PDA

View Full Version : Free Music Downloads

_Sinue_
Dec 11, 2004, 08:12 PM
Thought I'd share this site I found with all of you who may enjoy this type of music, or are looking for something a little different to experience. A not to the mods... this site is entirely legal and supported by the artists. A full list of the artists who have given their approval to download their music is on the site, and no music files by other bands are allowed on their FTP servers. (Sorry, no Metallica)

What it is, is a collection of people who normally record and trade live concert shows for the purpose of trading. Rather than the bulky Cassette Tape or CD mail-trade which was done before.. all music is uploaded to the site, reviewed for content (Again, as so that no unapproved music is put up), and then made available for anyone to download as they please.

Music is found in the .shn format, as well as other various high-quality formats. MP3's are not welcome here, due to their poor muddy quality. Only the best recordings possible make it. Streight from the .DAT recorders to your PC in pristine condition. There are .MP3 converters available on the site though, in case you do not have a player that's compatable with that format. Since the quality of music is so high, the file sizes are also very large. Only Broadband connections are allowed in order to optimize the service.

As I said before, most of the bands here are "Jam" bands and BlueGrass. However, a few contemporary artists have also allowed their live shows to be recorded and traded. A short list of some of the more recognisable bands are as follows...

3 Apples High
The Allman Brothers
Bella Fleck and the Fleck Tones
Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
Blind Melon
Blues Traveler
Counting Crows
Dave Matthews Band
The Dead (Grateful Dead, The Others)
DJ Logic
G-Love and the Special Sauce
Grand Theft Bus
Jack Johnson
John Mayer
Keller Williams
Les Claypool (Bucket of Bernie Brains & Flying Frog Brigade)
Oysterhead
Pearl Jam
Phish
RatDog
Sonic Youth
Spin Doctors
String Cheese Incident
The Tragically Hip
Tenatious D
Ween
Wilco

And many others.

Give it a look, and a try, you might find something you like.

http://www.etree.org/

Kuea
Dec 11, 2004, 08:57 PM
o.o;;

this against rules no? >.>

_Sinue_
Dec 11, 2004, 08:59 PM
It's legal, so I don't see why it would be against the rules. Think of it like musical shareware. Everything is detailed on their legal page, which I'll also link to if you want.

AUTO_
Dec 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
Blind Melon
Les Claypool (Bucket of Bernie Brains & Flying Frog Brigade)
Pearl Jam
Sonic Youth
Tenatious D

Thanks. Seeing Ween on the list made me think of that old Beavis and Butthead.

Daikarin
Dec 12, 2004, 09:15 AM
On 2004-12-11 17:59, _Sinue_ wrote:
It's legal, so I don't see why it would be against the rules. Think of it like musical shareware. Everything is detailed on their legal page, which I'll also link to if you want.

A while ago, Abdur101 wrote:
Yeah, as stated in the Forum Rules(which you should thoroughly read), you're not allowed to advertise. Verbal warning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2004-12-12 06:17 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Dec 12, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah, generally don't advertise other sites, use your sig. I know you don't own this site however and are just trying to let others know that such a site exists.

Since the artists are allowing the music to be shared freely, doesn't seem like it'd be against the forum rules(Which don't want warez of any kind on the site). No different than someone posting a link with various game developers having some of their former releases free for download, just a means of letting fellow forum members know what cool stuff is going on.

And the quote of me that you posted jin was to someone posting numerous threads that only linked to products in an online store, which was just blatant and stupid advertising. I ask that quotes by staff don't just get thrown around unless they were used for the exact same thing. Example: I make a reply about advertising products in one thread, and then someone makes another thread doing the same thing, my quote would still make sense and be valid on what was going on.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/12/03/cx_ah_1203tentech.html

And at the bottom of this (http://www.bizreport.com/news/8317/).

[u]Among the best legitimate sites for movies and music:

Etree (http://bt.etree.org) is for devotees of "trade-friendly" bands like Phish and the Dead, who encourage fans to share live recordings, usually in the form of large files that have been minimally compressed to maintain sound quality.[/i]

Overall, I don't care either way, but I'll lock the thread. Thanks for letting us know about it sinue, would be nice if a lot more bands openly shared some of their live performances.