they use the rainbow.

Therefore, all colors are gay!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

XD

Genoa
Dec 31, 2004, 05:04 AM
My favorite color is purple... it's not "gay"... And I remember an event where I said gay as an insult and got totally f00ked over for it. So... I desperatelly avoid the G word at all costs http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
Also, (dunno if this was already said... but I dun care) Purple stands for Royalty... so HA, bow down b4 yo rulA!.... or not... -_-

Three
Jan 1, 2005, 01:28 AM
I always thought purple was a color of royalty, and for some reason I've had a lot of respect for it. My current PSO character has a purple costume, and I think it's really fitting.

But I don't think it's gay. <3

Solstis
Jan 1, 2005, 02:31 AM
On 2004-12-31 02:04, MegamanX wrote:
My favorite color is purple... it's not "gay"... And I remember an event where I said gay as an insult and got totally f00ked over for it. So... I desperatelly avoid the G word at all costs http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
Also, (dunno if this was already said... but I dun care) Purple stands for Royalty... so HA, bow down b4 yo rulA!.... or not... -_-

This topic is back?

d00d, don't be gay.

Haha... Shuri... just caught that one. On a random note, I've found that purple looks kindy spiffy on me. Though the darker, sorta magenta sort.

The lighter purples are usually associated with homosexuality, though there are few people that would EVER wear light purple and think that they are in style. Plum? Blech.

Orange_Coconut
Jan 2, 2005, 12:12 AM
A color in itself cannot be gay. However, people think that certain colors can express one being gay. It's really all just how society has put up this barrier for everything, and sadly colors are included.

Not many men walk around in hot pink or violet shirts mainly because they'll be insulted (by certain people) if they do wear those colors.

Personally I like purple, though I dislike pink. Am I gay? No. Should I be worried that people think I'm gay since I like purple? Well, some people might worry, it depends on how you may react to other peoples reactions. When it comes to colors, I say the more the merrier. If someone has a problem with what I'm wearing, then that's their problem, not mine.

I think it's sad that certain colors are associated with gender. Blue for boy, pink for girl. So if a boy likes pink, other boys will make fun of him. Not all boys, of course, I'm not stereotyping. For example, my cousin was talking about how this guy deserved to be beaten because he was wearing a pink shirt (keep in mind, I have no idea who he was talking about, he was talking to a friend of mine about something). But that right there shows how the gender-color views have affected him.

I can't say they don't affect me too, I bet part of the reason why I don't like pink is because of the basic "rule" about boys and girls. And when I say that, I mean how, at least around here, boys are associated with blue and girls with pink.

Purple, I guess, is a color that people can assume makes one gay if he is wearing it. I find that ridiculous, and kind of sad. But I must say, I chuckle because it's just so silly that this makes so much of a problem for certain people. I should probably give a little laugh at myself seeing as how I put all this time into this argument.

Eihwaz
Jan 2, 2005, 01:44 AM
Actually, I think pink is a kinda nice color. I mean, look at the cover art for "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" by Modest Mouse. That shade of green and that shade of pink go so well together.

I don't like pink enough to wear it, though. :3 Purple is okay, but it must be darker shades. And I really prefer blue to purple anyway. >_>

Scrub
Jan 2, 2005, 02:12 PM
Back at my old school all of the 'gangsters' were wearing incredibly big pink t-shirts.

I am not motherfucking joking.

Sef
Jan 2, 2005, 03:13 PM
On 2005-01-02 11:12, GreyPhantasm wrote:
Back at my old school all of the 'gangsters' were wearing incredibly big pink t-shirts.

Nah, we get tons of guys wearing pink shirts. I can imagine it too, they we're probably the collared, short-sleeved ones too, right?

Nisshoku
Jan 2, 2005, 03:52 PM
From what I can recall, the color Purple represents Sexual Frustration.

...Which in turn, would include 94% of this entire messageboard. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Eihwaz
Jan 2, 2005, 04:18 PM
On 2005-01-02 11:12, GreyPhantasm wrote:

XD

Yeah, I see that a lot in my school too. Some part of my retarded brain tells me it's a part of some gang type thing...*brain meltdown*

Arislan
Jan 2, 2005, 05:33 PM
The purple that was so valuable was called Tyrian purple and it isn't the royal purple we think of. It was a plum color and it was obtained from the "ink sacks" of a particular muscle native to the Mediterranean area. It took tremendous numbers of shells and untold manual labor, (to crack the shells and extract the tiny sack which contained only a few drops of liquid each), to obtain just a pound of dyestuff. One ounce cost the equivalent of 3000 pounds sterling in today's money. Only royalty, and high clergy, could afford such extravagance. Thus comes the phrase "born to the purple". But remember, this was a plum color more towards the red end of the spectrum. The purple we visualize when we think of "royal purple" is more towards the blue end of the spectrum. This and lovely violet and lavender shades were more easily and inexpensively achieved through the use of cheap local plants such as whortleberry, anchusa, and black currant.

Purple has always been considered the color of royalty, because for so long it was very hard to get. Cleopatra needed 20,000 snails soaked for ten days to obtain one ounce of purple dye for her royal clothing.

Knew I remembered something about purple being very very difficult to make as a dye, and therefore expensive. Seems I was just thinking of Tyrian Purple, but close enough.

As far as I knew on the whole gay subject, it wasn't purple per se, but a purple triangle, which, oddly, began more as a lesbian symbol but has taken a more general form instead as time has passed.

Scrub
Jan 2, 2005, 10:41 PM
I always thought the sign that someone is gay is they're attracted to the same sex.

Damn you, society, always changing your ways!

Django
Jan 7, 2005, 12:18 AM
Purple is only "Gay" to those who beleive it is.

navci
Jan 7, 2005, 02:27 AM
You are all gay. Now let it die.

Anubis_
Jan 8, 2005, 01:08 AM
The Color isn't Gay,, It's rather, how Gay you look in the Color..

Lets Take two people in the same attire... like...

Ben Aflek and Snoop Dogg..

And dress them both in s Purple sweet suit...

Which looks Gayier..?

Anyone could tell you, without a survey, most people would say Ben Aflek looks Gayier in a Purple jump Suit..

Has anyone forgotten the pick fad that hit not to long ago..

The ocasional Pink Shirt if worn correctly doesn't take away from the male persona..

If the right people at the right time were the color,, it popular..

It all just boils down to the fact that the Word "Gay" over the years has eveolved from a word that means

Happy..

to Homosexual..

to UnCool...