PDA

View Full Version : GC: Lotr: The third age

Eanae
Dec 27, 2004, 12:37 PM
Who else plays this game? IMO, it's one of the best games I've played in a long while. I never really thought LOTR could make it as a turn based game, but it does, and it kicks complete ass.

AUTO_
Dec 27, 2004, 01:20 PM
I turned away from it after I read EGM's review...saying it was basically a boring FFX.

Nai_Calus
Dec 28, 2004, 05:58 PM
On 2004-12-27 10:20, AUTO_ wrote:
I turned away from it after I read EGM's review...saying it was basically a boring FFX.

You actually trust anything game mags say? I laugh at you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

And calling something a boring FFX implies that FFX was actually entertaining. Megaman games are less linear and predictable than FFX. DUCK HUNT is less linear and predictable than FFX.

It sounds vaguely interesting, but PSO still owns my soul.

PJ
Dec 29, 2004, 01:00 AM
On 2004-12-28 14:58, Ian-KunX wrote:
DUCK HUNT is less linear and predictable than FFX.

XD Duck Hunt > j00

Anyways, all my friends have been telling me this game is good. But... *shrug* I just don't trust things by either Electronic Arts or Activision.

...Third Age is Electronic Arts, right?

Eanae
Dec 29, 2004, 10:46 AM
On 2004-12-28 22:00, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:

On 2004-12-28 14:58, Ian-KunX wrote:
DUCK HUNT is less linear and predictable than FFX.

XD Duck Hunt > j00

Anyways, all my friends have been telling me this game is good. But... *shrug* I just don't trust things by either Electronic Arts or Activision.

...Third Age is Electronic Arts, right?

Yeah it is. And the battle system is practically exactly like FFX (kinda funny since the GBA version is like FFTA). But yet, it keeps me entertained.

Outrider
Dec 29, 2004, 07:28 PM
Ian's right. Who said FFX was a good game in the first place?

Anywho, I've gotta say that Return of the King was pretty darn fun, but maybe just because I've enjoyed the co-op mode so much. Glitchy and problematic, but still fun.

My friend and I up at school all pitched in and got Third Age for my roommate's birthday, but he only played an hour or two of it while I was there. That's what happens when your birthday falls within finals time. It seemed good, though.

And actually, the GBA Third Age looks much more like a Fire Emblem clone than anything related to FFT at all.

Deluge
Jan 5, 2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I'll firstly have to disagree with most people in this thread, I enjoyed FFX immensely.

More to the point, LOTR The Third Age is a pretty good game, although I can't say I got that interested in it because I was too busy playing Halo 2. I enjoy the graphical detail and cinematic cutscenes in the game, and the turn based RPG feel is nice to return to after not playing a game like it in a while. I'll probably be gettingback into the game soon.

SophiaSeed
Jan 10, 2005, 06:00 AM
I played and owned the game for all of a week.

Essentally your playing as a group of people chasing after the Fellowship of the ring to help them out. So essentally it's like playing the movies, only sligtly different. And even then, that's sorta lame. For cutscenes, your rewarded with short clips of the actual movies. I figured just as much watch the movies instead of watching these horribly cut up clips from the actual movie. Voice acting wasn't any good either. I hate everyone's voice and acting.

It's pretty, EA does that well, it's got blockbuster looks. But thats not saying much. An bad pretty game, is still a bad game. The gameplay isn't redeeming either. Turnbased RPGS are perfect for me, a person too much free time, but this was just horrible. I end up just fighting the same 4 or 5 things over and over, just with different weapons. Goblins weren't hard to kill when they had swords, they won't be when they have bows and arrows. The attacks are also pretty genaric, no originality in it at all. You might as well taken all the movies and made it in to one turnbased RPG.

yeah, i played it, thought it was bland and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like it, and returned it a few days later, and picked up the LOTR movie instead. Atleast there, i'm going to be horribly disappointed. It just seemed like EA was milking LOTR for all it's worth.