PDA

View Full Version : Which game is better: PSO or Final Fantasy XI

Magician4
Dec 13, 2004, 08:45 AM
Which do you thank is better?

3CdReeR
Dec 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
PSO is the better of the two. Cus the battle system of FFXI really sucks.

_Sinue_
Dec 13, 2004, 12:29 PM
It's a tossup for me. PSO would be better - but there's cheaters. FFXI would be worse, but it's a clean and vibrant gaming community.

FFXI is kind of "PSO"ed.. by the fact that you can't really free-roam many areas like in most MMORPGs. You have "Areas" that you go to, which have definate boarders, and loading times between them. These areas are also highly restricted in where you can go. That's a big negetive for me.. as I was sick of those kind of limitations in PSO.

PSO's combat system is much better.. but at the same time.. the combat scenarios are pretty weak and very repetitive. At least in FFXI, you have the SkillChain system, and need to adjust your playstyle as you gain in levels and abilities. However.. you cannot solo past about lvl 10. In PSO, you always at least have the option to solo when noone else is on.

All in all, I'd say the games are about equal. PSO being a great game, made unplayable by the users.. and FFXI being a unbearable game which is attractive because of it's userbase.

Split
Dec 13, 2004, 06:03 PM
unfortunately, FFXI. 1.Better graphics 2.Longer 3.Better story.(story...exists more) I mean...episode I&II, even together are really short.

Magician4
Dec 15, 2004, 09:36 AM
I have been playing pso for the last two years and I was thinking about getting final fantasy XI to add to my collection and for the online experience on that game. Unfortunatly I can't play both pso and final fantasy XI at the same time because I'm cheap. I'm using this poll to see which game is better in other peoples opinions. In my opinion pso is better mainly because I never played ffXI. What I really want to know is if its really worth $100+ (PS2)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Magician4 on 2004-12-15 06:42 ]</font>

Hrith
Dec 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
On 2004-12-13 15:03, Split wrote:
I mean...episode I&II, even together are really short.
*looks at timer* 5700 hours, yeah, PSO is short, indeed.

I find the FFXI character design awful, that alone puts me off, even if I had no other reasons.

PJ
Dec 15, 2004, 03:57 PM
PSO never really ends. Although, then again, I guess that can be said for any MMORPG (Although PSO is really, the only one I've played).

The story in PSO is very existant. For Episode 1, it's in the quests. In Episode 2, it's... well, I don't know how you COULDN'T find it. But it's an excellent story, IMO.

I haven't played nearly as long as Kef (I think if I put all the hours of my characters together, I might be just over 1000-1500), but I've never played a game for this long without getting bored of it really. Most other games just don't interest me.

ABDUR101
Dec 15, 2004, 06:05 PM
But you can't really classify PSO as a MMORPG anymore than Halo 2 is a MMOFPS. Just because you can hook up with other players online in the limited space and all that, just doesn't classify when you compare it to actual MMORPG's.

Of the two, I dunno. I've never played FFXI, bought it, just never bothered to install it and play, prolly never will. PSO in all it's incarnations which only had subtle improvements over the last kept me at it for a handful of years, and I'm sure if I had a keyboard for my GC I'd still be playing, or if I ever bothered to get the X-box version and play it online and get passed all the annoying younger players, I'd enjoy it as well, but nooope. But I'd say it stands out more than FFXI to me, only because it's what I had played since it was released.

In short. PSO > FFXI

Scrub
Dec 15, 2004, 06:07 PM
On 2004-12-15 09:28, Kef wrote:
*looks at timer* 5700 hours, yeah, PSO is short, indeed.

If I went off and played Viewtiful Joe for 6,000 hours, does that mean the game is longer?

The only time ANY game ever ends is when you hit the Off button.

PJ
Dec 15, 2004, 07:45 PM
On 2004-12-15 15:07, GreyPhantasm wrote:
If I went off and played Viewtiful Joe for 6,000 hours, does that mean the game is longer?

The question is, would you want to play Viewtiful Joe for 6000 hours?

Scrub
Dec 15, 2004, 08:12 PM
If I had, I believe I would. My 2nd favorite game ever...that's why I'm scared to get the sequel.

EJ
Dec 16, 2004, 02:07 AM
On 2004-12-15 17:12, GreyPhantasm wrote:
If I had, I believe I would. My 2nd favorite game ever...that's why I'm scared to get the sequel.

