PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo "Revolution"

Zelutos
Jan 5, 2005, 02:51 AM
Well folks, i just heard of this project, and i must say, i am intrigued. So, i will be digging up information for you all. And here is my first piece about the build of this home console:

Want to know about the next home console by Big N?

Here's what we know.

Nintendo has signed a deal with ATI to make the Graphics card for the Revolution. ATI is also making the card for Xbox 2. (codenam Xenon) Who is making the PS3? No one knows, they might forgoe it in place of another processer. that cell tech is very complex

IBM has confirmed they are Making the processer for the Nintendo home console tentatiivly called Project: Revolution. It is one singular Power PC chip, like the Gamecube but obviosly using the latest technology. IBM is also making the 3 Xbox 2 processers (XBox 2's triple processer set up works similar to A dual processer mac G5, which in all irony they are using to develop games for Xbox 2) PS3 is also in contract with IBM making "Cell" technology. A technology combining Multiple processers to work as a single unit for extreme amounts of power. It will not be ready till 2007.

It will be released "In the same time frame as our competitors" that's what Iwata-san keeps saying. So what is that time frame? Developers are saying Xbox 2 is trying VERY hard to make a fall 2005 release. Wereas Sony has said on record PS3 no earlier than 2007 in America. and even that may be pushed back. Since Nintendo has also said "We have no intention of being last out of the gate" we can assum its sometime inbetween that. You will see the gamecube successer at E3 2005.. Expect N-Rev to have HANDS-ON coverage as we will have our best and brightest reporter, Matt at E3. (he attended the last one too) expect Xbox 2 there as well. Expect a focus on Innovation, that is Nintendo's line on the new systems right now.

Launch titles? Well Right now they are up in the air. Nintendo has confirmed no VARIOUS occasions that Mario 128 (tentative title actually dates back to 2000 at least) May end up on the Revolution. Shigeru Miyamoto has said they have tried it on all ysytems and it didn't fot on DS very well. It is between gamecube and Revolution. Time will tell. And if it doesn't. WE Will.

Reported by: J.J. "Myahon" Remsheart

I will dig up some more info....sorry if i double post or something.

Kent
Jan 5, 2005, 11:56 AM
I'm interested in how they'll make it link up with the DS.

...'Cause this time, I won't have to buy any of those damn cables.

Eanae
Jan 5, 2005, 01:12 PM
On 2005-01-05 08:56, Kent wrote:
I'm interested in how they'll make it link up with the DS.

...'Cause this time, I won't have to buy any of those damn cables.

They'll probably include the DS wireless adapter in the consol itself so the DS recognizes it as another DS and can download stuff to it and such.

Outrider
Jan 5, 2005, 05:27 PM
Erm... PS3 in 2007? Couldn't possibly be happening any later than 2006.

Most of that news is either old or no longer relevant. Check EGM, IGN, and the usual suspects if you wanna get up to date.

Skett
Jan 5, 2005, 05:32 PM
EGM had a interview with Nintendo's Reggie who spoke about Revolution and other things Nintendo. Here is a summery (from gamecubeadvanced.com):

"In the upcoming issue of EGM, Reginald Fils-Aime is asked about where Nintendo is going in the future and to explain some of the company's current strategies.

Reggie didn't spill many beans about Revolution, but explained a few things. Firstly, Nintendo hasn't been outspoken about its upcoming system because they don't want to reveal too much to the competition. Basically, they don't want their ideas stolen. Fils-Aime also stated that Nintendo plans to make Revolution a large splash at the 2005 E3, similar to the big DS unveiling.

As for whether or not Revolution will be online capable, nothing was revealed. However, Fils-Aime did mention how Nintendo wants to create a strong community of gamers. Basically, these two statements seem pretty contradictory, perhaps Nintendo just doesn't want to discuss its plans in this area yet.

Fils-Aime did say they plan (once again) to aggressively pursue the best third party companies to develop games for Revolution and that part of the system's mission is to deliver an innovative experience to gamers.

Finally, it was also stated that Mario 128 will not be pushed back to the Revolution. The game is still in development and will be appearing on the GameCube."

I think it is also important to realise that dispite Nintendo's claims, they have said that online gaming is going to become popular in the next four year.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skett on 2005-01-05 14:33 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Jan 5, 2005, 05:45 PM
Some of the latest rumors I've heard from over at DumbFaqs...

1. The Revolution will no longer include a D-Pad, or A & B buttons. The controller may also include a Gyroscope for motion relay.

