PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering...

Kizaragu
Dec 15, 2004, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know how to get rid of this bloody search bar that appears everytime I open up windows explorer? (Highlighted in the Red Rectangle)

http://www.auctionimagehosting.co.uk/uploads/41193f5b02.jpg

I don't know how it got onto my computer although I have several Ideas. Either my younger brother installed it, or Possibly It was installed with the Window updater.
I can't see it in task manager so I'm guessing it's integrated with the browser itself.
It's not a huge problem as I can learn to live with it.
It would just be nice if someone knew how to get of it permanently for me.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
In fear of sounding rediculousely lazy, I just get sick of pressing that little red cross every time it appears!
Any help would be appreciated.

Madzozs
Dec 15, 2004, 06:49 PM
Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and find anything that looks out of the ordinary. Any programs you do not use delete. If it seems important, it may be. After that, I have the best solution for you.

STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER!

http://www.mozilla.org is the address I believe. Firefox is the way to go.

AUTO_
Dec 16, 2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah, you could always just switch to Firefox. I haven't noticed any problems with it, and I don't get near as many pop ups (even though my friend assured me you get none).

VioletSkye
Dec 16, 2004, 12:19 AM
Removal Of Soft Wave Search Bar:

1) Start - Control Panel
2) Add/Remove Programs
3) Search for "Window Search"
4) Click Remove then follow instructions.

joluh
Dec 16, 2004, 12:34 AM
Read every time you install something :3
You know you always click on ACCEPT without reading?
Hehe, read a little tiny bit next time >.O
That's how they get in our compys, those bastards!
((shakes angry fist at them))

Solstis
Dec 16, 2004, 01:31 AM
Make sure you keep explorer around (out of site of idiots, mind) just in case you need it.

Firefox works TOO well, sometimes.

Oh, and the best way to fix it is with a shotgun.

Madzozs
Dec 16, 2004, 08:15 AM
If you've got a fever...the only prescription is more cowbell

Kizaragu
Dec 16, 2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice chaps but alas I still can't find the bloody program to get rid of it. :(

I have been thinking of changing browsers anywho for a while, so now seems as good a time as any.

Outrider
Dec 16, 2004, 01:36 PM
HijackThis (http://computercops.biz/HijackThis.html), yo.

Blue-Hawk
Dec 18, 2004, 09:32 AM
It's spyware. Get an anti spyware program and also get a damn firewall. Preferably Norton Internet Securety.

goku4ever
Dec 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
I have norton and have got that aswell. I think I got it when I installed the new update for MSN Plus.

BrokenHope
Dec 26, 2004, 04:52 AM
On 2004-12-18 06:32, Blue-Hawk wrote:
It's spyware. Get an anti spyware program and also get a damn firewall. Preferably Norton Internet Securety.

Firewalls just control incoming and outgoing connections to and from your pc. They won't prevent spyware.

Of course the companys that make them end up adding pop up blockers and all sorts of other stuff that really shouldn't belong in a firewall but meh.

shinobu_seta
Dec 26, 2004, 04:49 PM
I don't think MSN would put anything like that in one of their updates.

If you can't find it in the remove programs menu, you could always do a windows system restore if it wasn't too long ago that it appeared.

start/programs/accessories/system tools/restore

If you're going to continue using internet explore, ALWAYS CLICK NO to EVERYTHING it asks you. Any pop up, any message, ALWAYS hit no. That's how stuff like this appears on your comp.

And stop letting your brother use the comp too, lol.

Tycho
Dec 26, 2004, 05:32 PM
On 2004-12-26 13:49, shinobu_seta wrote:

And stop letting your brother use the comp too, lol.

Yeah, younger brothers make computers die earlier. >.>
But MSN Plus does have spyware. But you can decline installing the extra spyware. I didn't click accept without realizing the question.

goku4ever
Dec 29, 2004, 03:01 PM
no I dont mean msn let it on, I mean msn put it on on purpose as some sort of wierd advertisment thing I guess.