PDA

View Full Version : internet connection problem

Travis IV
Jan 3, 2005, 05:41 PM
ok, i suaully dont hv problems with this sort of stuff but i need some help.ok heers my status...BBA for GC, computer with an SBC yahoo dsl account, and a lan card.my lan card has an ehternet cable coming out of it and into the GC BBA adapter...and yes, the lan card is configured and all good to go, i turn off my firewall and set it to automatically retrieve ip adress...start to go online....it says its connecting, then it goes straight to the trying to connect to the DNS server, (without doing the "welcome to pso thing)it jumps right to that, then it gives me an error 102, saying tht i cant connect and need to configure my settings...
so then i decide to use pppoe setting , like what my comp uses, i put in my user name and passwrod for that, then try and connect, except this time it stays on the connect screen and tells me that make sure your cables are plugged in properly and your isp settings are correct...and yes again, i put in my user name and password correctly...what do i do!!!!, ive connected like this b4 but it hasnt been a while and i dnot know how to fix it...oh and by the way, im running a windows XP PC, my DSL connection is through an ethernet cable, not usb, i am running an ethernet cable from my standard DSL box into my computer modem, then i hv a ethernet lan card in the comp with a cross over cable coming from that to the BBA...its worked like this before, i just forgot how to configure everything to get it to work properly

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: prowler on 2005-01-03 15:22 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jan 3, 2005, 08:54 PM
is ICS enabled?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-01-03 18:03 ]</font>

Travis IV
Jan 3, 2005, 09:04 PM
whats ICS?

VioletSkye
Jan 3, 2005, 09:06 PM
Internet Connection Sharing.

Travis IV
Jan 3, 2005, 09:18 PM
interesting that you ask this, see there is my main connection...and then theres is another category that says local area network...under LAN there is two,1 is local area connection,limited or no connectivity, shared, firewalled...this one seems to have to be on if i go on the internet...then there is local area connection 2....this is from the other card that i put in the comp, which has the ethernet corss over going from it to the GC...when i turn my GC on and the cable is connected it says connected, firewalled, and thats it...so i figured i would need to make that shared, but it seems like whenever i try to make it shared like i do with the first LAN connection, there isnt even an option.

Travis IV
Jan 3, 2005, 09:20 PM
ive also tried turning tried turning off zone alarm...and the windows firewalls tht the LAN connections use...didnt seem to do ne thing...unless i missed something

Travis IV
Jan 3, 2005, 09:44 PM
i just found out that i cant have more than one connection set to shared...does my main SBC DSL connection have to be set to shared...cuz it says allow other computers to connect using this connection...so i figured the SBC DSL connection needs to be the one set to shared...so i switched that , turned off all my virus firewall stuff just to be safe, tried to connect and it couldnt obtain IP adress from DHCP...i treid automatically obatining an IP adres and using my DSL account info...and neither work...so now what?