My take... I think that statement rings in very much the same tone as the NGC when it launched. Before the specs or working models were shown - Nintendo went on record to say that Nintnedo would be focusing on portables this time around. Everyone at PSX2Central assumed that Sony had forced them out of the market and had them relying on the GameBoy Advance to carry them through. What actually happened though.. was we got a small console - with a handle. Thus, making it more "portable". The lack of "A & B Buttons" could just mark a shift in the way the console will be labeled. After all, I doubt Nintnedo is dumb enough to remove face buttons from their controller, which only alienate 3rd parties hoping to port to their system.

2. The "Revolution" will not support online. Or at least, Onlne will be limited. Nintnedo want's to push "Community" gaming, rather than internet gaming.

My take... This one has the GameFaqers stumped. They don't know what to make of it, except complaining that their new Nintnedo console won't be online. While I can't see Nintnedo putting their full weight behind online functions the next generation.. this lil quip of "information" may be another misleading statement. They may be talking about community gaming in the sence it was with PC's in the late 80's and early 90's when BBS's and Direct Dialing were the height of online multiplayer. Not to say that it would use the same technology, but that it may enable a user to set up a local network in their town so that they can play with other gamers who are close to them.

-----------

As for the above quotes, I'm more interested in the PS3 information than the "Revolution" revelations. Namely, I want to know more about Sony's half-baked plan for parallel processing. Whereas, instead of just your PS3 playing a game.. your console is hooked up to a network and everyone PS3 helps to process and play your game. This is very reliant on BB technology, which will leave a lot of gamers with sub-par systems.

As for multi-chip processing in the same console.. it makes me wonder if Sony hasn't learned their lessons from the last Playstation. If not done -JUST RIGHT-... Sony could easily once again make the hardest to develop for console on the market, and once again.. it may never reach it's own graphical potential. The scarry thing is, it will probably sell regardless.. which will keep 3rd party developers making games for a sub-par system (even by it's OWN standards) and pushing out rushed or crap games just to turn a profit on the loss of revenu spent on figuring the damned thing out.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kevlar_pso
Jan 5, 2005, 09:38 PM
I heart the Big N. Ok, I had to get my inner fanboy out of the way. I'm debating whether or not I will buy the next Nintendo console out of the gate or not. Unless there is a killer app, or a steady stream after the launch, I may wait for the price to drop before I go after some exclusive titles. Besides, my Xbox and GCN all have some good years left in them, and I still have some triple A games I haven't finished yet.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 6, 2005, 04:01 AM
On 2005-01-05 18:38, kevlar_pso wrote:
I heart the Big N. Ok, I had to get my inner fanboy out of the way. I'm debating whether or not I will buy the next Nintendo console out of the gate or not. Unless there is a killer app, or a steady stream after the launch, I may wait for the price to drop before I go after some exclusive titles. Besides, my Xbox and GCN all have some good years left in them, and I still have some triple A games I haven't finished yet.

I feel the same way towards the Nintendo DS.
The only title I'm expecting to play is Metroid Prime:Hunters. It's a long ways off so why plunk down the $150 on new hardware when there is nothing interesting to play on it?

Okay. There's that "Feel the Magic" game and Warioware DS coming too? Heh. Not worth a $150 splurge while I wait for MP:Hunters.

I'll bide the time looking for some GBA RPG's I passed up before. Perfect time now since the GBA has no high profile releases on the horizon as well, with the exception of the Zelda: Minish Cap.
Well, I'm biased though. I own a NeoGeo:Pocket Color with only two games, fighters too. >_<

Damn Nintendo screwed me over one Christmas season when the Platinum color was a "Limited Edition" at $150 when in the coming months it dropped to $99 with included Zelda/Metroid/Double Dash packages, all with a "Limited Edition Platinum" GC. I had to buy it maybe just on impulse.

If Nintendo is "only about the games" then why does each hardware have a multitude of colors in Japan and otherwise? Other consoles usually have many exclusive hardware case colors as well but Nintendo always seems to have THAT much more. Panasonic DVD playing GC anyone? Spice Orange GC(yet the controller color is sold everywhere, but not the console)?

To end on a good note, RE:4 is only less than a week away!

BogusKun
Jan 8, 2005, 02:10 AM
And the Panasonic Q is still expensive ^__^

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 8, 2005, 09:07 PM
On 2005-01-07 23:10, BogusKun wrote:

...and can only play DVD's from one region, If I remember correctly. There may be a way around it that I might have forgotten. -_-

Skett
Jan 9, 2005, 01:41 AM
On 2005-01-08 18:07, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

On 2005-01-07 23:10, BogusKun wrote:

...and can only play DVD's from one region, If I remember correctly. There may be a way around it that I might have forgotten. -_-

You can get a professional to mod it or just buy one already modded. I know because my friend has a modded Q.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 9, 2005, 04:21 AM
Hmm. Nice.