Get the sequel, you know you want to play it forever =D

On the pso vs FFXI thing. I would say PSO because I ever got into FFXI and really didnt enjoy i much and the waiting to make a team to go out when you start can take forever and after getting a team and doing a short mission, everyone on the team want to leave making that hour of waiting for a team pointless and that short time of playing not worth it.

shinobu_seta
Dec 16, 2004, 08:15 PM
I think I like sci fi fantasy better than midieval. That's why I choose PSO over FF. Plus I'm a big PS fan to begin with.

Plus the combat is just so much more better in PSO if you ask me.

KaFKa
Dec 17, 2004, 03:18 PM
dont play FFXI. its a big money sink. i mean seriously, atop the absurd game cost and monthly fee, you still have to pay money for every character you have. (oh noes, god forbid someone wanting to play more than one character.) PSO has successfully drained 2 1/2 years of my life, and i enjoyed every minute of it.

if you really, really want to play a 'true' MMO, and be able to enjoy it casually (and i mean being able to split time between it and another game) i would recommend World of Warcraft. or wait and see if PSU pans out. wichever one.

_Sinue_
Dec 18, 2004, 05:25 AM
Well, even the costs of the game and extra characters wouldn't be so bad if you could actually make some advancement in it. I understand that an MMO is supposed to last you a long time, but Square just throws hurdle after hurdle after hurdle at you. They think they can keep you playing (and paying) longer by hindering your advancement.. rather than just making a fun game.

Even so.. it woudn't even be all that bad.. except that to advance, you NEED to work with other people. Solo'ing is absolutely out of the question. How the hell am I supposed to get my AF gear if I need a bunch of people to spend multiple hours out of THEIR game time.. and then not even reward them at all. They aren't going to care.. they're going to sit their asses in Bastok and peddle their wares.

Now, I was in a fairly large LinkShell (60+ members).. and even still that was tough to get everyone together for a few quests that benefited everybody, rather than just one person.

Most of the game, is simply sitting around and waiting for a group. Sorry, but I'd rather do something productive with my time... like sit on my ass in Bastok and undercut the ore prices by 1/2 or more. (Sure you get less money, but you move far more volume - which equals more money in the end.. plus it pisses people off since some buyers would actually wait till I got online to buy - and I like pissing people off in that game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Orange_Coconut
Dec 19, 2004, 01:52 PM
Id say it really depends on what you like. There are ways you can compare them, yeah, but they are also in different genres. FFXI has a giant world you roam around on, whereas on PSO you need to create a room from the lobby which only 3 other people can join.

Also, you're comparing futuristic with past-life fantasy settings. That can alter ones opinion quite a bit as well.

There are rare monsters in both, but they have a different system for appearing. For example, in PSO you can randomly come across a rare enemy or pipe for one. In FFXI, you need to kill the enemies that have the same skin as the rare enemy you're looking for, and it might appear. however, in PSO you can have multiple rare enemies on one map while on FFXI you cannot.

The partying system is also different because in PSO your 1-4 players pretty much is your party. There is also PKing if you decide to choose battle mode and play through the game. In FFXI, there is no PKing throughout the world, I can't remember if they setup a PKing area, but you're basically alone until you try to form a party or join one.

The class systems are obviously different, you have each class/race/gender to determine what you are in PSO and there is no changing that class once you've picked it, but in FFXI you have complete control over which class you want to be and some classes you need to complete quests for. You can also have a sub-job in FFXI. There is no restriction on what you are depending on your race/gender.

The actual gameplay of each is totally different. While you have action RPG battlestyle with PSO, it's more like a D&D dice-roll system with FFXI (but not quite, atm I'm not sure how to explain it).

Each of the games have quests, but in PSO the entire environment could be changed due to what quest you picked, or the way you run through the levels. In FFXI it's usually gathering items or something, which means you repetitively kill things for items and such.

You then have your rare weapons, there are unique weapons that you can't sell or give to people in FFXI, but in PSO you can trade every item that you get, including the mag your raised. There are restrictions in each game for certain weapons/armor as well.

The costuming is different as well. In FFXI you look like what you wear as your defensive clothes. In both games your weapon changes depending on what you have equipped, but in PSO it's a bit more artsy (To me, at least, I think the items look cooler). In PSO you have a set costume that you can change if you have 10k meseta, but also the shields and mags show up on you. And they change depending on which you have equipped as well.

There are lots of other things you can try to compare, but I personally find it a bit hard to compare both games. However, if given the choice to which is better I'd say PSO. It may be more basic, but to me it's so much more fun with friends. Plus, it's offline and online so you can play it whenever. Also, the updates on FFXI get extremely annoying sometimes.