Back ON TOPIC. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I sorta hijacked the thread there ...
Well I'm not up to date on the successor to XBOX.

Fall 2005 was stated in Game Informer, but blah I don't like that magazine much. Also the rumors of "XBOX 2" having HD-less hardware/HD included hardware/Mouse, Keyboard, etc. Hardware bundles. How true are those as of late?

The problem was being said that it might 'confuse' the average consumer when a console hardware would have 3 versions for sale. Well, it shouldn't be a problem for 'gamers' so to speak. Seeing how "hardcore systems" have done in the past, it wouldn't be such a great business move no?

Sega's DC was billed as a hardcore, niche, etc. type of platform. It didn't last all that long. It wasn't just this one factor I know but maybe it contributed to its demise in one way or another?

Its also not too great to be first out of the gate. the Big Three seem to be waiting on eachother's new hardware announcements first, no? Well E3 is the big annual show. Everyone will know within the next few months. Just keep gaming and you won't even notice how fast the time went by. Hopefully. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 10, 2005, 01:26 AM
Here's the big question tho...if these new consoles are to become the pinacle of gaming because of how realistic they are going to be, does this mean potentially the end of gaming consoles until VR gets better? (the Virtual Boy flop)

Outrider
Jan 10, 2005, 02:59 AM
On 2005-01-09 22:26, Jonathan_F wrote:
Here's the big question tho...if these new consoles are to become the pinacle of gaming because of how realistic they are going to be, does this mean potentially the end of gaming consoles until VR gets better? (the Virtual Boy flop)

The Suckage generation will keep clamoring for better graphics and whatnot. But when they don't quite make par with the consumer, what're the companies gonna do?

This is why I think, and I'm not alone in this line of thought, within a generation or two, there could be a real decline in the industry if they don't start kicking out some innovation. We've had very little innovation in the past few years, and nothing earth-shattering coming up in the future. Mostly it's just been quirky little accessories. Somebody's gonna have to change it and change it soon.

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 10, 2005, 04:33 AM
Ah...Where's Dim Dan and JT when you need them?

RuneLateralus
Jan 10, 2005, 05:22 PM
Sounds intriguing, but if they lack online games, that could really hurt this system. This is one of the main factors why the GC is not fairing too well these days.

Also, I thought nVidia doing the GPU's for the PS3?

Outrider
Jan 11, 2005, 12:43 AM
On 2005-01-10 14:22, RuneLateralus wrote:
Sounds intriguing, but if they lack online games, that could really hurt this system. This is one of the main factors why the GC is not fairing too well these days.

Also, I thought nVidia doing the GPU's for the PS3?

Is that even true, though? I've read over and over again that online gaming truly hasn't become very profitable just yet. It's a major selling point for X-Box, but has it ever really been a make-or-break situation when it came to PS2? I don't think online games would have affected the GCN very much. I mean, I completely agree they should up their online support for the next generation, but I don't think it's been too important in the past.

EJ
Jan 11, 2005, 01:47 AM
Xbox is barely making a profit with their Xbox Live support because it so expensive to make a profit and to keep the servers up. It very exensive and the only reason that Xbox having gone bankrupt is beacuse its microsoft and they have the money. I really don't think online gaming it that important right now.

geewj
Jan 11, 2005, 02:32 AM
On 2005-01-10 22:47, ForceEJ wrote:
Xbox is barely making a profit with their Xbox Live support because it so expensive to make a profit and to keep the servers up. It very exensive and the only reason that Xbox having gone bankrupt is beacuse its microsoft and they have the money. I really don't think online gaming it that important right now.

Ok, fine, lets just say online gaming isn't that important right now. But we all know that it'a going to be huge. And who has 99% of the online market console wise right now? Xbox. And when more people look to get online to play with thier friends, what will thier friends most likely be on? Xbox.

So they might not be making much profit right now on it, but they are basically securing the online console market for when it explodes.

Skett
Jan 11, 2005, 10:56 PM
On 2005-01-10 21:43, Outrider wrote:
I've read over and over again that online gaming truly hasn't become very profitable just yet. It's a major selling point for X-Box, but has it ever really been a make-or-break situation when it came to PS2? I don't think online games would have affected the GCN very much. I mean, I completely agree they should up their online support for the next generation, but I don't think it's been too important in the past.

Nintendo appearently thinks that online is going to be big, according to Shiggy in a interview with a Japanese magazine few months back, who said that online is going to be huge within the next four years.

I think lack of online has affected GameCube a bit. I mean, how many Cube owners were dissapointed when Burnout 3 was wiped off the Cube's list because of lack of online?